PDA

View Full Version : Challenges for Ben after signing $99 million deal

stillers4me
05-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Coming off a career statistical year and with his best supporting cast in years, Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) has a great chance to play at the level his new contract suggests he will.

Tuesday’s OTA session marks the first time Roethlisberger takes the field in a competitive team setting since signing a five-year, $99 million deal this offseason that can vault to $108 million.

Joining Roethlisberger on the field is arguably the league’s best running back/receiver tandem in Le’Veon Bell and Antonio Brown, an offensive line stocked with successful draft picks eyeing a top 10 league rushing performance, and several young players that need developmental help from their 33-year-old quarterback.

The whispers of discord with Todd Haley have dissipated as Roethlisberger enters the fourth season with the former Chiefs head coach. Posting 4,952 yards and a 103.3 passer rating quells any concerns between quarterback and coordinator.

But make no mistake, Roethlisberger must satisfy a few areas to validate the new money..........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13899/three-challenges-for-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-after-signing-99-m-deal

tube517
05-25-2015, 01:49 PM
The whispers of discord with Todd Haley have dissipated as Roethlisberger

Nonsense, they hate each other. :coffee: :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-25-2015, 02:13 PM
But make no mistake, Roethlisberger must satisfy a few areas to validate the new money.

Improve playoff turnover numbers

Yet Russell Wilson can throw 4 INTs in a conference championship game while his supporting cast bails him out (unlike Roethlisberger''s) and people seem to think he should get $100+ million.

Roethlisberger doesn't have to "prove" shit at this point. :coffee:

Craic
05-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Yet Russell Wilson can throw 4 INTs in a conference championship game while his supporting cast bails him out (unlike Roethlisberger''s) and people seem to think he should get $100+ million.

To be fair, he was writing in strict comparison to AFCN QBs, with whom he believes Ben will be assessed. But, I noted that he said Ben won a single SB. Funny, I seem to remember him winning two.

Roethlisberger doesn't have to "prove" shit at this point.

I think he was referring more to validating his contract than proving himself. But still, his past work already validates the contract. The only thing that could invalidate Ben's contract is if he begins to decline due to age. That being said, there's two areas I like to see Ben improve on: being more consistent throughout the year, rather than having extreme ups and downs (although this also has to do with his WRs and opposing defenses, as well as gameplanning), and accuracy. Ben has never been a "hit the numbers" guy. He's a "put it within reach" guy. At this level, "Within reach" should be good enough for WRs to catch it 97 percent of the time, but if Ben improved a little in that area, I think he'd make his number 2, 3, and 4 WRs a whole tier better.

ALLD
05-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Improve playoff turnover numbers: Roethlisberger is naturally compared to Joe Flacco because of the AFC North connection, with both winning one Super Bowl and both posting 10-5 playoff records.

Does anybody proofread or do they do this intentionally?

hawaiiansteeler
05-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Improve playoff turnover numbers: Roethlisberger is naturally compared to Joe Flacco because of the AFC North connection, with both winning one Super Bowl and both posting 10-5 playoff records.

Does anybody proofread or do they do this intentionally?

Ben has twice as many Super Bowl rings as Flacco does, and that's the only statistic I care about if you want to compare them...

86WARD
05-25-2015, 05:58 PM

Roethlisberger doesn't have to "prove" shit at this point. :coffee:

This...I like Wilson and liked him before he saw the field in a Seahawks uniform, but I don't get the infatuation with him to the extent that he gets mentioned with the better QBs of this league...

Mojouw
05-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Challenges Ben faces:

1. Deciding which off shore tax haven to park his oodles of money
2. Deciding if he wants to swim in his money like Scrooge McDuck or not.
3. Determining if it is worth his time to pick up that $20 he dropped or not.
4. Deciding which of his multiple properties he would like to hang out at.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. After 11 years in the league, Ben is what he is. If he hasn't "proven" it by now, he likely never will. I love how these writers expect old dogs to learn new tricks.

Guys that are young, long on potential, and full of hype have to "prove" stuff (Wilson, Luck, Kapernick, Newton, Bortles, Tannehill, etc). Guys with multiple rings or a decade plus record of NFL experience don't have to prove shit.

TeeTee
05-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Coming off a career statistical year and with his best supporting cast in years, Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) has a great chance to play at the level his new contract suggests he will.

Tuesday’s OTA session marks the first time Roethlisberger takes the field in a competitive team setting since signing a five-year, $99 million deal this offseason that can vault to $108 million.

Joining Roethlisberger on the field is arguably the league’s best running back/receiver tandem in Le’Veon Bell and Antonio Brown, an offensive line stocked with successful draft picks eyeing a top 10 league rushing performance, and several young players that need developmental help from their 33-year-old quarterback.

The whispers of discord with Todd Haley have dissipated as Roethlisberger enters the fourth season with the former Chiefs head coach. Posting 4,952 yards and a 103.3 passer rating quells any concerns between quarterback and coordinator.

But make no mistake, Roethlisberger must satisfy a few areas to validate the new money..........

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13899/three-challenges-for-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-after-signing-99-m-deal

In all honesty, Ben doesn't have to do anything more than he has done to validate the new money. It would be nice, I hope he is striving for the things mentioned, but if this author thinks he "owes" to do more than make the post season, throw for 5,000 yards and direct the #2 offense and #2 passing game for his $, then he is high.