PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Broncos return two interceptions for TDs; Dixon shaky with 1st unit

LLT
08-30-2010, 04:58 AM
On the Steelers: Broncos return two interceptions for TDs; Dixon shaky with 1st unit
Monday, August 30, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

DENVER -- Ben Roethlisberger heard loud jeers for the first time this summer, and Dennis Dixon did not get a warm reception either from the Denver Broncos as the Steelers moved within four days of wrapping up their preseason by losing for the first time this summer.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10242/1083699-66.stm#ixzz0y54nL4zg

Texasteel
08-30-2010, 05:13 AM
Didn't think any of the backup QBs looked that good, but this should put to bed the idea of Dixon starting game one.

LLT
08-30-2010, 05:15 AM
Didn't think any of the backup QBs looked that good, but this should put to bed the idea of Dixon starting game one.

Or the notion that Ben's job is at stake.

stillers4me
08-30-2010, 05:15 AM
"It's not Steeler football," Tomlin said of the fouls. "Guys who commit those penalties are going to suffer for it."

Ouch.

Edman
08-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Dennis Dixon was Shaky? I wish he was shaky last night.

He stunk.

steelatl
08-30-2010, 06:36 AM
I wonder how much of Dixon's issues last night were a result of playing vs 1st string and how much was a result of him trying to prove that he's a pocket passer. He's clearly a threat to take off at any time, so let him do it. If it's not there, let Dixon run for the hills.

Killer
08-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Dixon won't be any good unless they let him run, and they won't.
Trying to make him strictly a pocket passer? The only people he scares with his arm is us.

Lefty is good for 2 sacks a qtr, no matter how good the O-line is.

I'd take Tebow in heartbeat over all the Bozos we have at back-up.

BlastFurnace
08-30-2010, 10:13 AM

I agree. Can we please put to rest that Dixon is a viable starter for the Steelers. That #10 on his jersey and 2 bad interceptions brought back some terrible memories.

Dixon is not an NFL QB.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Ouch.

"It's not Steeler football," Tomlin said of the fouls. "Guys who commit those penalties are going to suffer for it."

Okay. Good to hear that. But, is this just another hollow promise? Harrison, as much as I love him, makes those silly penalties on occassion too. If Mike is going to make a statement like this he needs to follow through, whether it's a vet like James or a youngster like Lewis. It's the only way to keep credibility.

SteelerEmpire
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
I think Dixon had a case of the jitters being that he was the center of attraction "getting his big shot" last night. We've already seen what he can do in the previous two games. His main problem is trying to force a pass (remember, Ben had that problem to). But when the team called on him last night, and he didn't come through, its that simple. Dixon is still a work in progress.

steel striker
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM
No doubt Dennis did not look good but, remember he is still very young. It will take time for Dennis to become a NFL starting Qb. I think some people need to realize that and, yes last night did bring back painful memories.

Steeldude
08-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I agree. Can we please put to rest that Dixon is a viable starter for the Steelers. That #10 on his jersey and 2 bad interceptions brought back some terrible memories.

Dixon is not an NFL QB.

another voice of reason

Crow-Magnon
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I think Dixon had a case of the jitters being that he was the center of attraction "getting his big shot" last night. We've already seen what he can do in the previous two games. His main problem is trying to force a pass (remember, Ben had that problem to). But when the team called on him last night, and he didn't come through, its that simple. Dixon is still a work in progress.

Why would he get the jitters even more than when he started against Baltimore last year, in a game that had real meaning? Regardless, he looked bad.

Overall, how do you feel about Pittsburgh's chances for 2010....looking at their performance in the first three pre-season games (the 4th game doesn't really matter that much except for bubble players)? It looks to me like the Steelers are a little off-focus, which is understandable considering what they've weathered this off-season. Then again, as a rule I don't place a lot of stock in pre-season games as far as win-loss records and scoring is concerned.

ALLD
08-30-2010, 05:08 PM
When Ben got the emergency starting call in 2004 he ripped off 13 straight victories and then won a Super Bowl in his second year. Dennis Dixon is no Ben Roethlisberger or starting NFL QB.

SteelerEmpire
08-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Why would he get the jitters even more than when he started against Baltimore last year, in a game that had real meaning? Regardless, he looked bad.

Overall, how do you feel about Pittsburgh's chances for 2010....looking at their performance in the first three pre-season games (the 4th game doesn't really matter that much except for bubble players)? It looks to me like the Steelers are a little off-focus, which is understandable considering what they've weathered this off-season. Then again, as a rule I don't place a lot of stock in pre-season games as far as win-loss records and scoring is concerned.

The game strategy changed up from the last two previous games. Wallace ran "way" more inside and curl routes, Dixon ran with the 1st stringers (Dixon was not confident, he was afraid), Redman was almost non-existent. You could tell the Steelers were out of their game...
But early on, those Steeler penalties really gave Denver the momentum...

GoSlash27
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I'll go out on a limb here: With the exception of the one ill-advised pass, I don't think Dixon looked bad. Certainly no worse than Lefty or Batch.
The Denver results:
Dixon 9 for 16 2 picks and 11 yards per carry rushing. (against the 1st string)
Lefty 0 for 4 1 sack and no rushes (against the 2nd string)
Batch 3 for 4 1 TD 1 pick and no rushes (against the 3rd string)
I still say Dixon's our best bet for the first 5 games, but as I've said before: We cannot hobble him by forcing him into being someone he's not.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2010, 03:22 AM
Dixon did make some bad choices and probably won't be starting week one but I also believe that he has the talent to play and will learn from his mistakes.