PDA

View Full Version : Which Steelers played themselves off the team tonight?

Edman
08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Out of the top of my head...

Dixon...you're not the guy. You're not leaving, but it's back to third string for you.

Hartwig has pretty much seen his last action as a Steeler.

Keenan Lewis. For all the talk in the papers about how NFL-ready he is...no he isn't. Way to have a ten cent brain, man.

pepsyman1
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Out of the top of my head...

Dixon...you're not the guy. You're not leaving, but it's back to third string for you.

Hartwig has pretty much seen his last action as a Steeler.

Keenan Lewis. For all the talk in the papers about how NFL-ready he is...no he isn't. Way to have a ten cent brain, man.

I agree on all those calls. Lewis looked totally lost at corner and Hartwig's effort (or lack of) has me disgusted. We can't get rid of him fast enough.

On a positive note, if Dwyer can develop and do the homework he needs to do, he LOOKS like a Steelers running. Plenty of power and willing to drive into and through the pile when necessary.

The Duke
08-29-2010, 10:08 PM
I semi liked hartwig. He's capable of starting, I mean he did it with us for two years. But he was getting killed out there against second and third stringers!

Add that to his comments and salary and well, he's likely not be in the burgh come september 12

Steelman
08-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Hartwig did absolutely nothing to get an edge on that starting job he's been complaining about.

GBMelBlount
08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Whether Dixon or Leftwich, it sure looks like we will need a stifling defense the first 4 games....

steelpride12
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
No Hatwig just looks discouraged and ready to leave this team he may be gone, and I think if Dywer can improve and have a game like he did tonight in his final game he has a chance to be a Steeler RB.

SteelerFanInStl
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Hartwig is gone. Keenan Lewis played terrible. He'll still make the team but he won't be starting.

Steeltreal
08-29-2010, 10:24 PM
He didnt play himself off the team but any news on Farrior?

X-Terminator
08-29-2010, 10:29 PM
He didnt play himself off the team but any news on Farrior?

The announcers said during the game that they pulled him because of the head laceration. Same deal with Eli not playing last week.

Anyway, Hartwig had better start packing his bags. If he's still on this team by Thursday, I would be surprised. Keenan Lewis is going to get the chewing out of his life and will be whipped like a government mule over the next couple of days on the field. He's got talent, but evidently has a 10 cent head.

stillers4me
08-29-2010, 10:33 PM
He's got talent, but evidently has a 10 cent head.

The second coming of Anthony Smith??

polamalubeast
08-29-2010, 10:33 PM
The second coming of Anthony Smith??

Agree

43Hitman
08-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Flozell, please. HTG would do a better job at RT.

stillers4me
08-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, the good news is that we will have Ryan Clark and B. McFadden back for the real games.

polamalubeast
08-29-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM&feature=related

Nadroj 20
08-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Whether Dixon or Leftwich, it sure looks like we will need a stifling defense the first 4 games....

This is my thought.

For everyone hating on Dixon...I know he didnt play well tonight but either did Leftwich.

JayC
08-29-2010, 10:57 PM
thread starter hit all the main points. hartwig sucks, lewis did not look like a starter =/, DD should not start week 1 for sure, adams takes too many penalties [future drive killer each game].

X-Terminator
08-29-2010, 10:58 PM
This is my thought.

For everyone hating on Dixon...I know he didnt play well tonight but either did Leftwich.

Nobody is hating on him, they're just correctly pointing out that he didn't play well tonight and showed that he is not ready for the big time. Leftwich didn't exactly give me a whole lot of confidence either. If the running game doesn't get going, they're going to be in trouble once the season starts.

CanadianSteel
08-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Qb play was a big let down tonight for sure along with all the silly penalties.... we kinda beat ourselves on many occasions tonight !

oneforthetoe
08-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Hartwig may have indeed played himself off the team. I could say Summers and Vincent played themselves off the team by just not doing enough to give the coaches a reason to keep them - especially with Dwyer picking up his game. Also, obviously he is going to make the team as our punter, but Sep night have kicked himself out of the Kick off competition. On a side note, did I see Redman and Mendy in the game at the same time?

Steeltreal
08-30-2010, 12:00 AM
If the running game doesn't get going, they're going to be in trouble once the season starts.

Run plays should be mixed in the 2 minute drives imo. Especially with backup Qbs and some timeouts to spare. Passing becomes predictable. And Once again Mewelde Moore is in the game for short yardage with Redman as his FB not a blocker.

Edman
08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Nobody is hating on him, they're just correctly pointing out that he didn't play well tonight and showed that he is not ready for the big time. Leftwich didn't exactly give me a whole lot of confidence either. If the running game doesn't get going, they're going to be in trouble once the season starts.

The running game under Mendenhall is fine. It's just we don't make a commitment to it. That 4th and 1 call was ridiculous.

smokin3000gt
08-30-2010, 12:56 AM
This is my thought.

Dixon and left both left much to be desired but I do believe that if lefty started behind the first team,the hole wouldn't have been quite so deep.

Galax Steeler
08-30-2010, 03:23 AM
The running game under Mendenhall is fine. It's just we don't make a commitment to it. That 4th and 1 call was ridiculous.

I would have love to seen a quarterback sneek behind Pouncey on that play.

LLT
08-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Not saying that they played themselves off the team....but very poor performances by Adams, Hartwig, Lewis,..and serious brain cramp on the part of Brown.

Steeldude
08-30-2010, 07:39 AM
the entire defense looks bad. the O-line is as dreadful as last year.

Killer
08-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Some things never change. All the whiny bitches come out after a loss.

LLT
08-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Some things never change. All the whiny bitches come out after a loss.

Naw...what Hartwig...Adams...and Lewis did on the field (or didnt do) is a fact. That being said...it WAS a pre-season game and we DID have three starters missing from our defense.

Things will be fine.

Devilsdancefloor
08-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Essex looked BAD id like to see Legursky or Urbik run at RG with 1st team and see what Tony hills can do at RT

Killer
08-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Experimenting time is over - we got our starting C in Pouncey - what a beast! It'll be interesting to see who Tomlin has out there starting with the 1st team on Thursday night against Carolina - we got another game in 3 days.

No Ben - that's all I ask....we know what he can do. So we start Lefty behind the #1 OL and just run the ball with our back-up RB's. shit let Dwyer have a start, if we're gonna keep him.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 09:08 AM
I would have love to seen a quarterback sneek behind Pouncey on that play.

How 'bout REDMAN?!!?! Why does Arians continue to try to get cute with these short yardage plays?! Who cares if the entire city of Denver knows that we're going to give the ball to Redman? Show some balls & make the defense stop you....you know....sorta like STEELERS FOOTBALL?!?!?!

On top of that....anybody else get that sinking feeling in your gut everytime we get the ball in the red zone? I KNOW it's gonna be a field goal - everytime. We might as well turn around and run backwards to the 25 & take a couple of shots from there, cuz we aren't gonna score 6 from inside the the 20!!!

SteelerSal
08-30-2010, 09:15 AM
How 'bout REDMAN?!!?! Why does Arians continue to try to get cute with these short yardage plays?! Who cares if the entire city of Denver knows that we're going to give the ball to Redman? Show some balls & make the defense stop you....you know....sorta like STEELERS FOOTBALL?!?!?!

On top of that....anybody else get that sinking feeling in your gut everytime we get the ball in the red zone? I KNOW it's gonna be a field goal - everytime. We might as well turn around and run backwards to the 25 & take a couple of shots from there, cuz we aren't gonna score 6 from inside the the 20!!!

I'm honestly not sweating with what I saw from last nights game, it was said last night that Dixon's playbook was expanded from what he used last season against the ravens and Tomlin wanted to see what Dixon can do. Heck we only ran the ball a handfull of times when dixon was in the game.

It's preseason...which means, "evaluating players"....wins are secondary.

SteelerEmpire
08-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I thought Dwyer was out of here until he started to pick it up later on. But you can still play good and get cut... There's only 53 spots open...

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm honestly not sweating with what I saw from last nights game, it was said last night that Dixon's playbook was expanded from what he used last season against the ravens and Tomlin wanted to see what Dixon can do. Heck we only ran the ball a handfull of times when dixon was in the game.

It's preseason...which means, "evaluating players"....wins are secondary.

I agree. My beef isn't with Dixon, it's with the coaching staff. The best way to evaluate players is to put them in a position to win. I don't think Arians is doing that.

cold-hard-steel
08-30-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree. My beef isn't with Dixon, it's with the coaching staff. The best way to evaluate players is to put them in a position to win. I don't think Arians is doing that.

Uh oh ! Arians gettin on the board already. Fire his azz ! LOL

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Uh oh ! Arians gettin on the board already. Fire his azz ! LOL

I know...I hate getting on Arians already too. The feeling, after last season, was that Arians would be fired. When he was brought back, it was suggested that he would return, but his playbook would be "slightly" altered. I'm just concerned that it was more hollow promises from the coaching staff. Yes, it's a little early to tell, and I should probably reserve judgement on BA, but history would suggest that my concerns are warranted. I hope I'm wrong.

LLT
08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I know...I hate getting on Arians already too. The feeling, after last season, was that Arians would be fired. When he was brought back, it was suggested that he would return, but his playbook would be "slightly" altered. I'm just concerned that it was more hollow promises from the coaching staff. Yes, it's a little early to tell, and I should probably reserve judgement on BA, but history would suggest that my concerns are warranted. I hope I'm wrong.

I have noticed slight changes this year. Especially in regards to screens and using the pony formation. I'm still a little frustrated at our third down calls however.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I have noticed slight changes this year. Especially in regards to screens and using the pony formation. I'm still a little frustrated at our third down calls however.

That is true. Those are positives and I was happy to see it. I'm just a little concerned that BA will revert to his nature at key times & get cute on 4th & 1, rather than jamming the ball up the gut. Also, I'm stumped on the red zone issues...why do we struggle so much with punching it in?

LLT
08-30-2010, 10:36 AM
That is true. Those are positives and I was happy to see it. I'm just a little concerned that BA will revert to his nature at key times & get cute on 4th & 1, rather than jamming the ball up the gut. Also, I'm stumped on the red zone issues...why do we struggle so much with punching it in?

You got me brother..I miss the days of Bettis where you KNEW he could ALWAYS be counted on for a one yard gain when needed.
I am a little more optimistic with Redman in the backfield...but our line HAS to get it together.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 10:43 AM
You got me brother..I miss the days of Bettis where you KNEW he could ALWAYS be counted on for a one yard gain when needed.
I am a little more optimistic with Redman in the backfield...but our line HAS to get it together.

Ahhhh....Bettis....I have dreams about his "trucking" of Urlacher....THAT'S what we're missing. I too have high hopes for Redman, I just we'd seen more of him yesterday. For the life of me, I don't understand why Mewelde was in the game so much.

Nadroj 20
08-30-2010, 11:03 AM

I guess "hating" wasnt the best word, but what you said is basically what I'm saying. We could be playing 2 QB's while Ben is out :noidea:

The Duke
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
On a side note, did I see Redman and Mendy in the game at the same time?

Yep. I freakin love that formation :thumbsup:

And redman, in his limited carries, did fine against the broncos first team defense. And their dline is pretty heavy. Defenses will have to plan against both in that formation

Summers hasn't shown much so imo you could very well keep 4 backs and no fullback. Use johnson as the H Back at times and use the redman/mendenhall formation

seems like arians is finally getting creative :chuckle:

steeldevil
08-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep. I freakin love that formation :thumbsup:

And redman, in his limited carries, did fine against the broncos first team defense. And their dline is pretty heavy. Defenses will have to plan against both in that formation

Summers hasn't shown much so imo you could very well keep 4 backs and no fullback. Use johnson as the H Back at times and use the redman/mendenhall formation

seems like arians is finally getting creative :chuckle:

This is exactly what I think will happen. Mendenhall, Moore, and Redman should be givens IMO. And with the way Dwyer played last night he should make it as well. He has too much potential to put on the PS, someone will nab him in a heartbeat. Summers odd man out. Use Johnson and Redman as FB.

steelatl
08-30-2010, 02:48 PM
I haven't rewatched last nights game yet, but it seemed to me at the time as soon as Hartwig entered the game the flood gates were open and all hope was lost. So my best guess is that Hartwig is gone.

Chidi29
08-30-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't think Hartwig played himself off the team as much as it is Pouncey playing really well and making Hartwig expendable. If Pouncey would have looked lost and not been able to handle the mental aspect of playing center (Identifying defenses, calling out protection), Hartwig would still be starting.

Chidi29
08-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Agree

I wouldn't go that far. They're both too aggressive, but Smith was also very cocky.

pepsyman1
08-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I haven't rewatched last nights game yet, but it seemed to me at the time as soon as Hartwig entered the game the flood gates were open and all hope was lost. So my best guess is that Hartwig is gone.

BINGO! I saw one series at the start of the 4th quarter that he was blown out on every play. I swear you could see footprints on his chest when he was coming off the field! LOL It looked like he put absolutely ZERO effort in.

GoSlash27
08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Keenan played himself right off the team and I can't say I'll miss him. Dixon... I'm in the minority here, but I'm still in his camp. Flozell is a penalty factory.

Devilsdancefloor
08-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Keenan stays he is too much of a talent I still say essex need to be on the short bus outta town ugh

X-Terminator
08-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Also, I'm stumped on the red zone issues...why do we struggle so much with punching it in?

Part of the problem is not being able to run the ball effectively in the red zone. If you look at some of the teams who have high RZ TD percentages, usually they are decent to good running teams. When the Steelers traditionally were one of the best red zone teams in the league, it was because they could beat you into submission with the run, even when everybody, their brother, God, Allah and Marvin the Martian knew it was coming. Unless that gets fixed, they are going to continue to struggle in the red zone.

BigBenFn7
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Hartwig is probably trying to talk himself off of the team so he can have a chance to catch on and possibly start somewhere else. I say have fun.

pepsyman1
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Part of the problem is not being able to run the ball effectively in the red zone. If you look at some of the teams who have high RZ TD percentages, usually they are decent to good running teams. When the Steelers traditionally were one of the best red zone teams in the league, it was because they could beat you into submission with the run, even when everybody, their brother, God, Allah and Marvin the Martian knew it was coming. Unless that gets fixed, they are going to continue to struggle in the red zone.

I agree 100% When you are ABLE to run effectively, you have choices. It makes everything else that much more effective. Last season and so far this season, we usually run so poorly in the red zone and in short yardage that we shy away from it or try some lame misdirection attempt to "enhance" our run game. Our opponents know it and start looking for us to pass and have plenty of coverage on everyone. We GOTTA be able to run, even if we continue to pass alot...it's the only way to keep the defenses guessing. We used to run into the opposite problem for years when Cowher wouldn't let our QB throw when we needed it...teams would put 8 in the box and make it almost impossible to run and dare us to pass (and we rarely made them pay for it)