PDA

View Full Version : Thomas gets first chance to replace Polamalu

hawaiiansteeler
05-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Thomas gets first chance to replace Polamalu

By F. Dale Lolley
Sports Writer

http://www.observer-reporter.com/storyimage/OR/20150526/SPORTS0403/150529592/AR/0/AR-150529592.jpg&MaxW=700&MaxH=500&MaxH=400

Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin talks to reporters on the sideline as he walks by during the Steelers’ OTA Tuesday.

PITTSBURGH – The hair flows out of the back of the helmet, though it is in dreadlocks rather than hanging loose on the shoulder pads.

Outside of that, the player lining up at strong safety for the Steelers on opening day of their OTAs Tuesday bore little resemblance to the player who held that position for more than a decade.

Third-year safety Shamarko Thomas knows he has big shoes to fill with former All-Pro Troy Polamalu’s retirement this offseason.

The Steelers hope Thomas’ athleticism and a healthy Mike Mitchell at free safety can offset that loss.

“It’s exciting to be working with Shamarko,” said Mitchell, who played with both of his groin muscles torn last season. “He’s a young, very hungry player. He pushes me every day. He’s a guy that’s super strong in the weight room. To try to work out with him is good. It’s motivating. He’s a very fast, explosive aggressive player. I think that will be good.”

It can’t be much worse. The Steelers ranked 27th against the pass last year.

to read rest of article:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20150526/SPORTS0403/150529592

ALLD
05-27-2015, 03:58 PM
They are selling Thomas as the future, but unless he can stay on the field he will quickly enter the past.

Rotorhead
05-27-2015, 05:18 PM
I read another article on him also, he is one of the first to show up and the last to leave. He said he learned from Troy he needs to do extra, more than what is expected all the time when preparing. He said he wasn't going to be like Troy was on the field, "nobody could do that" so at least he has a real expectation. Anyone who thinks there is anyone out there who could replace Troy is just setting themselves up for disappointment. I think he is going to be fine and hopefully Mitchell plays better as well (no more acting like a fool after your only tackle of the game please). I think our def backfield will be different this year, more traditional play from the safeties and corners (please let Cortez play like we all hoped he would) and more plays being made from the LB corps.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Shamarko Thomas: ‘I Have Been Waiting Three Years For This Opportunity’

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/shamarko-thomas-i-have-been-waiting-three-years-for-this-opportunity/ …

Psycho Ward 86
05-28-2015, 12:27 PM
good for thomas for learning everything from troy. but like troy, i think he could use some advice from a guy like bettis about staying healthy. which troy also did.

hawaiiansteeler
06-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Safety Shamarko Thomas will be one of the Steelers' most scrutinized players this summer, given that he's the man tapped to replace the retired Troy Polamalu. But Thomas, who played only two defensive snaps last year, is up for the challenge.

Last week, via the Associated Press' Dale Grdnic, Thomas said, "I'm definitely sorry that Troy's gone, and I can't replace him. He's a Hall of Famer. I'm not worried about the job right now. I'm just out here trying to compete and trying to get involved with my team and just working hard."

Thomas has been working out with Polamalu and said, "That was a great experience for me, and I kept up doing the explosive stuff, plyometrics, all the things to keep me explosive, coming out of my breaks and turning my head, mostly all the things needed to take care of my mind and my body. I text Troy every other day. He keeps my mind right mentally and physically."

Veteran safety Will Allen is confident that Thomas will have a good year, saying, "Shamarko's going to be all right. He just has to keep working hard and stay healthy." Thomas has had a number of injuries, including a pair to his hamstrings last year. In order for Thomas to have a good 2015, he will have to remain healthy and on the field. So far, he's feeling good, but it will be something to watch this summer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2482182-pittsburgh-steelers-ota-standouts-worth-keeping-an-eye-on-this-offseason

Lady Steel
06-02-2015, 12:18 AM
No one can ever replace Troy. Never.

TeeTee
06-02-2015, 01:40 PM
No one can ever replace Troy. Never.

The Troy in his peak? Not anytime soon. The Troy of the last 2 years? Not only will they replace him, but it will likely be an upgrade, hence his forced retirement.

Lady Steel
06-02-2015, 11:34 PM
The Troy in his peak? Not anytime soon. The Troy of the last 2 years? Not only will they replace him, but it will likely be an upgrade, hence his forced retirement.

Of course I meant Troy at his peak. :rolleyes3: And I'm not just talking about Troy as a football player, but as the man that he is, so I repeat... No one can ever replace Troy. Never.

hawaiiansteeler
06-02-2015, 11:45 PM
Of course I meant Troy at his peak. :rolleyes3: And I'm not just talking about Troy as a football player, but as the man that he is, so I repeat... No one can ever replace Troy. Never.

I couldn't possibly agree more, he'll never be replaced in my eyes...

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.fgmhWmT60ADc4wBOgnOuAQ&pid=15.1&P=0

86WARD
06-03-2015, 07:50 AM
I agree. He was a special player. You can never "replace" a guy like that.

TeeTee
06-03-2015, 03:16 PM

No argument here. I would like to focus on the Troy in his prime, and the amazing moments he brought us. Too many to even remember. As you say, not only was he a phenom on the field, he was just a great person off it. So humble, so thoughtful so caring.

hawaiiansteeler
07-14-2015, 06:17 PM
Steelers fans should be excited about Shamarko Thomas

By Neal Coolong July 13, 2015

There was a time when the Steelers’ roster was stocked with more depth than the Kenai River is stocked with salmon. General manager Kevin Colbert as well as head coaches Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher needed only to cast a line, wait a bit and pull out the next prized player.

Then there was the Drought of 2008-09. Whereas James Harrison once replaced Joey Porter who replaced Jason Gildon, now only Bruce Davis and Chris Carter were cast from the river.

The Steelers used to retain cornerbacks, but eventually, they had to orchestrate a trade to bring back Bryant McFadden after Joe Burnett failed, and they had to sign William Gay to replace Keenan Lewis, who left via free agency.

Fans used to love the replacement more than the departer. Fans love the cheaper option, who automatically gains the reputation of a hard-working, passionate guy who loves the game more than the player leaving for a bigger payday. We were fine with James Farrior coming in, because Earl Holmes wanted too much money. So long, Chris Hope, Anthony Davis and Ryan Clark are both more than capable of replacing you at less cost.

Perhaps the bitterness of the Steelers losing that mojo, or the fact it seems to have transferred over to AFC North division rival Baltimore, or to the hated New England Patriots, or the powerhouse Green Bay Packers.

Fans have other reasons to doubt third-year safety Shamarko Thomas as he prepares to handle the Hurculean task of replacing Troy Polamalu. He’ll be the first Week 1 starting strong safety not wearing No. 43 since 2004 when the Steelers bang helmets with the Patriots Sept. 10.

Lost in a few injuries, as well as the curious decision by the Steelers to not play him on defense at all in 2014, is the potential for a game-changing player on defense. A throwback to the days where replacements came off assembly lines and a great defense remained great because of the reloading, not rebuilding, capabilities of the Steelers.

Thomas was among the best safeties in terms of athleticism in the 2013 Draft, in which the Steelers traded a 2014 third-round pick with the Cleveland Browns to acquire him. That athleticism is what made Polamalu special, but the lack of it is what contributed to a sagging defense last season. A shot of pure speed and re-direction ability will only help the Steelers’ defense this season.

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/07/13/steelers-safety-shamarko-thomas-starting-strong-safety-troy-polamalu-2015/

TD's & Beer
07-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I want to believe - but have to see it on the field

unless some miracle happens in camp, this is our starting secondary

Shamarko
Mitchell
Gay
Cortez Allen

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/PIT#

Iron Steeler
07-14-2015, 07:18 PM
How about that front 7 though ? I hoping that our pass rush is so viscous that they give the secondary some gift wrapped interceptions. Say what you will about the "new nfl" it all starts up front on both sides of the ball.

Hoping for a little more man to man and bump and run this year on 3rd downs. I could tell you who was open from my barstool last year.

steelerdude15
07-14-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm excited to see what Shamarko can do. I think he's going to be a good safety. He hits hard, he has great closing speed, and takes great angles to get to a runner.

hawaiiansteeler
07-19-2015, 07:54 PM
SAFETY -- This is a big camp for Mike Mitchell, as he attempts to delete last year's injury-plagued disaster from everyone's memory banks. Shamarko Thomas will open as Troy Polamalu's replacement at strong safety, with Will Allen likely backing up both positions, and Ross "Rusty" Ventrone and Robert Golden close to being roster locks due to their skills on special teams. That leaves little room for Alden Darby, an interesting prospect who played in four preseason games last year as a rookie with the Chargers. Seventh-round draft pick Gerod Holliman flashed those great hands in the spring, but, because he received so few reps, my guess is he's locked into a spot on the practice squad as a "redshirt."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story ... -the-brink

86WARD
07-23-2015, 06:07 AM
How about that front 7 though ? I hoping that our pass rush is so viscous that they give the secondary some gift wrapped interceptions. Say what you will about the "new nfl" it all starts up front on both sides of the ball.

Hoping for a little more man to man and bump and run this year on 3rd downs. I could tell you who was open from my barstool last year.

What makes you think the front 7 is going to be that good?

Rotorhead
07-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Well 5-6 of the 7 will be good. We are stocked at ILB, Tuitt and Heyward will be tips in the league, that is 5 solid. JH will be fine if needed more, so really the big ?'s are NT and OLB. I think JJ will prove out good, hope Dupree will bookend him, want McCullers to push McClendon (even though I think McClendon will be fine). I think our front 7 will do very well.