PDA

View Full Version : Why Gardner or Murphy Will Make 53

The Renegade
06-03-2015, 03:56 PM
I really think Pittsburgh's keeping one of these guys on the roster this year, and here's why.

1. Pittsburgh has a history of utilizing college QB-turned-WR better than any other team in the league. From Slash Stewart to Randle El and even to Hines Ward, I think it's about time Pittsburgh brings in again a dual-threat guy who could throw the football if need be (trick plays, reverses, wildcat, etc.) It's been a few years, and I think 2015 is the year we see this type of player back in Pittsburgh.

2. I always thought having only two QBs on the active roster on gameday was both logical and risky at the same time. Odds are you won't need 3 QBs and the third quarterback is often a wasted roster spot. However, there have been cases where two QBs have gone down in the same game. Wouldn't it be more convenient to have only two QBs on the gameday roster, but also to give a roster spot to a player like Gardner or Murphy who could be utilized on Special Teams, as a wideout, and as an emergency QB? I don't know of any other players that could play QB if Big Ben and Gradkowski ever went down.

vader29
06-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Heath Miller would be the current emergency QB, but yeah I'd rather see them keep one of those players as QB/Receiver and dump Landry Jones.

steelreserve
06-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Heath Miller would be the current emergency QB, but yeah I'd rather see them keep one of those players as QB/Receiver and dump Landry Jones.

Yup. We never have a third QB active, so why bother wasting the roster spot?

If we ever got into a real bind, even a street free agent with one week's experience should be expected to do about as well as Landry Jones. So would a 40-year old Charlie Batch, provided he didn't injure himself while sleeping the night before the game.

86WARD
06-03-2015, 04:50 PM

This...I'd go so far as rather seeing them keep a roster spot open and dump Landry Jones.

hawaiiansteeler
07-03-2015, 02:04 AM
Question: I recently saw video posted of Devin Gardner playing WR at OTAs. Who has better chance of making roster between he and Tyler Murphy?

Answer: First, you most likely saw that footage of Gardner playing WR at OTAs right here on BTSC...you're welcome, secondly this is a tough decision. There is no guarantee either player will make the roster, and speculation continues to ensue how one of these two versatile players could replace Landry Jones' spot on the team's 53-man roster.

As a WR, Gardner is the man who seemingly is more impressive. He has the body build and athleticism to make the transition to the receiver position, but Murphy has the edge in terms of playing the quarterback position. If I were to put money down, I'd have Gardner beating out Murphy, as well as taking Jones' spot on the 53-man roster as a third string quarterback. After all, if the Steelers find themselves needing their third string quarterback, things are pretty bad anyways.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/7/2/8886671/steelers-mailbag-why-mike-mitchell-will-take-the-biggest-step-forward

86WARD
07-03-2015, 04:53 AM
I would guess if one were making it, it would be Gardner. Just based on the fact that he's more versatile then Murphy at this stage. Gardner has also been taking snaps at QB. If he was decent there, he could take the Landry Jones roster spot and be the emergency QB but be listed as a WR on the roster.

salamander
07-03-2015, 05:39 AM
I'm good with whatever scenario involves getting rid of Landry Jones.

86WARD
07-03-2015, 06:19 AM

Lol. Even just leaving the spot empty...

SteelerFanInStl
07-03-2015, 08:42 AM

Yes X 1,000,000,000