PDA

View Full Version : The over-under in wins for Pgh is 8.5

TeeTee
06-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Not too far off. But I would take the over. The D will be improved and the O is loaded. Even with that tough schedule, I see them winning 10.

fansince'76
06-12-2015, 05:26 PM
If I'm going to be off, might as well be WAY off - I'll take the over at 13 games.

86WARD
06-12-2015, 05:30 PM
I'll take the over at 9.

86WARD
06-12-2015, 05:30 PM
If I'm going to be off, might as well be WAY off - I'll take the over at 13 games.

Running yer mouth!

GBMelBlount
06-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Running yer mouth!

LOL.

12-4.

polamalubeast
06-12-2015, 05:53 PM
I would not be surprised to see the Steelers start the season 4-0,even if Bell is out for three games.

The Patriots are without Brady, the 49ers are far from being the same team from 2011 to 2013, the rams have not QB and the Ravens, it is a big challenge, but this is at home on a Thursday night, where the teams on the road are often disadvantaged

Godfather
06-12-2015, 06:25 PM
I can see the logic behind that O/U. We lost a lot on defense and we play in a tough division.

SteelerFanInStl
06-13-2015, 08:25 AM
I would not be surprised to see the Steelers start the season 4-0,even if Bell is out for three games.

The Patriots are without Brady, the 49ers are far from being the same team from 2011 to 2013, the rams have not QB and the Ravens, it is a big challenge, but this is at home on a Thursday night, where the teams on the road are often disadvantaged

You're wrong on that point. They have Foles. Don't be surprised if he plays better than Bradford ever did for the Rams. I think that we'll win that game but it's not going to be a cake walk.

If we come out of the first 4 games 3-1, I'll be happy.

polamalubeast
06-13-2015, 08:44 AM
You're wrong on that point. They have Foles. Don't be surprised if he plays better than Bradford ever did for the Rams. I think that we'll win that game but it's not going to be a cake walk.

If we come out of the first 4 games 3-1, I'll be happy.

same for me.

For Foles, I have no confidence in him, but we'll see....I can be wrong too

Steeldude
06-13-2015, 08:55 AM
I will go with 8-8.

Too many "ifs" on defense.

GBMelBlount
06-13-2015, 09:24 AM
I will go with 8-8.

Really?

What positions do you see us possibly getting worse at?

Steeldude
06-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Really?

What positions do you see us possibly getting worse at?

Not worse, but not better. Question marks at CB, LB and safety.

GBMelBlount
06-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Not worse, but not better. Question marks at CB, LB and safety.

I agree with you.

But I do think there are several positions we will improve at due to our younger players gaining another year of experience; plus the mini me ball hawks we drafted. ;)

TeeTee
06-13-2015, 01:05 PM
I will go with 8-8.

I like the chances of the "ifs" being better than the "knowns" of last year.

I feel we will have "addition through subtraction." The team will play better D without all of LeBeau and Polamalu's antics. Mitchell will be better without having to juggle the Troy zaniness. Whoever plays where Ike did will be an improvement. Harrison will be game shape week 1, not the case last year. Tuitt and McClenon will be better. Shazier will be better. Jones might be. The biggest factor is LeBeau being gone. That freshens everything up. No more man love, no more hero worship - just time to go to work and get better.

Steeldude
06-13-2015, 01:13 PM

I feel we will have "addition through subtraction." The team will play better D without all of LeBeau and Polamalu's antics. Mitchell will be better without having to juggle the Troy zaniness. Whoever plays where Ike did will be an improvement. Harrison will be game shape week 1, not the case last year. Tuitt and McClenon will be better. Shazier will be better. Jones might be. The biggest factor is LeBeau being gone. That freshens everything up. No more man love, no more hero worship - just time to go to work and get better.

My opinion on the 8-8 also has to do with the difficulty in the Steelers' schedule.

I like the promise of what could be also, but I will wait : )

TeeTee
06-13-2015, 01:32 PM

I think it's more likely we go 2-2 to start. No Bell for 3 games. Even without Brady, Belichick will have that team ready. I don't like that he has all these months to prepare for Pgh. in their house, prime time, coming off Super Bowl win. I don't like it. But we kill SF week 2. Lose in AZ (that team is better than many realize. Even with an inconsistent Foles that D is going to be on Ben's ass all day. Fisher has that team on the rise. Without Bell, they will unleash the hounds on pass rush. Then I see us bouncing back vs. the Ravens. 2-2. Then lose to SD, beat AZ at home, lose at KC (they are tough at home), beat Cinci, Oak, Browns, lose at Seat., beat Indy, Cinci again, upset win in Denver (Manning's arm will be weak), lose at Balt., beat Cleveland again. 10-6.

hawaiiansteeler
06-13-2015, 01:53 PM
My opinion on the 8-8 also has to do with the difficulty in the Steelers' schedule.

I agree, this is a very difficult schedule we'll be facing this season...

GBMelBlount
06-13-2015, 01:58 PM

I feel we will have "addition through subtraction."

The team will play better D without all of LeBeau and Polamalu's antics.

Mitchell will be better without having to juggle the Troy zaniness.

Whoever plays where Ike did will be an improvement. Harrison will be game shape week 1, not the case last year.

Tuitt and McClenon will be better. Shazier will be better. Jones might be.

The biggest factor is LeBeau being gone. That freshens everything up. No more man love, no more hero worship - just time to go to work and get better.

Good post.

However with so many changes I do think it may take a while for defense to click.

TeeTee
06-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Good post.

However with so many changes I do think it may take a while for defense to click.

Probably will take some time to click, sure. But even in that state, will it really be worse than last year? I don't think it will. We will be young and making mistakes, but I also see them making more splash plays at the same time. I feel we will create more turnovers, and they are huge.

hawaiiansteeler
06-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib -

11-5 if Ben stays healthy. 6-10 if he doesn't.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

Steeldude
08-30-2015, 05:26 AM
*Bumped*

I noticed a some threads with the theme of how well the Steelers will do this coming year. It looks like people are changing their mind as pre-season reaches an end.

86WARD
08-30-2015, 06:18 AM
I've shaved one or two games off the win column after seeing how horrific the defense has been in preseason.

ALLD
08-30-2015, 07:39 AM
I will go with 8-8.

And it might be a crawl back to 8-8, especially if they go on one of those patented Tomlin losing streaks with press conferences full of colloquialisms and allegories.

Rotorhead
08-30-2015, 08:54 AM
I'm just hoping the defense puts it together in the first quarter of the season, at this point I am missing last years Lebeau and Troy!

zulater
08-30-2015, 12:36 PM
11-5

hawaiiansteeler
08-30-2015, 01:00 PM
And it might be a crawl back to 8-8, especially if they go on one of those patented Tomlin losing streaks with press conferences full of colloquialisms and allegories.

"the arrow is not pointing up right now, if you will. I don't live in my fears, I live in my hopes and I'll wear that like a badge of honor. the standard is the standard, it's important we get back on that side of the ledger. the proof is in the pudding, we will chew on that, however tough the meat is."

Steeldude
08-30-2015, 01:05 PM
"the arrow is not pointing up right now, if you will. I don't live in my fears, I live in my hopes and I'll wear that like a badge of honor. the standard is the standard, it's important we get back on that side of the ledger. the proof is in the pudding, we will chew on that, however tough the meat is."

You forgot to pepper your post with "um's".

Cyphon25
08-30-2015, 01:05 PM
8.5 does seem just about exact. I could see 8-8 or 9-7. Barring offensive line catastrophic injuries I think we end up with a top 3 offense in the NFL. Just too many weapons not to be. Losing Pouncey hurts but Wallace is at least solid and a known commodity. The real potential is going to lie with Wheaton and Bryant. You essentially have to double AB and if you do that these guys are good enough to take advantage of 1 on 1's and soft zones. I could see Wheaton having a really nice year, if quietly.

The obvious worry is the defense. I can see them actually being worse than last year. Shemarko is completely unproven and while one could argue Mitchell can do better without worrying about Troy improvising he still has to adjust to playing with Shemarko and staying healthy. He has already been injured twice again this preseason. I do think the D Line will be improved with Tuitt taking a nice leap.

LB's I can see being roughly the same. Harrison is going to play over Jones and Moats is roughly the same as Worilds IMO. Won't get anything amazing out of him but he should be a solid starter.

CB's might show a little improvement over last year. Gay is going to be a good starter again and Cortez has potential if the confidence stays up. Backups are solid as well. Key is really going to be the safety play though.

Then looking at ST's it is bound to be worse. Suisham gone, now another kicker down, return game still looks weak in all areas and coverage units have been gashed a few times as well.

steelreserve
08-30-2015, 01:31 PM
When I saw this I immediately bet on the over, and right then is when everyone started getting injured and suspended.

tube517
08-30-2015, 02:12 PM

This post should be here: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/3444-Tomlin-isms

My record prediction is 9-7

hawaiiansteeler
08-30-2015, 02:36 PM
You forgot to pepper your post with "um's".

um, obviously...

j-d-s
08-31-2015, 12:32 AM
We usually play down or up to our competition. And since we got the toughest schedule of 'em all, i go with the over. If we get Pouncey back in Week 11, i could see us win out. Not because of defense, but by hangig up 50 points and more on the opponent.

86WARD
08-31-2015, 05:30 AM
The defense is just showing nothing out there...nothing. No signs of progress, no signs of life...other than Shazier...

steel striker
09-01-2015, 11:07 AM
11-5 the defense worries me.

zulater
09-02-2015, 10:06 AM
I think the defense will straighten up to a large extent if a couple things happen.

1. Timmons returns from the turf toe injury at full strength early in the season. He's the rock in the middle. Needed for leadership and skill. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers are overly concerned about the long term effects of his current injury. But at the same token I haven't seen anything to completely dismiss it either. We all know turf toe ended Lambert's career, and more recently Timmons draft class mate Patrick Willis. So if it's a serious case of turf toe we could be in major trouble here.

To a lesser extent we also need a healthy Tuitt. And of course we have to hope the Steelers don't stubbornly keep Jarvis Jones the line up over James Harrison unless he actually earns it.

2. Pull the plug on Shararko. He makes everyone on the field worse. Has no ability to cove and an even worse grasp on any known defensive scheme the Steelers have attempted t deploy this preseason. From what I can see outside of special teams this guy has no value. There was a reason LeBeau wouldn't put this guy on the field last year. The Steelers can't waste games trying to justify already wasted draft picks.

teegre
09-02-2015, 10:23 AM
I'll take the over... way over.

BigNastyDefense
09-02-2015, 11:49 AM
I'll go with the over just because I believe in this offense, and the league is an offensive league.

I think the defense will straighten out once the season starts and starters are actually playing instead of a bunch of backups mixed in. Hopefully the coaches see that Shamarko isn't a starting or even immediate backup in this league and put Allen in across from Mitchell...and then draft a S next season. Hell, I would be okay with playing rookie CB Doran Grant at S in a pinch over Shamarko.

I say the Steelers win at least 10 games this season.

86WARD
09-02-2015, 04:29 PM
The way Goodell runs the league...it is very offensive.

Cyphon25
09-02-2015, 05:54 PM
1. Timmons returns from the turf toe injury at full strength early in the season. He's the rock in the middle. Needed for leadership and skill. I haven't seen anything to indicate the Steelers are overly concerned about the long term effects of his current injury. But at the same token I haven't seen anything to completely dismiss it either. We all know turf toe ended Lambert's career, and more recently Timmons draft class mate Patrick Willis. So if it's a serious case of turf toe we could be in major trouble here.

I disagree. MLB is basically our strongest defensive position. The issue right now is that even Timmons backup (Vince Williams) has been out as well. So I think you are right in that we have a hole there due to injury but if Timmons had to go we are still pretty solid there if not quite as good.

zulater
09-02-2015, 07:46 PM
I disagree. MLB is basically our strongest defensive position. The issue right now is that even Timmons backup (Vince Williams) has been out as well. So I think you are right in that we have a hole there due to injury but if Timmons had to go we are still pretty solid there if not quite as good.

You make a good point. But I still think Timmons has value that can't just be measured by tackles, pressures, and good reads and drops into coverage. He's one of the leaders of that defense. Including making last second defensive adjustments on the field. His would be a huge loss if it's for a good portion of the season. Though that's one of the rare area's we have some quality depth.

hawaiiansteeler
09-02-2015, 07:51 PM
The way Goodell runs the league...it is very offensive.

the way our defense is playing right now...it is very offensive.