PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hit hard by key player departures in the off season, according to ESPN

polamalubeast
06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
ESPN came up with a handy way of figuring out the impact of offseason personnel loss with their NFL Offseason Turnover by Snaps analysis. Instead of just counting the number of players who left, which is a pretty basic calculation any four-year-old with fingers could do, ESPN took a look at the players' contribution to the team in terms of offensive and defensive snaps played by players who departed. The Steelers had a net loss of 3,517 snaps, well over the average league loss of 2,000 snaps. The Jets, Bears, and Raiders added the most experienced personnel, as determined by the players' snap counts in 2014. The Packers did not pick up any snaps in free agency, while the Steelers picked up over 200.

While this metric isn't a perfect indicator of a team's performance for the upcoming season, it does identify struggles teams might face due to loss of veteran talent. The most notable departures from the Black and Gold were Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel, and Jason Worilds. All were strong players, and all-- with the exception of Worilds, whom we probably would have lost in free agency-- were at a point in their careers where retirement made sense.

read more

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/6/8/8747629/steelers-hit-hard-by-key-player-departures-in-the-off-season

Mojouw
06-08-2015, 04:21 PM
So, the metric doesn't account for the fact that the players slated to replace the departed players are most likely better? I mean the Steelers lost a ton of leadership, savvy, and grit -- but not a wealth of talent.

Other than Polamalu, I don't think anyone else on the list had another strong season in them. I realize that Polamalu was no longer what he was in his prime, but he could have played one more year as a league average SS.

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 04:25 PM
So, the metric doesn't account for the fact that the players slated to replace the departed players are most likely better? I mean the Steelers lost a ton of leadership, savvy, and grit -- but not a wealth of talent.

Other than Polamalu, I don't think anyone else on the list had another strong season in them. I realize that Polamalu was no longer what he was in his prime, but he could have played one more year as a league average SS.

Naaawwww, the way TP was being used, he actually HURT us more than he helped us. Him not coming back is a positive. Ike was terrible. Worilds simply average. I would have him come back at league min., but that is it. I'd rather have a 37-year-old Harrison back than him.

Devilsdancefloor
06-08-2015, 04:33 PM
i am still holding out they sign da beard.

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 04:34 PM

IDK, at this point, he could be taking up playing time from players still developing, like Tuitt and Heyward.

Devilsdancefloor
06-08-2015, 04:43 PM
IDK, at this point, he could be taking up playing time from players still developing, like Tuitt and Heyward.

i was hoping more as a role player and leadership. and then let cam have the reins of leadership of that group

ALLD
06-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Time to move on. None of those players mentioned were reliable whether they were stacking injuries or just not good anymore. A big bank account and loss of youth has a way of tricking the mind thinking they can still play.

I saw Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard embarrass themselves trying to hang on much like Polamalu and Taylor. Although he still had the skills, Beard's body was betraying him like Aaron Smith's. Just too worn out. Worilds was always more hat than cattle and one of Tomlin's super picks that played about average.

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Time to move on. None of those players mentioned were reliable whether they were stacking injuries or just not good anymore. A big bank account and loss of youth has a way of tricking the mind thinking they can still play.

I saw Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard embarrass themselves trying to hang on much like Polamalu and Taylor. Although he still had the skills, Beard's body was betraying him like Aaron Smith's. Just too worn out. Worilds was always more hat than cattle and one of Tomlin's super picks that played about average.

I don't think Sugar Ray hung on as long as Ali. True, Sugar lost his 2 last fights, but he was competitive. He stayed around a tad too long but not as bad as many others. his 2nd match vs. Hearns was a war and entertaining.

tube517
06-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't think Sugar Ray hung on as long as Ali. True, Sugar lost his 2 last fights, but he was competitive. He stayed around a tad too long but not as bad as many others. his 2nd match vs. Hearns was a war and entertaining.

Sugar Ray tried to come back at age 40 vs Hector Camacho (in 1997 almost 6 years after his last fight). He embarrassed himself in the last fight. Truly a sad display like Ali vs Trevor Berbick. Camacho himself had seen his best days behind him by the time of the fight vs Sugar Ray in 97

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 06:24 PM
Sugar Ray tried to come back at age 40 vs Hector Camacho (in 1997 almost 6 years after his last fight). He embarrassed himself in the last fight. Truly a sad display like Ali vs Trevor Berbick. Camacho himself had seen his best days behind him by the time of the fight vs Sugar Ray in 97

Correct on all accounts. I never saw the Camacho fight so it must have really been bad, because, at the time, I watched every relatively meaningful fight there was. The same thing that makes these guys great (drive and competitiveness) make them think they "still got it" when they do not.

fansince'76
06-08-2015, 06:33 PM
If the departed players sucked (Worilds) or flat-out couldn't cut the mustard anymore (Troy, Ike), I fail to see how the "snap count" metric matters. But, since the draft and OTAs are over and TC is over a month away, I guess they need filler...

fansince'76
06-08-2015, 06:41 PM

Not to mention the robbery of Hagler in '87. Sugar Ray should have retired after that one out of embarrassment if nothing else...

st33lersguy
06-08-2015, 07:01 PM
Good thing we have been replenishing with young players waiting in the wings. I like a lot of the young guys we have

Mojouw
06-08-2015, 07:38 PM
If the departed players sucked (Worilds) or flat-out couldn't cut the mustard anymore (Troy, Ike), I fail to see how the "snap count" metric matters. But, since the draft and OTAs are over and TC is over a month away, I guess they need filler...

Pretty much.

KeiselPower99
06-08-2015, 08:31 PM

Me too. I feel playing him 10-15 snaps a game very limited wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not sure he could play this year due to his injury though.

hawaiiansteeler
06-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Me too. I feel playing him 10-15 snaps a game very limited wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm absolutely shocked that you would want Brett Keisel back...:wink02:

Moose
06-08-2015, 11:20 PM
Talking heads make me laugh. They know completely nothing at this stage of the season. Football sports isn't worth watching until training begins. Go cut grass, work in yard, hammer some type of alcohol, bask in the sun, etc.,etc..

Psycho Ward 86
06-09-2015, 01:51 AM
Me too. I feel playing him 10-15 snaps a game very limited wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm not sure he could play this year due to his injury though.

at this point do we really though? cameron heyward and stephon tuitt are locks to make the roster. john mitchell really likes clifton geathers and had him lose 50lb. so it looks like both the player and the coach are going all in on this one. The steelers usually keep what, 6 defensive linemen for the 53 man roster? And we know we're going to have steve mclendon and daniel mccullers, with mclendon having the position versatility.

And if we keep anymore Dline than that, we also have Chickillo and Walton who everywhere I look have been praised as great picks. Even if they were late rounders and not all that likely to make it.

If Keisel can play at least as well as last season AND if we feel like we can successfully stash away Chickillo and Walton on the practice squad (with our luck, what a joke), I might be on board with getting Keisel back for one last hurrah.

At least we can all agree that Cam Thomas can go fuck himself for good this time around.

ALLD
06-09-2015, 06:48 AM
Sugar Ray Leonard was so slow in his last fight you could paint his picture on canvas in real time. The look on his face was shocking during the first few rounds and he admitted so much.

Keisel is done, stick a fork in him. With a low snap count it would be more difficult to get traction and keep your head in the game. Besides, we already have Harrison on a snap count.

Say goodbye to diseased dick.

steelreserve
06-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Losing those players actually helped us. Taylor sucked, Worilds sucked and cost us $9M, and while I agree Polamalu probably could've been an OK safety, the only way we were going to use him was in the wildcard role and he just didn't have what it took for that anymore, so that harmed us too.

When defensive linemen start getting torn triceps, they're reaching the end of the line. Maybe they can play one more season and have the same thing happen again halfway through. Happened to Aaron Smith for us, happened to another great one, Justin Smith, this season. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do. The guy is what, 37 years old?

Mojouw
06-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Losing those players actually helped us. Taylor sucked, Worilds sucked and cost us $9M, and while I agree Polamalu probably could've been an OK safety, the only way we were going to use him was in the wildcard role and he just didn't have what it took for that anymore, so that harmed us too.

When defensive linemen start getting torn triceps, they're reaching the end of the line. Maybe they can play one more season and have the same thing happen again halfway through. Happened to Aaron Smith for us, happened to another great one, Justin Smith, this season. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do. The guy is what, 37 years old?

Exactly. Performance aside, keeping any of the players talked about in the thread would hold up getting their replacements on the field. I really hope that the first and biggest change with Butler is getting 1-3rd year players ready to play and play a lot on defense.

Tuitt, Walton, Geathers, Golson, Dupree, etc should all be upgrades over the players they are projected to replace. Safety is really the largest unknown - at this point. Once the pads come on, who know? All these guys could stink!

GBMelBlount
06-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Exactly. Performance aside, keeping any of the players talked about in the thread would hold up getting their replacements on the field. I really hope that the first and biggest change with Butler is getting 1-3rd year players ready to play and play a lot on defense.

Tuitt, Walton, Geathers, Golson, Dupree, etc should all be upgrades over the players they are projected to replace. Safety is really the largest unknown - at this point. Once the pads come on, who know? All these guys could stink!

I think any way you slice it this D can only get better.

Every replacement is likely an upgrade and every young returning starter has another year of experience.

Rotorhead
06-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Well if we are keeping Cam Thomas, I say we bring back the Beard instead . . . other than that it was probably time for him to retire.