PDA

View Full Version : Deebo calls out Adam Schefter for Twitter pic of JPP's medical report

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Steelers James Harrison calls out ESPN's Adam Schefter over Twitter photo of Jason Pierre-Paul medical report

By Jeff.Hartman on Jul 8, 2015

There are some things which you just don't do, and in James Harrison's mind Adam Schefter of ESPN did just that by tweeting out a photo of New York Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul's medical report.

The news of New York Giants pass rusher Jason Pierre-Paul's fireworks accident over the 4th of July weekend which has him in the hospital dealing with injuries to his hand and arm isn't breaking news. However, the severity of the injury still remains very much a cloud, even for the Giants organization. Then ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted this photo from his verified account:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJbXKxvUAAAL82P.jpg

There are laws in place to keep medical reports completely confidential, and when it comes to Pittsburgh Steelers OLB James Harrison, there are some things you just don't do - and Schefter sending out such private information is one of those. Harrison felt strong enough about it to tweet the following to Schefter:

James Harrison ✔@jharrison9292

@AdamSchefter You're a real piece of sh*t for putting that picture up!

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/7/8/8917767/steelers-james-harrison-calls-out-espns-adam-schefter-over-twitter

Texasteel
07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
I would think that Schefter did more than put a dent in his reputation. If I were a player I would refuse to talk to Shefter again. IMO Shefter crossed a line the he may look back on as a disaster.

bendsteel
07-09-2015, 05:30 PM
I would think that Schefter did more than put a dent in his reputation. If I were a player I would refuse to talk to Shefter again. IMO Shefter crossed a line the he may look back on as a disaster.

He will most likely lose his job...or should. If JPP wants to make life tough and sue.....Schefter will never work in the industry again. It is even possible that he could face some pretty heavy legal ramifications for releasing such information and photos.

TeeTee
07-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Yea know, I think "reporting" on it would have been enough; no need for a pic of medical report. That was over the line. I would think someone could be in trouble for HIPAA violations. You shouldn't be able to view a person medical report. That should not have been accessible.

Count Steeler
07-09-2015, 05:52 PM
3rd Line: "Private Comments".

Must have been a Confederate Flag in the area.

86WARD
07-09-2015, 08:18 PM
It's surmising that Schefter still has it on his Twitter page...

salamander
07-09-2015, 08:37 PM
James Harrison will surely get fined for this. lol.

Devilsdancefloor
07-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Someone should be in deep shit for HIIPPA violations at aminimum

zulater
07-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Shefter is in the information business. He did his job. Whoever the hospital worker was that leaked it to him is the one who exercised poor ethics.

zulater
07-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Besides, what effing difference does it make that Shefter got this information out? Think his finger was going to magically grow back before anyone noticed it was missing? :doh: JPP not only did something stupid, he also is being belligerent towards his employer. I'm glad he was exposed.

86WARD
07-09-2015, 09:57 PM
So it would be okay that someone release your medical records? Maybe your parents or kids medical records? Just because he did something stupid doesn't mean it's fair his medical records were released...along with some random 65 year old...

It's totally unethical if they were gotten from anyone other than JPP. Those Iowa Hospital Staffers were fired when something similar happened with the Iowa football players.

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2015, 09:58 PM
ESPN reporter blasted for tweeting Giants player’s medical record

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Thursday, July 9, 2015

ESPN reporter and analyst Adam Schefter is being criticized for tweeting a photo that showed the private medical record of New York Giants player Jason Pierre-Paul, who had a finger amputated on Wednesday following a fireworks accident.

The medical records, which Mr. Schefter said were “obtained” by ESPN, detailed what was happening to the finger and even included the exact time of the procedure, CNNreported.

His tweet was retweeted nearly 7,700 times.

“SO INCREDIBLY UNETHICAL,” tweeted one user.

“Dude…do [HIPAA] laws mean anything?” asked another.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, which protects patient confidentiality, started trending on Twitter following Mr. Schefter’s post, CNN reported.

ESPN responded in a statement later Wednesday night, saying “HIPAA does not apply to news organizations.”

Kelly McBride, a media ethics expert at the Poynter Institute, told CNN that even though HIPAA does not apply to news organizations, Mr. Pierre-Paul “could have a reasonable expectation of privacy here specifically around his medical records.”

“Of course it’s news” that a prominent NFL player lost a finger in a fireworks accident, she added. “But is posting medical records the best way to break that news?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/9/adam-schefter-espn-reporter-blasted-for-tweeting-j/#ixzz3fSBGqNz0

86WARD
07-09-2015, 10:04 PM
ESPN gets worse every day...they want to be TMZ in the worst way.

86WARD
07-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Protection for the media isn’t open-ended. News outlets cannot assist leakers in carrying out illegal recordings or snatching medical records in violation of HIPAA. But if they passively receive the information, they’re all set. “As long as ESPN did nothing to procure the documents or aid and abet in their procurement — as long as its hands are clean, as it were — ESPN is in the free and clear,” notes via e-mail Clay Calvert, a University of Florida professor often consulted by the Erik Wemple Blog.

“As for a hospital employee who leaked the documents, that’s where HIPAA comes in,” writes Calvert.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2015/07/09/twitter-stupidly-freaks-out-about-espn-jason-pierre-paul-and-hipaa/

fansince'76
07-09-2015, 10:13 PM
ESPN responded in a statement later Wednesday night, saying “HIPAA does not apply to news organizations.”

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

zulater
07-09-2015, 10:25 PM
So it would be okay that someone release your medical records? Maybe your parents or kids medical records? Just because he did something stupid doesn't mean it's fair his medical records were released...along with some random 65 year old...

It's totally unethical if they were gotten from anyone other than JPP. Those Iowa Hospital Staffers were fired when something similar happened with the Iowa football players.

Please grow a pair everybody.

This isn't a kid this was a stupid pro who tried to hide his stupidity from his team for God knows why? He was found out. And guess what, when he showed up with only nine fingers someone was sure to get wise, no? :doh:

I mean really? We're not talking STD. We're not talking cancer. We're talking one less fucking finger. Earth to everyone. It was going to come out. Sheesh!

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2015, 10:48 PM

why don't you go ahead and tell that to Deebo?

James Harrison@jharrison9292

.@AdamSchefter You're a real piece of sh*t for putting that picture up!

July 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/jharrison9292/status/618960110438625280

zulater
07-09-2015, 11:00 PM
why don't you go ahead and tell that to Deebo?

James Harrison@jharrison9292

.@AdamSchefter You're a real piece of sh*t for putting that picture up!

July 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/jharrison9292/status/618960110438625280

Sure. Why not? Going to beat me up because I disagree with him? Ooh so scary. Not a jock sniffer here.

Think maybe James doesn't walk on water and takes his anti press opinion because it's what players do?

But we're not players are we? We're really not their buddies, and truth be told if it came right down to it most of us have more in common with those guys we love to hate over at ESPN than the James Harrison's of the world.

Look I get the players perspective. And if I were a player perhaps that's the way I'd see it.

But I'm not. And I appreciate newsworthy stories being brought to light. And guess what if I were a Giant fan this story would be huge to me. As a football fan this story is huge to me. And again, no one is hiding an amputated finger. Jeez this would be like Ben trying to hide his motorcycle accident injuries from the Steelers. Would you support that?

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2015, 11:51 PM
Would you support that?

Adam Schefter isn't supposed to be able to get access to someone's private medical records. so unless JPP himself sent Schefter the photo that he posted, someone likely broke the law to get that photo to Schefter.

and no, I don't support that...

hawaiiansteeler
07-10-2015, 12:48 AM
Hospital will investigate leak of Pierre-Paul’s medical records

Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/records1.jpg?w=235

The process of holding someone accountability for leaking Jason Pierre-Paul’s private medical information has commenced.

Via WPTZ-TV, Jackson Health System CEO Carlos Migoya addressed the situation in a statement released Wednesday, vowing to get to the bottom of it.

“Late Wednesday, media reports surfaced purportedly showing a Jackson Memorial Hospital patient’s protected health information, suggesting it was leaked by an employee,” Migoya said. “An aggressive internal investigation looking into these allegations is underway. If these allegations prove to be true, I know the entire Jackson family will share my anguish.

“If we confirm Jackson employees or physicians violated a patient’s legal right to privacy, they will be held accountable, up to and including possible termination.”

Regardless of whatever Migoya does to whoever leaked the information, his organization faces potentially significant civil liability and potential administrative/criminal liability under the HIPAA laws, not just to Pierre-Paul but to the other person (identified only by initials) whose medical information was published by ESPN.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/09/hospital-will-investigate-leak-of-pierre-pauls-medical-records/

Craic
07-10-2015, 01:10 AM

This isn't a kid this was a stupid pro who tried to hide his stupidity from his team for God knows why? He was found out. And guess what, when he showed up with only nine fingers someone was sure to get wise, no? :doh:

I mean really? We're not talking STD. We're not talking cancer. We're talking one less fucking finger. Earth to everyone. It was going to come out. Sheesh!

No, we're talking medical privacy. Some lines simply shouldn't be crossed. Displaying someone's actual medical records, no matter the reason, is wrong. "It was going to come out" is like saying "But everyone's doing it." No. I don't care if it was or wasn't going to come out. That's not the point. The point is privacy of personal records.

zulater
07-10-2015, 05:22 AM
Here's my sense of it, and perhaps it's why I'm not outraged by this. I think Shefter's source was someone within the Giants organization. I think the leak originally was someone at the hospital leaked it to the Giants, and then it was purposely leaked by the Giants. The Giants benefit most by this getting out, so that makes the most sense to me.

86WARD
07-10-2015, 05:25 AM

Not the point...lol. Wouldn't matter if it was AIDs, STD, Cancer, Nut surgery, whatever you want it to be...

smokin3000gt
07-10-2015, 06:07 AM
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

That's something I expect to hear from the Obummer admin, Pelosi "we have to pass it to see what's in it" Pelosi, or Hillary ''scag bag' Clinton.

hawaiiansteeler
07-10-2015, 11:51 AM
No, we're talking medical privacy. Some lines simply shouldn't be crossed. Displaying someone's actual medical records, no matter the reason, is wrong. "It was going to come out" is like saying "But everyone's doing it." No. I don't care if it was or wasn't going to come out. That's not the point. The point is privacy of personal records.

completely agree :thumbsup:

fansince'76
07-10-2015, 11:58 AM
There's a certain QB that's about to get off scot-free, so why not?

This "I only follow the rules as long as I agree with them and/or as long as they don't inconvenience me" mindset has become quite pervasive and pretty much sums up this country nowadays.

"HIPAA doesn't apply to us because we're in the news business." I mean, really?

I work for a healthcare informatics company and am mandated by federal law to attend the very same HIPAA training class and sit through the very same spiel and take the very same quiz afterward every year even though I personally have no access to PHI and none of the servers I administer hold PHI on them.

I wonder how it would go over with my employer if I just skip it next year because it "really doesn't apply to me." I imagine I'd be looking for work very soon thereafter...

“As long as ESPN did nothing to procure the documents or aid and abet in their procurement — as long as its hands are clean, as it were — ESPN is in the free and clear,” notes via e-mail Clay Calvert, a University of Florida professor often consulted by the Erik Wemple Blog.

In other words, as long as ESPN didn't actively solicit someone at the hospital for those records, they're cool (at least that's how I'm reading it). So I'm supposed to believe someone at the hospital voluntarily gave the records to ESPN out of the goodness of their heart without ESPN asking for them? :bs:

TeeTee
07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Shefter is in the information business. He did his job. Whoever the hospital worker was that leaked it to him is the one who exercised poor ethics.

It's his job to take a pic and send it to the world of someone's medical report? That's his job? You know damn well he slipped someone a C note to get it. Sleazy, at best.

zulater
07-10-2015, 12:58 PM
You guys just hate anyone in the reporting business and all media outlets that have ratings, even though you watch, read and listen to these outlets yourselves. :lol:

Again someone please explain how he was going to play hide the finger for the rest of his NFL career? I never got away with the old hide the finger ploy for more than ten minutes or so at a time. :wink02:

tube517
07-10-2015, 01:02 PM
I heard JPP was going to court but couldn't quite place a finger on who to file suit against?

Too soon? :chuckle:

Butch
07-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Not picking on you Zulater, but this all reminds me of a line from (IMHO) a very classic movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDt1WDzhmU

fansince'76
07-10-2015, 01:04 PM
You guys just hate anyone in the reporting business and all media outlets that have ratings, even though you watch, read and listen to these outlets yourselves. :lol:

Again someone please explain how he was going to play hide the finger for the rest of his NFL career? I never got away with the old hide the finger ploy for more than ten minutes or so at a time. :wink02:

Kelly McBride, media ethics expert at the Poynter Institute, told CNN that Mr. Schefter could still face legal investigation or civil suit if one of his sources was in violation of the law.

Arthur Caplan, the director of the medical ethics division at NYU's Langone Medical Center, told CNN that the records should not have been released without Mr. Pierre-Paul's explicit consent.

http://www.beckersspine.com/sports-medicine/item/26208-does-hipaa-apply-to-journalists-espn-reporter-under-fire-for-posting-jason-pierre-paul-s-medical-records-7-key-notes.html

:noidea:

Personally speaking, I couldn't care less. They're not my medical records. I just thought the statement from ESPN like they are somehow above federal law was laughable, that's all.

86WARD
07-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Who said they were trying to hide it? They could just come out and say he fucked his finger up with a firecracker, had it amputated. Done. No need to post a 65-year old guys medical record along with JPP.

And for the record, haven't
watched ESPN in about 10 years and am o record
Many a time as not being a fan. Will watch MNF and that's it. Not a fan of their reporting or personalities. Like NFL Network though.

hawaiiansteeler
07-10-2015, 01:36 PM
It's his job to take a pic and send it to the world of someone's medical report? That's his job? You know damn well he slipped someone a C note to get it. Sleazy, at best.

exactly, Shefter comes across like the cheap attorney chasing an ambulance...

TeeTee
07-10-2015, 01:49 PM
OK, so how did the guy blow his finger off? WTF was he holding to do that? It wasn't your garden variety firecracker. That wouldn't be powerful enough. How did he do this?

teegre
07-10-2015, 02:33 PM

100% agree.

teegre
07-10-2015, 02:42 PM

1. Hiding it isn't the point. It's a law. Period.

2. STD... amputation... anal fissures... it doesn't matter. It's a law.

3. Let's talk about hiding it. Here's an analogy...

A woman gives birth. There's no way that she's going to be able to hide the fact that she had the baby. (8 pounds of crying, human flesh rarely goes unnoticed by friends & family.) Should the details and/or pictures of her devilry be available to everyone to see? NO. Why not? It's a law.

ALLD
07-10-2015, 03:37 PM
We have come a long way since the 1930s and 40s when the media did not report on FDR's polio.

TeeTee
07-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Why would he want to hide it? They haven't signed the franchise tag yet, and now maybe NY won't want to. Joke if you want, but DE's use their hands a lot of get off their blocks. Missing your main finger could impact the effectiveness of a DE. Not saying he will be worthless, but it could lessen his impact.

silver & black
07-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Agreed but... two wrongs and all that.

SteelerFanInStl
07-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Yep. It doesn't matter what we as individuals think about it. This is a clear violation of HIPAA.

I've worked for a few health care related companies and I know how seriously HIPAA violations are, as well they should be.

86WARD
07-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Why would he want to hide it? They haven't signed the franchise tag yet, and now maybe NY won't want to. Joke if you want, but DE's use their hands a lot of get off their blocks. Missing your main finger could impact the effectiveness of a DE. Not saying he will be worthless, but it could lessen his impact.

True. Hands to a DE are almost as important as hand to a WR.

hawaiiansteeler
07-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Joel McHale jokes about Pierre-Paul fireworks incident at ESPYs

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 16, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/abc.jpg?w=250

Comedian Joel McHale poked fun at New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul during his opening monologue at Wednesday night’s annual ESPY Awards.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, McHale announced that Pierre-Paul was in attendance for the event held in Los Angeles. The camera then panned to a shot of a lone finger wearing a Super Bowl ring sitting on a mini-pillow on an auditorium seat.

Pierre-Paul was just recently released from the hospital in South Florida after needing to have the index finger on his right hand amputated following a fireworks mishap on the Fourth of July.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/16/joel-mchales-jokes-about-pierre-paul-fireworks-incident-at-espys/

Nadroj 20
07-16-2015, 08:52 AM

This was my first thought. People are bashing Shefter which is understandable, but how did he get access to take the picture? Someone in the hospital should be in deep trouble.