PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Mike Tomlin to contract extension

Steelman
07-23-2015, 09:16 AM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-sign-Mike-Tomlin-to-contract-extension/69b7b089-2544-4b12-83fe-6c1f3a93ee85

The Steelers have announced a two-year contract extension for Head Coach Mike Tomlin that will keep him with the team through at least the 2018 season. Financial terms of the contract extension were not disclosed.

Craic
07-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Yep, just got the text message myself. Congratulations to Coach Tomlin. I personally think he's well deserving of it.

fansince'76
07-23-2015, 09:18 AM
I want Cowher back! :mob:

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 09:20 AM
I think he deserves it

This is sure that Tomlin is not perfect, but for many, he is easily a top 10 coach

86WARD
07-23-2015, 09:35 AM
I have no comment at this time. Lol...

st33lersguy
07-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Hopefully he can get the young nucleus of players playing at a high level

86WARD
07-23-2015, 10:03 AM
That's easy...the no ping pong punishments should do that.

Craic
07-23-2015, 10:33 AM
That's easy...the no ping pong punishments should do that.

Well, it worked earlier, didn't it? It took a couple of weeks, but they started winning, and ended up playing over .500 ball after that. It was all about the focus. As Redman said, (my summary) "You can't focus on winning when you're coming in, in the morning worried about who's first on the pool table."

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Mike Tomlin achieved great success with the Steelers early on after being hired in 2007. While going through a trying transitional phase in 2012 and 2013, Tomlin never lost his team. And, in 2014, he led the Steelers to their first AFC North title in four years. These are the kinds of things great head coaches do, and Mike Tomlin has always been a great head coach.

read more

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-2015-preview-preseason-news-updates-roster-depth-chart-salary-cap/2015/7/23/9000267/the-standard-for-mike-tomlin-has-always-been-high-and-hes-rarely

salamander
07-23-2015, 11:39 AM
While I disagree with some (ok, a lot) of his decisions, he's still a good coach and is deserving of the extension.

zulater
07-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Assuming Tomlin sees out the life of the contract, that would give the Steelers 3 head coaches in 50 NFL seasons! That's four years worth of coaches for the Raiders, Browns, or Redskins. :chuckle:

Anyway much earned. :applaudit: Yeah I know occasionally the fan boy will come out in me after a tough loss or a rough stretch of season and I'll rant on against Tomlin. But deep down I know not only is he a way above average coach, but also a big part of the Steelers sustained success is the continuity they have at the top. The fact the players know the coach is not going anywhere, that it's they that have to adapt and accept what's being thrown at them makes it all work.

Let's hope there's at least one more Super Bowl win in the life of this contract.

86WARD
07-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Assuming Tomlin sees out the life of the contract, that would give the Steelers 3 head coaches in 50 NFL seasons! That's four years worth of coaches for the Raiders, Browns, or Redskins. :chuckle:

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of who other teams ha love employed at head coach during that same time period...

tube517
07-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Did he "sidestep" the negotiations and let his agent handle it? :chuckle:

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 12:24 PM
On #Steelers coach Mike Tomlin’s extension & raise: I’m told he’ll now be paid among the top 3-5 highest paid coaches in @NFL & all sports.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/624267251731025922

cold-hard-steel
07-23-2015, 12:59 PM
tomlin took a pay-cut for team .i don,t know though 2 more years is not enough time to cement your tenure in this system .

hawaiiansteeler
07-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Tomlin, Steelers a perfect match

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Centerpiece_Misc/06_June/Tomlin_MiniCamp_06172015_CP_1.jpg

Mike Tomlin accepts and understands how the Steelers do business, and he's good at his job.

To him, it’s no big deal. Nothing to celebrate. In fact, the task of even getting Mike Tomlin to talk about the contract extension he signed today, at least in an expansive manner, has a degree of difficulty falling somewhere between pulling teeth and impossible. But the fact the Steelers and their coach executed a two-year extension through the 2018 season, and did so without any leaks during the negotiation process, makes a statement.

From Steelers President Art Rooney II, it’s an acknowledgement of Tomlin’s success at problem-solving, because at the core of being a successful head coach is an ability to solve problems. From Tomlin, it’s an acceptance of the way the Steelers do business, because working for the Pittsburgh Steelers is different. And because it all happened under the radar is just one of the reasons they belong together.

Hired in 2007 following a rather meteoric rise through the list of candidates after his first interview, Tomlin has been faced with a series of problems that always didn’t appear on the surface to be problems and yet could’ve morphed into big problems if he hadn’t handled them well.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Tomlin-Steelers-a-perfect-match/41490c0c-95e3-48bf-9a88-ef582d0ebf5c

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Mike Tomlin’s new deal worth at least $7 million a year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/23/mike-tomlins-new-deal-worth-at-least-7-million-a-year/

hawaiiansteeler
07-23-2015, 02:04 PM
James C Wexell retweeted
Will Graves ‏@WillGravesAP -

Assuming Tomlin coaches through 2018, means #Steelers will have had 3 coaches in 50 years. 50 years! Browns have had 3 since ... 2011.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Some comments are funny!

TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says:
Jul 23, 2015 11:41 AM
Typical Pittsburgh blunder. The guy inherited Cowher’s team and barely beat the weakest SB team in history. Since then, his team has finished 3rd in the AFC as often as it has finished 1st and he’s only made the playoffs half the time. And NO playoff wins since Jan. 2009, not to mention the Tebow humiliation and Big Ben scandal which continues to haunt and drag down the team. Congrats on getting four more years of that. LOL.

jrob23 says:
Jul 23, 2015 1:12 PM
most overrated coach in football. people who like him do so solely based on his persona as portrayed by the media. Based purely on his coaching (or lack thereof) he’s horrible. Poor motivator. Poor leader. Bad with time management. Not an X and O guy. He inherited a franchise QB and two coordinators with SB talent. He walked into a SB ring against maybe the worst team to ever make the SB (Cardinals). Nothing he’s done since (losing to bad teams, getting thoroughly outclassed by GB in SB, poor drafts) has instilled confidence. He is the Doc Rivers of the NFL. As a Steeler fan myself, I keep asking his fanboys to list the things hes good at (what makes him a good coach) and besides being along for the ride since the team has Ben and a great GM and inevitable success that anyone would have in his shoes…I’m met with silence. That’s because he brings absolutely nothing to the table. If you don’t call plays/game plan, if you are a poor leader and bad on the sideline..then what do you do? Oh! He’s black and has some semi quotable press conferences that idiots and the media eat up. Gotcha!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/23/steelers-extend-mike-tomlin-through-2018/

citizenstrange says:
Jul 23, 2015 2:38 PM
This will be Tomlin’s 5th year in a row without a playoff win. He’s shooting for the Marv Lewis 12 years and counting with zero playoff wins.

The only difference is Tomlin inherited a team 2 years removed from winning a Super Bowl with a Hall of Fame defensive coordinator and an offensive coordinator who would go on to win head coach of the year ……

….. and Marv Lewis inherited a 14-year-old dumpster fire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/23/mike-tomlins-new-deal-worth-at-least-7-million-a-year/

fansince'76
07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Unenlightened Yinzers still yearning for the days of when William Laird Cahhhhhhrrrrrr would guide them to 7-9 and remind everyone that there’s a Fine Line in this business …

:lol:

Edman
07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
I can use that same logic for Bill Cowher.

He was the beneficiary of a very weak AFC conference in the 90's, let a good team break up, ignored the QB position, thought Kordell Stewart was a good Quarterback, had two consecutive losing seasons, Got outcoached by Barry Switzer, three straight years of missing the playoffs, and couldn't get his team to perform in the postseason. They were an Aaron Bailey miracle away from the ultimate humiliation yet again in 1995.

….. and Marv Lewis inherited a 14-year-old dumpster fire.

A dumpster fire that is still raging.

Thank God Art II is understanding of transition and not firing the gun on Tomlin after the back to back 8-8's. He understood the Steelers after the Tebow debacle that it was the beginning of the end for that group of players, and it was time for a change.

2014 was the writing on the wall. The Renegade Steelers were gone, and Ben Roethlisberger is taking over.

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 02:51 PM

He was the beneficiary of a very weak AFC conference in the 90's, let a good team break up, ignored the QB position, thought Kordell Stewart was a good Quarterback, had two consecutive losing seasons, Got outcoached by Barry Switzer, three straight years of missing the playoffs, and couldn't get his team to perform in the postseason. They were an Aaron Bailey miracle away from the ultimate humiliation yet again in 1995.

If Tomlin is so bad, then they should be cheering for this new contract.

The bold is not true!

It was the opposite...The Cowboys were more talented, but the Steelers would have had a good chance to win without the two bad interception of O'Donnell.

The onside kick in the fourth quarter was a great call by Cowher

zulater
07-23-2015, 03:02 PM

A dumpster fire that is still raging.

Thank God Art II is understanding of transition and not firing the gun on Tomlin after the back to back 8-8's. He understood the Steelers after the Tebow debacle that it was the beginning of the end for that group of players, and it was time for a change.

2014 was the writing on the wall. The Renegade Steelers were gone, and Ben Roethlisberger is taking over.

You can, but why do so? I don't see anyone on this thread taking great exception to Tomlin's extension. There's always going to be some idiot's on the blogosphere taking a contrarian view on everything under the sun.

TeeTee
07-23-2015, 03:34 PM
IDK, all things considered, I'm not gonna lose my head over this. I mean, the Steelers wear coaching tenure like a badge of courage, and there is some good that comes from long tenures. Personally, I feel they are a tad too proud about it, as if it should be worshiped at an alter, but pretty minor gripe. Obviously, the end of last regular season helped get him a new deal. You wonder if he cobbled another 8-8 season if he would have landed this same deal. I kind of doubt it.

fansince'76
07-23-2015, 03:48 PM
IDK, all things considered, I'm not gonna lose my head over this. I mean, the Steelers wear coaching tenure like a badge of courage, and there is some good that comes from long tenures. Personally, I feel they are a tad too proud about it, as if it should be worshiped at an alter, but pretty minor gripe. Obviously, the end of last regular season helped get him a new deal. You wonder if he cobbled another 8-8 season if he would have landed this same deal. I kind of doubt it.

I see the fans and media make a big deal about it all the time, but I've never seen the Rooneys do so. :noidea:

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Good far outweighs bad in Tomlin's tenure

On the eve of the eve of the start of his ninth training camp as coach -- yes, it's been that long already --- the Steelers announced a two-year contract extension for Mike Tomlin.
Thursday's move hardly comes as a surprise as the Steelers routinely dole out extensions to coaches with two years remaining on their existing contracts. Below, Times Steelers Beat Writer Chris Bradford gives you the best and worst of Tomlin's tenure in Pittsburgh. Spoiler alert: The good far outweighs the bad.

read more

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/good-far-outweighs-bad-in-tomlin-s-tenure/article_bef840b0-3167-11e5-9d45-e336d7b5bda8.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TeeTee
07-23-2015, 04:00 PM
I see the fans and media make a big deal about it all the time, but I've never seen the Rooneys do so. :noidea:

Most (all?) of the talking points come from the top. The things said are no accident, as is the case with most any big corporation, including NFL teams. The themes the announcers cover during games are fed to them during the week by the coaches and players, but where do you think those themes come from? The Rooneys aren't going to personally deliver their intended messages, but that doesn't mean most aren't created at the top.

fansince'76
07-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Whatever...

Craic
07-23-2015, 05:14 PM
You can, but why do so? I don't see anyone on this thread taking great exception to Tomlin's extension. There's always going to be some idiot's on the blogosphere taking a contrarian view on everything under the sun.

That's just stupid. You can't say someone will always take contrarian view.

hawaiiansteeler
07-23-2015, 05:28 PM
I want Cowher back! :mob:

are there any of Cowher's players left that Tomlin can win with? :noidea:

TD's & Beer
07-23-2015, 05:58 PM

Ben

polamalubeast
07-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Ben

and Harrison!!!!!!

tube517
07-23-2015, 06:17 PM
and Harrison!!!!!!

and Earl

zulater
07-23-2015, 07:55 PM

Heath Miller.

While Ben and James Harrison preceded Tomlin I don't think either would consider themselves "Cowher guys". Harrison in particular isn't a fan of Cowher. It wasn't until Cowher left that Harrison finally got a starting spot.

Count Steeler
07-23-2015, 10:41 PM
Obviously.

Keep the coaching staff as stable as possible for the next 3-4 years and let's see what Ben and crew can do. Hopefully D gets stabilized and we are in some SBs.

cold-hard-steel
07-24-2015, 10:22 AM
That's just stupid. You can't say someone will always take contrarian view.

excuse me em emm.

cold-hard-steel
07-24-2015, 10:41 AM
What contrary are you from?

cold-hard-steel
07-24-2015, 02:30 PM
To get for real though,Mikey needs to up his game at least 1 more link. I could not spell notch so i typed link. Knotch?