PDA

View Full Version : Poor Blocking Aides In Dri Archer’s Return Woes

stillers4me
05-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Defending Dri Archer may be a crime around these parts but I attempt to do it. .....

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/steelers-all-22-poor-blocking-aides-in-dri-archers-return-woes/

TeeTee
05-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Well, regardless of his lack of blocking, the guy looked plain scared to run with the ball on returns. He may not be the exception to the rule of small guys: He might just not be able to take NFL hits. Usually guys that small don't cut it, but there are exceptions. He just might not be one of them.

86WARD
05-31-2015, 02:25 PM
The poor blocking didn't influence his decisions on bringing the ball out of the end zone when he shouldn't did it? Can't say it enough...I hope this guy becomes what a third round pick should be...but from what I saw, there wasn't much to base hope on...

Chidi29
05-31-2015, 03:18 PM
The poor blocking didn't influence his decisions on bringing the ball out of the end zone when he shouldn't did it? Can't say it enough...I hope this guy becomes what a third round pick should be...but from what I saw, there wasn't much to base hope on...

Tomlin seemed generally ok by it. And in the second clip against Houston, he's one yard deep, so it's a no-brainer. We are still talking about a rookie who is learning how to judge situations. So I won't kill for him it.

To be clear, I've been very critical of him at times, too. I still don't consider him a lock to make this roster. But I don't like to sit on an extreme, like so many fans do (not saying you) and either be in the...

1. He's going to be amazing, you are all haters
2. He sucks, get rid of him now

camp. Not after one year. I'm looking at the pros/cons of his season as a whole. That's the fair way to judge it. What were the positives, what were the negatives that can be explained, and what were the negatives that are clearly his issue.

ALLD
05-31-2015, 03:26 PM
He was not able to evade tackles very well and didn't see any holes really. He also did not look very fast on the field despite what the stat sheet said about him. He might have talent at the college level, but it did not convert in the NFL.

Even if he somehow breaks out he is too small to last very long unless he runs out of bounds every carry. I don't think they really looked at him much before the draft. It also looks like they were throwing darts to select picks or picked up the ball boy's mock draft piece of paper by mistake.

86WARD
05-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Tomlin seemed generally ok by it. And in the second clip against Houston, he's one yard deep, so it's a no-brainer. We are still talking about a rookie who is learning how to judge situations. So I won't kill for him it.

To be clear, I've been very critical of him at times, too. I still don't consider him a lock to make this roster. But I don't like to sit on an extreme, like so many fans do (not saying you) and either be in the...

1. He's going to be amazing, you are all haters
2. He sucks, get rid of him now

camp. Not after one year. I'm looking at the pros/cons of his season as a whole. That's the fair way to judge it. What were the positives, what were the negatives that can be explained, and what were the negatives that are clearly his issue.

I try to do the same as well and the thing is, I didn't see many positives to build some confidence in him...if that makes sense. Hopefully things will click for him and the team will utilize his strengths. He's probably got a better chance than not to make the roster based on the position he was drafted.

Chidi29
05-31-2015, 04:01 PM
I try to do the same as well and the thing is, I didn't see many positives to build some confidence in him...if that makes sense. Hopefully things will click for him and the team will utilize his strengths. He's probably got a better chance than not to make the roster based on the position he was drafted.

You're right, very few positives. But the dude is fast, the team can be creative with him, and there are a lot of things that help explain his issues. The early-season injury, the poor blocking, the difficulty of being a rookie without a defined role. All work against you.

I am, of course, very concerned. They should turn him into a WR. No more RB. Can't run between the tackles, can't pass protect. Two things every back is supposed to do. Scrap the idea. You can still run jet sweeps with him as a WR. It'll cut down what is on his plate. We don't want him thinking. We want him playing fast.

86WARD
05-31-2015, 04:35 PM
The one highlight, the one from preseason was glorious...there was a shitload of hope and excitement with that play and then we never saw anything like it again.

Count Steeler
05-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Through no fault of his own, Archer was the wrong pick in the 3rd round last year. Period.

Coming to grips with that and plugging him into situations that he can flourish in is the job for Haley. If Haley can't make it work, don't burn another roster spot by being stubborn. Cut him loose with the other 2 guys that should not be on our 53.

1. Landry Jones
2. Cam Thomas

GBMelBlount
05-31-2015, 05:36 PM
We are still talking about a rookie who is learning how to judge situations. So I won't kill for him it.

This.

Steelman
06-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Unless he rooms with Jarvis, a full NFL offseason of workouts and conditioning and getting to know the playbook better will help him tremendously. Once he figures out that as a small guy, college talents don't translate, but smarts do, he can be the asset and weapon that coaches envisioned. If he still can't figure that out, or take an NFL hit after this season, then you consider putting him up on the chopping or trading block.

tube517
06-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Unless he rooms with Jarvis, a full NFL offseason of workouts and conditioning and getting to know the playbook better will help him tremendously. Once he figures out that as a small guy, college talents don't translate, but smarts do, he can be the asset and weapon that coaches envisioned. If he still can't figure that out, or take an NFL hit after this season, then you ship him to Arizona or Tennessee.

Fixed.

Unless he rooms with Jarvis :lol: