PDA

View Full Version : Time for second-year defensive end to step Tuitt and help Steelers defense

stillers4me
05-31-2015, 09:31 AM
It was one play during the course of a long season, but for rookie defensive end Stephon Tuitt, it represented so much more. After weeks of being unsure and frustrated at his steep learning curve in the Steelers defense, it finally clicked on a chilly Sunday afternoon at Heinz Field.

It was Week 15 against Kansas City, and a playoff berth was on the line. The Steelers were clinging to a four-point lead late in the third quarter, but the Chiefs were driving and threatening to go ahead.

It was second-and-7 on the Steelers 28, and Tuitt was aligned over the right guard. He rushed and split a double team to apply pressure on quarterback Alex Smith. Once Smith dumped the ball off in the flat to running back Jamaal Charles, Tuitt sprinted down the line in pursuit and leveled Charles, who fumbled. Linebacker Vince Williams recovered, and the Steelers marched down the field to score a touchdown for a 17-6 lead in an eventual 20-12 victory.

The play was a turning point in the game that clinched a playoff berth for the Steelers, but it also represented a turning point for Tuitt’s first season in the NFL...........
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/31/Time-for-second-year-defensive-end-to-step-Tuitt-and-help-Steelers-defense/stories/201505310107
read more @

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Defensive end Stephon Tuitt took most of his rookie year to get comfortable enough to play a full complement of snaps. But he did manage to start the Steelers' final five games last year, including the playoffs. This year, he looks poised to be a full-time starter from Week 1.

Tuitt said to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ray Fittipaldo, "I come out here and work my tail off for my teammates every single day. It's nice to get recognition from the coaches to believe in me and hand me the position they gave me." Tuitt is expected to start in place of Brett Keisel, whom he filled in for late last year, when Keisel was placed on injured reserve.

Line coach John Mitchell noted the development he's seen out of Tuitt, saying:

A lot of times, people don't realize last year that guy was a senior in college. You expect the mistakes he made. Those are mistakes you make senior year in college. He is playing in the NFL against guys who have been in the league [five], 10 and 15 years, and he did a good job. It took him a little while longer to pick up our scheme and understand what we are going to do, but you have to realize, he was a young man who just turned 20 years old and he would have been a senior last year at Notre Dame.

Fellow starter Cam Heyward is also optimistic about Tuitt, saying to Fittipaldo, "I expect a lot from Tuitt because he's been in certain situations that most rookies don't get to be in. ... We're [expecting] Tuitt to be ready from Game 1. He definitely has a high ceiling and we're definitely going to see how high it is."

As OTAs give way to minicamp and training camp, we'll get an even better look at how well Tuitt's development into a starter has progressed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482182-pittsburgh-steelers-ota-standouts-worth-keeping-an-eye-on-this-offseason

hawaiiansteeler
06-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

2nd year player with best chance to make a big impact this season.

Tuitt. Kid gets it. Hustles and humble ... and talented.

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib