PDA

View Full Version : How the Steelers plan to become a feared defense once again

hawaiiansteeler
06-19-2015, 12:22 PM
How the Steelers plan to become a feared defense once again

Jeremy Fowler, ESPN Senior NFL Writer

PITTSBURGH -- For a moment, let's forget about the ability of the Pittsburgh Steelers secondary or whether young draft picks will pan out.

None of that matters if the Steelers' retooled defense can do two things.

Stop the run, get the fear factor back.

The great Steelers defenses could shake the mental toughness of a quarterback by placing him in third-and-longs, then driving shoulders into the chest of that quarterback.

Steelers defense usually at its best when it stops the run.

YEAR YPC ALLOWED RANK RECORD
2014 4.4 T-25 11-5
2013 4.3 21st 8-8
2012 3.7 4th 8-8
2011 4.0 9th 12-4
2010 3.0 1st 12-4

Four NFL seasons is enough for defensive end Cam Heyward to know run-stopping is the best way for the Steelers to get back to that.

"When you look back at the top defenses, here at least, it's all made on stopping the run," Heyward said. "I remember 2010, I had read something about the Steelers and they were talking about they had the best defense ever, and they stopped the run. They got after the quarterback and got interceptions. That didn't really didn't start until you had the front line creating havoc."

That 2010 team made the Super Bowl behind the league's best rushing defense that gave up an insane 3.0 yards per game. The year before, the Steelers finished ninth in the league in rushing yards allowed per attempt, and went 12-4.

Somehow, the 2012 team lost eight games despite allowing 3.7 yards per attempt. Last year's Steelers were tied for 25th in rushing defense and still won 11 games because the offense was so good. The Steelers ranked in the league's bottom third in interceptions and sacks, which is very un-Steelers like.

The way to fix that is clear-cut, safety Shamarko Thomas said.

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/84886/how-the-steelers-plan-to-become-a-feared-defense-once-again

polamalubeast
06-19-2015, 12:45 PM
The run defense is important but my biggest concern is the pass defense and the pass defense is more important....

ALLD
06-19-2015, 12:52 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/10/775679/a-statistical-analysis-on

Some of you who have been on the site for a while remember my statistical analyses on QBs, RBs (Part 1, Part 2), and WRs from last year. Well, recently, we had a Ravens fan arguing that the 2000 Ravens unit was the greatest defense in the history of the National Footall League. Sure, that's to be expected of partisans of Baltimore much like there was plenty of talk amongst Steelers faithful this year that the 2008 Steelers defense was the greatest to ever take the field. And if you were a fan of the Chicago Bears, particularly one who was old enough to vividly remember the dominating fashion in which the 1985 defense suffocated opponents, then your vote probably would go there. And on and on.

hawaiiansteeler
06-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Heyward Talks Changes Under Keith Butler

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06/he ... th-butler/ …