PDA

View Full Version : Steelers LB James Harrison Says Kyle Orton "Got What He Had Coming"

86WARD
08-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Big, bad and occasionally unnecessarily rough James Harrison lowered his strong shoulder into the Broncos' hopes.

Early in the Broncos' 34-17 preseason victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers on a warm Sunday night at Invesco Field at Mile High, Harrison was returning a fumble that never was. As the Steelers linebacker scooted down the left sideline, the only Broncos player left to stop him was — uh-oh.

Kyle Orton was NOT going to play Tim Tebow and try to tackle the former NFL defensive player of the year, was he? He was. Regretfully, although not tragically, he did.

"I don't know if I hit him or he hit me," Orton said.

Read more:http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15934273?source=email (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15934273?source=email)

86WARD
08-30-2010, 08:29 PM
http://factorydirecttrains.com/images/products/thumb/rr24.jpg

http://www.mth-railking.com/mailimages/30-4127-Dx1.jpg

Devilsdancefloor
08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
deebo had his game face of last night for sure!

BigBenFn7
08-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I have no problem with his comments. The QB has no business trying to mix it up with LB's and if they choose to do so, then the result should be expected.

tube517
08-30-2010, 11:05 PM
Those Kent St linebackers....don't piss them off !

The Duke
08-31-2010, 12:12 AM
That's why I love harrison. The team may be playing at its worst, but he will always be giving 100 percent no matter what

And I'm sure that wasn't only a message to Orton but to every Qb in the league. Hell, every player!

Get outta deebo's way!!

SirHulka
08-31-2010, 02:35 AM
And with the recent fight, and all the stupid personal foul penalties, those comments will help outsiders to think the Steelers are turning into the Bungles East.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2010, 03:25 AM
Nice job Harrison you did nothing wrong keep playing hard.

SirHulka
08-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Yes he did. He should have just shut up and played. He opened himself up for a penalty next time he hits a QB.

fansince'76
08-31-2010, 06:30 AM
Yes he did. He should have just shut up and played. He opened himself up for a penalty next time he hits a QB.

Yep. James did nothing to help himself with the officials with this move.

SteelerSal
08-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Those Kent St linebackers....don't piss them off !

:applaudit: It's amazing how we have had the 2 best football players ever from Kent State on our team.
Steelers get a few more LBers from there and kent St. can push Penn State to be the new Linebacker U. :lol:

Crow-Magnon
08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Seriously, if any Ravens or Bengals LB would have made those comments, the thug references on this site would be off the Richter Scale. Which goes to show how much a fan will let things slide when it happens on their team vs. some else's- especially a rival.

SteelMember
08-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Umm. This is still football, right? They can continually try and pussify it with rules, but it still comes down to defense vs. offense. The QB is always the target from a defensive perspective. A change of possession doesn't change that. Every defensive guy looks for the QB in that situtaion. That's just the way it is.

SteelGhost
08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Umm. This is still football, right? They can continually try and pussify it with rules, but it still comes down to defense vs. offense. The QB is always the target from a defensive perspective. A change of possession doesn't change that. Every defensive guy looks for the QB in that situtaion. That's just the way it is.

Well said SM :thumbsup:

I believe Deebo when he said Orton was running his mouth, so the hit wasn't "free" :chuckle:

O'Malley
08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Harrison did what was expected. If the QB wants to stick his nose in there then expect to get bit. I would expect any linebacker to do the same thing. Kyle is the one to blame, he tried to make a play on James Harrison.It is preseason and he left himself wide open for a hit. Knowing that James would have one eye looking for the QB. I could however gone without the comments but that is the way the league is now days. They(sideline reporters) like the drama.

SteelerSal
08-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Seriously, if any Ravens or Bengals LB would have made those comments, the thug references on this site would be off the Richter Scale. Which goes to show how much a fan will let things slide when it happens on their team vs. some else's- especially a rival.

It's not like this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8mt83ugqDI&feature=player_embedded

steelpride12
08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Harrison can say what he wants to. He did exactly what he should have done and he will continue to do so as expected. This guy is fierce and hungry and will hit anyone no matter the situation or who it is. Watch out this defense is hungry!

Crow-Magnon
08-31-2010, 12:24 PM
It's not like this happened.

I have no problems with the play, as most serious football fans shouldn't. But it is never a good idea to make statements about how another player "deserved" to get whacked, especially a LB talking about a QB.

Seriously, if that would have been Ray Lewis and Roethlisberger, are you telling me you'd feel the same? If you do, I'd bet the ranch you would be in a very small minority on SU. It's basic human nature.

CanadianSteel
08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
I think we could all see what Deebo was thinking looking at the replays....Thats tough Steeler football and great to see Deebo and the "D" go on the offensive when with the football.... howevere I kind of agree he should keep his mouth shut after IMO.

No need to bring unwanted attention to his style of play, and attention from the Refs.

Refs already look the other way when he gets hog-tied rushing the QB

SteelerSal
08-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I think we could all see what Deebo was thinking looking at the replays....Thats tough Steeler football and great to see Deebo and the "D" go on the offensive when with the football.... howevere I kind of agree he should keep his mouth shut after IMO.

No need to bring unwanted attention to his style of play, and attention from the Refs.

Refs already look the other way when he gets hog-tied rushing the QB

+1...I also agree with what he did during the play (all legal) but yeah, he should keep his mouth shut and let his play on the field do the talking.
I'm sure opposing offensive players who had seen that play got the picture without Harrison saying what he did.

cold-hard-steel
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Talk gets nothing done on the field.The play was a clean play. I got the ball now,you have to stop me.I give Orton credit for making the play. He ain't got no Jeff Reed in his blood.Players always talk all the time. James is not really that big of a talker,cept on the field,so that part took me by surprise. Media hype is my take on it. Even still,the dude made the tackle,give him some credit. It could have been anyone on Denvers offense,and i am sure they would have gotten the same blow! You can take that to the bank! You go James,keep doing what you're doing,you do it well.

LLT
08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Talk gets nothing done on the field.The play was a clean play. I got the ball now,you have to stop me.I give Orton credit for making the play. He ain't got no Jeff Reed in his blood.Players always talk all the time. James is not really that big of a talker,cept on the field,so that part took me by surprise. .

I think you may be on to something...that type of media trash talk isnt really typical of Harrison. I think Orton must have really been talking some crap on the field to get under his skin.

SteelerFanInStl
08-31-2010, 09:10 PM

Exactly. Orton needs to just keep his mouth shut.

stillers4me
08-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Imagine this scenario........James Harrison walking back to the bench to face his teammates after being brought down by Kyle Orton. :chuckle:

No. Not happening. Ev-ver.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 02:52 AM
Nothing good ever comes from running your mouth, especially in football. Expect Harrison to get low-balled some time, and as he's lying on the field, the player who hit him will defend himself by saying "Well, he deserved it."

stillers4me
09-01-2010, 06:30 AM
It's one thing if Manning or Brady is lipping off, but a mediocre QB like Kyle Orton who hasn't won a daggum thing in this league should know better than to get mouthy with one of the best defenses in the league. As much as I dislike the the first 2 QBs mentioned, they have at least proven they can torch the best. If Harrison had really wanted to hurt Orton, he could have. He just wanted to send a message. Loud and clear.

I always listen to Serius NFL radio on the way home from work and although I didn't hear the beginning of the conversation last night, they were siding with Harrison on this one. And it's not like James Harrison goes looking for the microphone. He was asked, he answered.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 06:53 AM
the word is 'tact'.

stillers4me
09-01-2010, 06:56 AM
the word is 'tact'.

"Tact" has won the Browns.......how many championships? :chuckle:

If I want "tact" I'll start watching tennis.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 07:00 AM
4 to be exact in the NFL. A total of 8. And if you count all the Cleveland titles, that would be 9.

(And how, exactly, do the Browns fit into a thread about Harrison shooting off his mouth?)

stillers4me
09-01-2010, 07:19 AM
4 to be exact in the NFL. A total of 8. And if you count all the Cleveland titles, that would be 9.

(And how, exactly, do the Browns fit into a thread about Harrison shooting off his mouth?)

We're talking A.C. not B.C. :heh:

And if a Steelers fan goes to a Browns' board and criticizes a Brown's players and coaches, I would expect that smack would be thrown around. As a matter of fact, I don't think it would take much at all to get smacked around at a Brownies board. You know I'm just giving you shit for kicks and giggles. You're a good poster and we are happy to have you. :drink:

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Hmmm. I didn't realize you had to be a Steeler fan to be critical of a Steeler player.

And if we're talking AC, not BC, since it's been over 30 years, we may as well toss out those first 4 Steeler wins, too. Different game now, you know. Let's see. That would only give you what, two titles?

(Just a little smack back at ya)

stillers4me
09-01-2010, 07:36 AM
:drink:
(2 more than the Brownies :heh:)

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 07:42 AM
For now.

OK, that did it. Step outside, and we'll settle this once and for all. (You're only 1400 miles away, surely you can make it by lunch time.)

:bananalama:

GitNoLuv
09-01-2010, 07:43 AM
I have no problem with the play...but Harrison is drawing unnecessary attention to himself. If a 260lb HB (Brandon Jacobs) unloads on a CB dumb enough to get in his way...we cheer it. That's what this play was. Orton deserves any pain he encounters for trying to stop a physical freak of nature (even by NFL standards) on a play in which he's the only guy who can stop him.

The comments will not do anything to help Harrison or the Steelers (and the Browns fan in me is glad.)

stillers4me
09-01-2010, 07:44 AM
But I'm just a little bitty delicate little female. (stillers batting eyes)

The comments will not do anything to help Harrison

:yawn: I think James can take care of business himself. This stuff goes on all the time and I'm willing to bet most other players got a kick out of watching it all go down. It's like Stinko's crap. They hear it, they laugh. Smack talking each other is a way of life and fans and the media make way to big a deal about it. It's talk. It's what they do. In the end, most of these guys would walk through fire for each other at the end of the day. No matter what colors they wear. There's a few guys that truly dislike each other but that's going to happen in all walks of life.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 07:48 AM
The whole thing is, perception is reality. Combine Harrison's comments with the trouble #7 is in, and add in the rash of PF penalties, and the angry smashing of glass, and the fight, and the general public will start thinking 'just another bunch of thugs', whether it's true or not. the Steelers (and the NFL) doesn't need that kind of crap, especially with the apparent animosity between the league and the union. You suppose Goodell and Smith have ever heard about the guy that killed the goose that laid the golden eggs?

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 07:49 AM
But I'm just a little bitty delicate little female. (stillers batting eyes)

Good. That means I got a chance at winning.

:rofl2:

Canadian Steeler Nation
09-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Only a Ravens fan would complain about the ball carrier hitting the tackler too hard. Go back to your crappy, crime ridden city and ask Ray " I dance after a 3 yd gain" Lewis about the bounty he puts on players heads before you call James Harrison a thug.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't think the problem is about hitting hard. I think the problem is saying things you shouldn't be saying.

Dino 6 Rings
09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
When I saw it happen. I jumped up and shouted "YEAH! You just got KNOCKED THE FCK OUT"!

I loved it. Ef everyone on any other team, I don't care about their players, if it happens on the field, and its legal, I hope we smashin in their EFFING SKULLS!

KNOCKED OUT!

YEAH!

Crow-Magnon
09-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Only a Ravens fan would complain about the ball carrier hitting the tackler too hard. Go back to your crappy, crime ridden city and ask Ray " I dance after a 3 yd gain" Lewis about the bounty he puts on players heads before you call James Harrison a thug.

Maybe Canucks can't read. I said nothing about the hit- nothing at all. I said Harrison should have kept his mouth shut, and if that hit would have been by Ray Lewis on Ben, the hue and cry from Steelers fans would be deafening had Lewis made the same comment.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 08:30 AM
And he's wrong about another thing, too. Ray doesn't usually tackle after a 3 yard gain. Normally, it's 5 yards.

Crow-Magnon
09-01-2010, 08:31 AM
And he's wrong about another thing, too. Ray doesn't usually tackle after a 3 yard gain. Normally, it's 5 yards.

Unless it's against San Diego. :thumbsup:

SirHulka
09-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Well, that depends on when they play SD. Early on SD stinks. Then they get hot, go smoking into the playoffs, then flame out.

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2010, 11:16 AM
When I saw it happen. I jumped up and shouted "YEAH! You just got KNOCKED THE FCK OUT"!

I loved it. Ef everyone on any other team, I don't care about their players, if it happens on the field, and its legal, I hope we smashin in their EFFING SKULLS!

KNOCKED OUT!

YEAH!

I think i speak for everyone when i say this: You just scored some major "I'm Retarded" points with that comment.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 11:34 AM
"Only a Ravens fan would complain about the ball carrier hitting the tackler too hard. Go back to your crappy, crime ridden city and ask Ray " I dance after a 3 yd gain" Lewis about the bounty he puts on players heads before you call James Harrison a thug."

This. When you have the ball,you become offensive. The other team has to make the tackle. Noone seems to give it up for Orton making that play.He took down a big man. He took , also the punishment that came with making that play. Get over it already!

O'Malley
09-01-2010, 02:32 PM
He (Orton) also took a big risk on a team already hurt by injuries this year. He IMO was not playing smart. It is preseason and he never had a chance against Harrison. He got what he should have known was coming. You don't put yourself in that position in preseason period. Harrison made the right play on the field but the wrong play on the sidelines IMO he should have just let the play do the talking. With that said I still dislike Orton as much as I can't stand Cutler!

BuddhaBus
09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, it looked like Orton was going for his knees and we all know how sensitive Deebo is about players taking shots at his knees! :mad2:

I agree he should have shut up about it though. No use unnecessarily calling the refs' attention to you if you don't need to.

cold-hard-steel
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
seems like a bunch of media hype to me. This is tackle football. Talking trash off the field,by a man that would no accept an invitation to the White house, does not make sense to me. Orton made that tackle,so what's the big deal? I applaud him for his bravery!Maybe Jeff Reed will watch some film about the last line of defense on a turnover.

Crow-Magnon
09-01-2010, 03:12 PM
He (Orton) also took a big risk on a team already hurt by injuries this year. He IMO was not playing smart. It is preseason and he never had a chance against Harrison. He got what he should have known was coming. You don't put yourself in that position in preseason period. Harrison made the right play on the field but the wrong play on the sidelines IMO he should have just let the play do the talking. With that said I still dislike Orton as much as I can't stand Cutler!

Good post. I agree 100% on all counts.

By the way.....isn't Orton one strange-lookin' mofo?

SMR
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM

I agree with the strange-looking Orton, lol.

The Duke
09-01-2010, 06:12 PM

whatever do you mean?

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/kyle-orton-stoned.jpg

:chuckle:

O'Malley
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM

I was not going to be the first to say it. Something about him I can't stand.

steelerdude15
09-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Sometimes it's better just not to say anything.

O'Malley
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Sometimes it's better just not to say anything.

He is better then Cutler. Denver made out on that trade. With that said if you open your mouth(Kyle) James will close it. But as I and others said earlier he did not need to say anyhting about the hit afterwards. But it makes great TV.:bs: