PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Change One Play In Steelers History, What Would It Be?

polamalubeast
07-06-2015, 12:21 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/if-you-could-change-one-play-in-steelers-history-what-would-it-be/

Iron Steeler
07-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Mendenhall fumble in the Super Bowl against the packers. We were definitely going to score on that drive . Possible the momentum to win the game and we would have 7 rings !

TeeTee
07-06-2015, 12:49 PM
A play vs. the Chargers came to mind first (TD given up by McKyer) , but if ONE of the int. would have changed the outcome of the '95 Dallas game I'd go with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Mendenhall fumble in the Super Bowl against the packers. We were definitely going to score on that drive . Possible the momentum to win the game and we would have 7 rings !

That's a good one. That really sucked huge balls.

Steelman
07-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Same here. I still remember how sickened I felt and how pissed off I was at him for that play. To this day I haven't watched a single snap from that game. I'm sure it was a hell of a game but I don't remember it and I've successfully blocked out almost all of it from my mind. I remember where I was, who I was with, and what I was even wearing but nothing from the actual game except that fumble.

Am I crazy? :lol:

TeeTee
07-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Same here. I still remember how sickened I felt and how pissed off I was at him for that play. To this day I haven't watched a single snap from that game. I'm sure it was a hell of a game but I don't remember it and I've successfully blocked out almost all of it from my mind. I remember where I was, who I was with, and what I was even wearing but nothing from the actual game except that fumble.

I only watch bits and pieces, and it always makes me barf, starting with Ben's pick six to start the game. We were lucky to ever be in that game, with a hobbled Troy, that Rogers picked on all night, and Ben being so off his game to start.

Can't win them all, I guess.

vasteeler
07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
o'donnells second pick in the superbowl:mad2:

tube517
07-06-2015, 03:37 PM
I try to blackout gut wrenching blood pressure raising losses like: SB XXX, SB XLV, 94, 97, 01, and 04 Championship games, 2011 AFC Wild Card (losing to Tebow :yuck:), 76 AFCC game.

fansince'76
07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
o'donnells second pick in the superbowl:mad2:

Actually, that was the scrub's 3rd in that game - we had a chance of overcoming the first two when he threw the 3rd one.

We had so many really good teams in the '90s that were ultimately undone by crap QBing it isn't even funny...

86WARD
07-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Mendenhall fumble or the O'Donnell INT. The game against the Chargers comes to mind, but that Niners team they would've faced was ridiculously good.

fansince'76
07-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Mendenhall fumble or the O'Donnell INT. The game against the Chargers comes to mind, but that Niners team they would've faced was ridiculously good.

They probably would have still lost to the 49ers in '04-'05, but I think they would have at least given them a game, unlike the Chargers, which was a laugher from pretty much the get-go ("Young fades back, wide open TD pass to (fill in the blank)!"...over and over and over again).

After all, they weren't given a snowball's chance the following year in the SB against the Cowboys either, but if O'Donnell wouldn't have wound up being the Cowboys' MVP in that game, they would have won it. It still pisses me off to think about how well our defense played in that game and how they all played their guts out only to watch that shlub give the damn game away on a silver platter. :mad2:

To answer the question, I have to go with SB XXX and the O'Donnell INTs. While the Mendenhall fumble hurt, our defense didn't do a thing to stop or really even slow down Rodgers all day - we were a couple of (lucky for us) dropped passes by wide open Packers receivers from having 50+ points hung up on us.

polamalubeast
07-06-2015, 04:31 PM
One of the plays under the radar is the 4th and 2 at the end of the game against the Jaguars in 2007.If the steelers would have won this game, it would have been an incredible comeback.

I was very stunned after this game, but at the same time, the team had too many injury to beat the 16-0 Patriots the week after.

The game against Tebow in 2011, this is more embarrassing that heartbreaking

steelreserve
07-06-2015, 05:26 PM
The first play of the 2001 AFC Championship Game, originally a sack of Tom Brady by Aaron Smith. I would change it to a sack of Tom Brady resulting in a career-ending injury. Bam, that spares us 15 years of tainted victories and media knob-slobbing and shitty rule changes, and we probably win at least one or two additional Super Bowls ourselves due to not getting knocked out by the cheaters. Hell, the entire league would be better off. Easy call on that one.

Note: As a further result of this play, I would have Brady's helmet fly off so hard it goes into orbit around the earth, stays there for three years, and then falls out of the sky on Willie Parker's head as he's about to sign his first contract with us, knocking him out cold. They tell me I can only change one play, screw you, I'm getting my money's worth.

zulater
07-06-2015, 06:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HByT3b_zAJA

One play? Right here. Losing to this fraud was the all time low point in Steeler playoff history.:mad2:

Iron Steeler
07-06-2015, 07:40 PM

I am the same way bro. I couldn't even tell you who scored for us or how, but that fumble is so vivid in my memory . Also the last play of the game no call interference on mike wallace of the middle.

fansince'76
07-06-2015, 07:59 PM

One play? Right here. Losing to this fraud was the all time low point in Steeler playoff history.:mad2:

I paid good money to see that mess in person... :doh:

polamalubeast
07-06-2015, 08:05 PM
I never again watched the Super Bowl against the Packers, but I reminds that Ward, Mendenhall and Wallace were the players they have scored a TD for the steelers.

Also the 3 turnovers of the steelers had costed 21 points.....That loss hurts, but at the same time, played in the Super Bowl is a feat and it was the 3rd Super Bowl in 6 years for the Steelers, which was amazing

- - - Updated - - -

The lost against Tebow was a shame, so I prefer to forget this lost

At least the lost against the packers, they were a great team and the game was close at the end even if it was 21-3 at one point

hawaiiansteeler
07-06-2015, 08:05 PM
I paid good money to see that mess in person... :doh:

worst defensive game plan and play calling I ever witnessed from Dick LeBeau...

SteelerFanInStl
07-06-2015, 08:21 PM

Yep. That play, and that game, is just downright embarrassing.

polamalubeast
07-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Kozora: The Play I’d Change

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/kozora-the-play-id-change/

steelreserve
07-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Kozora: The Play I’d Change

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/07/kozora-the-play-id-change/

I don't think that would've helped. That was the game where our guys said the Patriots were calling out our offensive plays before the snap, and cheating was in full effect. Again, I'd go back to my original suggestion of having Tom Brady break his neck on the first play we ever faced him in the 2001 AFCCG, which would solve this problem as well.

Godfather
07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I'd change one of the two special teams meltdowns against the Pats*, or turn Kordoza's last interception into a touchdown pass. Either way, we go on to the Super Bowl and Gaydy becomes an afterthought.

Born2Steel
07-07-2015, 07:48 PM
I would change last year's play when Bell got hurt vs the Bungles. We could have beaten the Turdbirds in the playoffs. Great season with the biggest suck ending.

Edman
07-08-2015, 05:11 PM
I'm probably one of the few jokers who wasn't surprised the Steelers lost to Teblow.

That 2011 team wasn't a 12-4 team. Our Defense was weakening all season and Ben's ankle was pretty much dead at that point in the season thanks to our then very mediocre Offensive Line, who by the way gave up five sacks in that game to the Donkeys Defense. Ike Taylor couldn't cover jack either.

Even if they get out of Denver, they don't beat New England.

tube517
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I'm probably one of the few jokers who wasn't surprised the Steelers lost to Teblow.

That 2011 team wasn't a 12-4 team. Our Defense was weakening all season and Ben's ankle was pretty much dead at that point in the season thanks to our then very mediocre Offensive Line, who by the way gave up five sacks in that game to the Donkeys Defense. Ike Taylor couldn't cover jack either.

Agreed. I can't forget the lame win vs Curtis Painter and the Dolts.

Add to that list, Wallace's dropped pass deep. That was a HUGE drop vs the Donkeys.

TeeTee
07-09-2015, 01:46 PM
worst defensive game plan and play calling I ever witnessed from Dick LeBeau...

THIS. Even after halftime and into OT, no adjustments when it was clear the total single coverage on WRs was a dumb idea. LeBeau and Tomlin should have been punished for that awful coaching.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I wasn't more upset over the horrid coaching: We weren't that good and we would have lost to NE so who cares. Same thing with the Charger loss. We would have had our faces caved in if we made it to the Super Bowl that year by SF.

teegre
07-10-2015, 08:38 AM
The second INT in SuoerBowl XXX. The Steelers owned Dallas in the second half. If the Steelers continue that drive (they had ALL of the momentum) the score is 24-20 Steelers... and, again, the way that the defense was owning Dallas' offense, that would have been enough for the victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Runners up:

2001 AFCCG: Joey Porter actually making that pick-six.

XLV: The Steelers get that muffed punt by the Packers in the first quarter. Ball on the 25, easy score, changing the entire dynamics of that game.

1994 AFCCG: Eric Green gets up (instead of laying like a lump on the ground) and scores that TD. Living in San Diego, that game haunted me for 15 years (until the Steelers thumped the Chargers in the 2008 play-offs).

hawaiiansteeler
07-10-2015, 11:53 AM
The second INT in SuoerBowl XXX. The Steelers owned Dallas in the second half. If the Steelers continue that drive (they had ALL of the momentum) the score is 24-20 Steelers... and, again, the way that the defense was owning Dallas' offense, that would have been enough for the victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Runners up:

2001 AFCCG: Joey Porter actually making that pick-six.

XLV: The Steelers get that muffed punt by the Packers in the first quarter. Ball on the 25, easy score, changing the entire dynamics of that game.

1994 AFCCG: Eric Green gets up (instead of laying like a lump on the ground) and scores that TD. Living in San Diego, that game haunted me for 15 years (until the Steelers thumped the Chargers in the 2008 play-offs).

what's up teegre? haven't seen you around much lately...:drink:

teegre
07-10-2015, 03:03 PM
what's up teegre? haven't seen you around much lately...:drink:

June was a crazy month. Both kids got the flu (back-to-back weeks), then I had the kids by myself for 5 days (thank God for naps & take out)... and I just got back from a two-week vacation through Pittsburgh & WV.

steelerdude15
07-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Actually, that was the scrub's 3rd in that game - we had a chance of overcoming the first two when he threw the 3rd one.

We had so many really good teams in the '90s that were ultimately undone by crap QBing it isn't even funny...

Just imagine what these teams could have done if they didn't pass up on Dan Marino in 1983. I could only imagine how powerful the offense would have been in the 90's with a great quarterback.

Edman
07-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Steelers Teams that should've won but didn't.

1995- The Steelers had Dallas on the ropes and Neil blew it.

Steelers Teams that lost but had too many issues to win a championship.

1994- Look, I know this loss was unprescedented, but if the Steelers couldn't beat a team lead by Stan Humphries, then they had no chance against the 49ers.

1997- Kordell Stewart versus Brett Favre in his prime? Lol.

2001- Much like 1997. Kordell Stewart versus Kurt Warner and the Rams? Double Lol.

2004- Ben was a rookie. Nuff Said.

2011- Like I said before, the 2011 Steelers weren't as good as their record indicated, and their problems caught up to them against Denver. Even before Denver, you could just see that this team was starting to mail it in.

2014- The Steelers not only lost Le'Veon Bell, but didn't have a suitable replacement that could pose any threat. Result? Offense is one-dimensional and the Ravens tee off from the whistle. Call it excuses, but Bell COMPLETELY changes the dynamic of that game.

Mojouw
07-13-2015, 10:58 PM
I can't remember what game it was, but there was one where Eric Green was wide open deep, would have walked in for the score and the immortal Bubby Brister overthrew him by about a mile and half.

I don't remember the year, or even if I have the QB correct, but I can still see the throw in my mind. It was bad.

Just additional evidence to the point that there were some solid to even possibly great Steelers teams who never went as far as they could because the franchise was lost at the QB position for a long time.

Edman
07-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Just imagine what these teams could have done if they didn't pass up on Dan Marino in 1983. I could only imagine how powerful the offense would have been in the 90's with a great quarterback.

Dan Marino wouldn't have put up the ridiculous record-setting numbers as a Dolphin, because the Steelers Offense was vastly different, but he would have 1-2 rings at the most, and he wouldn't have been to just one Super Bowl.