PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Rookies Forecast

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Rookies Forecast

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Walt's 2015 NFL Draft Grades:

22. Alvin Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky: A+ Grade

Wow, how does this continue to happen? It seems like every year, great prospects slip in the draft and fall into Pittsburgh's lap. I thought it was going to be Shane Ray or Randy Gregory, but it turned out to be another pass-rusher. Alvin Dupree was getting top-10 buzz prior to the draft. I thought that was a bit too high for him, but I figured the No. 13 spot was the right area for him. I thought the Saints would pick him when they were on the clock, but apparently not. Dupree has tremendous upside and should provide a big boost in terms of getting to the quarterback.

56. Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss: C- Grade

Call me shocked that the Steelers chose Senquez Golson over Alex Carter or P.J. Williams... or a bunch of other cornerbacks. First of all, Golson is just 5-foot-9, so he doesn't have the size Pittsburgh usually likes at the position. Second, Golson was a Round 4-5 prospect. This is too early for him, especially with so many better players available at the position.

87. Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn: A Grade

Man, I've correctly mocked all three positions to the Steelers, but I've had the wrong players. I love this pick though, as the Steelers are selecting another talented player who dropped into their lap. Sammie Coates easily could've gone in the second round, but dropped because he, well, drops a lot of passes. That's something that can be coached up. Coates' athleticism, on the other hand, cannot. He has major bust potential, but his ceiling is extremely high.

121. Doran Grant, CB, Ohio State: B+ Grade

Another surprising cornerback pick. Doran Grant neither has the size (5-10) nor the athleticism that the Steelers usually look for in their cornerbacks. However, I think this is a solid choice. Doran Grant provides some value, as he could have gone at the end of the third round.

160. Jesse James, TE, Penn State: B+ Grade

I mocked Jesse James to the Steelers at this spot because I thought he made a lot of sense for the team. James is a great fit in Pittsburgh's offense, and he obviously makes sense at this range. James, a good athlete, might be able to take over for Heath Miller in a couple of years.

199. Leterrius Walton, DE/DT, Central Michigan: A Grade

Good players just somehow fall to the Steelers all the time. Leterrius Walton was a player I had slotted in the fourth round. He was highly productive at Central Michigan and could eventually emerge as a starter on Pittsburgh's front. In the meantime, he fills a need as a depth player.

212. Anthony Chickillo, DE, Miami: A Grade

The best teams get better in the draft because the "lesser" organizations do stupid things. How did Anthony Chickillo fall to the Steelers at the end of Round 6? I had him atop the fourth frame, as Chickillo was both productive at Miami and also athletic at the Combine. He should be able to make the roster.

239. Gerod Holliman, S, Louisville: A- Grade

Some had Gerod Holliman in the third round, but we were hearing that he was going to drop. I didn't expect him to fall this far, however, and the Steelers ended up getting a potential steal. Holliman's poor measurables really sunk his draft stock, but he could end up sticking for the Steelers, who needed to find another safety.

2015 NFL Draft Team Grade: A-

to read rest of article:

http://walterfootball.com/rookieforecast2015steelers.php#pbjQFTh5DKodYt3g.99

hawaiiansteeler
07-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Getting To Know: L.T. Walton

By Mike Prisuta

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Centerpiece_Misc/07_July/GTK_Walton_CP_2015.jpg

L.T. Walton
Defensive End
Central Michigan

6-5, 319
Rookie

Who is your football mentor or inspiration?
Since I’ve been here I’ve been looking up to Cam Heyward. He’s a prime example of how to work and how to do things around here.

What motivates you?
This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I love football.

What is your football mindset?
Continue to work and become a technician at my work.

Why do you play football?
It’s the greatest game in the world. You can’t beat football, the physicality of the sport. It’s America’s best game.

What is your proudest football moment or memory?
Being drafted was a huge thing for me and my family but that’s not the end of it.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Getting-To-Know-LT-Walton/dbcf856b-9590-448a-b67f-a6e10a05462c

hawaiiansteeler
07-14-2015, 12:13 AM
2015 NFL Draft: Every Team’s Best And Worst Pick

By Shawn Spencer

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/files/2015/04/DG-Alvin-Dupree.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers

Best: Alvin Dupree (OLB) - The Steelers seem to steal a player every year, and this year it was Dupree. Pittsburgh almost always takes the best player available in Round 1, and this year it also filled a need.

Worst: Senquez Golson (CB) - Golson was underrated entering the draft, but Round 2 was way too early for a 5-foot-8 CB who will likely be limited to a slot role.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/05/06/2015-nfl-draft-every-teams-best-and-worst-pick/

hawaiiansteeler
07-25-2015, 11:45 PM
@jimwexell Golson's injury has me worried. Thoughts?

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell -

Any thought would be a guess. Tomlin's "We'll see" wasn't positive, but, well, we'll see. I'll learn more with time.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

BigNastyDefense
07-26-2015, 01:48 PM
A lot of people don't like the Golson pick, because he's projected to be a slot corner at best. But you know what, with all the three-receiver sets that are seen now and that you're often not in your base defense nearly as much as you used to be...having a solid guy in the slot can help a whole lot.

hawaiiansteeler
07-28-2015, 02:44 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora -

a very detailed breakdown of how the Steelers' rookies have fared over the first two days of camp.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/training-camp-rookie-report/ …

hawaiiansteeler
08-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Rookies on first preseason game

Pittsburgh Steelers rookies LB Bud Dupree, WR Sammie Coates and TE Jesse James talk about their excitement for their first NFL preseason game.

http://www.steelers.com/videos/videos/Rookies-on-first-preseason-game/f4082a12-5d84-4311-a796-10b6b66456e8

hawaiiansteeler
08-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Dan @dan31899@Alex_Kozora

Chances L.T. Walton makes the 53? I want him to make it so bad, I think he could be a decent player

Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora
Alex Kozora retweeted Dan -

Better than I pegged him. Competing with Hemer for #4 spot. And Walton is a much better athlete.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

hawaiiansteeler
08-16-2015, 12:38 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers are going new-school on defense, and 2015 first-round pick Bud Dupree should be at the head of the class.

Unfortunately, the No. 22 overall pick showed no pass-rush aptitude in the Hall of Fame game—literally, per Pro Football Focus, registering zero pressures on 17 pass-rush snaps. Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers operations manager Joe Bussell led a Twitter chorus of evaluators who weren't shocked the athletic youngster's game didn't translate immediately to NFL success—but that doesn't do much to change the reality of the situation.

The Steelers defense has, for decades, been based on the linebackers' ability to disrupt the offense. Defensive linemen are there to eat blocks, defensive backs to hold down the fort—but the linebackers must make plays.

If the Steelers are going to defend the AFC North crown, they'll need a lot more from Dupree than they've seen so far this camp.

to read rest of article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2545300-the-biggest-nfl-training-camp-disappointments-so-far

Steeldude
08-16-2015, 01:09 AM
If Jarvis Jones shows nothing all pre-season then I would cut him. I means showing nothing at all(looks lost, slow, weak, poor technique, lack of effort etc...). What would be the point of keeping him? I wouldn't call hi a veteran or that he knows the system.

I want to see more Chickillo in the pre-season.

hawaiiansteeler
08-16-2015, 01:34 AM

me too. Shayon Green played 25 snaps at OLB this past game while Anthony Chickillo played only 21 snaps, I hope that's not an indication of anything...

Steeldude
08-16-2015, 01:50 AM
me too. Shayon Green played 25 snaps at OLB this past game while Anthony Chickillo played only 21 snaps, I hope that's not an indication of anything...

And I thought Green was penciled in as a possible backup for ILB. Isn't that what he played in college? I can't recall.

I haven't heard much on Howard Jones. Frankly, I am getting tired of Jarvis Jones. I will still hope for the best, but I think he will be out of football within a few years.

86WARD
08-16-2015, 07:03 AM
I'd like to see more of Chickillo as well. Haven't seen much from him though at the times he has been in there. As for Jarvis...losing patience...

teegre
08-16-2015, 09:48 AM

This.

As I have stated numerous times: I think that Chickillo will be (eventually) a starting OLB for this team.

hawaiiansteeler
08-16-2015, 11:57 AM
And I thought Green was penciled in as a possible backup for ILB. Isn't that what he played in college?

Green played both MLB and DE at Miami, Fla but the Steelers have used him at only OLB so far...

TD's & Beer
08-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Can we include Shamarko on that list - since he's just like a rookie and never started?

He's the biggest ??? of all and nobody knows what to expect.

Of course the Steelers were 27th against the pass last year - they can't get much worse, can they?

lipps83
08-16-2015, 01:33 PM
If Jarvis Jones shows nothing all pre-season then I would cut him. I means showing nothing at all(looks lost, slow, weak, poor technique, lack of effort etc...). What would be the point of keeping him? I wouldn't call hi a veteran or that he knows the system.

I would see if other teams would be willing to give up a late round pick for Jones. At this point it might be hoping for a lot, but I think worth a shot while he still remains sort of unknown for potential ceiling (although I think he has hit it).