PDA

View Full Version : Steelers beat themselves in loss to Broncos

LLT
08-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Steelers beat themselves in loss to Broncos
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Monday, August 30, 2010

DENVER -- Keenan Lewis hardly seized the opportunity afforded him by Bryant McFadden's injury, and Byron Leftwich erased any doubt as to who starts the first four games of the regular season before he played a down Sunday night.

Those were the two most significant developments to come of the oxymoron that is the most important game of the preseason.

Going against the Broncos as well as themselves, the Steelers were unable to overcome a flurry of penalties and a Dennis Dixon pass that accounted for six of Denver's points in a 34-17 loss at Invesco Field.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_697075.html

SirHulka
08-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Looking at it from the outside, it appears to me as though the further away from Cowher you get, the less disciplined and focused the Steelers seem to be. JMHO, but player-friendly coaches have the hardest time maintaining those very important features.

Killer
08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
The D was just getting cocky, wanting to blow up the Broncs on national tee-vee.

Tomlin will settle their asses down.

I loved Harrison going after Orton on that fumble return tackle. That was awesome.
Punk trying to aim for his knees? Crush him

ha ha!

SirHulka
08-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Punk trying to aim for his knees? Crush him

ha ha!

Kinda flies in the face of this
Do no harm - take no shit doesn't it?

Killer
08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
That's football.

Pouncey was kicking ass and taking names - that's who I was mainly watching.

smokin3000gt
08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Looking at it from the outside, it appears to me as though the further away from Cowher you get, the less disciplined and focused the Steelers seem to be. JMHO, but player-friendly coaches have the hardest time maintaining those very important features.

I can see where you're coming from but also lewis isn't a veteran player that tomlin spends any time with. He's the new guy and new guys always need a foot in the ass.

SteelerSal
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
I can see where you're coming from but also lewis isn't a veteran player that tomlin spends any time with. He's the new guy and new guys always need a foot in the ass.

Old guys do too....Ike with last weeks punchfest. :)

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 08:40 AM

This is exactly what I've been saying about Tomlin since last year's meltdown. It's like a parent trying to be friends with their kids...he's got to get away from this buddy role he's playing with many of these guys & start getting tough. I remember how he approached his first training camp by letting the vets take it easy & stand on the sidelines cracking jokes & carrying on. I even saw Tomlin standing there with them. I had a bad feeling about it - that it would undermine his authority. Vets (not all) begin to take it easy knowing that they are "good" with the coach & the youngsters begin to develop a little animosity that they are treated unfairly. This last part is pure speculation, but it's also human nature.

He severely damaged his credibility last year with his "guarantees" and needs to tighten up on his expectations on and off the field. There needs to be no gray area, whether they are vets or youngsters. You break the rules or perform poorly - your job is on the line! And this time, he needs to mean it!!

Steeldude
08-30-2010, 09:07 AM

it appears that way to me also