PDA

View Full Version : On What It Means To Be Injury-Prone, And How To Fix It

stillers4me
06-28-2015, 07:21 AM
The term “injury-prone” tends to get thrown around often—perhaps more often than it should—whenever the topic of discussion is players who have suffered multiple injuries in their careers. The term has come to be a pejorative, and is used in that fashion, often hastily, to portray a player in a bad light............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06/on-what-it-means-to-be-injury-prone-and-how-to-fix-it/

GBMelBlount
06-28-2015, 07:44 AM
I think "injury magnet" is a better term for Gilbert.

TeeTee
06-28-2015, 04:45 PM
One thing they didn't touch on was how taking steroids and/or HGH may increase injuries. Shazier played at less than 220 at OSU but showed up at the combines a buff 238, more ripped than ever.

Then after he got hurt he deflated like a balloon losing air.

If he was in PEDs, that could make him more injury prone. Here, in college, he looked far more like the size of a safety than a LB. Then he shows up at combine and he's huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmT5sX7G3xk

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/shazier.jpg?w=250

Chidi29
06-28-2015, 07:34 PM
One thing they didn't touch on was how taking steroids and/or HGH may increase injuries. Shazier played at less than 220 at OSU but showed up at the combines a buff 238, more ripped than ever.

If he was in PEDs, that could make him more injury prone. Here, in college, he looked far more like the size of a safety than a LB. Then he shows up at combine and he's huge.

Heck of an accusation there without anything to go off besides the eye test.

Athletes like Shazier get to work out at the best facilities preparing for the Combine, all paid by their agent. They're supposed to come into an event like the Combine in the best shape of their life.

86WARD
06-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Not to mention the amount of professionals he has training him and "feeding" him the proper diet...

katmandu
06-29-2015, 09:41 AM

If he was in PEDs, that could make him more injury prone. Here, in college, he looked far more like the size of a safety than a LB. Then he shows up at combine and he's huge. So are you suggesting he's just like Barry Bonds ?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kidzworld_photo/images/2012310/7dd50dd2-25b6-4f60-a0c0-fac9e70ae99f/a6.jpg

Steelman
06-29-2015, 11:28 AM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/5a/5abdd090f2d49a703ebc7cfadf713b0752fb4a1ac9099f5aec 67f4dd23d6836d.jpg

:chuckle:

TeeTee
06-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Heck of an accusation there without anything to go off besides the eye test.

Athletes like Shazier get to work out at the best facilities preparing for the Combine, all paid by their agent. They're supposed to come into an event like the Combine in the best shape of their life.

An accusation without anything to go on, other than over half of all NFL players are on some form of PEDs and the fact that he somehow packed on 20 lbs of muscle in no time. And if you don't think major div 1 football teams don't have gyms that are every bit as state of the art as any gym, anywhere, I don't know what to tell you. I happen to know what is in the OSU gym and it is cutting edge. It's not like Shazier was working out in some podunk gym previous to before preparing for the combine. We are talking a swing of millions of dollars here. He shows up at his college weight for the combine, and he isn't taken in the first 3 rounds. But he shows up a rip hard 238 and runs a sub 4.4 forty, bammo, first round pick.

- - - Updated - - -

So are you suggesting he's just like Barry Bonds ?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kidzworld_photo/images/2012310/7dd50dd2-25b6-4f60-a0c0-fac9e70ae99f/a6.jpg

I don't know about "just like" but there could be some similarities. But hey, you are making some serious accusations on "nothing but an eye test." How dare you. :toofunny:

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention the amount of professionals he has training him and "feeding" him the proper diet...

You don't think major div. 1 football players don't get "fed right?"

Chidi29
06-29-2015, 03:40 PM
An accusation without anything to go on, other than over half of all NFL players are on some form of PEDs and the fact that he somehow packed on 20 lbs of muscle in no time. And if you don't think major div 1 football teams don't have gyms that are every bit as state of the art as any gym, anywhere, I don't know what to tell you. I happen to know what is in the OSU gym and it is cutting edge. It's not like Shazier was working out in some podunk gym previous to before preparing for the combine. We are talking a swing of millions of dollars here. He shows up at his college weight for the combine, and he isn't taken in the first 3 rounds. But he shows up a rip hard 238 and runs a sub 4.4 forty, bammo, first round pick.

It's obviously a different mindset from a college, practice environment to a pre-draft workout. You have much more time to devote to training and specifically on getting your body ready. There is no opponent to plan for, no playbook to study, no 11 on 11 to run through. Everything is about you. These guys can train up to three times per day, I know some who have said just that. If you don't get better from the end of your college career to the combine, you really got screwed by your agent.

All you have is speculation. And that is a heavy accusation to bring up.

TeeTee
06-29-2015, 04:13 PM
It's obviously a different mindset from a college, practice environment to a pre-draft workout. You have much more time to devote to training and specifically on getting your body ready. There is no opponent to plan for, no playbook to study, no 11 on 11 to run through. Everything is about you. These guys can train up to three times per day, I know some who have said just that. If you don't get better from the end of your college career to the combine, you really got screwed by your agent.

All you have is speculation. And that is a heavy accusation to bring up.

Ummm, I guess you don't really follow what goes on in the NFL. It wouldn't be a surprise if he did PEDs, the surprise would be if he didn't.

Steelman
06-29-2015, 04:15 PM

To be honest, my "eye test" doesn't see much difference in those scenarios. Ryan already had a ripped body, I imagine he wouldn't have much trouble packing on 10 lbs of muscle and 10 lbs of water weight to tip those combine scales. Hell, even eating out every day for lunch, I can hit the gym 4 days a week and pack on muscle in short order.

Assuming you've been scanning images of Ryan's body, ( :chuckle: ) I'm sure you noticed how lean his muscle mass is. That takes a lot of work. In my experience, most guys using PEDS to bulk up quickly don't have ripped physiques, they'll look more like Barry Bonds in that previous picture.

There are a few guys I wonder about with PED usage, but Shazier isn't one of them.

TeeTee
06-29-2015, 04:39 PM
To be honest, my "eye test" doesn't see much difference in those scenarios. Ryan already had a ripped body, I imagine he wouldn't have much trouble packing on 10 lbs of muscle and 10 lbs of water weight to tip those combine scales. Hell, even eating out every day for lunch, I can hit the gym 4 days a week and pack on muscle in short order.

Assuming you've been scanning images of Ryan's body, ( :chuckle: ) I'm sure you noticed how lean his muscle mass is. That takes a lot of work. In my experience, most guys using PEDS to bulk up quickly don't have ripped physiques, they'll look more like Barry Bonds in that previous picture.

There are a few guys I wonder about with PED usage, but Shazier isn't one of them.

Dude are you kidding? It is FAR easier to add LEAN muscle mass with PEDs than without it. Sure, JUST taking PEDs doesn't mean you get ripped (if you eat sloppy and don't work out enough), but if he is naturally 220 lbs and then takes PEDs he could easily add 20 lbs and not lose any speed (actually would most likely get faster, why do you think sprinters are always on them?) It would be unrealistic to think Shazier wasn't hitting the weights all along, so a 20 lb spike in size, while remaining just as ripped, would be very hard to pull off naturally. Do you think Urban Meyer doesn't ensure his guys are hitting the iron? Nick Saban looks at his guys gym numbers almost daily.

Chidi29
06-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Ummm, I guess you don't really follow what goes on in the NFL. It wouldn't be a surprise if he did PEDs, the surprise would be if he didn't.

I don't think you know what "burden of proof" means. The "everyone is doing it" (clearly not a substantiated claim) is not good enough.

86WARD
06-29-2015, 09:07 PM
You don't think major div. 1 football players don't get "fed right?"

No. I don't think college kids are as mature and as disciplined as NFL Players.

TeeTee
06-29-2015, 09:10 PM
I don't think you know what "burden of proof" means. The "everyone is doing it" (clearly not a substantiated claim) is not good enough.

Ignorance is bliss. I'm not gonna try to convince you of anything.

- - - Updated - - -

True. But you should see the meal tables of div. 1 football players. It's high quality food in abundance.

fansince'76
06-29-2015, 10:30 PM

:iagree:

Recalling McCullers' recent revelation about video games, Doritos and soda pop...

Chidi29
06-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Ignorance is bliss. I'm not gonna try to convince you of anything.

You don't get how this works, do you? It's not ignorance. It's you making a severe claim and backing it up with nothing more than an "eye test" and a baseless claim. That's not how a claim works. You make the claim, you provide substantial details.

fansince'76
06-30-2015, 12:21 AM
You don't get how this works, do you? It's not ignorance. It's you making a severe claim and backing it up with nothing more than an "eye test" and a baseless claim. That's not how a claim works. You make the claim, you provide substantial details.

Don't hold your breath, Alex...