PDA

View Full Version : Why Steelers should run the ball more in 2015

hawaiiansteeler
07-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Why the Steelers should run the ball more in 2015

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

http://a4.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2014%2F0826%2F005_NFLpreviewteam_ AP_1296x729.jpg&w=267

The Steelers ranked seventh league-wide with 27.3 points per game last season, but 19th in red-zone efficiency at 51.72 percent.

You’ve heard about the 30-30 club. Ben Roethlisberger and Le'Veon Bell could redefine it.

30-20.

Less than 30 sacks for Roethlisberger, more than 20 carries a game for Bell.

These are modest goals that can vault the Pittsburgh Steelers' offense from a high-yardage attack to possibly the league’s most potent one.

Last season felt like a breakthrough for Pittsburgh’s offense, not only because of its 6,577 total yards -- second in the NFL behind the Saints -- but for Roethlisberger’s best sack rate since 2005. His 33 sacks in 16 games symbolized progress for a quarterback who’s been sacked nearly twice as much as Tony Romo. Romo has 242 sacks in nine seasons as starter, and Roethlisberger has 419 sacks in 11 years.

Less hits will equal a longer career for the 33-year-old. And though Todd Haley’s offense protects quarterbacks with a quick passing game, the Steelers’ running game can make that transition easy for Roethlisberger, who doesn’t need to throw the ball 608 times again for Pittsburgh to win.

There are a few reasons for this ...

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/14337/why-the-steelers-should-run-the-ball-more-in-2015

polamalubeast
07-17-2015, 07:21 PM
I disagree....The Steelers are better when they are aggressive to the offense...Maybe the Steelers should run more often in the red zone but for the rest, it's not a need

The greatest strength of Bell is as receiver....I saw this morning that 700 of its 850 yards as receiver was after the catch

And also the fact that the defense is a big question mark, the steelers can not be too patient with the running game if he does not work in the beginning of the game

Last year, the Steelers had 38 pass per game and 26 runs per game(59% pass,41% run) .... it's perfect like that

Craic
07-17-2015, 07:38 PM
I've preached balance for a long time. When everyone was crying for more running because we were passing 52, 53 percent of the time, I said, nope. But an almost 20 percent difference over the season means something is out of balance. I don't think it's the play calling but rather, talent. If the front line is fixed, and having the RBs we have this year, then I think naturally we'll see those numbers even out. Otherwise, if we come up against a team that's overly good at stopping the pass, we're screwed.

hawaiiansteeler
07-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Steelers need to run the ball more to protect Ben Roethlisberger

by Dana Draper on July 16, 2015

http://60maxpowero.com/patriots/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/index_3951.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers identity changed in 2014 from a ground and pound to an extensive passing attack, but throwing the ball more often comes with its own disadvantages.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, having quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the crosshairs too much could open the door for an injury.

Running Back LeVeon Bell is an elite running back, while DeAngelo Williams still has plenty in the tank along with an offensive line that has developed into one of the best in the NFL un O-line coach Mike Munchak.

Fowler writes:

'Less hits will equal a longer career for the 33-year-old. And though Todd Haley’s offense protects quarterbacks with a quick passing game, the Steelers’ running game can make that transition easy for Roethlisberger, who doesn’t need to throw the ball 608 times again for Pittsburgh to win. The Steelers ranked seventh league-wide with 27.3 points per game, but 19th in red-zone efficiency at 51.72 percent. The offense passed the ball nearly 70 percent of the time from the 20 or closer. A tad more balance might be in order to bolster those averages.'

http://60maxpowero.com/patriots/content/steelers-need-run-ball-more-protect-ben-roethlisberger

polamalubeast
07-17-2015, 07:51 PM
I've preached balance for a long time. When everyone was crying for more running because we were passing 52, 53 percent of the time, I said, nope. But an almost 20 percent difference over the season means something is out of balance. I don't think it's the play calling but rather, talent. If the front line is fixed, and having the RBs we have this year, then I think naturally we'll see those numbers even out. Otherwise, if we come up against a team that's overly good at stopping the pass, we're screwed.

In fact, 61% it was a pass play last year, which was not in the top 10 in the NFL.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

The Steelers have just to run more often in the red zone and you have to run more often if the opponent is weak against the run and/or strong against the pass, but for the rest, the pass/run ratio is not a problem

Mojouw
07-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Ugh. These magic benchmark #'s keep showing up in articles. They are nonsense in my opinion. Paying too much attention to benchmark #'s will get you beat every time. Ask Marty Shcottenhiemer.

Look at the Packers in the NFL championship game. They had the Seahawks down and almost out. First half it was aggressive pass first play calling. Second half they took their foot off the gas, didn't go for the knockout punch, and instead turned around and let Lacy run in to the teeth of the defense. Seahawks got some stops, some extra possessions, and they pulled the game out.

What did the Packers head coach say at the end of the game? "It was my goal to get Lacy 30 carries." Like if he did that the magic football wizards were just going to grant them the win. Sure maybe 20+ years ago.

The key for the Steelers is being efficient in the red zone. If more of your drives end up in touchdowns (particularly early in the game) and you get a handful of stops on defense - you should be up a few scores in the 2nd half. Do that and the rushes will come naturally.

I also love the idea that under 30 sacks and the hits don't hurt I guess? What # sack of the season was the one that shattered Thiesman's leg?

hawaiiansteeler
07-17-2015, 08:43 PM
And also the fact that the defense is a big question mark, the steelers can not be too patient with the running game if he does not work in the beginning of the game

I understand your point but sometimes if you have a questionable defense you need to protect them with a good running game that can grind out some first downs, take some time off the clock and keep them off the field...

tube517
07-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Running the ball EFFECTIVELY is what they need to do. (Isn't that what Art 2 was asking for???) There shouldn't be Cowher Power benchmarks of 25-30 carries a game. Let the game play out and do what it is necessary to win. Sometimes, a powerful running game will help you at the END of the game. He Shall Be Le'Veon.

Red zone scoring needs to improve (passing and running). They have been mediocre at that for a while now. Fire Arians.

And don't turn the ball over. Because if you do that, you end up playing catchup or passing to stay in the game. Thank God we have a capable offense.

And keep Mike Munchak happy dammit.

Steeltreal
07-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Let Ben get hit! 50% chance of roughing the passer nowadays anyway . 15 yard Penalty automatic 1st Down!!! -----》》》...

Chidi29
07-17-2015, 10:48 PM
The first "reason" Fowler gives is...

"The Steelers want to be a top-10 rushing defense:"

I'm sorry, what? Am I missing something?

hawaiiansteeler
07-17-2015, 11:59 PM
The first "reason" Fowler gives is...

"The Steelers want to be a top-10 rushing defense:"

I'm sorry, what? Am I missing something?

no, I think the proof-readers at ESPN are the ones who missed something...

polamalubeast
07-18-2015, 07:58 AM
I understand your point but sometimes if you have a questionable defense you need to protect them with a good running game that can grind out some first downs, take some time off the clock and keep them off the field...

The steelers was second in time of possession last year.....

And the best way to protect a defense, this is scored points as often as possible

TeeTee
07-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Concepts like this drive me nuts. How about this? Don't have a mindset to run more or run less; just do whatever gives us the best chance to score, which means win. You don't need to enter a season with any preconceived model, that is moronic. So what if we come into the season, saying, "We must rush more" and teams stack the box with 8-9 players? Then what? Do we still maintain "We must rush more" mentality, or do we simply do what's the wisest for each series or play? Remember the super prolific Bill's offense of the early/mid 90's? That was a beast. Do you know what their philosophy was? According to Jim Kelly, it was this simple: If the safety came up, he'd call a pass play. If the safety dropped back, he'd call a running play for Thurman. It was that simple. So, for us to come in with this "We must run more" mentality, that is plain stupid. Also, don't rush the majority of first downs. The best passing opportunities are often on first down.

86WARD
07-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Concepts like this drive me nuts. How about this? Don't have a mindset to run more or run less; just do whatever gives us the best chance to score, which means win. You don't need to enter a season with any preconceived model, that is moronic. So what if we come into the season, saying, "We must rush more" and teams stack the box with 8-9 players? Then what? Do we still maintain "We must rush more" mentality, or do we simply do what's the wisest for each series or play? Remember the super prolific Bill's offense of the early/mid 90's? That was a beast. Do you know what their philosophy was? According to Jim Kelly, it was this simple: If the safety came up, he'd call a pass play. If the safety dropped back, he'd call a running play for Thurman. It was that simple. So, for us to come in with this "We must run more" mentality, that is plain stupid. Also, don't rush the majority of first downs. The best passing opportunities are often on first down.

QFT!

fansince'76
07-19-2015, 08:38 AM
Here's an idea - how about NOT lining up with only 10 men (effectively) in goal-to-go situations by keeping Archer the hell off the field when we're inside the opponent's 10-yard line? How about NOT lining up James Harrison at TE when we're in a first-and-goal situation?

In other words, somebody needs to stop trying to prove how smart they are and knock it off with the "cute" BS play calling in the red zone:

On a third-and-goal from the 4-yard line, Archer was part of a two-back look with Le'Veon Bell. Archer ran a swing out of the backfield, and Roethlisberger was sacked.

TeeTee
07-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Here's an idea - how about NOT lining up with only 10 men (effectively) in goal-to-go situations by keeping Archer the hell off the field when we're inside the opponent's 10-yard line? How about NOT lining up James Harrison at TE when we're in a first-and-goal situation?

In other words, somebody needs to stop trying to prove how smart they are and knock it off with the "cute" BS play calling in the red zone::salute: