PDA

View Full Version : Changed PATs look like sure things with Steelers K Suisham

stillers4me
06-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Shaun Suisham sure sounded worried.

“I only answer questions with my holder around,” Suisham said as he walked off one of the Steelers' practice fields Thursday to end Week 1 of organized team activities.

He was joking with that line. So was I with the one before it.

But the real joke is on the NFL because the PAT will continue to mark the professional game's unofficial break point for anybody who isn't actually trying to boot a football through the goalposts.

And that's because guys such as Suisham are way too good. For all of the talking points from NFL officials, GMs such as Houston's Rick Smith yapping about “adding skill to the play,” the point too easily ignored was the skill this league's kickers already display.

Extra points aren't easy. NFL kickers have made them look that way..............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8458083-74/suisham-kicker-season#ixzz3bufWaPke

Craic
06-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Was watching Rugby 7s the other day and remembered that there, wherever you touch the ball on the ground in the equivelent of the endzone, it is on that perpendicular plane that you kick the for the extra points (two in rugby). So, if you're five yards from right sideline, then you kick from five yards from the right sideline. The person kicking can choose to move as far up or down the field as they want, but you cannot move any closer. The fascinating thing about it is that if a player doesn't get the ball on the ground and instead is driven out the side or the back, there's no points awarded, as they're still considered out of bounds.

Be a fascinating twist to watch something similar in football. I think it'd make it a lot more interesting than just moving the ball back a few yards.