View Full Version : Sanders unfazed by move to flanker

stillers4me
08-29-2010, 02:32 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, August 29, 2010
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2010-08-28/sand-a.jpg

Too small.

Product of a pass-happy offense.

Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders heard the reasons why he wouldn't succeed in the NFL prior to the 2010 draft. "I've been an underdog my whole life," the Steelers' third-round draft pick said. "I fed off of it."

If Sanders sounds like a certain wideout who has used the perceived underdog status to drive him, the Steelers will see if he can also play like Hines Ward today in Denver..............

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_696959.html

Galax Steeler
08-29-2010, 06:23 AM
I guess we will see tonight what he has at the flanker position. Hopfully he will do very well cause I have a feeling he will take Wards position when he retires.

SMR
08-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I guess we will see tonight what he has at the flanker position. Hopfully he will do very well cause I have a feeling he will take Wards position when he retires.

I was thinking Wallace would take Ward's position for good after Psycho leaves. :huh:

SteelerSal
08-29-2010, 08:11 AM
The Steelers want him to learn both positions. They also made the switch because they have been pleasantly surprised with Sanders' blocking.

They'll get a better read on how well he can handle the grunt work that comes with playing flanker during the 8 p.m. game.

"We want to see if potentially he can block a guy the caliber of (Broncos safety) Brian Dawkins, who is going to be around or on the line of scrimmage," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "That's a daunting task for a young guy."

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sanders can do tonight, also.
As for Sanders blocking skills when he does not have the ball in his hands.....I'm sure he is learning from the best.

The Duke
08-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm sure he is learning from the best.

exactly. There should be no worries about that. For all of our receivers for that matter

Can't wait to see him tonight. Take the #3 job sanders!!

43Hitman
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Bring on the young guns.

LLT
08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Bring on the young guns.

No kidding!!!

We are set at WR for the future. Sanders should get enough playing time this year to be ready for the #2 in the near future. Hopefully Brown sees the field as a WR this year and the three young guns will keep us all happy for the forseeable future.

Psycho Ward 86
08-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I was thinking Wallace would take Ward's position for good after Psycho leaves. :huh:

Nah, he's right where he should be

Steeldude
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM

wallace is built to play SE