PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 3rd best D in AFCN?

TeeTee
06-14-2015, 03:16 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2486529-power-ranking-2015-afc-north-defenses

The Browns did do something to improve their rush D, but they were DEAD LAST a year ago.

We probably won't overtake the Balt. D, but I see us as likely 2nd, not 3rd. Cinci has gone soft again, after seeming like a pretty good D in 2013.

Browns? I really like their first round pick, they added Starks and Phil Taylor will be back. But Gilbert is looking like a bust so far, and they lost Skreens, who was underrated, but added Williams, who is solid, and their safeties are good. But will their rush D improve by leaps and bounds? It will need to if they are gonna be a good D.

hawaiiansteeler
06-14-2015, 03:33 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/b7/b78b30b6d49d6a7cd5409730a5c28b9695b77848089233c132 897e080ee8f1e8.jpg

TeeTee
06-14-2015, 03:53 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/b7/b78b30b6d49d6a7cd5409730a5c28b9695b77848089233c132 897e080ee8f1e8.jpg

With no legit QB on the roster, once again, it could very well happen again, like always.

st33lersguy
06-14-2015, 04:00 PM
The Steelers are ranked 3rd because of all the unknowns and unprovens on defense. With that said, I am confident the unknowns and unprovens will realistically step up and at least pass Cinci's defense

hawaiiansteeler
06-14-2015, 04:12 PM
With no legit QB on the roster, once again, it could very well happen again, like always.

http://worldnewspress.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/trent-stripper-meme-elite-daily.jpg

polamalubeast
06-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Right now,the steelers have the worst defense in the AFC north...It can change but right now, the defense of ravens, bengals and browns are better

Count Steeler
06-14-2015, 04:39 PM
As of right now, there are no rankings because no games have been played. Speculation at best on the part of reporters.

Let's revisit after, say, 4 games at least. At least have some kind of sampling to base the speculation on. Everyone is 0-0. 0 yards gained, 0 yards given up. 0 points scored.

TeeTee
06-14-2015, 06:06 PM
As of right now, there are no rankings because no games have been played. Speculation at best on the part of reporters.

Let's revisit after, say, 4 games at least. At least have some kind of sampling to base the speculation on. Everyone is 0-0. 0 yards gained, 0 yards given up. 0 points scored.

Nothing wrong with making predictions on a sports message board - that's a lot of what the posts are. What else we gonna do in June?

And any how, we might know more after 4 weeks; what did we know about our offense 4 weeks into the season last year? That we'd have the #2 rated offense and passing game in the entire NFL?

Pretty sure most of us thought we'd be anemic all season after 4 weeks.

We put up a whopping 6 points in week 2. We followed that up 2 weeks later losing to the Bucs. Then we barely beat the Jags.

Count Steeler
06-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Nothing wrong with making predictions on a sports message board - that's a lot of what the posts are. What else we gonna do in June?

And any how, we might know more after 4 weeks; what did we know about our offense 4 weeks into the season last year? That we'd have the #2 rated offense and passing game in the entire NFL?

Pretty sure most of us thought we'd be anemic all season after 4 weeks.

We put up a whopping 6 points in week 2. We followed that up 2 weeks later losing to the Bucs. Then we barely beat the Jags.

Thanks for making my point. Pretty tough to have accurate rankings without a good sample size. Let alone with no samples.

st33lersguy
06-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Really cannot accurately rank the Steelers 2015 since we don't know how the young guys will do.

Psycho Ward 86
06-14-2015, 11:25 PM
this defense could easily end up being the best defense in the AFC North as it could end up being the worst.

im feeling good about the young guys though so I'll say we finish as the best or 2nd best defense

fansince'76
06-15-2015, 11:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1LMIUOOAI

:chuckle:

tube517
06-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Our defense sucks. Just fire Butler now. :chuckle:

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Right now,the steelers have the worst defense in the AFC north...It can change but right now, the defense of ravens, bengals and browns are better

Ravens - 8
Pitt - 18
Cinci - 22
Browns - 23

You are way off. What the heck are you basing your claims on? These are the facts, and Pgh will be IMPROVING not get worse.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2014&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

polamalubeast
06-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Ravens - 8
Pitt - 18
Cinci - 22
Browns - 23

You are way off. What the heck are you basing your claims on? These are the facts, and Pgh will be IMPROVING not get worse.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2014&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Only Dallas was less often on the field that the steelers in defense

Secondly, for the point per drive in defense, the Steelers were by far the worst team in the AFC north last year.They finished 25th.....Bengals, browns and ravens have finished in the top 13 for the points per drive

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Our defense sucks. Just fire Butler now. :chuckle:

I agree.

Butler's defense has yet to record a single sack or interception...:wink02:

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for making my point. Pretty tough to have accurate rankings without a good sample size. Let alone with no samples.

You still can TRY to predict where it will head. I am predicting mistake-prone, but more big plays too. They are going to just get after it, and bring back a reputation for being physical, not old and fragile. For the first time in over a decade, there will be REAL competition across the board. Jones and Shazier will get more "rope" being 1st round picks, Timmons, Harrison, Heyward, Tuitt are set. Everyone else will be competing and just wait and see how that breaths life into the unit. You will see. That is my prediction.

Rotorhead
06-15-2015, 12:47 PM
It is funny how certain stats are cherry picked to make a point, either way. I honestly we have the talent to be the top defense, but there are a lot of ?'s so I am just hopefuls we improve in the 2 main areas we need to, pass rush and coverage. That is all I ask from our def this season.

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Only Dallas was less often on the field that the steelers in defense

Secondly, for the point per drive in defense, the Steelers were by far the worst team in the AFC north last year.They finished 25th.....Bengals, browns and ravens have finished in the top 13 for the points per drive

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef

So, you moved the goal posts. Should I go out and find some stat where the Steelers are higher than 18th and claim it proves they were better?

You said they were the worst D. I proved that, statistically, they were 2nd. Then you changed the parameters to be about "points per drive."

Goal posts moved.

Also, doesn't the D have something to do with how long they are on the field? I mean, if they can't stop anyone, they are going to be on the field longer. Do you think that stat is only 100% determined by the offense? That is Coo Coo for Coco Puffs.

86WARD
06-15-2015, 01:17 PM
The offense may have a little bit to do with how long the D is on the field. See Chip Kelly.

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2015, 01:29 PM
It is funny how certain stats are cherry picked to make a point

there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics...

polamalubeast
06-15-2015, 01:44 PM
So, you moved the goal posts. Should I go out and find some stat where the Steelers are higher than 18th and claim it proves they were better?

You said they were the worst D. I proved that, statistically, they were 2nd. Then you changed the parameters to be about "points per drive."

Goal posts moved.

Also, doesn't the D have something to do with how long they are on the field? I mean, if they can't stop anyone, they are going to be on the field longer. Do you think that stat is only 100% determined by the offense? That is Coo Coo for Coco Puffs.

Do you think the Eagles had a top 5 offense last year?....The yards and points are not the only factor to judge an offense or defense....This is several factors

The Steelers were worse than the 18th ranking last year and it's not even close....Just have to look to the Advanced stats

If the Steelers would have had the same offense that the bengals or browns last year, the Steelers would have been in the bottom 5 for the points and yards allowed.

86WARD
06-15-2015, 02:33 PM
If the Steelers had a 2015 offense during Cowher's 90's era...oh boy...

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 02:59 PM
It is funny how certain stats are cherry picked to make a point, either way. I honestly we have the talent to be the top defense, but there are a lot of ?'s so I am just hopefuls we improve in the 2 main areas we need to, pass rush and coverage. That is all I ask from our def this season.

You know what they say, Rotorhead? There are lies, damn lies and statistics (meaning some stats seem to show one thing, even though the opposite is the actual truth). All things (and stats) considered, I think they were about where their yardage stats put them: 18th. They had moments where they showed they could put up some stops, and other times where they got gouged for huge plays. Sometime their pass D was weak and porous. They even got hammered on the ground from time to time. I believe the change to Butler will be very positive. No longer do they have to worship LeBeau and Polamalu. Now it's just straight up who does the best job. I believe this D will crack the upper half of the league. I believe we will improve the pass rush AND provide tighter coverage with the DBs. The front 7 will also do a better job. I truly believe that. I fee, as LT once said, they will play "like a pack of wild dogs."

86WARD
06-15-2015, 03:35 PM
The defense "should" be better than Cleveland and Cincinnati. Probably won't be better than Baltimore, although Baltimore has taken a couple steps backwards IMO.

Thing about this 2015 defense is that there are a WHOLE LOT of question marks...probably more than we've seen in a very, very, very, very, very long time...and that obviously is where the hesitation comes from.

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Do you think the Eagles had a top 5 offense last year?....The yards and points are not the only factor to judge an offense or defense....This is several factors

The Steelers were worse than the 18th ranking last year and it's not even close....Just have to look to the Advanced stats

If the Steelers would have had the same offense that the bengals or browns last year, the Steelers would have been in the bottom 5 for the points and yards allowed.

If IFS and butts were candy and nuts....or something like that. We can all agree the D wasn't that good, regardless of how you want to measure it. But the industry norm of evaluation has them better than Cinci and Cleveland, period, but it's not meaningful as bottom line we know we were soft, regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

The defense "should" be better than Cleveland and Cincinnati. Probably won't be better than Baltimore, although Baltimore has taken a couple steps backwards IMO.

Thing about this 2015 defense is that there are a WHOLE LOT of question marks...probably more than we've seen in a very, very, very, very, very long time...and that obviously is where the hesitation comes from.

I just think the lack of force-feeding Polamalu and his "instinct" plays (which we mostly all FAIL last season) and LeBeau's disdain for young players being gone, we are going to see an improvement. The front 7 will be improved from a little experience to Tuitt, Shazier, Jones and an in-shape Harrison. The secondary will be better without Ike (who at one point was the lowest rated starting CB in the entire NFL) and a fading Troy. That rookie CB is gonna make plays. Shark might even actually play. I am telling you, short of injuries, this D will be better than last year. And looking at our schedule, they will need to be.

st33lersguy
06-15-2015, 05:03 PM
If Stephon Tuitt breaks out and forms a formidable duo with Cam Heyward, that alone will cause our defense to jump up a few spots. Also, let's not forget that the defense played better without Troy and Ike on the field

polamalubeast
06-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Of course, the defense can be better, but the key will be the pass rush

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 06:01 PM
If the Steelers had a 2015 offense during Cowher's 90's era...oh boy...

If that, we'd have been in competition with Dallas for the best team of that era.