PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin preaches discipline

stillers4me
08-31-2010, 05:22 AM
By Kevin Gorman (kgorman@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mike Tomlin knows there's a fine line between being aggressive and undisciplined, and the Steelers coach believes that the preseason is the perfect time to teach his players the difference.
"I make no bones about it: I'd rather (have to) say, 'Whoa!' than 'Sic 'em,' " Tomlin said. "We need to say, 'Whoa!' "
They should after watching the Denver film.
The Steelers had six penalties, including four personal-foul calls on defense, and a pair of costly interceptions in the first half of the 34-17 loss to the Broncos on Sunday night at Invesco Field at Mile High.........................

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697196.html

SirHulka
08-31-2010, 05:24 AM
3-4 years into his coaching career is kinda late to start thinking about discipline.

Michael
08-31-2010, 07:27 AM
His overall incompentency is becoming exposed. He needs to cut out the bullshit. He is obviouslly very unsure of himself and trying to cover it. His handling of the quarterback preparation is an example of Tomlin talk.

SteeleReign
08-31-2010, 07:46 AM
The sad thing is, I almost put no stock in anything Tomlin says anymore. He's quickly developing a reputation for being a lot of hot air. He's very intelligent & knows exactly what needs to be said, but not sure if he's doing what needs to be done. Much of his early success was built by Cowher, so the real test will be in the next couple of years. Can Mike build his own success? I put a lot of faith in the Rooneys, so I'm hoping.

SirHulka
08-31-2010, 08:00 AM
I said in a earlier post basically the same thing. It seems the further you get from Cowher, the less disciplined and motivated the team seems. And I'm wondering about some of your drafts lately, too. Of course, as a Browns fan, the apparent deterioration doesn't really bother me as much as it does you guys. lol.

Devilsdancefloor
08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
I said in a earlier post basically the same thing. It seems the further you get from Cowher, the less disciplined and motivated the team seems. And I'm wondering about some of your drafts lately, too. Of course, as a Browns fan, the apparent deterioration doesn't really bother me as much as it does you guys. lol.

youre hoping for deterioration...

Edman
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Something isn't sitting right with this team, and I think we're seeing what the problem is.

Sorry, Tomlin. We're going to have to see results. If the Steelers pull off another 9-7 or less clunker this year, I think we're going to put in serious doubt about his ability to coach. We've all seen what happened with Gruden down in Tampa after that Super Bowl in 2002.

The Steelers used to be a mentally sound and mentally tough team. But since the end last year, something hasn't been feeling right about them. Like something is wrong. I think that 5-game losing streak shattered the team's confidence and swagger. Yeah, they won the final three games, but since then they aren't the Steelers I'm used to seeing. They've become sloppy, slow, and lethargic. They don't have the "oomph" and intensity.

I haven't seen many encouraging signs this preseason, and the loss in Denver makes me question them all over again.

Steeldude
08-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Something isn't sitting right with this team, and I think we're seeing what the problem is.

Sorry, Tomlin. We're going to have to see results. If the Steelers pull off another 9-7 or less clunker this year, I think we're going to put in serious doubt about his ability to coach. We've all seen what happened with Gruden down in Tampa after that Super Bowl in 2002.

The Steelers used to be a mentally sound and mentally tough team. But since the end last year, something hasn't been feeling right about them. Like something is wrong. I think that 5-game losing streak shattered the team's confidence and swagger. Yeah, they won the final three games, but since then they aren't the Steelers I'm used to seeing. They've become sloppy, slow, and lethargic. They don't have the "oomph" and intensity.

I haven't seen many encouraging signs this preseason, and the loss in Denver makes me question them all over again.

:applaudit: good post, edman

Michael
08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
:applaudit: good post, edman

Yes it is a great post. I believe the question now is...Is Tomlin smart enough and courageous enough to make an immediate change within himself and shape up and face reality. He personally needs to improve his play calling on the side lines in critical situation and his clock management. He needs to quit the smooth talk. He isn't fooling anyone any longer.

He has a terrible offensive coordinator and maybe its time to fire a coach during the season and I mean now. Arians is so terrible that he can easily be replaced. Send a message to every one fans and players et al . Ravens fired their offensive coordinator. The Chargers fired their defensive coordinator . During the season . Its not that radical.

Personally I think Tomlin's smart enough but he is too political and lacks the balls to do what he needs to do.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 07:08 AM
youre hoping for deterioration...

I did say APPARENT deterioration.

Actually, I prefer you to be at your best when we beat you. That way, there are no excuses.