PDA

View Full Version : PRE-CAMP ANALYSIS: WRs

hawaiiansteeler
07-16-2015, 08:16 PM
PRE-CAMP ANALYSIS: WRs

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2014-Photos/2014_Article/07-July/Bryant_Article_662014.jpg

Because of some top talents, making the roster at WR will be difficult.

When it comes to the Steelers’ depth chart at the wide receiver position, there is a short-term view and a long-term view. The short-term view is to assess things in terms of who makes the 53-man roster because those are the decisions that have to be made first. The long-term view is to evaluate the competition among the wide receivers at camp and during the preseason in terms of how impactful the unit can become starting on Sept. 10 in Gillette Stadium.

With Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, and Martavis Bryant at the top of the depth chart, the Steelers’ wide receivers can present a formidable challenge to any pass defense in the NFL. Brown’s 129 catches last season represented the third-highest total in NFL history, Wheaton is an up-and-comer whose forte could end up being his run-after-catch ability, and Bryant is a guy who should get plenty of chances to benefit from Ben Roethlisberger’s ability to throw a football a long way.

As a concession to the short-term view, that’s three roster spots, with a fourth almost certainly to be allotted to rookie Sammie Coates. It took six weeks of regular season activity before Bryant convinced the coaching staff he was ready to play as a rookie, and Coates figures to need some seasoning as well.

“Right, we were hard on him,” said wide receiver coach Richard Mann about Bryant’s rookie season. “We held him out the first six or seven games because he wasn’t ready. And when he was ready, we let him go. The same thing is happening with Sammie Coates now.”

But Coates, the team’s No. 3 pick from Auburn has too much of what NFL teams want in a receiver to get cut as a rookie. Just not a realistic scenario. And if he is able to stay on the practice field and continue the development he was showing during the offseason program …

“(Coates is) showing me he’s a big kid who’s got some speed,” said Mann. “I think he might be tough, because I saw it on tape when I was watching college film. I also think he’s smart enough to learn the offense. With that said, we will see when the pads are on.”

So that makes four. The other spots on this depth chart – and the Steelers could keep as many as six receivers to open the regular season – will go to players with significant roles on special teams.

Darrius Heyward-Bey had a significant role on special teams last season, and he was re-signed during the offseason to a one-year deal. Shakim Phillips and Eli Rogers will get an opportunity to return kickoffs.

Also competing at the position will be C.J. Goodwin, who’s intriguing because of his size – 6-foot-3, 190 pounds – and some playmaking ability he flashed during the offseason program; and dual-position guys Devin Gardner and Tyler Murphy. That’s a total of 10 players competing for as many as six roster spots, with four of those already assumed to be taken.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/PRE-CAMP-ANALYSIS-WRs/8ebac5bf-7081-48dd-8b49-f5e2c46103ec

salamander
07-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Keep a guy like Gardner if he can play and boom, you also have the backup emergency QB.

86WARD
07-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Sight unseen. I'd keep Gardner over DHB and Landry Jones. Immediately.

TD's & Beer
07-17-2015, 12:02 PM
We have by far the best WR group in the AFC North - if not the whole AFC.

That's how you win games.

hawaiiansteeler
07-17-2015, 08:54 PM
SCB Steelers Training Camp Battle Reports: Wide Receivers

You might think this is an open and shut case for the Steelers in terms of who makes the roster but there are a couple of intriguing questions entering camp. The first has become pretty obvious in that it appears Martavis Bryant will become the number two over Markus Wheaton. The second question surrounds the all-important fourth and fifth spots so let’s get started.

Starters: Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Markus Wheaton

If I’m any kind of journalist at all, I’ll give you a glowing couple of paragraphs on AB but let’s be real; I’m no journalist and he needs no introduction.

Bryant didn’t even have a helmet for the first six games of his rookie season before he burst on to the scene with nine touchdown receptions over the rest of the season. His size, speed and freakish athleticism is too much to not have on the field.

Wheaton has yet to live up to his third round draft status in my opinion. That isn’t to say he isn’t capable though. In fact, I think you’ll see him thrive in the slot but that comes with an important caveat. Wheaton has to be on the same page as Ben Roethlisberger and that hasn’t always been the case.

If Wheaton struggles to get the right routes in the right situations then that opens the door for others but for now I believe the slot is Wheaton’s to lose.

Fourth/Fifth Receivers: Sammie Coates and Darrius Heyward Bey

For a team that needed to re-tool its’ defense, the Steelers spent a lot of time looking at receivers with very high draft grades. Therefore, it wasn’t a huge surprise that they choose Coates in the third round of the draft. While there are questions about his hands, his combination of size, speed and athleticism are too much to keep out of the fourth spot.

Bey is a favorite of Head Coach Mike Tomlin for his veteran presence and attitude as well as his leadership on special teams but if a younger player can match DHB in the special teams area then he becomes expendable. The former first round pick of the Raiders has never lived up to that billing.

He was little to no threat in the passing game last season and the only way I see him contributing in 2015 is if there are major issues with injuries ahead of him.

Challengers: C.J. Goodwin, Devin Gardner and Tyler Murphy

to read rest of article:

http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/07/13/scb-steelers-training-camp-battle-reports-wide-receivers/

j-d-s
07-17-2015, 09:00 PM
Sight unseen. I'd keep Gardner over DHB and Landry Jones. Immediately.

"Stone Hands" DHB and Landry Jones should be cut for good anyway. Those guys are a waste of valuable roster spots.

st33lersguy
07-17-2015, 09:17 PM
We are pretty top heavy at the WR position

Chidi29
07-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Unless you plan on keeping Gardner active on game day, he' not going to help you out in am emergency situation.

86WARD
07-18-2015, 07:01 AM
If you got rid of Jones and DHB, you'd need a ST replacement. If that guy winds up being Gardner, you just freed up a roster spot.

salamander
07-18-2015, 08:44 AM
If you got rid of Jones and DHB, you'd need a ST replacement. If that guy winds up being Gardner, you just freed up a roster spot.

This. I know Gardner still has to prove himself, but in theory, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Chidi29
07-18-2015, 11:08 AM

Gardner wouldn't be half the special teams player DHB is. DHB is a monster on the kick coverage unit.

tube517
07-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Gardner wouldn't be half the special teams player DHB is. DHB is a monster on the kick coverage unit.

Chidi, how would you compare DHB to Sean Morey???

86WARD
07-18-2015, 12:24 PM

We don't officially know that and there's nothing to say that the roster spot saved by having Gardner wouldn't produce an even better special teams player.

Chidi29
07-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Chidi, how would you compare DHB to Sean Morey???

DHB much faster. Morey got ran down by Patrick Willis.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't officially know that and there's nothing to say that the roster spot saved by having Gardner wouldn't produce an even better special teams player.

Of course we don't *officially know.* You can say that about anything, anybody, anywhere. Tajh Boyd better than Ben Roethlisberger? We don't officially know he's worse. Collin Rahrig a brighter future than David DeCastro? Same thing, if you want to apply that logic everywhere.

DHB's speed totally screws with opposing team's blocking schemes on kick returns. Gardner isn't going to do that.

hawaiiansteeler
07-19-2015, 08:00 PM
WIDE RECEIVER -- The first five are pretty much set in stone: Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Markus Wheaton, Sammie Coates and Darrius Heyward-Bey. I guess DH-B could lose a spot, but for a second rookie? I can't see C.J. Goodwin having THAT good of a preseason. But perhaps a rookie running back could force a cut here since Archer also spends significant time with WRs in practice and meetings. Eli Rogers, the 180-pounder from Louisville who put up big numbers for Teddy Bridgewater, will flash on occasion and can return kicks.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story ... -the-brink