PDA

View Full Version : Too much talk

TeeTee
06-11-2015, 02:56 PM
I know many of you will feel this is nitpicking, put I don't like all the braggadocios talk coming out of the team's collective mouths. You never hear the Patriots run their mouth this much and it's directly due to their head coach. Tomlin doesn't seem to care to control or limit these things. I just don't like what I am hearing. This team only seems to play well when they are counted out. They wait until then to get focused. You can't do that. All this talk of "best ever" concerns me. Now, a virtual draft bust (Gilbert) comes out today and says the O line might be the best in the NFL. Really? You JUST got to the point of not being THE WORST and now you are running your mouth that you might be the best?

Don't like it.

It's fine to be confident, but don't run your mouth.

Ben, Brown, Bell and now Gilbert need to take their mouth off blast.

Don't forget: This team is infamous for laying an egg when good things are predicted. Most all of our best seasons come when the media thinks we will stink.

And conversely, this team underachieves when they are being touted heading into the season.

A wise head coach would know this and manage it. If this continues, the beginning of the season might be painful.

fansince'76
06-11-2015, 04:30 PM
You never hear the Patriots run their mouth this much and it's directly due to their head coach.

Yeah, all they do is cheat (and then lie through their teeth about it), commit murder and file false police reports...

polamalubeast
06-11-2015, 04:32 PM
I know many of you will feel this is nitpicking, put I don't like all the braggadocios talk coming out of the team's collective mouths. You never hear the Patriots run their mouth this much and it's directly due to their head coach. Tomlin doesn't seem to care to control or limit these things. I just don't like what I am hearing. This team only seems to play well when they are counted out. They wait until then to get focused. You can't do that. All this talk of "best ever" concerns me. Now, a virtual draft bust (Gilbert) comes out today and says the O line might be the best in the NFL. Really? You JUST got to the point of not being THE WORST and now you are running your mouth that you might be the best?

Don't like it.

It's fine to be confident, but don't run your mouth.

Ben, Brown, Bell and now Gilbert need to take their mouth off blast.

Don't forget: This team is infamous for laying an egg when good things are predicted. Most all of our best seasons come when the media thinks we will stink.

And conversely, this team underachieves when they are being touted heading into the season.

A wise head coach would know this and manage it. If this continues, the beginning of the season might be painful.

We can say that for each team

fansince'76
06-11-2015, 04:39 PM
And how is Ben proclaiming his current supporting cast as the best he's ever had bragging? It's the truth. This IS the best offensive talent he's had around him in his career and it isn't even close. He's NEVER had a weapon like Bell. Ever. And Brown IS the best WR in the league, I don't give a damn that he's not 6'5".

hawaiiansteeler
06-11-2015, 04:40 PM
Yeah, all they do is cheat (and then lie through their teeth about it), commit murder and file false police reports...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CExgc3AUEAAHSXA.jpg:large

fansince'76
06-11-2015, 04:45 PM
And one more thing - who exactly is predicting good things for the Steelers? Due to the bear of a schedule and the giant question marks all over the defense, it seems that most people think we'll be lucky to go 9-7, including Steelers fans.

I don't define this as an overconfident team. And it speaks louder than anything the players have said:

Organized team activities are voluntary — at least that is what's said when a player doesn't show up for one of the offseason sessions.

For the Steelers, they don't have to worry about that. Everyone has shown up every day.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8524096-74/otas-steelers-player#axzz3cYq1Oy00 (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8524096-74/otas-steelers-player#axzz3cYq1Oy00)

hawaiiansteeler
06-11-2015, 04:50 PM
http://quotes.lifehack.org/media/quotes/quote-Muhammad-Ali-its-not-bragging-if-you-can-back-104890.png

Count Steeler
06-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Can't believe that some people still hold the Cheatriots as a standard.

We don't do things like New England? Thank God!

GBMelBlount
06-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Ben plays better as an under dog.

Ben plays better under pressure.

Ben plays better with a chip on his shoulder.

Ben plays better when he is mildly gimped.

Ben plays great with a broken nose.

As Ben goes so go the Steelers.

Inspire us Ben!!!!!

TeeTee
06-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Those are all different topics. I still maintain they are smart to keep a lid on talking about how great they are, or are going to be. It's just smarter.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben plays better as an under dog.

Ben plays better under pressure.

Ben plays better with a chip on his shoulder.

Ben plays better when he is mildly gimped.

Ben plays great with a broken nose.

As Ben goes so go the Steelers.

Inspire us Ben!!!!!

All true, although having a D that isn't a sieve helps too.

I just wish the team didn't have this personality where they don't get focused until they border on being eliminated from the post season. I think Ben partly causes that but Tomlin doesn't seem to do anything to offset it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't believe that some people still hold the Cheatriots as a standard.

We don't do things like New England? Thank God!

Come on Count. They do some very wise things, or they wouldn't have made it to 6 Super Bowls since 2001 and won 4 of them. Belichick is a good coach. It just makes more sense to not talk about how great you are or are going to be. It's just not wise.

Butch
06-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Come on Count. They do some very wise things, or they wouldn't have made it to 6 Super Bowls since 2001 and won 4 of them. Belichick is a good coach. It just makes more sense to not talk about how great you are or are going to be. It's just not wise.

Yes they do some very wise things like making sure they have the commissioner in their hip pocket when they cheat. That is how they made it to all those superbowls Belicheat is a good cheating coach and so is the entire organization.

As for Ben's comments he always praises his line and talks up his offense, that's just what Ben does and it makes him a smart man to build them up.

fansince'76
06-11-2015, 08:07 PM
Those are all different topics.

No they're not. They're all part and parcel to the way they operate. No cherry-picking.

As for Ben's comments he always praises his line and talks up his offense, that's just what Ben does and it makes him a smart man to build them up.

This. Even when they sucked hind tit and he was regularly getting killed back there, he was praising his OL.

86WARD
06-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Running their mouths?

Steelman
06-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Anthony Smith hasn't guaranteed any wins, so I have no problem with any of the things I've been hearing from them. Everybody knows the Triplets are good, possibly great. The O-line was actually good last year. You saw a certain new swagger in their attitudes (THANK YOU MUNCH!!!) that had been missing for a long time. More power to Gilbert if he now believes in himself and his unit.

If anything, the team can use some extra swagger. Lord knows they'll need that confidence to help navigate a projected very tough schedule this year.

Besides, it's June. Everybody says this stuff in June.

fansince'76
06-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Besides, it's June. Everybody says this stuff in June.

Not the Patriots! They're too smart for that!

They're apparently not smart enough to avoid getting in dutch with the NFLPA, however...

Drazo85
06-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Dont like it!
Not worried!
Fuck the patriots!

GBMelBlount
06-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Dont like it!
Not worried!
Fuck the patriots!

:rofl2:

TeeTee
06-12-2015, 01:04 PM
And how is Ben proclaiming his current supporting cast as the best he's ever had bragging? It's the truth. This IS the best offensive talent he's had around him in his career and it isn't even close. He's NEVER had a weapon like Bell. Ever. And Brown IS the best WR in the league, I don't give a damn that he's not 6'5".

Fan, if it was just Ben's comments, no big deal. It is true. However, I feel the collective cocky talk of everyone is the red flag for me. And, Tomlin doesn't seem to know how to manage this area. This is looking like a team that thinks all they have to do is show up, like SO many of Tomlin's teams. I hope I am wrong.

Shoes
06-12-2015, 02:45 PM
I sure haven't seen or heard any bragging. I've heard a bunch of guys that are excited and confident about the new season and the hopes they have. As for Gilbert he just may be correct. Not many teams have a Munch coaching the Oline.

fansince'76
06-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Fan, if it was just Ben's comments, no big deal. It is true. However, I feel the collective cocky talk of everyone is the red flag for me. And, Tomlin doesn't seem to know how to manage this area. This is looking like a team that thinks all they have to do is show up, like SO many of Tomlin's teams. I hope I am wrong.

Fair enough. I think the snippet and link that I posted earlier in the thread stating that everybody showed up to OTAs indicates they're not taking anything for granted, but it is true, they have exhibited that trait in the past. However, they usually seem to take it for granted that games against lousy teams are in the bag if they just show up. Not too many weak sisters on this year's schedule. We shall see.

86WARD
06-12-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm not seeing "cocky talk." They are simply saying they think it's the best offense Ben's been in, etc. which is true. It's not like Byron Maxwell is guaranteeing a Super Bowl...in June...

TeeTee
06-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Fair enough. I think the snippet and link that I posted earlier in the thread stating that everybody showed up to OTAs indicates they're not taking anything for granted, but it is true, they have exhibited that trait in the past. However, they usually seem to take it for granted that games against lousy teams are in the bag if they just show up. Not too many weak sisters on this year's schedule. We shall see.

I have no doubt everyone is working hard. But the comments make me lean towards them starting to read and think about how great they are. Gilbert has been one of the worst RT we have ever fielded and he's running his mouth saying they are the best OL in the NFL? _HE_ is the one saying this? IDK, I am not saying this is an immense concern, just saying I'd like to hear less talk about how great they are, etc. Remember when the KC Chiefs said they were going to win every game one year? The had a losing record that year.

86WARD
06-12-2015, 05:27 PM
He didn't say they are the best...he said they should be the best with the amount of time they've had to play together...better than saying they are average or no good...

Mojouw
06-13-2015, 02:11 PM
If you pay attention to any NFL team this team of year (as much as we all do the Steelers) they are all saying the same things.

I mean, what else can anyone say? Nope, we just aren't that good. Maybe next year?

I mean there is "cocky" talk coming from the Jags, Raiders, and Browns this time of year.

hawaiiansteeler
06-13-2015, 02:27 PM
I mean there is "cocky" talk coming from the Jags, Raiders, and Browns this time of year.

yup, their rookie RB is already being compared to a Hall of Famer...

Browns see rookie Duke Johnson playing like Thurman Thomas

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 13, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt fmmgy0mtnjzgzlntk2mdk4ngqynzgwotg4ztfjztc4.jpeg?w= 250

Duke Johnson has only been in the NFL long enough to go through a few weeks of offseason work, and he’s already being compared to a Hall of Famer.

Johnson, the running back chosen by the Browns in the third round of the NFL draft, has looked so good at Organized Team Activities that Browns running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery says he looks like Bills Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas.

“The best way I can describe Duke is what Thurman Thomas was for Buffalo,” Montgomery said, via Ohio.com. “It’s going to be all over the field. It’s a ‘Where’s Waldo?’ He gives you another dimension. He creates one-on-one problems. We hope he can be a little bit like the kid, [Giovani] Bernard, in Cincinnati. If he can do that for us, that gives us a different perspective on how we approach the field and gives us a chance to move people around and taking advantage of a mismatch.”

That’s high praise for Johnson, who left the University of Miami after becoming the Hurricanes’ all-time leading rusher during his junior season. Johnson is part of a three-way running back competition with Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West, but from Montgomery’s comments it sounds like Johnson is in the lead. The Browns plan to give playing time to all three running backs, but Johnson seems like the one who will get the ball the most in Cleveland this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/13/browns-see-rookie-duke-johnson-playing-like-thurman-thomas/

TeeTee
06-13-2015, 03:10 PM
yup, their rookie RB is already being compared to a Hall of Famer...

Browns see rookie Duke Johnson playing like Thurman Thomas

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 13, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt fmmgy0mtnjzgzlntk2mdk4ngqynzgwotg4ztfjztc4.jpeg?w= 250

Duke Johnson has only been in the NFL long enough to go through a few weeks of offseason work, and he’s already being compared to a Hall of Famer.

Johnson, the running back chosen by the Browns in the third round of the NFL draft, has looked so good at Organized Team Activities that Browns running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery says he looks like Bills Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas.

“The best way I can describe Duke is what Thurman Thomas was for Buffalo,” Montgomery said, via Ohio.com. “It’s going to be all over the field. It’s a ‘Where’s Waldo?’ He gives you another dimension. He creates one-on-one problems. We hope he can be a little bit like the kid, [Giovani] Bernard, in Cincinnati. If he can do that for us, that gives us a different perspective on how we approach the field and gives us a chance to move people around and taking advantage of a mismatch.”

That’s high praise for Johnson, who left the University of Miami after becoming the Hurricanes’ all-time leading rusher during his junior season. Johnson is part of a three-way running back competition with Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West, but from Montgomery’s comments it sounds like Johnson is in the lead. The Browns plan to give playing time to all three running backs, but Johnson seems like the one who will get the ball the most in Cleveland this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/13/browns-see-rookie-duke-johnson-playing-like-thurman-thomas/

All-time leading rusher at Canes? I didn't know he was that good. Browns are deep at RB. I thought West and Crowell showed promise last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28giB9m7Cs