PDA

View Full Version : Preseason #3 - Steelers v. Donks - Who Gets YOUR Game Ball?

HometownGal
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Other than Maurkice Pouncey, there really is no one I can even give a piece of the game ball to. :doh: The kid played brilliantly in his first NFL start and I think Messr. Hartwig is going to be picking splinters out of his hiney this season. :thumbsup:

Honorable mention goes to Crezdon Butler.

I pray to all that is holy GoodHell reduces Ben's suspension to 2 games. :pray: Though I still prefer Lefty over Dixon and Botch, tonight's debacle makes me appreciate Ben even more than I already do.

Steelman
08-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Mine goes to Pouncey. Nobody else really distinguished themselves.

steeldevil
08-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Pouncey, Timmons, Dwyer.

X-Terminator
08-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I pray to all that is holy GoodHell reduces Ben's suspension to 2 games. :pray: Though I still prefer Lefty over Dixon and Botch, tonight's debacle makes me appreciate Ben even more than I already do.

Yep. Anyone who thinks the Steelers should get rid of Ben just got a glimpse of the future without him.

43Hitman
Denver

Hindes204
Pouncy did play great.......and our QB situation isn't looking good. Pouncy is one o the few bright spots of tonight. Dwyer had a helluva game too

The Duke
Batch. But then he drops it and breaks a leg :chuckle:

Seriously though, Pouncey too. He's ready to lead that oline. And they need a lot of direction.

Playing against jammal williams is no easy feat, but he was almost perfect at it. Good job rookie :thumbsup:

polamalubeast
08-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Limas Sweed

hotrodder07
08-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Man, there really wasn't anyone who stood out. Maybe Crezdon Butler, or Mike Wallace?

Timmons gets honorable mention. He's flying out there, and looks like he can have a break out season.

Just a disappointing game all around. I know it's the preseason, but it wasn't good.

SteelerFanInStl
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Yep. Anyone who thinks the Steelers should get rid of Ben just got a glimpse of the future without him.

Agreed. Be careful what you wish for.

My game ball goes to Pouncey. He played great.

Wallace108
08-29-2010, 10:18 PM
My game ball goes to Dixon ... he made the QB decision a lot easier. :chuckle:

Seriously though, Pouncey and Dwyer stood out to me.

steelpride12
08-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Ya gotta jump on the Pouncey bandwagon he is looking impressive blocking tonight and all preseason he should be our starter this season for sure!

Steeltreal
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Kiesel - how often do you see a Right DE make a tackle on the left sideline

Nadroj 20
08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Pouncey and Dwyer who made some nice plays.

Edman
08-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Pouncey and Timmons were the only guys that stood out tonight. No one else did much of anything.

siss
08-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Im gunna be at the 6th street bridge if anyone wants to jump with me!

Wallace108
08-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Im gunna be at the 6th street bridge if anyone wants to jump with me!

It's preseason, siss. Wait until at least the second game before you jump.

stillers4me
08-29-2010, 10:36 PM
My man Maurkice Pouncy. Here's to the next great center of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :drink:

siss
08-29-2010, 10:39 PM
It's preseason, siss. Wait until at least the second game before you jump.
So who appreciates Ben more now?

Wallace108
08-29-2010, 10:47 PM
So who appreciates Ben more now?

A few days ago we were all saying we couldn't go wrong with either Lefty or Dixon. Now tonight we're all saying we're in trouble with either of them. It's one game and it's preseason. We start Lefty, bring in Dixon to mix things up, and wait for Ben to get back to make our run for the playoffs. :tt03:

siss
08-29-2010, 10:51 PM
A few days ago we were all saying we couldn't go wrong with either Lefty or Dixon. Now tonight we're all saying we're in trouble with either of them. It's one game and it's preseason. We start Lefty, bring in Dixon to mix things up, and wait for Ben to get back to make our run for the playoffs. :tt03:

Dude seriously stop with THE LOGIC AND LEVEL HEAD!!!!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO FREAK OUT WITH ME!!!!!!!
:censored::rant::rant::rant::frusty::frusty::frust y:

Wallace108
08-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Dude seriously stop with THE LOGIC AND LEVEL HEAD!!!!

SOMEONE NEEDS TO FREAK OUT WITH ME!!!!!!!
:censored::rant::rant::rant::frusty::frusty::frust y:

We can freak out together after we win #7. :thumbsup:

HollywoodSteel
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Logan. Just for that one hit.

steelerdude15
08-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Crezdon Butler for the nice interception.

JayC
08-29-2010, 11:11 PM
all i know is this game got me a little uneasy about the 4 games until ben returns. i dont have complete confidence in leftwich or DD at this point and i don't really know if we can rely on our running game (at this point i dont think we can). I think we'll have to rely on our defense to keep us in games the first 4 weeks and if our cornerbacks don't step up their game it could be a long 4 weeks. hopefully B-mac is ready, im thankful we got him back to play opposite of ike. i dont have any trust in gay (from last year) or lewis (after today)

7willBheaven
08-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Pouncey/Dwyer on O....Timmons/Butler on D...and Logan on ST for that tackle haha.

Honorable mention to Sanders/Brown and Keisel/Gay

CanadianSteel
08-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Timmons was all over the field tonight .... very nice to see !
Troy was being disruptive as well, althoigh no "spalsh plays".
Offensive line did a very nice job pass blocking tonight.... but the downside is the QB's stunk it up except for Batch.
I think it might be a long first 4 games..... but hoping they prove me wrong.....

oneforthetoe
08-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Logan. Just for that one hit.

That was sweet. i'd have to go with Pouncy as well.

shutdown
08-30-2010, 01:34 AM
For every 1 positive play Dwyer had today, he had 2 screw ups.

Maybe those who were satisfied with him missed Leftwich reaming him in the huddle for completely blowing a play. He was reamed more on the sidelines the for blocks he chucked, one almost killing Leftwich.

Galax Steeler
08-30-2010, 03:20 AM
I have to go with Pouncey and Dwyer as well.

Boomerang
08-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Pouncey and Dwyer,Timmons

venom
08-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Pouncey and Dwyer looked very good last night .

GoSlash27
08-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Pouncey, Dwyer, Butler, and Logan. Redman looked solid for the little playing time he got.

Killer
08-30-2010, 08:28 AM

No shit!

Pouncey is just a fucking beast. What a mauler. What a find.

LLT
08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
I give the game ball to Pouncey also. But lets not lose sight of the fact that Mendy averaged almost 6 yards a carry against the Bronco's first string defense.

Polamalu Princess
08-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Can I keep my game ball this week?

LLT
08-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Can I keep my game ball this week?

Not a bad idea.

Someone suggested giving it to Denver...which has some warrant!!!!

cold-hard-steel
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't know who i would give a game ball to,if i even had one.I find it hard to draw conclusions from preseason games.After all you never want to give up your play book,when it doesn't even count.Show some looks for other teams film,maybe.Who knows what comes from the formation next time around,when it really counts.If someone put my arm behind my back,and really twisted it,i would have to say Pouncey,thats if i had a game ball to give that is.
That being said,i know we are all ready for the season to get under way,i suggest not getting too all fired up for the preseason,and be thankfull we have no major injuries thus far going into the season opener. To me,that is what matters the most! We are the STEELERS fanbase. Rock on Steelers nation.

Psycho Ward 86
08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Dwyer was phenomenal guys, by far the best out of all the skill position players. Dwyer and Pouncey get my vote, i wish we would've seen a little more one on one between Pouncey and jamal Williams, just curious to see how he would do man-on-man against a skilled nosetackle.

Devilsdancefloor
08-30-2010, 12:51 PM
butler, gay, burnett taylor they played decent and 2 of them got a TO which we dint have any until the last game from the steelers CB

shutdown
08-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Dwyer was phenomenal guys, by far the best out of all the skill position players. Dwyer and Pouncey get my vote, i wish we would've seen a little more one on one between Pouncey and jamal Williams, just curious to see how he would do man-on-man against a skilled nosetackle.

Really?

Was it the blown play that Leftwich chewed his ass out for that was phenomenal?

Or the horrible blocking that almost got Leftwich killed that was phenomenal?

If anything those late runs redeemed a sloppy start for Dwyer.

cold-hard-steel
08-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Forgive me for saying,but Dwyer could be a marshmellow.He just seems so soft.I hope i am wrong,for i did see some footage of him . It's a big adjustment to make for most coming out of college,but some do come through in the end.I want the big azz bruiser running into the middle of the line on 3rd and one,4th and one,or even 3rd,4th and goal. Thats what we are missing. Redman is my man in this topic.

43Hitman
08-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Steelers Notebook: A bad night for Dixon, others
Monday, August 30, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/20100829pd_farriourhurt_330.jpg
Peter Diana / Post-Gazette
Linebacker James Farrior leaves the game after suffering a deep cut on his head in the first half against the Broncos.

DENVER -- Coach Mike Tomlin was keenly interested in evaluating several players against the Denver Broncos, including quarterback Dennis Dixon. By the end of the 34-17loss Sunday night, he could not have liked what he saw.
Getting a chance to play with the first-team offense for the first time in the preseason, Dixon threw two interceptions -- one was returned 77 yards for a touchdown -- and did not produce any points after replacing Ben Roethlisberger at the start of the second quarter.
After completing 13 of 15 passes for 210 yards and a touchdown in the first two preseason games, Dixon was 6 of 13 for 58 yards with a 19.6 passer rating in the first half against Denver. That's not the performance Tomlin was hoping to see from his third-year quarterback.
Dixon finished 9 of 16 for 94 yards and a passer rating of 33.9.
"It speaks for itself," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "I didn't like the interception in the red zone. Hopefully, he'll get better."
But it wasn't just Dixon.
Cornerback Keenan Lewis, making his first start for injured Bryant McFadden (pectoral muscle), got turned around and was out of position on several plays, none more evident than on an 8-yard pass to Broncos receiver Brandon Lloyd.
But what really upset Tomlin was that Lewis was penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct for kneeing Lloyd after the play. Tomlin pulled Lewis from the game and lectured him.He never returned.
"He stunk it up," Tomlin said.
After the game, a frustrated Lewis smashed a sign on the wall outside the Steelers' locker room, shattering glass. When Tomlin was told of the incident, he told conditioning coordinator Garrett Giemont to make sure Lewis pays for the damage.
"I just hit the wall," Lewis said. "I got to control my actions."
More mistakes
It wasn't much better for rookie Emmanuel Sanders, either.
The Steelers were using him at flanker for the first time after spending training camp and the preseason at split end. But Sanders, a third-round draft pick, twice failed to come back to the ball on sideline routes, the latter resulting in a 77-yard interception return by cornerback Andre Goodman.
Worse, in the fourth quarter, he ran the wrong route that resulted in Charlie Batch's pass being returned 48 yards for a touchdown by cornerback Syd-Quan Thompson.
Farrior sustains cut
Linebacker James Farrior sustained an Eli Manning-type injury in the first quarter when he received a cut on his head after his helmet popped off while making a tackle.
Farrior left the field holding a bloodied towel on his head and did not return. He needed sixth stitches to close the gash.
"A little friendly fire," Farrior said. "My helmet came off when I was trying to make the tackle, and I finished off the job."
Bright spot
Rookie running back Jonathan Dwyer, who missed most of training camp with a shoulder injury, looked good in his first extensive action. He finished as the leading rusher with 89 yards on 13 carries and had runs of 17, 18 and 40 yards. He also scored on a 5-yard run.
Center of attention
Rookie center Maurkice Pouncey started and played the entire time with the first-team offense, further proof he has ousted incumbent Justin Hartwig. When Hartwig started the first two preseason games, he rotated with Pouncey on the first-team offensive line. But there was no rotation against the Broncos.
Tomlin said he wanted to see how Pouncey performed against Pro Bowl nose tackle Jamal Williams, and he wasn't disappointed. The team's No. 1 pick played well for the third game in a row.
Taking his lumps
Byron Leftwich, who is expected to start the regular season while Roethlisberger serves his suspension, came into the game with 6:36 remaining in the third quarter and was roughed up.
Playing with the second-team offensive line, Leftwich was hit repeatedly nearly every time he attempted to pass.
He was also sacked by linebacker Joe Mays.
Cuts coming
The Steelers have to make five roster moves to get down to the 75-player limit by Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10242/1083698-66.stm#ixzz0y7LkFgfH

cold-hard-steel
08-30-2010, 02:50 PM
I will remove my sig once again for those that it offended. After saying that , i still believe we need the back that can move the pile.Redzone has been through more than one camp now. His shortness of carries tell me he has won the eyes of some coaches to give him a shot.Dryer,thats right,Dryer has not shown me anything but creampuffness.He will be a load to take on later on,but come on. Redman earned a spot.We will chant "REDZONE" this year! Dwyer,i mean dryer,has some learning to do. My take only.

oneforthetoe
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Pouncy has been impressive, but in fairness, Jamal Williams has not been the great player he was for a few seasons now. As a matter of fact Hartwig got the better of the battle between the two the last few times they have played. I am waiting to see Pouncy pound heads with Haloti Ngata for the ultimate test. Still, the fact that I am looking forward to it as opposed to being concerned is awesome .

Just think of the battles that Ngata and Pouncy will have over the next ten years.
I have the name for the book already - "Tremors."

memphissteelergirl
08-30-2010, 04:28 PM

THANK YOU!!

Good grief..from some of these posts and some of the threads I've seen today, some of y'all think the season's over before it starts! Come slowwwly away from the ledge and calm down!

I saw the same game you did...and yes...I agree with the exception of a few players, they looked bad. Really. Bad. But it's preseason and only one game. I would rather these issues were identified and addressed now than 3-4 games into the regular season.

I know it goes against our nature as fans to see the Steelers lose in any game-preseason or not. But let's try to remember this is essentially an exhibition game for the fans and an evaluation of talent and playbook revision for the coaches. Whatever was going on with Dennis will hopefully be over with for the next game.

siss
08-30-2010, 04:32 PM
No one gets it! Im keeping the game ball!

GoSlash27
08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I forgot how bad Keenan stunk up the joint.

SMR
08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Pouncey and Timmons gets the ball. Hands down.

BigBenFn7
08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
I would give it to Pouncey. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the team last night.

pepsyman1
08-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I will remove my sig once again for those that it offended. After saying that , i still believe we need the back that can move the pile.Redzone has been through more than one camp now. His shortness of carries tell me he has won the eyes of some coaches to give him a shot.Dryer,thats right,Dryer has not shown me anything but creampuffness.He will be a load to take on later on,but come on. Redman earned a spot.We will chant "REDZONE" this year! Dwyer,i mean dryer,has some learning to do. My take only.

I don't know...I wasn't expecting much out of him last night, but he caught my attention on the play that he pushed the entire pile about 8 yards. He only got stronger looking after that.