PDA

View Full Version : Tuitt: Double-Digit Sacks for Me and Heyward a 'Possibility'

polamalubeast
07-27-2015, 07:15 AM
LATROBE -- For $59.2 million over the next six seasons, the Steelers are certainly paying Cam Heyward like a Pro Bowl defensive end. That Heyward has never been selected to the NFL's all-star game, well, that is likely only a matter of time.

After a somewhat slow start to his career, the fifth-year pro has emerged as one of the finest players at his position but admits they're is still room for improvement.

On a defense that ranked 18th last season and recorded just 33 sacks, Pittsburgh's fewest in a quarter century, they're clearly is.
Heyward tied Jason Worilds for the team lead in sacks last season with 7.5, becoming the first non-linebacker to lead the Steelers since Aaron Smith 11 years ago.

This year, under new coordinator Keith Butler the Steelers are looking for a pass rush from wherever they can get it and that includes from the defensive ends.

While the primary responsibility is still to stop the run and hold up blocks for the linebackers, as it was under Dick LeBeau, the charge has been to get the ends more involved.

Heyward and fellow end Stephon Tuitt seem happy to oblige.

read more

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/heyward-and-tuitt-ends-are-means-to-an-end/article_c5e7dc40-33ed-11e5-893a-af10f4171560.html

teegre
07-27-2015, 07:43 AM
I'll say it again:

In about a year, and for the next five seasons, Heyward & Tuitt will be the best DE tandem in the NFL.

Steeldude
07-27-2015, 03:44 PM
I would rather see steady gap assignments than sacks.

TeeTee
07-27-2015, 04:05 PM
All this talk about sacks from our DEs makes me worried the rushing D won't be top notch.

polamalubeast
07-27-2015, 04:11 PM
All this talk about sacks from our DEs makes me worried the rushing D won't be top notch.

The players in defense have talked during the whole off season the importance of stopped the run, so I'm not worried.

TeeTee
07-27-2015, 04:57 PM
The players in defense have talked during the whole off season the importance of stopped the run, so I'm not worried.

I am not overly worried, it's not like Butler is going to become brain dead and not realize you must stop the rush, first and foremost, but I just worry a little if the ends are shooting gaps to get to the QB, they may lose run responsibility in the process on some plays.

st33lersguy
07-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Let's see it on the field.