PDA

View Full Version : Cortez Allen could give Steelers defense a big lift

Count Steeler
06-03-2015, 05:29 AM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
They have the Big Three on offense, so what to call Cortez Allen, Jarvis Jones, Shamarko Thomas and Ryan Shazier on defense?
The UnFab Four? The Expectant Quartet?
Opinions are all over the place on those four young players, many of them rash, impatient observations from those who do not take into account injuries and/or the learning curve in the NFL. Similar comments were heard when Troy Polamalu did not start a game as a rookie in 2003.
Like Polamalu, perhaps Shazier will blossom in his second pro season. Like Greg Lloyd, Jones could overcome his early injuries to become a dominant right outside linebacker. And like Keenan Lewis, Shamarko Thomas might just be a late bloomer.
The Steelers certainly could use big seasons from those three and would love to make it four-for-four, which would go a long way to rebuilding the kind of defense it had for much of the 21st century.
What of Cortez Allen?

read more http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/06/03/Cortez-Allen-could-give-Steelers-defense-a-big-lift/stories/201506030095

86WARD
06-03-2015, 07:48 AM
The Unfab Four...unfortunately, it has a nice ring to it...lol.

tube517
06-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Is it September yet? :yawn:

steelreserve
06-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Question marks ... gotta love it. Three guys who have been injured more often than not, and one with a case of the heebie jeebies. Who knows if any of it's permanent? Roll the dice! clackity-clackity-clack ...

Side note: Can anyone remember a season in which our first-round draft pick did NOT suffer a severe injury? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that streak goes all the way back to like 2008. Bud Dupree: First preseason game. Sprained MCL. Slowed down for the whole season. Calling it now.

TeeTee
06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Question marks ... gotta love it. Three guys who have been injured more often than not, and one with a case of the heebie jeebies. Who knows if any of it's permanent? Roll the dice! clackity-clackity-clack ...

Side note: Can anyone remember a season in which our first-round draft pick did NOT suffer a severe injury? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think that streak goes all the way back to like 2008. Bud Dupree: First preseason game. Sprained MCL. Slowed down for the whole season. Calling it now.

Jags lost their top pick on the very first practice, for the entire season. I would like to avoid that, although, something tells me Dupree's rawness won't have him seeing the field much, unless Jones is just terrible. I think Jones will probably prove serviceable this year, although not the pro bowl player they thought they drafted.

Psycho Ward 86
06-03-2015, 01:44 PM
at cortez allen has shown full games worth of tape where he has proven he can be a REALLY good NFL cornerback. consistency is the problem. That statistic from PFF in 2013 sums up his career so far: 9 games where he allowed a QB rating of under 60, 4 games where he allowed a QB rating of over 100