PDA

View Full Version : What is your Steeler game tolerance for not having NFL Ticket?

TeeTee
07-06-2015, 05:46 PM
I don't live in western PA. So I buy the NFL Ticket so I can watch every Steeler game without having to go to a bar (That is also fun in its own way and we have made lots of friends that way but it can get old.) The drawback on getting the NFL ticket is when the Steelers play on national TV and you don't need the Ticket.

Looking at the schedule, they are likely on national TV at least 6 times (and it usually ends up having a few more, but if they play the same time as the Jags, it won't be on here.)

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-announce-2015-regular-season-schedule/93fa404b-00ae-4c86-8bcf-35d133bb707d

Last season, it felt like they were on regular tv at least half the games. (I don't know if it was that often but it seemed like it.)

So, the question is, how many times would they need to be on your regular TV in order for you to NOT pay for the NFL Ticket? I am probably keeping it, as having to go out to the bar 10 weeks is more than I want to do, plus, if you consider the bar bill I am not accruing it probably costs about the same, and I prefer my own 70", HD TV and couch than going out.

If you DO live in Pgh region, what do you think you would do if you didn't? Buy NFL Ticket or go to bar or miss games?

Missing games is not an option for me and hasn't been for more decades than I care to admit.

steelreserve
07-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I would never pay for Sunday Ticket. It works out to about $20 a game to watch on TV, and it's pretty consistent that about a third of the games are broadcast free on national TV. So for that $20 I find it more worth my money to go to a bar, plus on principle I do not want to support something so shitty.

Slingbox is also a great way to catch the games, if you know someone who lives in the broadcast area. Give them a used one as a gift, with the understanding that they'll do you that one favor.

TeeTee
07-06-2015, 06:17 PM
I would never pay for Sunday Ticket. It works out to about $20 a game to watch on TV, and it's pretty consistent that about a third of the games are broadcast free on national TV. So for that $20 I find it more worth my money to go to a bar, plus on principle I do not want to support something so shitty.

Slingbox is also a great way to catch the games, if you know someone who lives in the broadcast area. Give them a used one as a gift, with the understanding that they'll do you that one favor.

Well, my bar bill is always more than $20, or at least 20 (I only have beers probably half the time). Also, I love being able to switch over to any game being played during commercials or during times when the Steelers are not playing. I especially like checking on any division foes, especially if they are playing each other, and checking out the Bills or the best teams. I am a fan of the NFL, not just the Steelers. I know a lot of you don't care to watch teams of other teams, but I definitely do. So, I guess that factors into deciding to pay for the Ticket now that I think about it.

polamalubeast
07-06-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm not lucky, since often at 13h00,these are games of the Giants(FOX) and the Patriots(CBS) in my TV.

Fortunately, I have a link on my computer that I can watch other games if they are not on TV.

fansince'76
07-06-2015, 07:23 PM
I also refuse to pay for Sunday Ticket. If need be, I listen to the Steelers radio broadcast.

Iron Steeler
07-06-2015, 07:37 PM
I have an awesome Steeler bar i go to in Jersey. Sometimes i enjoy the atmosphere of being around other black and gold lunatics like myself. I know my GF likes when I leave the house to watch the game.

But ya the bar tab does run up when we are in a tight nervous game

SteelerFanInStl
07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
I stopped buying it a few years back when Goodell started pulling all of his BS. I'm about to sign up with DirecTV again though so that I can get it this year for free. I missed not having it last year.

TeeTee
07-06-2015, 08:48 PM
I have an awesome Steeler bar i go to in Jersey. Sometimes i enjoy the atmosphere of being around other black and gold lunatics like myself. I know my GF likes when I leave the house to watch the game.

Mine actually goes up when we win a big game; everyone gets so excited and it puts us in a partying mood. But yea, hanging with fellow Steeler fans is fun. It can be quite a blast and it created a lot of friends down here. It's cool having people around who know all the same hang outs as you do. I mean, who else knows who Slippery Rock U is?

86WARD
07-06-2015, 08:59 PM
I've been lucky lately with the TV schedule in Philadelphia. Most of the Steelers games wind up on TV. For those that are not, I watch the Redzone and the Internet...HDMI plug in to the big screen.

Steeldude
07-07-2015, 04:41 AM
It's free for me. I used NFL Sunday Ticket To Go(or something like that).

It's the greatest. My alarm goes off and I flip on the game. Nothing is better than being lazy in bed while watching the game.

No lines for the restroom.

No lines for food/drink.

No parking fees.

No loud fans.

Comfortable seating(bed).

No viewing obstructions.

No traffic.

No wasted gas.

Air conditioned room.

Wife gives me BJ at halftime(Ok...sometimes).

Replays from any game anytime I want.

86WARD
07-07-2015, 11:40 AM
What is NFL Sunday Ticket to go?

tube517
07-07-2015, 11:54 AM
I have a big fat middle finger as far as paying to DirecTV and Sunday Ticket as well as cheesedick GoodHell and his cronies.

I find ways to watch the games. I don't care if it's on my phone, tablet, computer, or wherever. I will find a way for Steelers games only. Other NFL games mean jack shit to me.

Steeldude
07-07-2015, 12:10 PM
What is NFL Sunday Ticket to go?

I think that's the name of it. It's like HBOGO. My brother has a Sunday Ticket account. He also signed up to allow him to view games away from home by using a cell phone, tablet, computer or Playstation. I used the Playstation. I think this year I am splitting the cost with him. For me, it's totally worth the price, for the reasons I listed above.

TeeTee
07-07-2015, 12:46 PM
It's free for me. I used NFL Sunday Ticket To Go(or something like that).

It's the greatest. My alarm goes off and I flip on the game. Nothing is better than being lazy in bed while watching the game.

No lines for the restroom.
No lines for food/drink.
No parking fees.
No loud fans.
Comfortable seating(bed).
No viewing obstructions.
No traffic.
No wasted gas.
Air conditioned room.
Wife gives me BJ at halftime(Ok...sometimes).
Replays from any game anytime I want.

I usually am out of bed, but do rock the couch. And being able to back up any play when you want is pretty cool. Also, hate being forced to watch blaring commercials like you do when at the bar. I just loath the amount of crap they try to make you watch. The worst is when they come back after a score, do a kick off and then go back to commercials. That is rude and over-the-top. I NEVER stay put during commercials, always go check out other games or hit the bathroom or whatever I need to do.

Mojouw
07-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Spend enough time on Google and you can find somewhere to watch every game on your computer for free. Not always the best quality, but I have not paid to see a game in years and have only missed a few by choice.

There is always a link somewhere.

TeeTee
07-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Spend enough time on Google and you can find somewhere to watch every game on your computer for free. Not always the best quality, but I have not paid to see a game in years and have only missed a few by choice.

Well, PC is no go for me. I didn't buy a 70" HD TV to not watch it on there. When you watch it on a unit like that, it is better than being there in a lot of ways. It's just incredible. And, like I said, the savings on a bar bill covers the expense.

fansince'76
07-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Well, PC is no go for me. I didn't buy a 70" HD TV to not watch it on there. When you watch it on a unit like that, it is better than being there in a lot of ways. It's just incredible. And, like I said, the savings on a bar bill covers the expense.

Got one of these for my home viewing setup a while back - they're great for wireless streaming to an HDTV: http://www.actiontec.com/303.html

I can fire up a video on my laptop upstairs and watch it on my HDTV downstairs in the living room. I bought a wireless keyboard for the living room and plugged it into the Screenbeam Pro receiver so I can control the laptop from there.

SteelerFanInStl
07-07-2015, 05:27 PM

I tried that for a couple of seasons, no thanks. Pretty much every single link that I ever found just plain sucked. Terrible picture quality, sound going in and out or not synced with the video, site getting shut down, etc.

I don't want to deal with that crap when I want to watch a game.

Godfather
07-07-2015, 06:10 PM

I don't have that problem. The local cable company is ten times crappier than DirecTV so the Steelers games are a nice bonus.

- - - Updated - - -

Terrible picture quality, sound going in and out or not synced with the video

So basically, CBS?

Mojouw
07-07-2015, 06:21 PM
I tried that for a couple of seasons, no thanks. Pretty much every single link that I ever found just plain sucked. Terrible picture quality, sound going in and out or not synced with the video, site getting shut down, etc.

Fair enough. I would rather have the ticket package, but their rates are way out of my price range!

My only advice is find a non FLASH based streaming service. Those seem to be better/more stable.

All that being said, my "go to" site for the past 3-4 years just got shut down at the start of this year, so I have no idea what I will be doing come the fall.

SteelerFanInStl
07-07-2015, 06:50 PM
So basically, CBS?

Actually the quality of my local CBS and Fox in HD are quite good.

Born2Steel
07-07-2015, 07:41 PM
I've had the NFL Sunday Ticket twice in the 20 years I've had DirectTV. It's a nice idea to have all the games to watch but I never watch more than a couple anyway. If we play on Monday, I already get to see the game. Same with Thursday games. Playoffs are always on network. Plus NFL Network replays most games during the week. Just not worth the expense for me, but I do understand the appeal it has for some.

tube517
07-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Fair enough. I would rather have the ticket package, but their rates are way out of my price range!

My only advice is find a non FLASH based streaming service. Those seem to be better/more stable.

All that being said, my "go to" site for the past 3-4 years just got shut down at the start of this year, so I have no idea what I will be doing come the fall.

Double check them in a few weeks/months. They may be back up and running at a different "location" online. They are pretty relentless.

smokin3000gt
07-07-2015, 10:45 PM
Steel Town Sports was the best feed I've found to watch the game. HD, no ads, and if they went down they would come back up within a couple minutes. Once justin.tv went down they went down though. Has anyone heard from them lately?

tube517
07-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Steel Town Sports was the best feed I've found to watch the game. HD, no ads, and if they went down they would come back up within a couple minutes. Once justin.tv went down they went down though. Has anyone heard from them lately?

justin.tv went through radical changes a couple years ago and I never went back to them. Didn't recognize them after their changes. I don't know what they look like now. There are sites that aren't HD but they are steady feeds. I don't need HD to watch a game, as long as I can see a good steady stream, I'm good.

86WARD
07-08-2015, 09:05 AM
justin.tv went through radical changes a couple years ago and I never went back to them. Didn't recognize them after their changes. I don't know what they look like now. There are sites that aren't HD but they are steady feeds. I don't need HD to watch a game, as long as I can see a good steady stream, I'm good.

I was n the same boat with the justintv but found another site that offered several streams of various qualities...I will check my bookmarks. Are we allowed to post that here?

hawaiiansteeler
07-08-2015, 02:02 PM
I was n the same boat with the justintv but found another site that offered several streams of various qualities...I will check my bookmarks. Are we allowed to post that here?

we shouldn't, the internet police or whoever they are often check message boards for these types of links and those sites get taken down as a result.

the best way to do it is to pm the links that are up and working to each other right before game time...

tube517
07-08-2015, 02:16 PM
we shouldn't, the internet police or whoever they are often check message boards for these types of links and those sites get taken down as a result.

the best way to do it is to pm the links that are up and working to each other right before game time...

:thumbsup:

TeeTee
07-08-2015, 02:32 PM

NJ is famous for a lot of huge Steeler bars. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a Steeler fan if you other AFC team choice was the Jets? :scared:

TD's & Beer
07-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Bars suck, streaming blows - I haven't paid full price in years and years

I had Sunday Ticket + Redzone package free last year - you have to know how to threaten to cancel DirecTV to work out a deal - talk to them.

I like having the option of watching any of the games, not just the Steelers....and of course, as GM, my fantasy rosters demand my attention.

salamander
07-09-2015, 11:31 AM
90% of the Steelers games are on the tv in my area. The few times they aren't is when they are on Fox and the Eagles or Giants games take over.

TeeTee
07-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Seriously. I couldn't tolerate any of that. I need 100% pure focus - no F'd up sound or delays. And I need sound.

dduc996
07-09-2015, 02:10 PM
I pay $5 a month extra on my cable bill (year round) for a sports package which includes NFL REDZONE.
That works just fine with me. 😊

smokin3000gt
07-09-2015, 02:46 PM
I went a season without when I had the HD feed which was pretty reliable. It was a good deal. After they disappeared I tried a few of the numerous broadcast out there but that was beyond ridiculous. Nothing but pop ups, terrible quality, and messed up sound. I'll pay the couple hundred bucks if it means I get to actually enjoy and record the games. Not to mention I always love tuning into the ravens, bungles, pats games ect.

SteelerFanInStl
07-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Bars suck, streaming blows - I haven't paid full price in years and years

I had Sunday Ticket + Redzone package free last year - you have to know how to threaten to cancel DirecTV to work out a deal - talk to them.

I like having the option of watching any of the games, not just the Steelers....and of course, as GM, my fantasy rosters demand my attention.

You used to be able to get it for free without too much hassle, especially if you were a long time DirecTV customer like I was (since '97 with Sunday Ticket every year). They changed that about 5 years ago.

I thought that they had given me a good deal last year but the CS rep flat out lied to me. He didn't put anything that he told me into the system and instead signed me up for the normal price. I didn't know it until I got my first bill. I called them and complained, even took it to a supervisor and they wouldn't give me anything. I cancelled my DirecTV right after that and they still wouldn't offer me anything.

Any more you have to leave DirecTV and then come back. They only offer the good deals to new customers. They don't give a shit about their long time customers.

Despite that, I'm still thinking about going back to DirecTV this year because I want to see the Steelers.

TeeTee
07-09-2015, 05:46 PM
I pay $5 a month extra on my cable bill (year round) for a sports package which includes NFL REDZONE.
That works just fine with me. 

No way dude, Redzone isn't enough for me, I have to watch every play of Steeler games, and even record them all and re-watch the wins. (I delete the losses immediately.)

86WARD
07-09-2015, 05:48 PM
I wish they'd do an affordable package that I could eithe by through Comcast or buy for my laptop and stream through AppleTV.

dduc996
07-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Why isn't there an app to watch whatever channel , whatever state, at anytime ?

SteelerFanInStl
07-09-2015, 05:56 PM
No way dude, Redzone isn't enough for me, I have to watch every play of Steeler games, and even record them all and re-watch the wins. (I delete the losses immediately.)

I agree. I don't like Redzone either. That's just for fantasy football geeks who don't care about watching actual football games.

86WARD
07-09-2015, 08:19 PM

This!!!

dduc996
07-09-2015, 08:20 PM
This what ?

hawaiiansteeler
07-09-2015, 08:20 PM

I've wondered that also, whoever comes up with it is going to make a lot of $$$

dduc996
07-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Every link or lead that I've ever heard about or tried has always been bogus or poor in quality.

TeeTee
07-10-2015, 01:55 PM
I went a season without when I had the HD feed which was pretty reliable. It was a good deal. After they disappeared I tried a few of the numerous broadcast out there but that was beyond ridiculous. Nothing but pop ups, terrible quality, and messed up sound. I'll pay the couple hundred bucks if it means I get to actually enjoy and record the games. Not to mention I always love tuning into the ravens, bungles, pats games ect.

THIS. I also love checking into the other games during commercials or at times when Pgh isn't playing. I love checking out our inter div. teams or any top match up of the week. I love watching the Browns just fall apart after looking like they were a decent team (7-4 at one point last season only to end up being one of the very worst teams again). Like I said, after factoring in bar bills I'd incur without the Ticket, it's really not an extra expense.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I don't like Redzone either. That's just for fantasy football geeks who don't care about watching actual football games.

I like the channel that shows every single game that's being played, and you can click on whichever game you wish to see at full screen; better than watching Redzone. Before that channel existed, I'd check out Redzone, but not much any more.

tube517
07-10-2015, 02:06 PM

Same w/me.

tube517
07-24-2015, 04:02 PM
http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/24/att-and-directv-officially-merge/