PDA

View Full Version : Is it me?

pepsyman1
08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Watching this game and the previous game, it appears that as a whole our offensive line does look better than it did last year...BUT, is it me or does it seem to anyone else that we seem to be much better at pass protection than we are at run blocking? I'm seeing some solid pockets being set up for both Ben and Dennis Dixon, but on run plays I'm not seeing too many openings being made. I've really expected to see some strong attempt toward the right side with Adams over there and our history of pulling the left guard to help in that direction, but so far I'm not seeing anything that leads me to believe that our boy Bruce is gonna be any better at generating a running game this year. He's begrudgingly putting a FB in on a few plays, but I've yet to see said FB actually be a lead blocker and accomplish much.

HometownGal
08-29-2010, 09:17 PM
It's the 3rd preseason game, pepsy, and I'm not going to throw BA under the bus during or after a preseason game. This game is basically to see what works and what needs fixin' and to weed out the ground beef from the filet mignon.

I am a huge fan of the FB and even though I am a BA supporter, I'll be torqued off if he doesn't utilize a FB at least some of the time. On a side note - other than Pouncey, I really haven't seen all that much out of our OL tonight (or the last two games). I really don't think they're that good as a unit and I hope to God they prove me wrong once the regular season starts. :pray:

Edman
08-29-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm not encouraged at all from what I've seen tonight, really. The Steelers looked really soft and lethargic. The amount of undisciplined play is ridiculous. Keenan Lewis, what the hell man.

Pittsburgh was exposed tonight. The players we thought would be good additions to the team are turning out to be duds. The same mistakes that made 2009 a disaster are still being made. The 4th and 1 call. What the hell was that?

Also, can anyone tell where the hell Redman went? Is he hurt?

Steelman
08-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I thought OL was pretty solid on the whole for the first half, except for those penalties near the end. But the run blocking did seem a little suspect.

X-Terminator
08-29-2010, 10:23 PM
It looks like we are still having problems with the OL. They are very good in pass protection, but are complete duds when it comes to running the ball. Everyone wants the Steelers to run more...well, in order to do that, you have to get some help from the hogs up front, and they simply aren't getting it. When Maurkice Pouncey, a 20-year old rookie, is your best offensive lineman, you've got problems...and that's taking absolutely nothing away from the kid, because he has been terrific.

I did not like the lack of discipline either. As I said in the Gameday thread, 4 personal fouls in one half is totally unacceptable. Last week, Ike gets tossed out of the game. In the first game, I believe they had 1 or 2 PFs. That had better get cleaned up and fast. Nothing wrong with being aggressive, but you have to be smart.

Anyway, I'm not going to say the team was "exposed" or anything, because it's still preseason. But these are most definitely concerns going in, to say nothing about the QB situation.

Steeltreal
08-29-2010, 10:38 PM
side note
Spin Move count
Mendenhall - 3
Redman - 2

43Hitman
08-29-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not encouraged at all from what I've seen tonight, really. The Steelers looked really soft and lethargic. The amount of undisciplined play is ridiculous. Keenan Lewis, what the hell man.

Pittsburgh was exposed tonight. The players we thought would be good additions to the team are turning out to be duds. The same mistakes that made 2009 a disaster are still being made. The 4th and 1 call. What the hell was that?

Also, can anyone tell where the hell Redman went? Is he hurt?

Redman's made the team, I just think they wanted a good look at Dwyer.

Steeltreal
08-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Redman's made the team, I just think they wanted a good look at Dwyer.

Redman got 3 carries at FB up the middle but failed to give it to him on an easy 4th and 1 conversion when Dixon and the running back both rolled out right.

Devilsdancefloor
08-29-2010, 10:56 PM
way to many mistakes and penalties mental errors out the ass. id rather see legursky or urbik play RG essex (& Kemo) look horrible AGAIN.

tube517
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Good 'ole BA with that call...

but I'm liking the "pony" backfield with Redman at FB and Mendy at RB. Dwyer finally has a good game. I think we will see a lot of Dwyer in the last preseason game.

Redman got 3 carries at FB up the middle but failed to give it to him on an easy 4th and 1 conversion when Dixon and the running back both rolled out right.

JayC
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
too many little mistakes for me to be thinking about an improvement from last year just yet. not a terrible performance but they didn't really do anything to get me all that excited either. i will reserve judgement on them until the falcons game is over. If they can be middle of the pack this year i'd be fine with that.

Steeldude
08-30-2010, 07:50 AM
the O-line looks the same to me too. confused and depleted of talent.

The amount of undisciplined play is ridiculous

IMO, it's been that way since tomlin arrived. i have never been impressed with the coaches he hired.

on another note, i'm really beginning to think that kirby tells the RBs to do that lame spin move. i see them all doing it.

LLT
08-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Our defense looked undisciplined and out of sync.....BUT we were missing three starters.

McFadden...Clark...Farrior.

The defense will be fine....no worries. The right side of the O-line on the other hand needs some work.

fansince'76
08-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Our defense looked undisciplined and out of sync.....BUT we were missing three starters.

The defense will be fine....no worries. The right side of the O-line on the other hand needs some work.

Agreed. The defense also had nothing to do with the two pick-sixes.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
too many little mistakes for me to be thinking about an improvement from last year just yet. not a terrible performance but they didn't really do anything to get me all that excited either. i will reserve judgement on them until the falcons game is over. If they can be middle of the pack this year i'd be fine with that.

How can you be okay with middle of the pack? This team is chock full of talent & should be fighting for at least one home-field game in the playoffs. There seems to be very little growth and progression from the young guys & that reflects poorly on the coaching staff.

I said this last year & I will say it again, Tomlin needs to stop playing the "just one of the boys" role with these guys & start crackin' skulls. So far my feeling is that he's a lot of talk & knows what to say, but he's either too inexperienced or too young to be tough on these guys. He needs to start sticking out that jaw & spitting in some players faces (accidentally of course) when they screw up!!

Don't get me wrong - I like Tomlin & want him here, but I just want to see more discipline & growth from the youngsters.

vasteeler
08-30-2010, 08:28 AM
he did get into lewis's face pretty good after the 2nd pf

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 08:43 AM
he did get into lewis's face pretty good after the 2nd pf

Exactly!! And I loved it!! He needs to do more of that & he should have done it to Harrison too....of course, a couple of bodyguards would be handy in that case!

Steeldude
08-30-2010, 09:05 AM

ugh@mcfadden :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
08-30-2010, 09:12 AM
If anyone noticed, the game strategy changed up from the last two previous games. Wallace ran "way" more inside and curl routes, Dixon ran with the 1st stringers (Dixon was not confident, he was afraid), Redman was almost non-existent. You could tell the Steelers were out of their game...
But early on, those Steeler penalties really gave Denver the momentum...

SteelerSal
08-30-2010, 09:21 AM
If anyone noticed, the game strategy changed up from the last two previous games. Wallace ran "way" more inside and curl routes, Dixon ran with the 1st stringers (Dixon was not confident, he was afraid), Redman was almost non-existent. You could tell the Steelers were out of their game...
But early on, those Steeler penalties really gave Denver the momentum...

Like I posted in another thread..it's preseason, evaluating players is primary..winning the game is secondary.
Coaches don't gameplan a strategy against their opponent like they do during the regular season. They put a plan together to evaluate their players.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Like I posted in another thread..it's preseason, evaluating players is primary..winning the game is secondary.
Coaches don't gameplan a strategy against their opponent like they do during the regular season. They put a plan together to evaluate their players.

You know what, I've heard this comment so many times that it makes me sick. It's preseason for EVERY team in the league. Someone has to win, why not us? There are two issues here....if the "plan" is simply for "evaluation" then either the plan is flawed or the evaluation proves that the preparation is flawed.

I agree that winning the game is not necessarily the primary objective, but we aren't getting beaten by our opponents, we are beating ourselves. That goes way beyond game-planning.

LLT
08-30-2010, 09:46 AM
There are two issues here....if the "plan" is simply for "evaluation" then either the plan is flawed or the evaluation proves that the preparation is flawed.

No....

The third game of the season is a time in which Tomlin traditionally throws his players "to the wolves". Its a "show me what you got" mentality in which Tomlin is checking his players to see if they are cerebral enough to use their heads in game situations and if they are mature enough to handle the pressure.

I would say that Tomlin learned a GREAT deal last night...for example : Brown might not be the most cerebral rookie on the team....and Lewis has some growing up to do.

The final score is secondary to finding these things out before the season starts.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 10:10 AM
No....

The third game of the season is a time in which Tomlin traditionally throws his players "to the wolves". Its a "show me what you got" mentality in which Tomlin is checking his players to see if they are cerebral enough to use their heads in game situations and if they are mature enough to handle the pressure.

I would say that Tomlin learned a GREAT deal last night...for example : Brown might not be the most cerebral rookie on the team....and Lewis has some growing up to do.

The final score is secondary to finding these things out before the season starts.

The only problem I have with your statement is that we aren't just learning about rookies here. Veterans are making silly mistakes, our offensive line has regressed from last year (don't pin that on losing Colon either), we still can't move the ball on short yardage, the defense can't get off the field on 3rd down, the return game looks pathetic, and Arians is still making stupid calls.

The point is...the score may not matter, but this team in not progressing as a veteran team should.

LLT
08-30-2010, 10:12 AM
The only problem I have with your statement is that we aren't just learning about rookies here. Veterans are making silly mistakes, our offensive line has regressed from last year (don't pin that on losing Colon either), we still can't move the ball on short yardage, the defense can't get off the field on 3rd down, the return game looks pathetic, and Arians is still making stupid calls.

The point is...the score may not matter, but this team in not progressing as a veteran team should.

I think I understand where you are coming from...Your not necessarily as upset about the outcome as you are with the the way the players executed...correct?

If so...I cant say that I disagree.

SteeleReign
08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
I think I understand where you are coming from...Your not necessarily as upset about the outcome as you are with the the way the players executed...correct?

If so...I cant say that I disagree.

Yes. Thanks for making sense of my muddled brain. Granted, the Ben issue has destroyed any semblance of a normal pre-season tune up. But, that doesn't excuse the mental errors all over the field. And, even Ben hasn't been able to punch the ball into the end zone...ring any bells from last year?

Steeldude
08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Coaches don't gameplan a strategy against their opponent like they do during the regular season.

al davis does:chuckle:

The Duke
08-30-2010, 11:24 AM
ugh@mcfadden :chuckle:

hey I don't like him much either but Lewis showed he's too much of a knucklehead to start yet

I like what I saw from butler though. But no way a rookie starts on this defense

SteelerSal
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
al davis does:chuckle:

I meant actual living and breathing people.:lol:

43Hitman
08-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Some really good back and forth between LLT and SteeleReign, I love the friendly debate. I also see where you're coming from SR, the mental mistakes are very unnerving and uncharacteristic of the Steelers. I hope Tomlin issues a wake-up call this week and can get the team focused.

shutdown
08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Good 'ole BA with that call...

I was thinking the same thing. Even saw Wexell make a comment about that play this morning:

And on fourth-and-1, a poorly designed rollout run/pass option for Dixon was snuffed by five – count ’em, five – Broncos who came free while receiving options Moore and Heath Miller let their men come unblocked.

Where was the fullback on the play? Well, he was the centerpiece of the play. Isaac Redman, apparently playing the Carey Davis role of non-blocking playmaker when in the game, already had three carries out of the spot, but drew no one on this play-action fake. Therefore, the fullback, tight end and tailback were all taken out of any fourth-and-1 blocking assignments by design.

The fullback options are worthless this year. This team has not changed its scheme or attitude in short yardage. As someone else said, they’ve been all talk.

Again, the meeting room misses the discerning eye of Dick Hoak, the curmudgeonly backfield coach noted for saying, “Nope. We can’t get that blocked.”