PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen Arguably Most Critical Piece On Steelers’ Defense

polamalubeast
06-06-2015, 11:03 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/06/cortez-allen-arguably-most-critical-piece-on-steelers-defense/

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 02:27 PM
If Allen is the biggest factor to hinge on our D's success we might consider just skipping this season. He might be a pleasant surprise but he was just horrid last season; he lost his confidence and was never the same again, and I don't expect him to be. My guess is the rookie will be better season 1.

SteelerFanInStl
06-08-2015, 04:50 PM
If Allen is the biggest factor to hinge on our D's success we might consider just skipping this season. He might be a pleasant surprise but he was just horrid last season; he lost his confidence and was never the same again, and I don't expect him to be. My guess is the rookie will be better season 1.

I agree. I think that he was the most critical piece LAST YEAR and he failed miserably. This year, he's not being counted on nearly as much.

ALLD
06-08-2015, 04:56 PM
A little hyperbole from the author. If we are counting on him to be a #1 CB, then we will be watching the playoffs at home. If there is some kind of miracle, then I will eat my hat and he should receive comeback player of the year award. If not for the contract he should have been cut like a diseased limb.

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 05:11 PM
I agree. I think that he was the most critical piece LAST YEAR and he failed miserably. This year, he's not being counted on nearly as much.

Yea, whenever the math works out (not creaming our cap) he better realize his butt is getting cut, unless he really turns it around.

TeeTee
06-08-2015, 05:18 PM
A little hyperbole from the author. If we are counting on him to be a #1 CB, then we will be watching the playoffs at home. If there is some kind of miracle, then I will eat my hat and he should receive comeback player of the year award. If not for the contract he should have been cut like a diseased limb.

We didn't draft 3 DBs for nuttin. I hope one day we look back at this draft and say it was one of our best.

fansince'76
06-09-2015, 02:57 AM
I'm giving the guy one more season before I completely write him off, personally...

"Size, speed, quickness, toughness -- that's what Mel had," quarterback Terry Hanratty said. "If you gave Blount free rein to hit you, you were in trouble because, if he missed, he had the speed to catch up. A lot of receivers got short arms when they were in Mel's territory."

Success, however, did not come immediately for Blount. He started his rookie campaign on the kickoff return team, with which he averaged 29.7 yards on 18 returns, the third best mark in Pittsburgh annals. When John Rowser was injured in the fifth game in 1970, Mel was forced into the regular line-up for the rest of the year.

He was a semi-regular again in 1971 but his play left much to be desired. Miami's Paul Warfield burned him on touchdown receptions of 12, 86 and 60 yards in a 24-21 Dolphins' victory. Many other receivers were having similar success against Blount. Impatient Steelers fans gave him a hard time and even Mel admitted: "Yeah, I thought about quitting. I thought a whole lot about it."

http://profootballresearchers.com/archives/Website_Files/Coffin_Corner/11-02-366.pdf
(http://profootballresearchers.com/archives/Website_Files/Coffin_Corner/11-02-366.pdf)
Besides, with this offense this team will be a serious contender if the defense as a whole can manage to raise its level of play to just average (top 13-16). Unlike say, 2008, this team really doesn't need a top-5 defense to mask serious deficiencies on offense (namely, a putrid OL).