PDA

View Full Version : Spin and Fall just never was into playing

TeeTee
07-02-2015, 02:10 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dgXHt?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

Looking back, he never really had any passion to play, which explains why he never became as good as his physical skills seemed to indicate.

One of his "problems" is that he might be just too intelligent. That can hurt you when playing football. If you think too much, you may not be as willing to crash through a brick wall. You may be questioning if that is a wise idea. Just like soldiers, you don't want them thinking too much, more effective if they just crash through walls without questioning why. If soldiers start thinking, they may realize they are killing innocent people who were not causing anyone harm. That doesn't work; you want them feeling like the people they are killing are subhuman and don't count as killing humans, like most did in Iraq.

Spin and Fall said he doesn't miss football in the least and he is much happier being out of it. He has zero regrets about retiring in his prime. I think we are seeing a trend of players starting to realize that playing as long as they will have you isn't a no brainer anymore. It used to be. In this age of information, more players see the bigger picture. That whole archaic mindset of always making the field no matter how injured you are is bull. Spin and Fall is intelligent enough to see through that brain washing.

I never liked him as a player - never broke that final tackle to make a big play. Very frustrating. He was never better than an average NFL back at best. I think if he is your starting back, your rush game is below average. But I am happy for him in his getting out of a game he didn't even like. I wish him the best for the rest of his life. But good riddance from being a Steeler.

fansince'76
07-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Mendenhall was the starting running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers in two Super Bowls...

Nope. Parker was the starter for XLIII, much to steelreserve's chagrin. :chuckle:

To the point of the thread, though, I remember when he was first drafted and there being questions about his commitment to the game even then, which I personally blew off. Turns out they were right on - his heart was never really into it and it showed. And yes, it was damn frustrating to watch him be brought down so easily by tackles he should have been able to bust through with ease because of his size.

You'd think his lack of commitment to the game would have shone through during his interview by the team, but he's also smart enough to tell people what they want to hear too. I have a feeling being a first round pick in the NFL was just a means to an end for Mendenhall - go through the motions for a couple of years for a lifetime of financial security and the freedom to do whatever the hell you please afterward (within reason). He's also more than smart enough not to have blown his money.

I've seen it estimated that Mendenhall made around $13.5 million in NFL career earnings. Of that, say he pocketed about $5 million free and clear (a very conservative estimate - it was probably a lot more, because I have a feeling Mendenhall is smart enough to know all about tax shelters). Just living off of a very modest return of 5% a year, that's $250,000 a year, which puts him very comfortably in the upper middle class. Not too shabby, especially considering that the guy always struck me as someone who more than likely doesn't see a need to have the best of everything or a need to "keep up with the Joneses."

TeeTee
07-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Nope. Parker was the starter for XLIII, much to steelreserve's chagrin. :chuckle:

To the point of the thread, though, I remember when he was first drafted and there being questions about his commitment to the game even then, which I personally blew off. Turns out they were right on - his heart was never really into it and it showed. And yes, it was damn frustrating to watch him be brought down so easily by tackles he should have been able to bust through with ease because of his size.

You'd think his lack of commitment to the game would have shone through during his interview by the team, but he's also smart enough to tell people what they want to hear too. I have a feeling being a first round pick in the NFL was just a means to an end for Mendenhall - go through the motions for a couple of years for a lifetime of financial security and the freedom to do whatever the hell you please afterward (within reason). He's also more than smart enough not to have blown his money.

I've seen it estimated that Mendenhall made around $13.5 million in NFL career earnings. Of that, say he pocketed about $5 million free and clear (a very conservative estimate - it was probably a lot more, because I have a feeling Mendenhall is smart enough to know all about tax shelters). Just living off of a very modest return of 5% a year, that's $250,000 a year, which puts him very comfortably in the upper middle class. Not too shabby, especially considering that the guy always struck me as someone who more than likely doesn't see a need to have the best of everything or a need to "keep up with the Joneses."

I'm not gonna lie. When they drafted him I thought we got a steal. His college highlights were pretty impressive. I knew nothing about him at all, other than his highlights. I guess there was a reason he fell down to our pick.

fansince'76
07-02-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm not gonna lie. When they drafted him I thought we got a steal. His college highlights were pretty impressive. I knew nothing about him at all, other than his highlights. I guess there was a reason he fell down to our pick.

As I recall, between him and Sweed, most of the "experts" that get paid for their draft opinions thought we hit homeruns in 2008 with both picks. Just goes to show what a crapshoot the draft really is.

TeeTee
07-02-2015, 03:23 PM
As I recall, between him and Sweed, most of the "experts" that get paid for their draft opinions thought we hit homeruns in 2008 with both picks. Just goes to show what a crapshoot the draft really is.

Indeed. Sweed was supposed to be first round talent. He wasn't even 7th round talent.

ALLD
07-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Mendenhall peaked in college like Al Bundy peaked in high school.

86WARD
07-02-2015, 03:48 PM
I HATED that draft pick and I HATED Bruce Davis pick. I liked the Sweed pick though...lol.

tube517
07-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I HATED that draft pick and I HATED Bruce Davis pick. I liked the Sweed pick though...lol.

I remember all my fantasy football opponents (non Steeler fans) were all jealous of that draft. SMH.

Mojouw
07-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Really thought Mendenhall and Sweed were going to be the cornerstones of the offense for years to come after that draft.

oops.

TeeTee
07-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Yea, but it's not 1985; in order to make 5% you have to have some cash in the market and there is a risk with it. As far as making a % that has zero risk, I haven't found anything that pays more than 2%. Considering his past comments, I bet you he is fully aware that a big bubble burst is coming. Let's say he pocketed more like $7 mill. If he went ultra conservative and made 2% on his cash, it's still $140,000 a year without touching the nut at all. Being that he is likely the way you described, I bet you that would still be plenty for his lifestyle. If he put his nut in the market, it could get cut in half in one day and that would suck.

- - - Updated - - -

I HATED the Davis pick, as we desperately needed OL help and didn't even need a LB at the time. I feel like this year they finally stopped trying to be too cute in the draft, always taking someone who the rest didn't see coming just to prove how brilliant they are.

Steeldude
07-02-2015, 04:37 PM
I am was against this pick. I knew he was soft. I remember catching a lot of heat when I faulted him for his ridiculous, pointless spinning. Haha

fansince'76
07-02-2015, 05:10 PM

I remember all my fantasy football opponents (non Steeler fans) were all jealous of that draft. SMH.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/9amopc.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/9amopc.jpg.html)

:chuckle:

86WARD
07-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Yea, but it's not 1985; in order to make 5% you have to have some cash in the market and there is a risk with it. As far as making a % that has zero risk, I haven't found anything that pays more than 2%. Considering his past comments, I bet you he is fully aware that a big bubble burst is coming. Let's say he pocketed more like $7 mill. If he went ultra conservative and made 2% on his cash, it's still $140,000 a year without touching the nut at all. Being that he is likely the way you described, I bet you that would still be plenty for his lifestyle. If he put his nut in the market, it could get cut in half in one day and that would suck.

- - - Updated - - -

I HATED the Davis pick, as we desperately needed OL help and didn't even need a LB at the time. I feel like this year they finally stopped trying to be too cute in the draft, always taking someone who the rest didn't see coming just to prove how brilliant they are.

I was more pissed they passed up Avril for him. I didn't mind the DE/LB pick there...Avril was far and away the better prospect. Best thing the Steelers got out of that 2008 draft was the eventual signing of:

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/steelers_fins_wtf.gif

86WARD
07-02-2015, 05:40 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/9amopc.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/9amopc.jpg.html)

Lol. I love that "campaign". Very few were on board that bus...very few were strong and hopeful...

hawaiiansteeler
07-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Mendenhall’s Roethlisberger story wasn’t completely accurate

Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2015

The story told by former Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sticking a rookie with a $25,000 tab was interesting. It would have been even more interesting if it were, you know, accurate...

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/02/mendenhalls-roethlisberger-story-wasnt-completely-accurate/

st33lersguy
07-02-2015, 08:24 PM
to think we passed up pro bowl tackle Duane Brown for spin and fall when offensive tackle was a much bigger need than running back

86WARD
07-02-2015, 09:33 PM
In hindsight, there was a lot of talent then passed up for him. Most notable was Matt Forte...especially if they wanted a Rb...

hawaiiansteeler
07-02-2015, 10:21 PM
I fully realize that hindsight is 20/20, but here's who the Steelers could have drafted in 2008:

1) Matt Forte RB, Duane Brown OT, DeSean Jackson WR
2) Jamaal Charles RB, Ray Rice RB
3) Cliff Avril OLB, Jermichael Finley TE
4) Brandon Carr CB, Josh Sitton OG
5) Carl Nicks OG/OT, Matt Flynn QB
6a) Pierre Garcon WR, Steve Johnson WR
6b) Justin Forsett RB, Cary Williams CB

Steelman
07-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Isn't Mendy a writer now for HBO? I'm sure they pay pretty well, even if he doesn't need the cash. I remember reading some blog posts on his website after he was drafted, interesting in an eyebrow-raised kind of way. He came across as more of a poetic thinker than football player. Glad he's found something else he likes, I think it's a better career for him.

Man that 2008 draft was just something else. :crazy:

86WARD
07-03-2015, 04:55 AM
I fully realize that hindsight is 20/20, but here's who the Steelers could have drafted in 2008:

How they missed on everything in that 2008 draft drives me up the wall. When I look at that draft class, it makes my stomach turn...that draft class was so terrible, possibly the worst in Steelers history...

fansince'76
07-03-2015, 07:03 AM
How they missed on everything in that 2008 draft drives me up the wall. When I look at that draft class, it makes my stomach turn...that draft class was so terrible, possibly the worst in Steelers history...

LOL...

Steelers 1983 Draft Class (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1983)

Steelers 1985 Draft Class (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1985)

Couple those two drafts with the fact that the only halfway decent player they got in 1981 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1981) was Hinkle and the only players they took in 1982 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1982) and 1984 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1984) that kept those drafts from being complete whiffs as well were Merriweather and Lipps, respectively, and you have about 5-6 drafts in a row that completely sucked ass just as much or more than 2008 (the 1986 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1986) draft was a doozy too, considering that Brister was the "jewel" of that class, LOL). At least the Steelers got SOME production out of Mendenhall - some of those drafts in the '80s produced nothing, and I mean NOTHING.

And as far as 20/20 hindsight goes, they also passed on some local kid named "Marino" in '83 to top it all off.

It's really no wonder why Dan Rooney fired his little brother (http://articles.philly.com/1987-01-07/sports/26187519_1_art-rooney-dan-rooney-dick-haley)...

stillers4me
07-03-2015, 07:20 AM

:toofunny: I forgot about that one!

stillers4me
07-03-2015, 07:26 AM
It wasn't that I was against the pick so much as ...just him. I was never a fan, kept trying to give him chance to prove me wrong, but he just never seemed to win me over.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact he looked like a Simpson's character.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/image/jpeg;base64,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wCEAAkGBxQTEhQUExQVFhUVFRgVFBUVFxUXHBcUFBUYFxQVGB cYHSggGBwlHBUUITEhJSkrLi4uFx8zODMsNygtLisBCgoKDg0O GhAQGy4kHyQsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLSwsLCwsLC0sLC wsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLCwsLDcsLP/AABEIAM0A9gMBIgACEQEDEQH/xAAcAAAABwEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAgMEBQYHAAj/xABCEAABAwIEBAQEBAQDBgcBAAABAAIDBBEFEiExBkFRYRMicY EHMpGhI0JSsRTB0fBicuEzQ1OCkvEWNFSywsPTFf/EABoBAAMBAQEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAgMEBQb/xAAqEQACAgIBBAEDBAMBAAAAAAAAAQIRAyExBBJBURMFImEycY GhI5HxFP/aAAwDAQACEQMRAD8AdUWPyVNUYMoDmaXJGtjySsmN1DKoU S5PMkWtzTCLhiWGpdU I35y 2mx3G/RWOoqIs4qLjMGWU7JKbxTRGOW7iC52pA5KIATrFq4zSueee3om wW6RLDNCFAEYBUIFCEC4IAMuXLkASmBYy6ndcatO4/mFpGFcVxSAeYX6E6/RZIEKlxTGbQcWhaS67bnc3CrmP8aNALYzmd22Hus7zHqfqVySi FitTUOkcXONyUQIAEKsRy5AhTA4rkVxQNKQB1yC6FAHK34TG/wCKd4POx6qnq5cPwNp4zI9/chTPgaHc75IaYy1ErWuAvbW3ojYjLLBRiqa8E5QbG x/7prxjhraymEkT/lFwL6HTopQ0zarD2Q5w27ACelrLGiiN4SqJKuJ784DwT5e6QwC tqpppYXWa1lw46m/T7JbBsHFA7MJczXeVwv8AQ/dSVVWxQiSRpF3alCTAo3ENE2KYta7NzPqospermL3ued3G6RXQ uCQq5GXIEIOrpDoZHEdyUXxXWtmNulykAlGqUhhwjBECMFQg4R gihDdABkIRQUKADLkVGToAUKKlIoy4gAEk8ggAqFP24Q/MGmwcdgmtZSujcWuFiErQCSFFBQpgCgXIj5mjcgepCBB7LgE0l xOJp1cPbVG/j4/1t qVodMdBCkYZ2uF2kH0SqegBQl5OhJ9Lot110AKCVwFg4gdASuZ M4aBxHoSERFRQCkkzjoXOI7klFLydyT7lAgToDiilGKKgAFy5c kAWswqWL52G3VNAt2rsLZI0ggLKOK8E/h5Lj5T9lEZWNkGEYIgKMFYg4QgooQooAyEIAuBQAZcgXApgGCn cLd4MRlAu92jR9lBAqVoJpJA2OIAvbqLqZAh9guFTyzNkcDocx JROL5Wmaw3AsVJPrKqmivILO yqc8xe4ucbkm5KmO9g/QRJVNS2MXcbBdUThjS52wVJxTEXSvJvYbD0TnOgSslK7Hnu QZW/dQ01USSS4n11SMbHOcGtJcTsFY6PgOokBccjbHYu19f2XLKftm qRWzN13QtnPI7f3urPPwC9gJLgR2F1HDhZ5Nmvv7WUfLD2aLHJ 8EfBXuB0JB/vorDh3EFwGvGo3PUKOPC0w0590xq8LnivmabdQLq4ZF4ZMoPyi/sdcX6oVWOF8UuSxx32J69FpPC3DxnOZw8g2HVdUZWrMWqIWlop JPkYSnp4dqLX8Na1QYSyMABoCdeC29rKJZUhpWYZUUj2fO0j1S C2zE8FZI0gtBWW8SYGad nyHbstIysVEKUC4rlYgpQrlyQGywYxEZjCHDMBe11BfEGlDoXH pqnVLwnEKkzctwO/VMfiHVhsJb10C5cSa0zq6lYlXxtvW79mXNRwiBGC6TlYZGCKCh TEGQhFuuQAZCEUIwCABVn4EaPGLjpYbouBcPMe3PK4gb2CsmF0 1MSY4eXzH3Wc5KqGkKcdEOhuOn8lmi1rFIo2gNk TLqqriHD9O9uaF5Gl7JRkkDRlPFVZ/uwdLXKrZOvb/RSfFLz/ABD2n8hy/RQ5WcnbNFwTnDIHig9DftotEpK9wd2PRZ9gVJlcHH1V5w3DXvs 5v19FxZWnI6YRpbJeprjlOn9/2VUqqbK 4Kn6zD3NHmv7FV egaSbOIWSkvJpCD8EnBXFwGuqVmfc67eiiG4Y9vySC/Q6J3D/ABAFjG1/o4A/dXFotQITG8LER8eIAFpzObyI5nst94Hex9LDI0ZQ9gIBt/JYxUjNcOY5hIILXagi3I7LT/ha0T4VC0uILbtNjqC029l14peDm6mCVMvbvVNRAc2/umgwU3v40mndOIZW3MQfdwFz1t1UZemjlpvwYwm4jhtQ3NkuL2 vbsoLi/DxJE7TlcKPHD8/8bnErstr5j0/TbayncdNojc38p1W2Nv1Rt1GKGPt7ZXasxRwsUCGU3J9T 6Ius4zlyC65IZtVbiDImHUCw6rI Kca/iJND5W7dz1THEsbmn d1h kf3qmAKiMRhwjIjSjhWJhkIRQUKBBkKKhugAyd4ZCHysBNgTqe iZ3UjglYGSAEXDtNr2SfAI0WlqoGAsuDy9U2w3wopXPB bWySgwmBhdUlt7N2/0TfgWvbVz1LzG0NbZrBblY6rnLJrF6qKSwzDUIkVTAxuXSwCzu irmx4o/MLs8QtsdgDax qlvihhuXLPCD8tiGk2udG6etkm9WEdujJeJ6eQTyPewtbI9zmE kOBF o/bdMcNpi QAKeEIh/DM7Ji/RzNXDMd7At0I11vqgwai8Nz78nZfYLB5dM6lhqSJKCJsbQSNht 1RZeJqgtyNcGN6AW 6fz4W6Zvkdbn2UD//ACRHM0VTyGX1y7kDoeWtu654JPk3m14GVXW1Gpz/AEcLpvS4vK06uJHQqy4Bw7HLUyCV8fgWe5r2vOdxIIjABdoRcE 3HK2qr1ThLmylnzNvo4WsRfTbY9RyXR9lUYruu0WSixhrmjNvZ OZcWjj82p6DmOyjsPwN2t9gLqFqngucCdAfT7lYRim9HY3Udlu jx6KcWuWu5X1Fx yvPwSmMdPIxx3mcQ0nYaD21/dY/TsjBF7gna97G4B5gdRqNNQrhw/WyQBrmnUfdt9L y7MMfuZxdQ7gmb9OwuacrrX5rO6PhurbiLniZ1rXLzY5hf5LbW TrCOOWWAk8p77fVTB4ugGudv1XXjySx2l50cMoKVX4LE0ZRcm5 6qkce42GsLGnzO09BzKa4zxyCCIvMevJUaqqnSOLnm5KzjEuxJ AV10UlbCBugQXXIoCPBRgUQI4SAMEcFECFAB7obogRggQYFDdF QhABlKYFVRRvzSAnppdRSEJVYF2ouMWCRwkb ERYaa 4SOCY7T01RM5gPhy66A6HY6Kn3QZlPxoLL1UYvh7szsnmNzfKb 3TOu4hbNTmLKS64sOoa4HQ9dFUrobqZYk4tIqMqaYhDhDKeYl4 Dn2L4zrYDQAEfqFz9lHB/mPck/dSWIVkvkDiCwk2OgNwOf9VCSfNdeZ2yTaZ6XcpJNFrwOtaw2KD iCgjnvbfsq0yqspXD6scysWmnaNYqLIyHhY5t3/X imIcEbHa1s3T p5qUlrBl0TaifG78SSYNP5Wdup6I SclsO2MWPKGjOcDqDex7KqY2PBlkzQhzHgguGhAOht016K90Es bntLXtOupuNEaswtry9p3BzNI6Ea/tsqwvbRUl3IolHJHLTNp2tebTCZ0kjrmwBAaBbQWcfupoKTqMP jiiNgMx9FEr0 md2ef1cVHtSD3RboFy6jkDXRboEF0AGzIpKAlFJSANmXIl1yYC FRTuYcrhYogKneMXt8RoHzW8ygAVKdjDgowKICjNKYCgKEFJgp ekp3SPbGwXc8hrR1J/vdAgt0 ocJnm1ihkeOrWOI trLT Ffh/TxZXzuE8g1y/7tp7NPzep gV6YAAAAABsBoAOwWbyLwUonmDH6mopLeTKb5XNkZqLa/K4X91FwcdTtIJigdbqy37Fav8c6ymmidBmIq4C2QMLHjNG8a5X 5cpFr892lYCQsm7ZpHSNAg Kz2ixo6Y gt/Ip7D8X7b0EJ/5gP/rWYFqF0RCVIDU2fGBn5sPiJ/zt/wDzSTvivCd8PiPqW/TRgWXhqmOE4IH1UbKkfhvOW97WcflJ7X090noNFqrOOoZzZuHs BNrZSdD1FgmdXXNY9rJaJzC4XaHOcLjtZalT8KxQ6RRsAuPPp8 vO/O/dU3jzHGSvGVubwCY2SaeZ1vMR2CzdDxzbdIqdU2ziBproN7dvZ HpRc7/6Jk2S vO6VFWGAnqsJRZ2RlRPNZm8t9Oah8Q4d5tkcB0cL290ph JDdz2tHIc06disVwDMDfs631soj3Rei24yRDUVHVRk5GlwGt27 H3Vt4YmqG5pJzlB Vm56XPQWSrHm3kc13SzhqD0CLUz38oFnWta2pPRaOV7rZcI150 KV9e6Q6Me4DTyNLtT6BDT4fPIbR08zupyFgH/AF2VicGUVMAX5SPNK69ruI19hsPRUjGuLKmplbT0L3ZXD5mXa5 xO/mPygey68TcI0efnfySssk3DdSxge6Ow18pczMLdW3uomVhabOB B6EW/dQ2L8DyxQSVFTUsztF8nmeXG jc5tqe11bPgfTfxTKxlSHSwsbHkzEkscM1/DJ1bpbQdlssnswcaIm6AlW7jXhZlM1kkLiWPGztx6/VU660TskElBdBdFJTAMSuRLrkWFCVZVule57jq43P9Em0pMFGC kYoCjApO6MEwFAVPcGW/igT WOQj1yEf/IqvgqY4Wo5JqhjY83MvLCAclvMLnQX2ueqjNJRg3J0qGlsf1PE FTDUmanjqJG2sSwF8Zc3SxbsRyJbYgjfdXjhT4gipu2WMwvABu Q61zpluQNb32vpzRp8NxFw/DqYKZos1sMcHjNaxos0ZpHD6ta3fnZRVfT4lGPxYKauYNfIDBK D1bclt/QgrwYfUOn/THIr/AJS/vR1djfKJTiLhqjr5hPI6USCMRgxuAuAXEXa5pv8AMV50x7DjBU TQn8j3Ad238p i15td4sjY6aplo6g6Clq4fndf5Q4/N7ElZ/x/HUCoaamDwZtnFtzHJb87D/K69HFklJb/AKM3FLgrtJhznluwDtbnaylsSwZsbi0uBcBfRPZXt00Gg ihsTk2PPMr2yRvLSZQeyQmALQefNK1jzfXc8uyaPfyVAXiTi orKaClu5pj/2srXEF7WizRp239FCYrUAuDWizGDK3v1KXwyHw4LjRz/s3mUwrGaLFySdI2hj1YWN6NKNr6hR/iEFPWTAhU0Cl4HDXxn5mjsdva41T5tEx48uZo6gNeP791EOhDu dkMGGndsoHuR xU/yaL9idosCbr5w4jrFlIPZwef2Vz HWGPdVNmlAdHE7Iy/5nW31OuUG/rZVvgzBZ6idkOdxLtS4lxa1g1c49v3JAW24fhrGyxxRizIm6ev InudSfVVFW9k5ZpKloyX4r8NVIrGsfUfgSkmB0pysB/4RLRbMOWbUjmqvw7Qz01cwMbnIHntoMh0cb9j9V6S4twSOrpZY ZW3a4aHm1w2c08iFRY HzFG0NFyxobe1r5QBf7LXg5Ysp2NcHVeIVTnZvDgblDS4k/lGYtYO5IubbLVODMPp8PhETC1kYF5JJHAFznWBc9xsLnQfQKMw HEw12U7fmvyTriXHMNBFPWvh84a/w5Gkgi5DS6wsNQTqsc2b44OVN/hclKPc6JPjnDXVNG4U VzmnMA0g3HMA9bWKxJy05tDJSNbNhkgdTkgvoy7NHI1xGZ8D7k xutc2Bynos6xmqEk8zw0sD5HuDTu0Fx0PdadF1cM8X2/yvKJyY3B7GhKKSgJQErtIDXXJIlckKix4nw1HlL4JLje26q7hY 2K1CkZT5QwEXtuqBxJAGTuAII7KISb5KaI8IwSYKMCtBCjSts4 IwH FpwHD8R9nyf5iNG gGnrdZ38PsFjqJi55P4TmOawW8ziSfNf8oy8ltcdLcak/cfsvC q4s3V/4MWkv1N X4X59m2JqH3MQc3NvcfZNX0YNxckHcH9wV2K4VO6xgnyEflexs jT63s76OCgavHp6P8A87DaP/1MGZ7B3kjPnjHpnA6r5zN9E6rGrjUv2OqGePFhcfwCOqYYJ7lw 80UgNnadHfqCo/EUk8ML6Ouc2qhsHU1QbCVjm7Nk6kfqvfub2F3x3iWDwPEjka86 Ojcw3ueViFA4Nhn8WHT1ADxICMh1AadLLX6f1GTpYOeTUfX5/Brkgsi1yYzjcj45CwgtsAbHoeY7KL8VxN9dNVeeOsDkhywyXcI 2uNJPzMAIvDJ3bcWI/bamMgcYy5oNho5fWYssMkFODtM4GmnTGz3km5UvwpgT6yoZE0G 1wXu5NbfUlQ7W32XoT4acMikpfOLSyjM4uNG y0ehGdcdYb/A4hLAT GWskgJ/4bm2t7Oa4eyr8hButV NeCGoo4a1gu m/DmA/4biAHf8AK77PKxSOqI31WMsVu0bY81KmKm1yEjI23yoHy63CKZ 1aTE2mKwXcn9LTG 6Ywz2Vo4E4dkxGoETbtibZ08nJjL7A/rdqB9eSJJvgacY TS/hJQGKCasftIPDhvoS1hOd/oXWA/yd1ofD0eZpkO7zp6KucQPDGRwwgMjjAYxo0ADRYAfS3sVL8MYh ljax4ykbdCqiqMJu9lgqXAN9VHzUjSw5k8mGZw6bplXT5jkHL9 1ZBAf HhI7Qj1AN7d06wnEKPK GECZzHlkjiy4zjQtMjmgOIsBYXtoFF/EjE5aLD3ywHK9z2R5xuxrycxHQ6Wv3WDw47K3aWQak6PcDcm5O h5m vdYZ1NxrG6fvk1hV3Lg9KYZhEUIywxtjbmLsrdBdxudFS/iNwudaqFulvxmj/3/ANVSOGviPV07hmeJm82TEv07O YHbmR2WvcMcd0lcPDP4Urhbwn2s642Y/Z3poey8rpOgzYcvy9 /K9m2TIpKq0YiUUlSHEVGIaqeJuzJHNb6A6fZRhK k5RxgrkF1yB0XDiXAi6sh8JzhG/VwDnW090044ZFG5jGDzWu47peHi2PIL/ADN2VRr6wyyOeee3os4RBhA5HBSIK57tNPZXdCLBwrxnHhz5nO YZHuYAxoOVodcm73WJAsRsCrBB8b5hvRxOH CZzfuWn9gssnvzAJ72ApTB4IOjWext/Nc7duy0jc8P8AjhA5wbU00kDT dr/ABQO5GVpt6X9FZcV4mpnweJHLHMxw0ykOv2tuD2tded8Phc7WR oy91J4SWSztizlkepLmENdcbBpOgN9fZQ5Vsfb3OkWSTA6gfjw MY0Zs7YiNHXPyjkD276dFbeBOIY5/EjaCwtOZ0Tt43nR7O4zAkH/ABItLi0YjME8geNmy5bHt4ttGvH6hYabDnCzRZamKuitc3hqgP z65RKPQ5Ce1ui8z6j00OpwtrlLR0YJyxy7ZcMT NtSWRwNHMuNu1v9VmuGV7mxGMBpDj01 qsPxNxjx6prXaiJtvdyqzHhrm5RbrrfVafSsLx9LCL55/2LO/vaLt8IeDnVVSZpG/gwEHUaOkPytHUDf6LeMRAAa4DY5fUEf1H7IeFZWPpIZI2hofE1 wAFt2jknFWweE7Nt/rv2Avf6lelRzt7I6la0l8bwHRytIc0i4IIs4EcwQVg3xI4AfQS OkiDn0jj5XbmIk/7OT Tjv6rc4rhwvyP/AHCeTtvpYEEWIIuCDuCDuOyEB5GIQ5D0W7cV/CeCYmSkIppDuwgmFx7Aax 1x2Wey/DHFBKIxT5rmwkY5pj5al1/Lv8AmsUDsrmB4LNWTsghbmkefZrfzPceTQNSV6d4Y4diw6jbBF qR5pH2sZJSAC8/YAcgAo/4d8Dx4bEb2fUSAeNLbQAaiOO oaPqTqeQFgxubK0NG7trfv8AUhBJCV2HZh4hIAbcNv8AQn1J09 lHQ01QCCG5QeTr7f4gAQBv1OvJWhkNgCdS1tmDfKOvqeZQVmIM giMspDWAtBJ/xODb/e655dRCOVYt3V/9NIwlLj9jsDrM12P0da4F7i1yMzTzb 1wCAnxgAJOgPPVR2JMzMEkJGYeeNzSCC62mo3a4eU9j1UhSVbZ Y2PAIzMbIAd8r2hwv3AIuuhGb0R3F DNq6GeAuHnZdp/TI0h0bvZwC8p1cD4nujkaWva4te06WIXpzjbjCGiis9wD5AbAa nKLZiBz3A91564zx5tbN4wjbGbBuly54Gxeds1tNOQ5qG25UWl 9pERzWTymq7KJBSsb0NAWoYgZDd7i5xtdxNybCwuTqdglbqtQV FlJ01WqjkceRdqZILkRsgOy5bfJH2R2sbAowKSRgVoIVzJCd5P Ydtz/RFll5BMJRfd33WE5XotKhR0Y/T9SVJ8NOEUpkIGjHBpNvK421 mYe6ioYb67Dr1SktY7TIdllJWqLi6aZYaxr5PxHsvGT5iwW301 A25Jm/h5knmp3FhHJxJBPruPupTBuIg5oFgHN1MZ09wNnfRP7ZyXtDWE 7DkT36LjeSUdHb8cZLRW31s8TgyYEHYO3a70I0KkqWvfECA78J/zi1y08nNtr0uPTolJ8THmZI2xHzMIGo6jqFDVFTlvYHK7bseQT W EJrVPYx4ghPieM6 ST5Tz001t7plRwZ3tYzUuNh6lJPxCQtLSbi/PW3oUanxF7BZuUd7a/VdcI9qS9HHJ222epOCYzDRQRP ZkbWutbcAW/pr lSOI1rGBgfYNkeIwCL3zHYjnfbXqsv F/FcMFJH/Ey eWR XM8CwacumbQm5Gne6vdRjEM0czmaujhe9jS0hwc1mbMAdyM7Bc E6rVGch1UsGVj2jRzWkfS7ft/NPY3ZgOu47rq2G0bQPytaB7Aaf36pk13kFtx/I2/vokJDyQkNJGh9lXMV4g8N TI6QtcA9z5GsYAWh5ILiSXWIs0NsTYXCnM5c3rb2I/qO26zfijBZpKsvbGHtOUAEgWcAAMwcNhl3F9HFS1WzTHFN1J0j QOHcQbKBILgOzC1wbZH5fy6ckmK4SVEjh5vDztY2 /hBoNu aRw iZcO0T4YfxXAloc RwFhe5eQ0HkM1r9U04eDxTxVDWlxzzPkaAS50U0jnOyjm4FrHW 55SBqQivRBMOq6yS3hwshbzdM7M7/lY33GvX2UFxDTtxFj4G1OWWncQ6IZcrngfMRbMRuL3sDfRWoVL Z47xS2Dho MtJHLTMCAfUaWWe0nArIKx0srvFiDC MyanxC4ZvE5Ei9a/Jawx4Zwl3unWghmy4ckZYyX4cpGU1HGwNAkeGmR2lzI62YE9Bt bsj0uMBkMDvkZGy5c42FiMwH3KqfGfFzWRlsNna5C8bAnQxt6v Ive3yg33tfMuKsUfPLd7i4MAblvo02uSB3J37eiyjrgucpZJOU uWL8b446uq3zbM SIEgWjbsbHqST7qDEI6j6/wBEkHDmlAWf4voEyQXxDqPa6SBSzXR9/olHMa4eUi/0/dIYg16cRTJo9pBsdChDkqGS8VTouUa2RcpoLJx4INjoRyRJJbB Xn4g4BkvIwW6rOp33Nui6JS0QkBI6 5sE3Y9l9Bfuf6IshzHoAky7kFiWL1FYXaAfRINB6OHtdKxhx XQfqKVjbbme5O5/oEwE2AuIGt7jK7XTXmr3iYNMyPK8ytPlc6wuHjUizfykagqoxS WRnTrLJj7 TTHl7E6LFVzMkYLi/Q82nsowguY9p5D69wo/wAc8kWarsDrclSsVF/ i/BElC1FR2BbmBrHA8kjMLdNHTh0kGd0UkjCQA9x8VzCRZzg1uw/Tr0SeNS DRYeWFzJakST1UjBlztls4Rv0yuBEmgIPyqE4d IVXS07KanEQa25Je3PmzEkg62A/u6lcV I1TO7aFjLAFjWXDtADfNrY67EWB91Slolx2a1wq RzaqJ5zMimyRSHUvaWNcSWgWGp2bYE30CeNhIBFv7J68/wCeyw X4gVodeOUxtv8jA22wGuYEuOnNIYz8Q66dhY ctYdxG1sZd2zNF7dr6o7g7TWsW4ogo3jxJWh1/kF3Ottq1oJA7npZPcO4xopywCaPO61muNiXHlY2IO i80E5jc7J3TzZdDbt2SsKPR/F1e1lLLZzbkZQAQTqbH7E/dMcJx2mpqeFr5G5hEwZWec3IBIs3Qa33tsscwysDhbpof5FSrb 8vsueWWUXVHRHCmuS3Y5xFC8l0ML43u1MrZCwuNrAuazR521dc qBqJ3Si0kj3f5nH9hooyonsNU0fiR5N0WLnKXk1WOK8EkaFvlB DbMFmggeUdB09ks/DoXD8SNj7dQNPfcKNpcTvobKQlqLMuCP9FNspRXozriGhZDO5s Zuw Zt9SAeX2KZCO 1j25p7jZDpCet7/8AW4AfQJg1o5/Zd8eFZxzq3QNrbtP3Rm5DyIRSz9J9uf8AqhaT1/6gmIWMFxofqmz2kHVOWyWtfTuNQlHNDhZ3sQgBldcjSxFp19iu SoD0Rxc1skDiLEFpN/ZYBK/U pW8cX2jp3BoAAabD2Xn6UqnwhavQJdfQI4by5cz1RGaBCDopAX z/Rc16QuhDkgHOdAXpFcSgQo6Tohjb/3SBelacXQA0kFiVwKGXcoAmMkqcADv1RnS27psZChiF7k8uSQW LCXS59gkXylyITc6pQCwQFh2iw1SDpCTbuiPkJTrBaHx5hHmy3 uSbX0HLdMBzh1a6N17crWP2UrJjTnWF8qgsUyMkLI2uGS4cXPz Fx6/KA30Td8xuFlkh3OzoxT7VRb4mZm3cbk6phVVgakIq12UeiisQq CSueEG5G8pJKxebESDoiHF5f1EXUc06o50XUoJHK8svAeSW5ub ogaOyDOuJVmRzmEI7JjsSfX 90UOXHVMYsb73DguiNu7T9kix3JKM6df5c0CHYK5JMK5Az//2Q== http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130116015452/degrassi/images/6/65/Bart_Simpson.pnghttp://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/rashard-mendenhall-gi.jpg

fansince'76
07-03-2015, 07:44 AM
:toofunny: I forgot about that one!

I probably need to clean out my Photobucket account. :chuckle:

tube517
07-03-2015, 08:59 AM
LOL...

Steelers 1983 Draft Class (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1983)

Steelers 1985 Draft Class (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1985)

Couple those two drafts with the fact that the only halfway decent player they got in 1981 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1981) was Hinkle and the only players they took in 1982 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1982) and 1984 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1984) that kept those drafts from being complete whiffs as well were Merriweather and Lipps, respectively, and you have about 5-6 drafts in a row that completely sucked ass just as much or more than 2008 (the 1986 (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/draft/1986) draft was a doozy too, considering that Brister was the "jewel" of that class, LOL). At least the Steelers got SOME production out of Mendenhall - some of those drafts in the '80s produced nothing, and I mean NOTHING.

And as far as 20/20 hindsight goes, they also passed on some local kid named "Marino" in '83 to top it all off.

It's really no wonder why Dan Rooney fired his little brother (http://articles.philly.com/1987-01-07/sports/26187519_1_art-rooney-dan-rooney-dick-haley)...

86 Draft. A car accident basically ends Brent Jones' Steelers career. He ends up going and becoming a good TE w/the Niners.

86WARD
07-03-2015, 11:45 AM
LOL...

Harry Newsome had a nice career...lol.

stillers4me
07-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Mendenhall’s Roethlisberger story wasn’t completely accurate

Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2015

The story told by former Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall about quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sticking a rookie with a $25,000 tab was interesting. It would have been even more interesting if it were, you know, accurate...

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/02/mendenhalls-roethlisberger-story-wasnt-completely-accurate/

Whoa........Florio actually defended Ben..........!!!!! This day shall go down in sports history.

TeeTee
07-03-2015, 01:41 PM
to think we passed up pro bowl tackle Duane Brown for spin and fall when offensive tackle was a much bigger need than running back

I remember thinking that too. Not that I knew Spin and Fall would be mostly a bust, but I thought we'd take Brown if he was there. We ended up waiting until the 4th to take an OT, Tony Hills I believe. And he was known to be soft and he never ever proved that he wasn't.

fansince'76
07-03-2015, 02:12 PM
86 Draft. A car accident basically ends Brent Jones' Steelers career. He ends up going and becoming a good TE w/the Niners.

All I know is our drafts all of a sudden started to get a whole hell of a lot better again after Dan Rooney canned Art Jr. following the '86 season (Woodson, Nickerson and Lloyd in '87, Dawson and Jackson in '88, Lake and Olsavsky in '89, etc., etc.)...

TeeTee
07-03-2015, 05:37 PM

And who we took instead....

Spin and Fall
Sweed
Bruce Davis
Tony Hills
Dixon
Humpal
Mundy

100% worthless. Way to crap the bed, Colbert. That was god awful.

86WARD
07-03-2015, 06:21 PM
I'd still put that '08 draft right in there with the shit show that was the 80's.

hawaiiansteeler
07-03-2015, 08:07 PM
I'd still put that '08 draft right in there with the shit show that was the 80's.

one of the worst drafts in Steelers history; easily the worst under Kevin Colbert....

1 (23): Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
2 (53): Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
3 (88): Bruce Davis, OLB, UCLA
4 (130): Tony Hills, OT, Texas
5 (156): Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon
6 (188): Mike Humpal, LB, Iowa
6 (194): Ryan Mundy, FS, West Virginia

st33lersguy
07-03-2015, 08:16 PM
You know your draft class sucks when Mendenhall is the only player from the class that did anything