PDA

View Full Version : Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand

stillers4me
05-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Dan McCullers didn't go on a fad diet, or take part in an intense seven-day-a-week workout regimen during the offseason.

It wasn't until McCullers returned to the Steelers' practice facility in early April for the start of offseason workouts that he realized something was different about himself and that was because of the constant barrage of comments.

“Everybody kept telling me that I looked good,” McCullers said. “I was like, ‘OK, but I don't know what I did.' ”

The Steelers didn't, either.

There was no offseason mandate by the Steelers for the 6-foot-7 nose tackle, then at 365 pounds, to lose weight. There was no targeted effort by McCullers to slim down, either.

It just happened because, as McCullers put it, for the first time in his life, “I was eating right and sweating every day.”

It took 22 years, but McCullers finally got it. No more soda, Doritos and video-game binges like in high school and college. He was a professional athlete, and to have a chance of reaching his potential it was time to take care of his body............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8457996-74/mccullers-steelers-weight#ixzz3bcxqmHw7

st33lersguy
05-30-2015, 09:43 AM
If the Steelers could turn this mammoth into a solid nose tackle, it will make our defense much better

tube517
05-30-2015, 11:00 AM
No more soda, Doritos and video-game binges

Who let Casey Hampton near this kid?

TeeTee
05-30-2015, 01:50 PM
If weighing less makes him more nimble and less clumsy, I am all for it! Sometimes he looked like he was wearing cinder blocks for shoes out there.

ALLD
05-30-2015, 03:49 PM
He can block kicks or passes at the line of scrimmage.

86WARD
05-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Da Fuq does a video game binge have to do with anything...lol.

TeeTee
05-30-2015, 04:16 PM

I assumed the video binge meant an eating binge at the same time, as well as means he is not doing any physical activity during said binge. I am guessing that's why they bring it up. Just a guess. :cool:

86WARD
05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
I assumed the video binge meant an eating binge at the same time, as well as means he is not doing any physical activity during said binge. I am guessing that's why they bring it up. Just a guess. :cool:

I could see a video game binge lead to the chips and soda...I've been in that situation...lol.

Bluecoat96
05-30-2015, 08:12 PM
I pictured this immediately when he mentioned "binge"

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/30/42c78a10ff2ab18dae29c3f5d076bd02.jpg

TeeTee
05-30-2015, 09:34 PM
I pictured this immediately when he mentioned "binge"

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/30/42c78a10ff2ab18dae29c3f5d076bd02.jpg

Dude, you're hilarious. Your avatar is genius.

Bluecoat96
05-30-2015, 10:50 PM
Dude, you're hilarious. Your avatar is genius.
Thanks! I try not to take things seriously when I'm online anywhere. I'm a sarcastic bastard both online and in real life. Lol

fansince'76
05-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks! I try not to take things seriously when I'm online anywhere. I'm a sarcastic bastard both online and in real life. Lol

And one of Jamison Hensley's best buds! :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
05-30-2015, 11:03 PM
And one of Jamison Hensley's best buds! :chuckle:
Oh yeah! He loves me. It's been a while since I received an angry email from him.

fansince'76
05-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah! He loves me. It's been a while since I received an angry email from him.

Guess you better get busy and start giving him crap again for being such a huge Ravens homer, then. :chuckle:

Steeldude
05-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Didn't McCullers wear #74 at one time?

Also, his name on the roster reads McCullers-Sanders.

Hopefully he learns how to use that wingspan effectively.

tube517
05-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Didn't McCullers wear #74 at one time?

Also, his name on the roster reads McCullers-Sanders.

Hopefully he learns how to use that wingspan effectively.

He wore #74 in last year's camp. Then, he got #92 at the start of last season, which he gave up to Deebo (for free), when Deebo came back. Now , he is #62

86WARD
05-31-2015, 08:47 AM
McCullers ate Sanders over the off season? McCullers-Sanders.

stillers4me
05-31-2015, 08:50 AM
This is true, really. :heh:

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Nose tackle Daniel McCullers, a sixth-round 2014 draft pick, has dropped weight. He's now at 350 pounds, and as he said last week to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Mark Kaboly, "Everybody kept telling me that I looked good." Now, the hope is that the slimmed-down McCullers will have an expanded role on the Steelers' defense in 2015.

McCullers appeared in nine games last year with one start, but he totaled just two tackles in 82 snaps. But this year, Kaboly writes, McCullers should see more time at nose tackle as well as along the defensive line in nickel packages. Though No. 2 on the depth chart behind Steve McLendon, McCullers could certainly eat into McLendon's playing time this year.

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons is among a number of McCullers' teammates looking forward to what he can contribute. Timmons said, "He's going to [be] fun to watch." Cornerback Antwon Blake said, "The sky is the limit for him."

McCullers said, "I feel that if I continue to work hard and do what I need to do that I will get playing time. Coach Mitch [John Mitchell] likes me as a player and thinks I can be a great one." It will be interesting to see how the Steelers use McCullers this summer and where he lines up most often.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482182-pittsburgh-steelers-ota-standouts-worth-keeping-an-eye-on-this-offseason

TXSTEELER75
06-03-2015, 09:32 AM

LOL.....Remember Tecmo Bowl?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm excited about this dude.

86WARD
06-03-2015, 09:50 AM
LOL.....Remember Tecmo Bowl?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm excited about this dude.

I do and I binge played that game...but I don't recall having time to eat...lol.

TeeTee
06-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Wait, read the headline again. How does he know anything about being fit and performing? He hasn't done anything since he lost the lbs yet.

But I will say this. I was watching "A Football Life" - the one featuring Jimmy Johnson. I had seen it before. But one of the memorable lines from JJ was, "Fatigue makes cowards of us all. If you are dead tired, you can't play at a high level,. It's simply not possible." So that may apply to McCullers and him dropping some lbs.