PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a commitment to the run? Yes/no?

Steeldude
08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
i am curious to see how many steelers' fans believe the steelers will make a commitment to the running game. IMO, it will be the same as last year.

SteelerSal
08-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Trick question...I voted YES because we will commit to the run during Ben's forced vacation and then after that, it's 50/50.

SteelGhost
08-31-2010, 09:47 AM
I voted NO, because the commitment can last only 4 games as Sal said :chuckle:

BigBenFn7
08-31-2010, 09:49 AM
I think they'll be more committed to the run but with arm of Ben returning and the sheer speed of his options at WR(along with the stability of Ward), I think it'll fall off a bit when he returns, but I do think we'll see more running.

Devilsdancefloor
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
I think we will be committed to run more or at least MORE effective running.

stlrtruck
08-31-2010, 10:34 AM
I say No. While they preached about it in the off season, I still season the offensive weapons being more WR than RB.

Steeldude
08-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Trick question...I voted YES because we will commit to the run during Ben's forced vacation and then after that, it's 50/50.

:nod: nice loophole

fansince'76
08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, only because there was a mandate from the FO to commit more to the run. Doesn't mean we will be more effective in the running game, though, and from what I've seen in the preseason so far, it doesn't look good on that front.

Edman
08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Not really. It's just like Marino in Miami.

As long as Ben is here, the Steelers are a passing team. It's not Tomlin, it's not Arians, it's Ben. His prescence alone will ensure the Steelers are a passing team. With all the WR's, the team is built to pass rather than run, even though they can't score in the Red Zone, nor can the O-Line pass pro to save their lives.

What we've seen in 2009 will be seen this year. 300-400 yards of offense, but mediocre scoring. Ben set the franchise record for passing yards last year, but he only had 26 meager touchdowns.

SteelerSal
08-31-2010, 11:07 AM

As long as Ben is here, the Steelers are a passing team. It's not Tomlin, it's not Arians, it's Ben.

Good point.

steeldevil
08-31-2010, 11:46 AM

This is why I said yes as well. There will definately be a commitment to the run while Ben is out. After that? Maybe....

The Duke
08-31-2010, 11:55 AM
For the first four games, probably three cause the 4th is baltimore, yes. After that with ben this is a passing team

I do think they'll be more effective this year though. Last year, for example, they spent the first three games practically with no running game. I doubt they'll have a stretch like that again this year

Short yardage is what worries me more. But with Pouncey/Redman/Johnson/Legursky I think we'll see an improvement

Butch
08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
I voted NO

Did we unleash HELL in December last year? We still have B.A. so I'll stick with the pass.

43Hitman
08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I voted no. The fact that we didn't run the ball on 4th in 1 in what's supposed to be a dress rehearsal told me all I need to know.

steelpride12
08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
I voted yes they will. Never said it will work or be effective, but Arians called it and they will push the run game. With Ben being out the pass game takes a huge blow for the offense and the run game almost has to work and be used a lot for us to score and win games, after Ben returns the pass will be more used and effective.

Wallace108
08-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I voted no. The fact that we didn't run the ball on 4th in 1 in what's supposed to be a dress rehearsal told me all I need to know.

That's exactly what I was thinking. That 4th and 1 play showed me that Arians is still Arians.

cold-hard-steel
08-31-2010, 01:28 PM
If there ain't,then there should be.Especially in 3rd and one,third and two situations.Thats what closes out games. You have got to have a running game to win in this league.You can pass all you want,but if you can't run when you need to,then i say you're in a whole heap of trouble. Passing saves time on the clock, running takes it off the clock. Thats what we have been lacking.I voted for run!

SteelGhost
08-31-2010, 03:32 PM

As long as Ben is here, the Steelers are a passing team. It's not Tomlin, it's not Arians, it's Ben. His prescence alone will ensure the Steelers are a passing team. With all the WR's, the team is built to pass rather than run, even though they can't score in the Red Zone, nor can the O-Line pass pro to save their lives.

What we've seen in 2009 will be seen this year. 300-400 yards of offense, but mediocre scoring. Ben set the franchise record for passing yards last year, but he only had 26 meager touchdowns.

This post makes a lot of sense IMHO :applaudit:

JayC
08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
we're talking about BA here. heck no. even if the run is working he will probably abandon it after halftime. i have a feeling he will run a more balanced offense while ben is suspended and then when hes back will be 60% pass, 40% run.

Steeldude
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
i am also curious as to when the steelers will run. will they pass on 3rd and inches? will they run on 3rd and 7?

Craic
09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
Yes, only because there was a mandate from the FO to commit more to the run. Doesn't mean we will be more effective in the running game, though, and from what I've seen in the preseason so far, it doesn't look good on that front.

Actually, there was not. That mandate was for...

I think we will be committed to run more or at least MORE effective running.
Or, actually, more consistent running, which is essentially the same, given some of the good runs we saw last year.

Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10082/1044933-66.stm#ixzz0yFkSBQdf

For that reason, I say no. I DO believe however, that there will be a bigger commitment to a balanced offense, once Ben gets back. Before that, all bets are off.

Craic
09-01-2010, 12:36 AM

Actually, last year's o line was a better pass protecting line than a run blocking line. Maybe that is why we threw more than run. When you line up 5 wide on third and inches... it JUST MAY BE because you don't trust your run blocking.

X-Terminator
09-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I voted YES, only because I really do see them running more often in situations that call for it. My only concern is being able to run the ball in the red zone - that was the biggest reason why they couldn't score as many TDs last year. If opposing defenses aren't going to at least respect your running game, even if you are a passing team, it's going to make it difficult to put the ball in the end zone.

Galax Steeler
09-01-2010, 04:00 AM
I can see us running a little more then we did last year. Redman is looking pretty darn good and hopefully Dwyer will come around as well.