PDA

View Full Version : Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers

LLT
05-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
By Mark Kaboly
Wednesday, May 27, 2015,

When the Steelers signed Mike Mitchell to a lucrative free agent contract last year, they were expecting a playmaking, hard-hitting safety who specialized in forcing turnovers.

Ironically, that's exactly what they didn't get.

Instead, they got a lot of what they already had — a one-dimensional and plodding safety who missed tackles, couldn't create turnovers and had trouble protecting against the deep pass.

It's safe to say Mitchell's first year with the Steelers didn't go as planned, but considering what he had to endure through 17 games, it was surprising he was able to step foot on the field at all.

Mitchell suffered a pair of torn groins — one before the start of training camp — that had to be surgically repaired in the offseason.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8448675-74/mitchell-healthy-safety#ixzz3bShV2ugl
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

TeeTee
05-30-2015, 06:02 PM
I still don't buy this. No one can play on _ONE_ torn groin muscle, not to mention two. I just don't buy it.

GBMelBlount
05-30-2015, 06:21 PM
“I wasn't the only guy who played hurt,” said Mitchell, who started all 17 games and played in 96 percent of the defensive snaps, third highest on the defense last year.
Mitchell took part in his second organized team activities Wednesday and admits the groin is still sore from time to time, but that's normal.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8448675-74/mitchell-healthy-safety#ixzz3bfOpTu1j
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

So after an off season of rest his groin injury has fully healed and he only has "normal" groin soreness? :uhoh:

nice...

zulater
05-30-2015, 06:37 PM
I think Mitchell's biggest problem was that he couldn't adapt to playing with Troy. Not an easy thing, and a reason we should extra appreciate Ryan Clark's time as a Steeler. Anyway I think Mitchell might prove to be a decent signing after all now he doesn't have to try to adjust his game to Troy's gambles and free lancing. And I'm not knocking Troy. He was a great player. But not last year. And there just wasn't any chemistry between he and Mitchell,and it showed. Of course as diminished as Troy was I'm not sure anyone could have looked good playing opposite him last season? I don't think it's a coincidence that the few games Mitchell looked worth having were the games Troy missed. So yeah I think being politically correct it's nice to blame Mitchell's ineffeciency on injuries. By the way I do think they factored in somewhat.But his biggest problem was Troy. Or so I think. Guess we'll find out this year.

TeeTee
05-30-2015, 09:43 PM
I think Mitchell's biggest problem was that he couldn't adapt to playing with Troy. Not an easy thing, and a reason we should extra appreciate Ryan Clark's time as a Steeler. Anyway I think Mitchell might prove to be a decent signing after all now he doesn't have to try to adjust his game to Troy's gambles and free lancing. And I'm not knocking Troy. He was a great player. But not last year. And there just wasn't any chemistry between he and Mitchell,and it showed. Of course as diminished as Troy was I'm not sure anyone could have looked good playing opposite him last season? I don't think it's a coincidence that the few games Mitchell looked worth having were the games Troy missed. So yeah I think being politically correct it's nice to blame Mitchell's ineffeciency on injuries. By the way I do think they factored in somewhat.But his biggest problem was Troy. Or so I think. Guess we'll find out this year.

Zulater, I agree. I am not saying Mitchell was 100% healthy, but I _AM_ questioning the claim of TWO TORN groin muscles. I had ONE severe groin pull, no idea if it was "torn." And it was so excruciating, that as was going down the sidelines for a sure TD, it popped and I fell to the ground and fumbled the ball, completely involuntary. It wasn't like I chose to fall down and fumble the ball, I had no choice, it was 100% without choice. And, that lasted a long time. Just when I would start feeling better, I'd try to go upstairs and it would pop and I would have to heal all over again (not 100% regression, but it would get re-injured). In that span of X many weeks, playing was 100% not an option. There is no way he had TWO TORN groins and was out there playing. I simply don't buy it. But, regardless, we will see how he does this year, and I totally agree trying to play with an improvising Troy, who no longer could make plays, was a big obstacle; my guess is Mitchell will be better this year in more traditional set up.

hawaiiansteeler
05-30-2015, 10:01 PM
I am not saying Mitchell was 100% healthy, but I _AM_ questioning the claim of TWO TORN groin muscles. I had ONE severe groin pull, no idea if it was "torn."

Not Bill Brink: Bigger comeback, Cortez or Mitchell?

Gerry Dulac: I think it will be Allen, only because he has to come back from being benched for poor play. Mitchell didn't play great, but a lot of it wasn't his fault. And it had nothing to do with the two pulled groins to which he keeps referring. Believe me, if they were that bad, they wouldn't let him practice or even play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steeler-chat-transcript-5-28-15/stories/201505280219

zulater
05-31-2015, 06:39 AM
Zulater, I agree. I am not saying Mitchell was 100% healthy, but I _AM_ questioning the claim of TWO TORN groin muscles. I had ONE severe groin pull, no idea if it was "torn." And it was so excruciating, that as was going down the sidelines for a sure TD, it popped and I fell to the ground and fumbled the ball, completely involuntary. It wasn't like I chose to fall down and fumble the ball, I had no choice, it was 100% without choice. And, that lasted a long time. Just when I would start feeling better, I'd try to go upstairs and it would pop and I would have to heal all over again (not 100% regression, but it would get re-injured). In that span of X many weeks, playing was 100% not an option. There is no way he had TWO TORN groins and was out there playing. I simply don't buy it. But, regardless, we will see how he does this year, and I totally agree trying to play with an improvising Troy, who no longer could make plays, was a big obstacle; my guess is Mitchell will be better this year in more traditional set up.

On the "two pulled groins". Seems Mike might be a disciple of the Big Ben school of injury and illness embellishment? :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Not Bill Brink: Bigger comeback, Cortez or Mitchell?

Gerry Dulac: I think it will be Allen, only because he has to come back from being benched for poor play. Mitchell didn't play great, but a lot of it wasn't his fault. And it had nothing to do with the two pulled groins to which he keeps referring. Believe me, if they were that bad, they wouldn't let him practice or even play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steeler-chat-transcript-5-28-15/stories/201505280219

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to me as if Dulac is not so subtely suggesting what we have on this board. That being that Mitchell's biggest problem was that he didn't mesh well with Troy.

ALLD
05-31-2015, 06:42 AM
Mitchell looked good when he played with Will Allen. Everybody watched bringing Troy off the bench wreck the defense, while LeBeau kept hoping Polamalu would improve. That decision most likely cost him a job in Pittsburgh.

Now IF Cortez Allen can make a good contribution this season he should win the comeback player of the year award. We can hope, but hope is not a good strategy. Sweed never recovered either.

86WARD
05-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Mitchell looked good when he played with Will Allen. Everybody watched bringing Troy off the bench wreck the defense, while LeBeau kept hoping Polamalu would improve. That decision most likely cost him a job in Pittsburgh.

Now IF Cortez Allen can make a good contribution this season he should win the comeback player of the year award. We can hope, but hope is not a good strategy. Sweed never recovered either.

Agree and have pretty much felt the exact same as what Zu had posted above.

hawaiiansteeler
07-03-2015, 02:00 AM
Question: Which defensive player takes the biggest step forward this year?

Answer: To me, this came down to two possible players: Mike Mitchell and Cortez Allen. Both played 2014 injured, but I have more faith in Mitchell being the player who bounces back and takes a step forward next season. Not only was Mitchell injured last season, but his disappointing season was just as much about his surroundings as it was his injury. Playing alongside Troy Polamalu isn't just something you do by stepping on the field. Former safety partners Chris Hope and Ryan Clark have echoed that sentiment, and it was evident on the field in 2014.

Mitchell will now be paired with either Shamarko Thomas, Will Allen or even Gerod Holliman. All of these players are of the typical safety clothe and will allow Mitchell to know exactly where his partner is at all times. When Polamalu missed four games in 2014 with a knee injury, Mitchell's game improved tremendously with Allen at his side. Now healthy, I think Mitchell will be the defender to take the biggest step forward in 2015.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/7/2/8886671/steelers-mailbag-why-mike-mitchell-will-take-the-biggest-step-forward

salamander
07-03-2015, 05:52 PM
I have faith Mitchell can bounce back and have a decent year. He and Troy just didn't seem to be a good mesh, and with Troy gone, who knows...