PDA

View Full Version : Don’t forget about Fogg, Webb when examining the Steelers’ CBs

hawaiiansteeler
06-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Adamski: Don’t forget about Fogg, Webb when examining the Steelers’ cornerbacks

June 22, 2015 by Chris Adamski

From the outside, they’re the forgotten men in the Steelers’ quest to improve their secondary.

Caught in the middle between established veteran and high-pedigree rookie, B.W. Webb and Kevin Fogg might be Nos. 6 and 7 among the seven cornerbacks on the Steelers training camp roster when it comes to headlines. But don’t be surprised come final cuts in September that one and/or the other finds his way onto an opening day 53-man.

“There’s always room for improvement and things to do better at; I’m still trying to get a grasp of some things,” Webb said last week in the locker room following a minicamp workout. “But I think I’m doing a good job of showing them that I’m ready to get out on the field and start playing.”

Everyone knows projected starters William Gay and Cortez Allen, who have a combined 13 seasons with the Steelers. Fans also are keenly aware of rookies Senquez Golson and Doran Grant, who were each drafted within the first four rounds of the draft last month.

Antwon Blake, after late last season showing he could play – even excel – in the NFL, likewise is a known quantity of sorts.

Where does that leave Webb and Fogg?

In an uphill battle to win a roster spot? Perhaps. But each also has an intriguing case to make.

to read rest of article:

https://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2015/06/22/adamski-dont-forget-about-fogg-webb-when-examining-the-steelers-cornerbacks/

Count Steeler
06-23-2015, 02:27 PM
They should play them just for their names.

Steelers had a Fogg over their receivers.

Their receivers are caught in a Webb.

86WARD
06-23-2015, 03:00 PM
Fogg lifted as *insert opposing WR here* catches 10 balls and 2 TDs.

*insert opposing WR here* surfs the Webb for 10 catches and 3 TDs.

Count Steeler
06-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Fogg lifted as *insert opposing WR here* catches 10 balls and 2 TDs.

*insert opposing WR here* surfs the Webb for 10 catches and 3 TDs.

Guess I'm more of a glass half full type.

Psycho Ward 86
06-23-2015, 07:18 PM
They should play them just for their names.

Steelers had a Fogg over their receivers.

Their receivers are caught in a Webb.

let the collective groans commence

86WARD
06-23-2015, 08:52 PM
Guess I'm more of a glass half full type.

Just trying to balance you out...;)

hawaiiansteeler
07-03-2015, 01:57 AM
Question: I know it may be too early to tell since it's before training camp, but who do you see as a potential sleeper pick to make the team?

Answer: This is a tough question to answer as we are still weeks out of camp, but if I were to put my word behind one of two players who I think might make the team's 53-man roster, it would be between defensive backs B.W. Webb and Kevin Fogg. The team will carry a large amount of defensive backs this season, and in my opinion one of those two players will make the roster to play special teams as well as bolster the depth at the defensive back position. The player who makes the roster would be behind William Gay, Cortez Allen, Antwon Blake, Senquez Golson and possibly Doran Grant, making them the No. 6 cornerback on the roster.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/7/2/8886671/steelers-mailbag-why-mike-mitchell-will-take-the-biggest-step-forward

hawaiiansteeler
08-23-2015, 11:55 AM
No Rain, but Noticeable Fogg at Camp

By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Good morning,

Remember this name: Kevin Fogg. He is an unheralded cornerback from Liberty University, the school that sent the Steelers tight end Eric Green in the first round in 1990. At least he was unheralded until the spring when people began to notice him in OTAs with the Steelers.

He has taken that to another level in this training camp.

Fogg has been one of the best corners in camp. He not only stays with the receivers, he’s aggressive and has more interceptions than any other in camp. He had another yesterday and could have had two more. He also has the lone interception in their two preseason games.

A respected coach once told me that when a veteran teams goes to training camp, most of the roster is already picked, that maybe three or four spots are up for grab. Fogg looks to be one of those grabbing a roster spot on a defense open to players such as he.

Fogg, a Raleigh, N.C. native, went undrafted in 2013 and did not sign until mid-June with the Miami Dolphins. They cut him before the season and he went football jobless until last December, when the Steelers signed him to their practice squad. They re-signed him in January and he should make the 53-man roster this time.

A high school running back, he is only 5-10, 185, but he is stout enough to come up and make tackles as well as cover.

--- Onto some stuff:

--- If you read Ray Fittipaldo’s story on Cam Thomas Thursday you probably came to the conclusion that the Steelers have one too many nose tackles and not enough defensive ends...

to read rest of article:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/08/21/No-Rain-but-Noticeable-Fogg-at-Camp/stories/201508210001

JoeyPorter55
08-26-2015, 11:23 AM
With #27 out the whole year there is some extra room for a CB who otherwise wouldn't have made the team

I wanted us to draft Webb when he came out, so it was cool to see him come to us after gaining a couple years of experience

hawaiiansteeler
08-26-2015, 12:42 PM
I wanted us to draft Webb when he came out, so it was cool to see him come to us after gaining a couple years of experience

me too, and ironically Webb was chosen by the Cowgirls one pick before the Steelers selected Landry Jones in the 4th round...