PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Kevin Colbert to contract extension

86WARD
07-25-2015, 09:13 AM
The Steelers have announced atwo-year contract extension for General Manager Kevin Colbert that will keep him with the team through at least the 2018 NFL Draft. Financial terms of the contract extension were not disclosed.

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/clubimages/2015/07-July/temp2014_TC_0731_1563--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

“I am happy to announce that we have extended Kevin Colbert’s contract for two additional years,” said Steelers’ President Art Rooney II. “Kevin’s work and footprint on our football operations have been a key factor in our success. We are excited Kevin will continue to lead our personnel department for at least the next three years.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Kevin-Colbert-to-contract-extension/f9ba6115-05f4-4003-8ee0-6481f655a139?campaign=social_20150725_49742106&adbid=10153573254239905&adbpl=fb&adbpr=146175949904

polamalubeast
07-25-2015, 09:19 AM
In the recent year, Colbert was very good in its draft in offense (Bell,Beachum,Pouncey, Descatro, Brown, Bryant, etc.)

Let us hope now that his draft in defense in recent years will be fine

Bluecoat96
07-25-2015, 09:30 AM
They should have hired Dwins. I'm sure he'd tell you he could Colbert's job better. ;)

polamalubeast
07-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Dom Rinelli
‏@drinelli
Since GM Kevin Colbert joined @steelers in 2000, team's .644 winning % (154-85-1) is 3rd best in NFL (NE: .729, IND: .667) - 15 seasons.

https://twitter.com/drinelli/status/624945185781235713

TeeTee
07-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Mixed results. I'm not going freak out over resigning him. Some drafts have been solid, some terrible.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/steelers.html

But they shouldn't have even got out of bed for the 2008 draft. It was Browns-like.

Rashard Mendenhall
RB
Illinois

Limas Sweed
WR
Texas

Bruce Davis
LB
UCLA

Tony Hills
T
Texas

Dennis Dixon
QB
Oregon

Mike Humpal
LB
Iowa

Ryan Mundy

st33lersguy
07-25-2015, 01:27 PM
The 08 and 09 drafts set the team back 2 years but he has hit on some picks the last few years. If some guys from the 14-15 drafts turn out to be hits as well the Steelers could easily be back in Super Bowl contention

86WARD
07-25-2015, 03:18 PM
The 08 and 09 drafts set the team back 2 years but he has hit on some picks the last few years. If some guys from the 14-15 drafts turn out to be hits as well the Steelers could easily be back in Super Bowl contention

This+. I feel they are still climbing out of that mess that is 2008 and 2009. One more season/draft and they may be good to go.

teegre
07-25-2015, 09:18 PM
They should have hired Dwins. I'm sure he'd tell you he could Colbert's job better. ;)

:applaudit:

Some people will rag on Colbert for ANY reason. Unless all of the draft picks turn into All Pros, it's a bad draft. In fact, even if it is an All Pro, some will still complain.

Case in point: Dwins lambasted the Pouncey pick ("Colbert should have drafted Bulaga"). WTF!?! Pouncey is an All Pro... how can anyone argue with that pick!?! It's baffling.

teegre
07-25-2015, 09:29 PM
As abysmal as the 2008 draft was, here is how much I loved the Sweed pick: if we were to redo that draft, I'd take him again.

At the time, it looked like a steal. Who knew that his psyché was so unstable.

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Case in point: Dwins lambasted the Pouncey pick ("Colbert should have drafted Bulaga"). WTF!?! Pouncey is an All Pro... how can anyone argue with that pick!?! It's baffling.

not surprising at all really, Dwins is a blowhard who thinks he knows everything when in reality he doesn't know squat...

teegre
07-25-2015, 09:49 PM
not surprising at all really, Dwins is a blowhard who thinks he knows everything when in reality he doesn't know squat...

He was smart, and very knowledgeable about the draft.

But, the same can be said about Dodens Grav.

86WARD
07-25-2015, 09:50 PM
:applaudit:

Some people will rag on Colbert for ANY reason. Unless all of the draft picks turn into All Pros, it's a bad draft. In fact, even if it is an All Pro, some will still complain.

My thought on a "good" draft is you get one solid starter, maybe two, then two depth players, maybe one and maybe a special teamer and a practice squad guy. Don't have to have all All Pros, but a solid starter and a couple/few contributors is a nice start.

I loooooooooooooooved the Pouncey pick...still do, but Bulaga wouldn't have been a terrible pick. Thaddeus Gibson was a terrible pick in that draft...I hated it now and was pissed when Cincinnati took Atkins.

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2015, 09:57 PM
He was smart, and very knowledgeable about the draft.

But, the same can be said about Dodens Grav.

that's true, but whatever knowledge they might both possess gets lost in their delivery and arrogance...

teegre
07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
My thought on a "good" draft is you get one solid starter, maybe two, then two depth players, maybe one and maybe a special teamer and a practice squad guy. Don't have to have all All Pros, but a solid starter and a couple/few contributors is a nice start.

I loooooooooooooooved the Pouncey pick...still do, but Bulaga wouldn't have been a terrible pick. Thaddeus Gibson was a terrible pick in that draft...I hated it now and was pissed when Cincinnati took Atkins.

I heard a draft expert talking about the draft, and he said that a GM's goal is: one solid starter, one potential starter, and one solid back-up. That's it.

2010 netted two All Pros: Pouncey and AB. Everything else was gravy.

Bulaga would have have been a great pick, too. A solid LT is always a good option. But, according to some, since Pouncey wasn't on "their mock draft", it was a horrible pick. SMH

- - - Updated - - -

that's true, but whatever knowledge they might both possess gets lost in their delivery and arrogance...

Exactamundo!!!

fansince'76
07-26-2015, 03:38 AM

Some people just can't get past the "Free Hernandez" baseball cap and the rap album tweet after the Tebow WC game. The kid just turned 26 this past week. Who didn't do stupid shit when they were the same age? And if I had a nickel for every professional athlete (regardless of age) who made an ass of themselves on Twitter...

And because Pouncey was unlucky enough to miss a Super Bowl due to an injury, he'll also forever be "injury prone" in the eyes of some folks as well. I guess they'd prefer Hartwig the "Human Speed Bump" back in there. :noidea:

And yeah, there are some who will hate a pick for the their entire career if they didn't have the guy in their mock draft, regardless of what the player does or how much they justify their draft status afterward.

86WARD
07-26-2015, 06:34 AM
I heard a draft expert talking about the draft, and he said that a GM's goal is: one solid starter, one potential starter, and one solid back-up. That's it.

Bulaga would have have been a great pick, too. A solid LT is always a good option. But, according to some, since Pouncey wasn't on "their mock draft", it was a horrible pick. SMH

- - - Updated - - -

Exactamundo!!!

So my expectations aren't far off base...

Mojouw
07-26-2015, 01:28 PM
As abysmal as the 2008 draft was, here is how much I loved the Sweed pick: if we were to redo that draft, I'd take him again.

Totally agree. Taking away hindsight, the first two picks in that draft for the Steelers were almost universally regarded as just total home-runs. Many draft pundits and retired pro personnel folks were talking that Pittsburgh had a new big three in Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, and Sweed.

I don't care what anyone says now, almost no one thought those picks were that bad on draft day.

TD's & Beer
07-26-2015, 01:50 PM
First Tomlin, then Colbert

haha

Steelers tell all their amateur GM's to shut the hell up, we don't listen to you..."We are not the Browns!"

TeeTee
07-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Who knew? Doesn't Colbert get paid millions to know?

polamalubeast
07-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Nobody is perfect.

Just have to look at the draft of the patriots in 2006!

TeeTee
07-26-2015, 02:07 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Exactamundo!!!

I don't know if any team/GM doesn't expect their first rounder to be a pro bowler. At least the first half of the draft pick, any how. Of course, they don't all reach that level, but I think when they make the pick they usually feel they will.

I think most expect Dupree to be. Shazier is expected to be. Most of us thought J Jones would be, the team certainly did. DeCastro is fully expected to be. Heyward and Pouncey are already there. Hood and Spin and Fall were flat misses. Timmons, Holmes, Miller, Ben, and Troy, all pro bowl level players, some Hall of Fame level. The GM you heard talking didn't have Steeler expectations and maybe that's his problem.

Mojouw
07-26-2015, 02:21 PM

If you can develop a test or interview that is able to accurately predict the psychological make-up of young people in their twenties, please let me know.

I will gladly attend your Nobel Prize ceremony at my own expense.

fansince'76
07-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Nobody is perfect.

Belicheat misses on TONS of picks, but you'd never know it from all the media slurping...

teegre
07-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Some people just can't get past the "Free Hernandez" baseball cap and the rap album tweet after the Tebow WC game. The kid just turned 26 this past week. Who didn't do stupid shit when they were the same age? And if I had a nickel for every professional athlete (regardless of age) who made an ass of themselves on Twitter...

And because Pouncey was unlucky enough to miss a Super Bowl due to an injury, he'll also forever be "injury prone" in the eyes of some folks as well. I guess they'd prefer Hartwig the "Human Speed Bump" back in there. :noidea:

And yeah, there are some who will hate a pick for the their entire career if they didn't have the guy in their mock draft, regardless of what the player does or how much they justify their draft status afterward.

Exactly. I'm not sure how ANY male lives past the age of 25.

For example, I am a fairly responsible person. Yet, I have a couple of scars from standing on top of my friend's car, and trying to "surf" (a la Teen Wolf). The crazy part is: after I fell off, every single one of my friends had to give it a try. They saw me eat it... but, being young & male, they were compelled to climb on top.

Anyway, Pouncey was a great pick, and anyone who tries to say otherwise has an agenda.

teegre
07-27-2015, 06:40 AM
So my expectations aren't far off base...

Yep, you're thinking is right on track.

teegre
07-27-2015, 06:47 AM
I don't know if any team/GM doesn't expect their first rounder to be a pro bowler. At least the first half of the draft pick, any how. Of course, they don't all reach that level, but I think when they make the pick they usually feel they will.

I think most expect Dupree to be. Shazier is expected to be. Most of us thought J Jones would be, the team certainly did. DeCastro is fully expected to be. Heyward and Pouncey are already there. Hood and Spin and Fall were flat misses. Timmons, Holmes, Miller, Ben, and Troy, all pro bowl level players, some Hall of Fame level. The GM you heard talking didn't have Steeler expectations and maybe that's his problem.

I saw a breakdown of first round picks, and it looks something like this:

30% will be busts.
30% will make the team.
30% will be starters.
6% will be Pro Bowlers.
3% will be All Pros.
1% will make the HOF.

The Steelers have had two HOF picks (Troy, BB), an All Pro pick (Pouncey), several Pro Bowl players (DD, Heyward, Holmes, Miller, Timmons), and a few "starters" (Hood, Spinny). That's not too shabby. I doubt that you'll find another team with a track record for the first round that is anywhere near as good.

teegre
07-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Totally agree. Taking away hindsight, the first two picks in that draft for the Steelers were almost universally regarded as just total home-runs. Many draft pundits and retired pro personnel folks were talking that Pittsburgh had a new big three in Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, and Sweed.

I don't care what anyone says now, almost no one thought those picks were that bad on draft day.

And, honestly, Spinny wasn't "that bad."

If he hadn't a) fumbled in XL, and b) been on Twitter, he would have been remembered as being "pretty good." Instead, he's seen as a bust.

teegre
07-27-2015, 07:19 AM

See below...

Exhibit A:
Nobody is perfect.

Exhibit B:
If you can develop a test or interview that is able to accurately predict the psychological make-up of young people in their twenties, please let me know.

I will gladly attend your Nobel Prize ceremony at my own expense.

teegre
07-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Belicheat misses on TONS of picks, but you'd never know it from all the media slurping...

I've argued about this, with people, for years. They always bring up how Belichick is able to find late-round gems. To which, I always reply: "That's because he HAS to; he's pretty horrible with early-round picks."

I will give him this: he knows that he only hits on about 10% of his picks; thus, he trades back/acquires additional picks, so that he has a higher rate of having one of those guys stick.

7 picks: only one makes the roster
14 picks: maybe two or three make the roster