PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: What I'd change about the NFL

teegre
07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Here is the latest article from The Point of Pittsburgh. My portion is the second half, but feel free to read the entire article. Enjoy.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/whats-the-big-idea-changes-to-national-football-league/

A few weeks ago, the editors of The Point of Pittsburgh asked me to ponder the following question: If you could change one aspect of the NFL, what would it be? Since I was on vacation, visiting family in Pittsburgh and West Virginia, it was the perfect time to ask my relatives their thoughts on this very question. Overwhelmingly, the answer was something along the lines of: “Get rid of Roger Goodell.”

I chuckled, and simply shrugged this off as Steelers fans being Steelers fans. But as my travels continued, so did the ire towards Roger Goodell...

If you know of anyone else who might enjoy this, feel free to pass it on.

fansince'76
07-14-2015, 10:43 AM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/goodellstalin.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/goodellstalin.jpg.html)

tube517
07-14-2015, 11:36 AM
http://nflrt.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/goodell-time-magazine-draft.jpg

steelreserve
07-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Nicely written. Goodell is a cautionary example in button-mashing. Nearly every major decision I can remember him making has been a knee-jerk to media coverage - from ESPN Concussion Sunday to Ray Rice to Deflategate. That last one he took his time on to appear less reactionary (probably at the urging of the league's new PR firm), but he still can't help himself; the media is still leading him around like a dog on a leash.

cold-hard-steel
07-14-2015, 12:40 PM
yeah this is a form that explains all of the injuries you could incurr while playing football. Please read it carefully and sign,print,and initial please.Fire is hot....be aware if you play with it you could put yourself in a position to get burned.Simple,sign,or walk away.

hawaiiansteeler
07-14-2015, 02:12 PM
http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/qtbpmyjq5of4aylgmsjs.jpg

teegre
07-14-2015, 10:38 PM
Nicely written. Goodell is a cautionary example in button-mashing. Nearly every major decision I can remember him making has been a knee-jerk to media coverage - from ESPN Concussion Sunday to Ray Rice to Deflategate. That last one he took his time on to appear less reactionary (probably at the urging of the league's new PR firm), but he still can't help himself; the media is still leading him around like a dog on a leash.

MEDIA: Roger, you can have one cookie now... or, five cookies in an hour.

GOODELL: I want to smash the cookies now!!!

MEDIA: Uh... okay. You can smash one now... or, five in an hour.

GOODELL: I just punched that wall.

teegre
07-14-2015, 10:51 PM
yeah this is a form that explains all of the injuries you could incurr while playing football. Please read it carefully and sign,print,and initial please.Fire is hot....be aware if you play with it you could put yourself in a position to get burned.Simple,sign,or walk away.

To some degree, you are correct. If you don't want to have bad knees and/or post concussion syndrome at the age of 50, then don't play football.

That said, the game is advancing, players are getting bigger & stronger, and in turn, precautions need to be made to improve player safety. Making the "new" helmets mandatory is the first step (for which I'm still waiting).

Avoiding helmet-to-helmet contact was/is legitimate response... to a degree. The idea is prudent, but the enforcement hasn't been very good. If guys are headhunting (see: Andre Waters in the 90s), then they should get fined; whereas, incidental contact should not be lumped in with the prior. Of course, how does once discern "intent"??? Therein lies the problem.

LLT
07-15-2015, 03:31 AM
To some degree, you are correct. If you don't want to have bad knees and/or post concussion syndrome at the age of 50, then don't play football.

That said, the game is advancing, players are getting bigger & stronger, and in turn, precautions need to be made to improve player safety. Making the "new" helmets mandatory is the first step (for which I'm still waiting).

Avoiding helmet-to-helmet contact was/is legitimate response... to a degree. The idea is prudent, but the enforcement hasn't been very good. If guys are headhunting (see: Andre Waters in the 90s), then they should get fined; whereas, incidental contact should not be lumped in with the prior. Of course, how does once discern "intent"??? Therein lies the problem.

And mandate that teams are no longer allowed to use the older variations of artificial turf...Newer versions like "Matrixturf" has more "give" and cushioning.

teegre
07-16-2015, 08:47 AM
And mandate that teams are no longer allowed to use the older variations of artificial turf...Newer versions like "Matrixturf" has more "give" and cushioning.

Excellent example. There are several ways to improve player safety (better helmets, safer turf) that don't affect the game itself.