PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won't be shy about going for 2

stillers4me
05-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Practice is all about routine, at least with the Steelers.

So it came as no surprise that, during the team phase of the offseason's first organized team activities Tuesday, the offense huddled near the 20-yard line — that's what it always does.

Coach Mike Tomlin, however, had other ideas.

The Steelers, coming off their best offensive season in franchise history, gathered as a full unit for the first time in more than five months, and their first drill was practicing 2-point conversions.........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/8441011-74/roethlisberger-brady-steelers#ixzz3bHxpmz7u

Psycho Ward 86
05-26-2015, 08:03 PM
im not sure i like the sound of that. tomlin just makes odd coaching decisions sometimes.

i remember his 1st year as our coach in the playoffs against the jaguars, we were on the verge of one of the best playoff comebacks of all time but tomlin felt the need to go for 2 when there was plenty of time left for no apparent reason at all. We failed that conversion, then had to end up going for 2 again, just to recuperate the extra points we didnt get from the previous score...and failed again.

While there were a lot of deciding factors like Ben getting sacked 6 times and turning the ball over 4 times, if we had done something so sensible in those situations, we would have had a tie game at 31-31 by the end of regulation.

Oh well, we won the superbowl the next season anyways

86WARD
05-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Why give up a pretty much guaranteed point to take a 50/50 shot at 2? It's really not that different from before..

GBMelBlount
05-26-2015, 08:11 PM
How about we practice getting it in the end zone.

fansince'76
05-26-2015, 08:23 PM
im not sure i like the sound of that. tomlin just makes odd coaching decisions sometimes.

i remember his 1st year as our coach in the playoffs against the jaguars, we were on the verge of one of the best playoff comebacks of all time but tomlin felt the need to go for 2 when there was plenty of time left for no apparent reason at all. We failed that conversion, then had to end up going for 2 again, just to recuperate the extra points we didnt get from the previous score...and failed again.

Been saying it for years - that wasn't really a bad decision at all when you take everything into account. And there was a reason for it - the Steelers had just pulled to within five and a two-point conversion at that juncture of the game puts the Steelers behind by only a FG (28-25 instead of 28-24). After being behind by 18 going into the 4th quarter of that game, they were after every point they could get.

Tomlin only gets flak for it because it failed on the second attempt at it. And if Mahan hadn't gotten called for holding, it would have been good on the first attempt.

On that note, it would be interesting to go back and account for just how many times one of those shitty O-linemen we had back then cost us points with a stupid penalty.

Oh, and speaking of shitty O-linemen (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008010501/2007/POST18/jaguars@steelers#tab=recap&analyze=playbyplay)...

The Jaguars defensive line overpowered Pittsburgh's front five, sacking Roethlisberger six times and helping to contain the Steelers to 43 rushing yards.

So, considering the typically "stellar" OL play by the Steelers in that game which was pretty much a hallmark of the team during that season and for a number of seasons afterward, it was anything but a sure thing the Steelers were going to score another TD after that, or even score again at all, so trying to pull within 3 with the two-point conversion attempt was the correct move at the time.

Steelman
05-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Been saying it for years - that wasn't really a bad decision at all when you take everything into account. And there was a reason for it - the Steelers had just pulled to within five and a two-point conversion at that juncture ... :tomlinism:

:chuckle: Sorry just had to.

tube517
05-27-2015, 10:57 AM
:tomlinism:

:chuckle: Sorry just had to.

Beat me to it.

st33lersguy
05-27-2015, 11:04 AM

While there were a lot of deciding factors like Ben getting sacked 6 times and turning the ball over 4 times, if we had done something so sensible in those situations, we would have had a tie game at 31-31 by the end of regulation.

Oh well, we won the superbowl the next season anyways

It was 28-23 when they went for the first 2-pt conversion. If they make it, it's a field goal difference. Then the 2nd time it was 29-28, extra point means field goal takes the lead, 2-pt successful means field goal ties. I never got the criticism of this, seemed perfectly logical then and it still does now

ALLD
05-27-2015, 01:59 PM
Please, no more drop kicks by Ben even if we are up by 30 points.

TeeTee
05-27-2015, 03:43 PM
I put no weight into anything Tomlin says, or virtually what he does. He "coaches with his gut" which is code for often not knowing what logic dictates.

I don't see that changing anytime soon. Winning cures all. Win another ring and you can keep making "wicky whacky" decisions. (For 10 points, who used that reference to whom?)

NCSteeler
05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
You mean like all the years we opened OTAs with lots of no huddle reps, to never see it again during the season. Oh yeah this is the year we go no huddle, just swap no huddle for 2 point conversion

tube517
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
Wake me up when it's September.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2015, 12:18 PM
I put no weight into anything Tomlin says, or virtually what he does. He "coaches with his gut" which is code for often not knowing what logic dictates.

Tomlin: "I don't live in my fears, at that juncture we were obviously looking for a definitive splash play. you know we as coaches know that we are going to be judged by those calculated decisions that you make, but I think if you die, you die with your boots on.”

Psycho Ward 86
05-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Been saying it for years - that wasn't really a bad decision at all when you take everything into account. And there was a reason for it - the Steelers had just pulled to within five and a two-point conversion at that juncture of the game puts the Steelers behind by only a FG (28-25 instead of 28-24). After being behind by 18 going into the 4th quarter of that game, they were after every point they could get.

Tomlin only gets flak for it because it failed on the second attempt at it. And if Mahan hadn't gotten called for holding, it would have been good on the first attempt.

On that note, it would be interesting to go back and account for just how many times one of those shitty O-linemen we had back then cost us points with a stupid penalty.

Oh, and speaking of shitty O-linemen (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008010501/2007/POST18/jaguars@steelers#tab=recap&analyze=playbyplay)...

So, considering the typically "stellar" OL play by the Steelers in that game which was pretty much a hallmark of the team during that season and for a number of seasons afterward, it was anything but a sure thing the Steelers were going to score another TD after that, or even score again at all, so trying to pull within 3 with the two-point conversion attempt was the correct move at the time.

hmm thats fair. it makes more sense to me now.

TeeTee
05-30-2015, 05:16 PM
As long as Tomlin keeps coaching "by his gut" and not logic we will be in fine shape.

fansince'76
05-30-2015, 05:23 PM
hmm thats fair. it makes more sense to me now.

Please don't get me wrong - I also understand the criticism as far as electing to go for the 2-point conversion again from the 12-yard line after Mahan got nailed for holding as well. But overall, I still think it was the correct move.

If Mahan didn't suck so bad, they wouldn't have had to re-try it as the initial 2-point attempt was good. That's the way I like to look at it. :chuckle:

86WARD
05-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Anyway the word "Mahan" could be banned from this site or **** out like a curse word?

stillers4me
05-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Tomlin: "I don't live in my fears, at that juncture we were obviously looking for a definitive splash play. you know we as coaches know that we are going to be judged by those calculated decisions that you make, but I think if you die, you die with your boots on.”

:lol:

Godfather
05-30-2015, 08:38 PM
I'd like us to figure out how to score in the red zone. Otherwise we'll have a lot of missed 2-point conversions.