PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted in NFL as a defender, Roosevelt Nix tries to find niche on offense

LLT
06-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Unwanted in NFL as a defender, Roosevelt Nix tries to find niche on offense with Steelers
June 14, 2015 12:00 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One of the most decorated defensive players in Kent State history plays for the Steelers. He was the first player in school history and the fifth in Mid-American Conference history to earn first-team all-conference honors four times. He holds the school record for most tackles for loss with 65 and recorded 24 career sacks.

But the Golden Flash with the golden stats suiting up for the Steelers this spring is not former NFL defensive player of the year James Harrison, and he’s not playing defense.

Roosevelt Nix was a fearsome pass rusher in college, but at 5 feet 11, he was told he didn’t stand a chance of playing defense in the NFL. In order to keep his dream alive, Nix is attempting to learn how to play an offensive position for the first time in his career.

“The NFL has definitely been a goal of mine since I was a kid,” Nix said. “Coming out my senior year, I was going to do whatever I had to do to play football wherever I was going to do it. I started changing my body and tried to make sure I had a future somewhere to play football.”

Read More...http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/06/14/Unwanted-in-NFL-as-a-defender-Roosevelt-Nix-tries-to-find-niche-on-offense-with-Steelers/stories/201506140108

TeeTee
06-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Hasn't anyone ever heard of Sam Mills, Zach Thomas or London Fletcher? You can play D well as a short guy. He would have a much better chance still playing on D than trying to make it as a FB.

ALLD
06-15-2015, 08:48 AM
I have a better chance of winning the lottery than he has of making the team.

steelreserve
06-15-2015, 08:56 AM
By what stretch of the imagination is 5-11 too short to play linebacker? That's an inch shorter than James Harrison.

I was actually surprised to see how many of those guys were 6-3, 6-4, but there's no reason why you can't succeed at that position while being a normal height. The only reason he'd have a shot at fullback is because hardly anyone plays it. But you can pick up the best fullback in the draft in round 5-6, so I'm not sure what the point of this is. I doubt he makes the team in any case.

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 01:13 PM
By what stretch of the imagination is 5-11 too short to play linebacker? That's an inch shorter than James Harrison.

I was actually surprised to see how many of those guys were 6-3, 6-4, but there's no reason why you can't succeed at that position while being a normal height. The only reason he'd have a shot at fullback is because hardly anyone plays it. But you can pick up the best fullback in the draft in round 5-6, so I'm not sure what the point of this is. I doubt he makes the team in any case.

It's just another case of the Steelers thinking it's cute and smart to change a player's position. We already have a FB in Johnson. What is the point of this? If they guy led his div. and team record for tackles for a loss, put him at LB for God's sake. When Jimmy Johnson was asked about Zach Thomas' lack of height, he said, "We didn't draft him to change lightbulbs."

Height can help, in knocking down passes, but it's not that important in playing LB; speed, instincts, tackling, pass rushing, coverage skills are all more critical.

Moving him to FB is just a waste of everyone's time. But they sure are proving how cute and smart they are.

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2015, 01:25 PM
camp fodder...

steelreserve
06-15-2015, 01:36 PM
It's just another case of the Steelers thinking it's cute and smart to change a player's position. We already have a FB in Johnson. What is the point of this? If they guy led his div. and team record for tackles for a loss, put him at LB for God's sake. When Jimmy Johnson was asked about Zach Thomas' lack of height, he said, "We didn't draft him to change lightbulbs."

Height can help, in knocking down passes, but it's not that important in playing LB; speed, instincts, tackling, pass rushing, coverage skills are all more critical.

Moving him to FB is just a waste of everyone's time. But they sure are proving how cute and smart they are.

Yeah, pretty much my thoughts. Unless there's a real reason for it, this just sounds dumb.

What is it with Kent State, by the way? It seems like their whole college is made up of short people with a lot of speed who aren't very well suited for the NFL, but for some reason we're fascinated with them.

Steeldude
06-15-2015, 01:39 PM

I think Harrison is closer to 5' 10" than 6'. I agree, it's stupid for people to think an inch or two can keep someone from succeeding in he NFL.

I would try him at OLB. He couldn't be slower than Harrison. Harrison entered the NFL at 245lbs. I would rather see him trying out at LB. He can take Jarvis Jones' spot : ) Haha

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2015, 01:55 PM
What is it with Kent State, by the way? It seems like their whole college is made up of short people with a lot of speed who aren't very well suited for the NFL

yeah, Jack Lambert and James Harrison really sucked...

steelreserve
06-15-2015, 02:31 PM
yeah, Jack Lambert and James Harrison really sucked...

and that was how many decades ago? I'm sure all the same people are still there from when Lambert played, and they're all doing exactly the same thing.

86WARD
06-15-2015, 02:32 PM
What is the FB-info equivalent to the "camp arm?" Camp blocker?

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Yeah, pretty much my thoughts. Unless there's a real reason for it, this just sounds dumb.

What is it with Kent State, by the way? It seems like their whole college is made up of short people with a lot of speed who aren't very well suited for the NFL, but for some reason we're fascinated with them.

LOL, I think that ever since we landed that beauty, Lambert, we always take a looksie at them just in case. (But Jack wasn't short - 6-4 - but definitely lighter than you'd think a ILB should be (220).

Count Steeler
06-15-2015, 03:03 PM
What is the FB-info equivalent to the "camp arm?" Camp blocker?

Tackling dummy.

86WARD
06-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Tackling dummy.

Lol. I think we have a MAJOR problem if they are handing the ball to Nix...

Mojouw
06-15-2015, 05:45 PM
The height thing has to do with leverage. Short guys have shorter arms and have a hard time getting the angle/leverage on the blocker.

It only works for Harrison because he is so damn strong and had an amazing ability to "bend" around the corner. In his prime he was darn near parallel to the ground.

The Steelers are not the only team who was/is down on Nix as a LB. Bottom line is he simply is not a very good NFL prospect.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/the-steelers-futures-report-roosevelt-nix/

TeeTee
06-15-2015, 06:26 PM
The height thing has to do with leverage. Short guys have shorter arms and have a hard time getting the angle/leverage on the blocker.

It only works for Harrison because he is so damn strong and had an amazing ability to "bend" around the corner. In his prime he was darn near parallel to the ground.

The Steelers are not the only team who was/is down on Nix as a LB. Bottom line is he simply is not a very good NFL prospect.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/the-steelers-futures-report-roosevelt-nix/

But he might make a great NFL RB.....................:dizzy:

LLT
06-15-2015, 07:04 PM

Seeing if he fits a "niche" and being a "great" RB....are hardly the same thing.

Mojouw
06-15-2015, 07:30 PM

Not a RB, a FB. I am sure they are thinking purely as a blocking back. Dude did break a blocking sled w/ Atlanta. Then his height issues go away - easier to get lower and his speed issues won't be a concern.

Anyways, who the hell cares? Its the off season where there is more than enough roster space for everyone. Grab as many lottery tickets as you can and see if any of them hit.

hawaiiansteeler
06-15-2015, 09:36 PM
and that was how many decades ago? I'm sure all the same people are still there from when Lambert played, and they're all doing exactly the same thing.

Josh Cribbs and Julian Edelman also played their collegiate football at Kent St, and Antonio Gates played basketball there...

TeeTee
06-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Seeing if he fits a "niche" and being a "great" RB....are hardly the same thing.

There are literally 100's of college FBs to choose from. But no, try using a DE and convert to FB instead.

LLT
06-16-2015, 12:24 PM
There are literally 100's of college FBs to choose from. But no, try using a DE and convert to FB instead.

At no cost whatsoever. And "literally" there are not 100% of Fb's to choose from...some went to other teams.

They found a guy with heart and desire....which "100% of college FB's" DONT have. Youre arguing about this as if he was a first round draft pick. Who cares if they gave him a shot....what does it really matter???

TeeTee
06-16-2015, 12:35 PM
At no cost whatsoever. And "literally" there are not 100% of Fb's to choose from...some went to other teams.

They found a guy with heart and desire....which "100% of college FB's" DONT have. Youre arguing about this as if he was a first round draft pick. Who cares if they gave him a shot....what does it really matter???

It doesn't matter much at all, but you'd like to "give a shot" to players who "have a shot." This kid doesn't have one.

tube517
12-28-2015, 03:13 PM

fansince'76
12-28-2015, 03:26 PM
It doesn't matter much at all, but you'd like to "give a shot" to players who "have a shot." This kid doesn't have one.

:rolleyes:

Steelman
12-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Funny, Nix ended up being one of our best ST'ers. :lol:

tube517
12-28-2015, 04:06 PM

Yep. He did.

But, in a Strawman's world, that is merely a hippo fart and would cause one to fold. :cool: :chuckle:

Count Steeler
12-28-2015, 04:11 PM
His season is over. Placed on IR with a broken toe.

fansince'76
12-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Well, considering he didn't know the difference between a RB and FB...

ALLD
12-28-2015, 04:48 PM
He was good and proved his detractors wrong.

SteelerFanInStl
12-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Yep, and a very good FB too. The kid showed a lot of promise this season.

Steeldude
12-29-2015, 07:09 AM
I was hoping they would try him at OLB.

hawaiiansteeler
12-29-2015, 03:55 PM

Linebacker L.J. Fort, who has been on the team's practice squad all season, has been promoted to the 53-man roster to replace Nix.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-sign-lb-l-j-fort-off-practice-squad/