PDA

View Full Version : Why Ben Roethlisberger Is Now NFL's Second-Best Quarterback

86WARD
07-16-2015, 08:45 AM
There is little doubt that after winning his second MVP award in 2014, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback in the NFL.

What does remain in doubt is who ranks second on that list.

Arguments can be made for Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Drew Brees or Super Bowl XLIX MVP Tom Brady. But when all of the evidence is weighed, the Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger is now the second-best quarterback in the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13262850/why-ben-roethlisberger-now-nfl-second-best-quarterback-nfl

polamalubeast
07-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Agree

And if I would start a franchise, only Rodgers and Luck(because of his age), I would take before Ben

tube517
07-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Who is this KC Joyner??? Doesn't he realize that Ben is just a game manager? That BSPN isn't supposed to give accolades unless your name is Marsha, Peyton, Aaron, Russell, Andrew, Tony or Drew?

This guy should be fired!!!!! :sarcasm: :chuckle:

teegre
07-16-2015, 09:05 AM
Ben is merely a placeholder. Landry Jones is the future.

Aside from Luck (age), I wouldn't trade BB for anyone. Not Rodgers. Not Manning. Not anyone.

hawaiiansteeler
07-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Landry Jones is the future waterboy.

there, fixed that for you :wink02:

SteelerFanInStl
07-16-2015, 05:33 PM
ESPN Insider so I can't read it.

I'm sure that there's plenty of "fans" telling this guy that he's nuts and Ben sucks.

zulater
07-16-2015, 06:42 PM
As great as Ben has been in order for him to truly be accepted as elite by one and all he needs that one season where he's a top 5 MVP candidate and or first or second team All NFL. As much as I love Ben I still hesitate to put him over Terry as the Steelers all time best qb. The reason being Terry had his MVP season and was in fact first team All NFL. Now maybe that makes me ridiculous. But if you never had that one season where you were the best at your craft then that puts you just a little behind the creme dela creme when discussing the best ever.

Anyway if this offense can stay healthy there's every reason to believe that Ben will stand above his peers as the best or damn near it when this season comes to pass. (lol) He's always been that good, but the timing, talent, and system was never there for him to fully show the league over a sixteen game season exactly how great he can be.

86WARD
07-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Last season he should've been Top-5 and second team All NFL. Neither of those will ever happen though because he's not as media loved as Shady or Peyton or Rodgers or Brees.

GBMelBlount
07-17-2015, 06:41 AM
If Ben has another great season and stays classy I predict he will get some love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jRQBGKPaA

86WARD
07-17-2015, 07:14 AM
I don't. And in a weird way, I kinda prefer that.

Rotorhead
07-17-2015, 12:07 PM
I don't know Teegre, Rogers is so dam accurate it is ridiculous. For me it would be Rogers #1 and a toss up between Ben and Luck (age) for starting a new team.

zulater
07-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Last season he should've been Top-5 and second team All NFL. Neither of those will ever happen though because he's not as media loved as Shady or Peyton or Rodgers or Brees.

Yeah that's a good point. The way Peyton tailed off at the end of the season Ben should have been 2nd team All NFL last season.

polamalubeast
07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Yeah that's a good point. The way Peyton tailed off at the end of the season Ben should have been 2nd team All NFL last season.

It was Brady or Romo in the 2nd team last year I think

86WARD
07-17-2015, 02:16 PM
It was Brady or Romo in the 2nd team last year I think

Which Ben was better than both of them. The only player I'd put ahead of Ben last season was Rodgers.

polamalubeast
07-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Which Ben was better than both of them. The only player I'd put ahead of Ben last season was Rodgers.

agree

TeeTee
07-17-2015, 03:35 PM
You can't put him ahead of 4x SB winning Brady. That is nuts. And Brady could easily have 6 rings, not 4. That is insane.

polamalubeast
07-17-2015, 03:40 PM
You can't put him ahead of 4x SB winning Brady. That is nuts. And Brady could easily have 6 rings, not 4. That is insane.

Brady could win just one Super Bowl too.

Except for the Super Bowl against the eagles, all other super bowl of the patriots were very close.

TeeTee
07-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Brady could win just one Super Bowl too.

Except for the Super Bowl against the eagles, all other super bowl of the patriots were very close.

And what about Ben's rings? His QB play was the worst any winning QB in the history of the SB vs. Seattle and the AZ game couldn't have been any closer, even with a pick 6 to end the 1st half which was a 14-point swing in the game. It doesn't matter if you win close games, the bottom line is do you win or lose. Brady has won 4, which ties as the most ever with Bradshaw and Montana.

polamalubeast
07-17-2015, 03:52 PM
And what about Ben's rings? His QB play was the worst any winning QB in the history of the SB vs. Seattle and the AZ game couldn't have been any closer, even with a pick 6 to end the 1st half which was a 14-point swing in the game. It doesn't matter if you win close games, the bottom line is do you win or lose. Brady has won 4, which ties as the most ever with Bradshaw and Montana.

It's just that if we say that Brady could have 6 rings, this is also true that he could only have one

For the career, of course that Brady has a better career, but in the last 2 seasons,Ben has been better

zulater
07-17-2015, 04:24 PM

Based on game performance for last year (regular season) yes you could. And projected into this year yes again for Ben. Not taking anything away from Brady. Obviously he's an all time great and career wise, as much as we hate to admit it, Ben is not in his stratosphere. But if you gave me the choice of one or the other for the 15 season I'm taking Ben.

86WARD
07-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Last season Ben was far and away better than Brady. Previous Super Bowls are irrelevant. If Brady could easily have 6 rings, Ben could easily have 4...but again...it's irrelevant.

teegre
07-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Likewise, Brady could just as easily have 0 rings; he won those four by a combined 13 points (a FG here or there changes the outcome).

Regardless, past performances aren't really relevant for the 2015 season. For example, Peyton Manning has the most MVPs of any active QB, but I highly doubt that he's the frontrunner to win it again this season. Why not? Age... and, other QBs are currently better.

teegre
07-18-2015, 10:02 AM
I don't know Teegre, Rogers is so dam accurate it is ridiculous. For me it would be Rogers #1 and a toss up between Ben and Luck (age) for starting a new team.

I know, man... I know. Over at SFever, Blacksburg Zach & I always had this debate. He'd spend days upon weeks trying to convince me to take Rodgers over Ben... to no avail.

Two reasons:
1. To me, Rodgers is the new Peyton Manning. Outstanding in the regular season, but "one-&-done" in the playoffs.

2. More importantly, I just like BB's style.

Psycho Ward 86
07-18-2015, 01:20 PM
I know, man... I know. Over at SFever, Blacksburg Zach & I always had this debate. He'd spend days upon weeks trying to convince me to take Rodgers over Ben... to no avail.

Two reasons:
1. To me, Rodgers is the new Peyton Manning. Outstanding in the regular season, but "one-&-done" in the playoffs.

2. More importantly, I just like BB's style.

Uh, aaron rodgers is 7-5 in the playoffs including a superbowl win. He also holds the 3rd highest QB rating in the playoffs of all time at 101. 23 TD's against 7 INT, 2983 passing yards., 65.4% completion. And we havent even gotten to monumental losing efforts like in 2009 when the packers lost because the cardinals scored 51 freakin points. And to your 2nd point, style points? Seriously?

teegre
07-18-2015, 03:53 PM
Uh, aaron rodgers is 7-5 in the playoffs including a superbowl win. He also holds the 3rd highest QB rating in the playoffs of all time at 101. 23 TD's against 7 INT, 2983 passing yards., 65.4% completion. And we havent even gotten to monumental losing efforts like in 2009 when the packers lost because the cardinals scored 51 freakin points. And to your 2nd point, style points? Seriously?

BB:
3 SuperBowl appearances
2 rings
10 wins, 5 losses

Rodgers:
1 SuperBowl appearance
1 ring
6 wins, 5 losses

(Here we go... again. Zack spent three years trying to convince me...)

RE: style points:
I like BB's escapability. He's sacked... no wait... he completes a 30 yard pass. There's no one else like BB.

polamalubeast
07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
BB:
3 SuperBowl appearances
2 rings
10 wins, 5 losses

Rodgers:
1 SuperBowl appearance
1 ring
6 wins, 5 losses

(Here we go... again. Zack spent three years trying to convince me...)

RE: style points:
I like BB's escapability. He's sacked... no wait... he completes a 30 yard pass. There's no one else like BB.

I like Ben, but Rodgers is better

3 of 5 losses in the playoffs by Rodgers were when his defense has allowed at least 37 points...And just watch his last loss against Seattle, if packers would have recovered the onside kick, Rodgers would have had his 2nd Super Bowl appearances even if he played hurt last year late in the season

fansince'76
07-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Likewise, Brady could just as easily have 0 rings; he won those four by a combined 13 points (a FG here or there changes the outcome).

I wonder how many more rings Ben might have if he had the added advantage of knowing exactly what opposing defenses were doing for years. Maybe Mendenhall doesn't fumble in that SB if the ball was flatter than the rules allow.

I don't recognize cheaters. Especially cheaters who are bald-faced liars to boot...

SteelerFanInStl
07-18-2015, 05:15 PM
I wonder how many more rings Ben might have if he had the added advantage of knowing exactly what opposing defenses were doing for years. Maybe Mendenhall doesn't fumble in that SB if the ball was flatter than the rules allow.

I don't recognize cheaters. Especially cheaters who are bald-faced liars to boot...

I agree FS76. The Pats and Brady wouldn't have all of the SB wins that they have if they weren't cheating.

TeeTee
07-18-2015, 05:31 PM
It's just that if we say that Brady could have 6 rings, this is also true that he could only have one

For the career, of course that Brady has a better career, but in the last 2 seasons,Ben has been better

Making it to the post season matters (see Manning every year). But kicking ass in the post season matters even more. Brady won another ring, and needed a massive game vs. Balt. to make it there (overcame TWO 21 point deficits). Ben stunk it up in his only play off game, at home, vs. biggest rivals. I give Brady the nod over best season last year.

polamalubeast
07-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Making it to the post season matters (see Manning every year). But kicking ass in the post season matters even more. Brady won another ring, and needed a massive game vs. Balt. to make it there (overcame TWO 21 point deficits). Ben stunk it up in his only play off game, at home, vs. biggest rivals. I give Brady the nod over best season last year.

Ben has not been lucky to lose his best weapon(Bell) in the last game of the year and he had nobody to replace him

It happen a few times to Brady that he lost his best weapon before playing against the Ravens in the playoffs(Gronk in 2012 and Welker in 2009) and every time his team lost against them with a bad performence from him

teegre
07-18-2015, 07:19 PM
I like Ben, but Rodgers is better

3 of 5 losses in the playoffs by Rodgers were when his defense has allowed at least 37 points...And just watch his last loss against Seattle, if packers would have recovered the onside kick, Rodgers would have had his 2nd Super Bowl appearances even if he played hurt last year late in the season

Only 1,093 days left to go, to convince me. LOL

Joking aside, let's look at BB's five losses:

2004: rookie
2007: horrible non-hold against Harrison
2010: lost in a SuperBowl
2011: Tebow completed 9 miracle throws
2012: Bell out (gameplan used that season annihilated)

In other words, for every "Rodgers had no defense" loss, BB has an equally good rationale for his losses. But, BB has an extra ring, and two more SuperBowl appearances.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. Each of the Taperiots' first three SuperBowls came down to a FG. I'd say that videotaping is worth about 4 points per game.

No videotaping = a three one-point losses