PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OLB James Harrison not about to give up starting spot without a fight

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Steelers OLB James Harrison not about to give up starting spot without a fight

By Dani Bostick on May 27, 2015

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zq-KY_RQFRqgrzJLWmZLQv1x-yU=/0x570:3456x2874/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46405828/usa-today-8582231.0.jpg

James Harrison started OTAs as a back up, which shouldn't be surprising given statements from the coaching staff that he would have a more limited role this season. Will that role be expanded? It sure sounds like Harrison wants it to.

James Harrison is superhuman. He can leg press over 1,000 pounds, do push-ups with 300-pound Maurkice Pouncey sitting on his back and terrify the opposing offenses with his intimidating death-stare and intensity.

James Harrison is also looking at a limited role this season, having started OTAs as a backup, taking reps with the second team. Harrison told PennLive.com, "Yeah, I'm behind Jarvis (Jones)." Of Bud Dupree he said, "To be honest with you I can't see because I'm not out there with him at the same time." Ouch. That hurt my heart.

Linebackers coach Joey Porter was clear that Harrison would not be on the field as much this upcoming season when he shared his thoughts with the Tribune-Review, saying, "He knows where he is. I told him already, the James Harrison (of before) is over. Harrison is going to be a better player for us if I keep his snap count down to 25. I'll get the best James Harrison I can out of him instead of trying to make him play like he was-- 25-60 snaps a game."

For a 37-year-old linebacker, that makes sense, but James Harrison is far from an ordinary 37-year-old player. The harsh reality of playing with the second team unit has set in for the five-time Pro-Bowler and 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, and he doesn't like it. Harrison shared his thoughts with the Tribune-Review, stating, "My objective is to start... nobody wants to come in and be a backup their whole career. So we'll play it out and see what rolls out. That's it."

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/5/27/8667449/expanded-role-for-james-harrison

86WARD
05-29-2015, 05:54 AM
Love this guy. Nothing would make me happier than to see him starting and playing at a higher level...

SteelerFanInStl
05-29-2015, 07:28 AM
He's still the best OLB that we have. I don't see him staying on the 2nd team for long.

ALLD
05-29-2015, 08:24 AM
I am hoping for some body slams and pile drivers during the regular season. Show everybody who is the baddest guy in the NFL.

Rotorhead
05-29-2015, 10:38 AM
I hope he gets beat out by someone, not because I don't like him (he is one of my favorite players) but because it means someone is playing better than him. That only can mean good things.

steelreserve
05-29-2015, 10:39 AM
If he's anything like he was last year, he'll be the full-time starter in a hurry. Age, snap counts,whatever; they're just numbers. If the guy really can still play at that level, no reason not to have him out there.

86WARD
05-29-2015, 12:26 PM
I hope he gets beat out by someone, not because I don't like him (he is one of my favorite players) but because it means someone is playing better than him. That only can mean good things.

This...100 times.

tube517
05-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Anything he contributes is gravy. I'm not expecting much from him but that drives him to be the man he is. I hope he carries that chip on his shoulder. Jarvis or no Jarvis.

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2015, 07:14 PM
wanna buy James Harrison's bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261910187282?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649