PDA

View Full Version : Randy Fichtner Should Be An Offensive Coordinator Candidate After 2015 Season

polamalubeast
06-16-2015, 01:08 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06/steelers-randy-fichtner-should-be-an-offensive-coordinator-candidate-after-2015-season/

TeeTee
06-16-2015, 04:00 PM
All these coaches make names for themselves off the backs of good players. How many times have you seen some hot shot, who is working with a great head coach and tons of talent, make a name for themselves when most of their success was because they simply had good players?

Remember Kevin Gilbride. He looked like some genius when he was OC for Coughlin and a loaded Jags team. He got a HC gig in SD and promptly sucked. Then he went on to some other OC gigs where he didn't set the world on fire. Funny how having Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Fred Taylor and a stout OL can make you look super. Same goes for Haley looking good as OC for SF, but then not able to work any magic in KC, but now looking good again when he has Ben, Brown, Bell, Miller, Wheaton, Bryant and a solid OL to work with.

ALLD
06-16-2015, 04:18 PM
All the douche' bags from New England.

TeeTee
06-16-2015, 05:48 PM
All the douche' bags from New England.

And none of them amount to jack squat. That heavy OC has a decent college gig. Mangini was a washout. Same with Crowell. Texan's coach, we will see.

ALLD
06-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Charlie Weiss never did anything.

Chidi29
06-16-2015, 09:01 PM
All these coaches make names for themselves off the backs of good players. How many times have you seen some hot shot, who is working with a great head coach and tons of talent, make a name for themselves when most of their success was because they simply had good players?

Remember Kevin Gilbride. He looked like some genius when he was OC for Coughlin and a loaded Jags team. He got a HC gig in SD and promptly sucked. Then he went on to some other OC gigs where he didn't set the world on fire. Funny how having Mark Brunell, Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Fred Taylor and a stout OL can make you look super. Same goes for Haley looking good as OC for SF, but then not able to work any magic in KC, but now looking good again when he has Ben, Brown, Bell, Miller, Wheaton, Bryant and a solid OL to work with.

Clearly we've seen Roethlisberger's game evolve? You don't think Fichtner has a hand in that?

TeeTee
06-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Clearly we've seen Roethlisberger's game evolve? You don't think Fichtner has a hand in that?

Of course, I can't say I _know_ either way, but it is likely that Ben merely matured. Norv Turner churned out an entire career because he was OC with a team with Aikman, Emmitt, Irving, that OL, etc. Was he ever all that? No.

Chidi29
06-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Of course, I can't say I _know_ either way, but it is likely that Ben merely matured. Norv Turner churned out an entire career because he was OC with a team with Aikman, Emmitt, Irving, that OL, etc. Was he ever all that? No.

It just seemed as a quite aggressive response to, as you admit, a situation that none of us can now. But I imagine coaching has something to do with it and played a role in helping Ben mature. And Fichtner had quite a bit of success in Memphis.

Turner also became a HC, a much different role and mindset required than just a guy who is good with an offense.

TeeTee
06-17-2015, 05:54 PM
It just seemed as a quite aggressive response to, as you admit, a situation that none of us can now. But I imagine coaching has something to do with it and played a role in helping Ben mature. And Fichtner had quite a bit of success in Memphis.

Turner also became a HC, a much different role and mindset required than just a guy who is good with an offense.

True, but he built his reputation from having hall of fame players. Even as OC since then, he is decent but not brilliant. Give me that OL, Troy, Irving and Emmitt and I could probably do a good job at OC.

86WARD
06-18-2015, 05:41 AM
What coach has been as successful as Turner and not had great players? Sure the players become great but sometimes that has to do with the right player in the right system...we see all the time a player on the verge of greatness switch coaches, switch systems and fall in to oblivion...

Chidi29
06-18-2015, 12:08 PM
True, but he built his reputation from having hall of fame players. Even as OC since then, he is decent but not brilliant. Give me that OL, Troy, Irving and Emmitt and I could probably do a good job at OC.

I don't want to get bogged down in individual cases, though I'd point out Turner's philosophy played a role in the success of the offense. Coryell system was really effective in Dallas (think of their Bang 8, a money play for Irvin over the years).

The point is we just don't know much about him. Sure, he's had great players but that's true of a lot of coaches who get promoted. I think it's safe to say Fichtner has helped quite a bit on the evolution of Ben's game and has had success as an OC in the past. Makes for a candidate worth talking about.

86WARD
06-18-2015, 02:09 PM
There was an article out there yesterday that said Ben stayed after practice to work with Fichtner on some certain throws. If Fichtner wasn't helping...I doubt Ben would request to have him help after practice.