PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers rookie WR Sammie Coates isn't dropping the ball

LLT
05-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers rookie WR Sammie Coates isn't dropping the ball
By Jacob Klinger
pennlive.com
on May 27, 2015

PITTSBURGH -- Sammie Coates needs to sharpen up his attention to detail – pre-snap, in his routes, the proverbial little things – fellow Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Markus Wheaton said.

But so does every rookie receiver, he said. And the biggest knock on Coates, that he drops too many passes, hasn't shown up through the first two days of Steelers organized team activities (OTAs).

"I haven't seen that at all," Wheaton said. "He's been doing a great job of catching the ball."

All rookie receivers are raw, Wheaton said. There is simply more to pay attention to as a pro receiver than in the college ranks.

After Pittsburgh drafted Coates in the third round with the 87th overall pick, Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann said the Auburn standout did drop balls and that it might be a matter of losing concentration from coming in and out of the game.

On Tuesday, Coates said he's been watching Antonio Brown and the Steelers' other experienced receivers, he has to work harder as an NFL receiver but that it's hard to tell much while running around in shorts.

read more at http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/05/pittsburgh_steelers_wheaton_sammie_coate.html#inca rt_most-read_steelers_article

Craic
05-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Good to hear. I like his attitude as well, and that he seems to be paying attention to Antonio Brown. If Brown isn't careful, he'll be seen as taking Hines Ward's mantle of the hard-working, overreaching WR (already is, actually) that every WR on the team looks up to. And, taking that mantle so young is especially positive. I wish AB was more physical (like Ward), but those types of WRs are few and far in between, and you never get everything in a WR you want.

86WARD
05-28-2015, 07:34 PM
b-b-but he doesn't always catch with his hands...lol.

TeeTee
05-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Good to hear. I like his attitude as well, and that he seems to be paying attention to Antonio Brown. If Brown isn't careful, he'll be seen as taking Hines Ward's mantle of the hard-working, overreaching WR (already is, actually) that every WR on the team looks up to. And, taking that mantle so young is especially positive. I wish AB was more physical (like Ward), but those types of WRs are few and far in between, and you never get everything in a WR you want.

I have no problems with AB JUST the way he is. I liked Ward' ability and willingness to block, but he was NEVER the big play maker AB is, not even close.

GBMelBlount
05-28-2015, 08:26 PM
I have no problems with AB JUST the way he is. I liked Ward' ability and willingness to block, but he was NEVER the big play maker AB is, not even close.

If AB had the size necessary to block and hammer like Ward he wouldn't have the incredible quickness and shiftiness that has made him arguably the best receiver in the nfl.

I really miss Hines.

...and I am really fired up about Coates' potential. If he develops this offense could be crazy.