PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' backup quarterback rarely gets to play -- and likes it that way

stillers4me
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Say hello to the Steelers’ Maytag repair man, Bruce Gradkowski. Always at the ready, but never gets the call.

In the process, he has set franchise history. There never has been a two-year stretch by the Steelers in which no backup quarterback has thrown a pass in a regular season game.

“Hey, my job is to be ready when called on so it’s actually a blessing that I haven’t played much in the past two years,’’ said Gradkowski.

He is this era’s Charlie Batch, a Pittsburgh native who started elsewhere in the NFL and then came home to “retire” playing behind Ben Roethlisberger. At least Batch got to play some. He actually helped the Steelers start rolling toward their most recent Super Bowl when they went 3-1 during Roethlisberger’s suspension to open the 2010 season.

But in Gradkowski’s two regular seasons with the Steelers, he has never thrown a pass. That changed in the playoff against Baltimore last season when he entered the game late for three snaps and completed two of three passes for 22 yards.........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2015/06/09/Steelers-backup-quarterback-rarely-gets-to-play-and-likes-it-that-way/stories/201506090073

Count Steeler
06-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Another stat that can be chalked up to the emergence of the O Line, especially last year, under the tutelage of Mr Mike Munchak.

Should be Steelers Coach of the Year.

And of course to the playbook of the most dreaded Coach in Steelers land, Todd Haley. Ben has been healthy because of the system change and the OLine gelling.