View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Chickillo Turning Heads

hawaiiansteeler
07-31-2015, 12:25 AM
Steelers Notebook: Chickillo Turning Heads

;Jul 30, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

http://imgix.scout.com/156/1560774.jpg?w=600&fit=max

The Steelers' sixth-round rookie OLB played like a first-rounder, at least at Thursday's practice. Here's the full report:

LATROBE -- July football doesn't normally involve Mike Tomlin acknowledging a rookie's performance, or even a rookie.

But when Tomlin was asked if sixth-round pick Anthony Chickillo showed him anything Thursday, Tomlin said, "Good work."

The outside linebacker caught Tomlin's eye during the backers-on-tight ends drill. Chickillo bested Cameron Clear, a 270-pound rookie tight end who just had his way with first-round pick Bud Dupree.

In the next period, a run-heavy team scrimmage, Chickillo seemingly dominated. In his series with the second team, Chickillo made a tackle-for-loss and another tackle at the line as he spent plenty of time in the opposing backfield.

In a later appearance against the first team, Chickillo beat Marcus Gilbert inside and had a bead on Le'Veon Bell, but Bell cut back sharply to the vacated side as Chickillo learned an NFL lesson.

The converted 4-3 and 3-4 defensive end from Miami also caught the eye of Steelers broadcast analyst Tunch Ilkin, who, during a live spot for Steelers Nation Radio, said, "If you came here knowing the Steelers drafted an outside linebacker in the first round, and these guys weren't wearing numbers, you would think that first-round pick was Anthony Chickillo."

At least at Thursday's practice.

DUPREE'S UPS AND DOWNS

Dupree, the outside linebacker the Steelers did draft in the first round, has yet to get untracked. He did put some pressure on quarterback Landry Jones late in practice, but didn't inspire any emotion -- or even coachly chatter -- during his one-on-one performance against just-signed rookie tackle Kevin Palmer.

Dupree rushed wide but Palmer rode him outside until the whistle. Dupree left the all-too-quiet pit for another drill dealing with coverage backers on the other side of the field. (Chickillo then stepped in and easily beat Palmer for a sack.)

Dupree's best moment came early. On the first snap of the backers-on-tight ends drill, Dupree, matched against Heath Miller, read the running back and got inside of Miller to make the play.

"All right, big boy," Tomlin said to Dupree.

"Hey, Bud!" defensive coordinator Keith Butler hollered. When Dupree turned, Butler pumped his fist.

So it was a mixed showing for Dupree.

At least at Thursday's practice.

HIGHLIGHTS

* Ryan Shazier played the run much better than he did Wednesday. It began in the "Seven Shots" drill for two-point conversions, when Shazier sniffed out a draw to DeAngelo Williams and shot behind the line, spun Williams around by the hips and threw him for a loss.

* Will Johnson handled Jarvis Jones on back-to-back snaps in the backers-on-tight ends drill.

* Rookie tight end Jesse James took Arthur Moats to the last instant of a "rubber match" before Moats claimed a best-of-three win in backers-on-TEs.

* Clear, the physically imposing rookie TE, beat Dupree on three consecutive snaps in the drill.

* During full scrimmage, rookie Sammie Coates took a handoff on a reverse but Jarvis Jones beat the tackle to blow the play up. And then Shazier swooped in to blow the play UP!

* Shazier could've blown Miller up on a pass over the middle but ran past and just tapped the tight end.

* Vince Williams did the same to Landry Jones after DeAngelo Williams whiffed on a blitz pick-up.

* Martavis Bryant again makes the highlight reel with his catch of an extreme back-shoulder fade from Landry Jones while lying on the ground.

* Dri Archer ripped off a run to end the second scrimmage session, and gained 15 yards on an open-field run-after-catch to end the third scrimmage.

* First-year OT Mitchell Van Dyk pushed Dupree to the ground and held off Chickillo's bull rush on back-to-back reps in lineman one-on-ones.

* Kelvin Beachum and Jarvis Jones went a full five reps before Beachum could claim a 3-2 win in one-on-ones.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1568576-steelers-notebook-chickillo-turning-heads

steelreserve
07-31-2015, 04:22 AM
Well, it's practice. But of all the people who I figured might stand out, this guy was not on the list. If we gain something from him, it's double bonus day.

86WARD
07-31-2015, 07:40 AM
Football in shorts.

teegre
07-31-2015, 09:01 AM
At some point, I see Chickillo passing Jones on the depth chart.

Dupree & Chickillo will "eventually" be the starting tandem.

Mojouw
07-31-2015, 10:09 AM

That would be unexpected. In the sense that it is amazing to see the transformation in Chickillo. He lost some weight and now he isn't such a stiff and basically ordinary player. We all know that Jones stinks.

86WARD
07-31-2015, 11:34 AM

Sounds like a duo from Happy Days...

ALLD
07-31-2015, 07:51 PM
It's living the dream playing in your hometown that is motivating him. He may have a lunchpail pedigree, but the guy has a 24k heart.

teegre
08-01-2015, 06:34 AM
That would be unexpected. In the sense that it is amazing to see the transformation in Chickillo. He lost some weight and now he isn't such a stiff and basically ordinary player. We all know that Jones stinks.

What I see in Chickillo is a guy who was highly recruited out of high school, who was then forced to play in the wrong system at Miami... and, because he is now being used more effectively, he will revert back to bring the type of player whom everyone wanted.

(For the record: I'm not in the "Jones stinks" camp. But, I am in the "Chickillo is a steal" camp.)

teegre
08-01-2015, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a duo from Happy Days...

:rofl:

So, you're saying that Chickillo is in charge? :wink02:

86WARD
08-01-2015, 07:30 AM
No...Chickillo would most likely be the one that tangles with Potsie if he and Dupree went head to head with Richie and Potsie and most likely the first to run once Fonzie showed up.

Mojouw
08-01-2015, 11:25 AM
What I see in Chickillo is a guy who was highly recruited out of high school, who was then forced to play in the wrong system at Miami... and, because he is now being used more effectively, he will revert back to bring the type of player whom everyone wanted.

(For the record: I'm not in the "Jones stinks" camp. But, I am in the "Chickillo is a steal" camp.)

Fair enough. I am firmly in the "It is not so much that Jones stinks; it is he will never be athletic enough to generate enough production to justify being picked #17 overall" camp. Kind of like the OLB version of AJ Hawk.

I typically shorten it to "Jones stinks".

polamalubeast
08-01-2015, 11:36 AM
The reports on Jarvis Jones on his training camp is not positive right now.

Jones has not improved compared to last year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-2015-training-camp-stock-report-day-5/

teegre
08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
No...Chickillo would most likely be the one that tangles with Potsie if he and Dupree went head to head with Richie and Potsie and most likely the first to run once Fonzie showed up.

Wait... Chickillo & Dupree are members of the street-gang The Sharks (West Side Story)... and, Fonzie jumps his motorcycle over them.

hawaiiansteeler
08-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Steelers rookie Chickillo hoping to be another chip off the NFL block

August 2, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/05/09/420x_q90_cMC_z_ca0,0,2411,2411/Steelers-linebacker-Anthony-Chickillo-1.jpg

Anthony Chickillo's family has a long NFL history, which he can add to if he makes the Steelers roster.

As part of their rookie orientation, Steelers rookies toured the Pro Football Hall of Fame shortly after the draft. During the tour, Joe Horrigan, the executive vice president of museums and chief communications officer for the Hall of Fame, asked sixth-round pick Anthony Chickillo to step forward from the group.

“He said, ‘Where’s Anthony Chickillo?’ ” Chickillo recalled. “I stepped up, and then he told the story of my family.”

The Chickillo family’s story is already unique. It can become a rare and special tale if Anthony finds a way to make the 53-man roster.

In the long and storied history of professional football in this country, there have been 217 documented sets of fathers and sons who played in the pro ranks. Nick and Tony Chickillo represent one of those families.

Nick played linebacker and guard for the Chicago Cardinals in 1953. Tony played defensive line for the Chargers and Jets from 1984-87.

If Anthony sets foot on the field in one NFL regular-season game, his family will be only the third to ever have three generations of fathers and sons play professional football.

“That would be pretty awesome,” Anthony said. “To be a part of that would be phenomenal. Not a lot of people can say that.”

The Matthews and Pyne families are the only others to have three generations of fathers and sons play professionally.

The Matthews family has placed seven players in the NFL since 1950. Clay Matthews Sr. was a defensive end and defensive tackle for the San Francisco 49ers in the early 1950s. He had two sons who played in the NFL — linebacker Clay Matthews Jr. and offensive lineman Bruce Matthews. The latter is enshrined in the Hall of Fame. Bruce and Clay Jr. also produced two sons who play or played in the league.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/08/02/Steelers-rooloe-Anthony-Chickillo-hoping-to-be-another-chip-off-the-NFL-block/stories/201508020082

86WARD
08-02-2015, 06:59 PM
He should teach Jones how to play the position...

Steeldude
08-02-2015, 11:52 PM
He should teach Jones how to play the position...

Only one problem, Jones seems to be hurt most of the time. I think the Steelers should trade Jones.

stillers4me
08-03-2015, 06:30 AM
At this point, I'm not concerned who gets the job done and when or where he was drafted just as long as someone gets it right!

zulater
08-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Only one problem, Jones seems to be hurt most of the time. I think the Steelers should trade Jones.

Good luck finding someone willing to give you anything for him.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, I'm not concerned who gets the job done and when or where he was drafted just as long as someone gets it right!

For what it's worth. Anthony Brown was drafted in the same round as Chickillo.

TeeTee
08-03-2015, 03:09 PM
The reports on Jarvis Jones on his training camp is not positive right now.

Jones has not improved compared to last year.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/08/steelers-2015-training-camp-stock-report-day-5/

That just hurts.