PDA

View Full Version : The 'wrinkles' Keith Butler brings to the Steelers defense is what's exciting

stillers4me
05-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Just think how long newly promoted Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) defensive coordinator Keith Butler has been waiting for this moment. The Steelers start their organized team activities (OTAs) Tuesday, and for the first time since behind hired by the Steelers, Butler will be leading the defense.

All those years where other NFL organizations offered him a job as defensive coordinator, or a promotion to defensive assistant. All were turned down for this. For the chance to follow legendary coodinator Dick LeBeau and to put your stamp on the defense........

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/5/24/8652409/the-wrinkles-keith-butler-brings-to-the-steelers-defense-is-whats

st33lersguy
05-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Can't wait to see them

Butch
05-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Hope he is the exception to the rule "You never want to be the man that replaces The Man". Good Luck going forward.

TeeTee
05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
What I am hoping to see:

1.) Less 7-yard cushions from CBs, especially on 3rd and short or near goal line.
2.) Some new blitzes, instead of the same old ones that every team knows is coming.
3.) A heavier emphasis on turnovers, where as Dick almost didn't care about them (See comments from Ryan Clark).
4.) More playing time for younger guys.
5.) A more simplified over all system so players can react and not have to waste time thinking.

I believe Butler will do all of the above.

86WARD
05-24-2015, 07:58 PM
How do we know the "wrinkles" are special? What if they are "worse"?

GBMelBlount
05-24-2015, 08:04 PM

We had the best defense in the nfl for a large part of LeBeau's tenure.

I think a lot of the problem on defense the past several years was personnel.

I also agree with your wrinkles comment...

http://cute-n-tiny.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/shar-pei-puppy-6-600x531.jpg

86WARD
05-24-2015, 08:10 PM
I think some of the problem was scheme, but also agree that personnel was an issue as well...if not the more pressing issue of the two. At times, I felt like LeBeau was trying to do things like he had the "All-Star" personnel out there.

GBMelBlount
05-24-2015, 10:39 PM
I think some of the problem was scheme, but also agree that personnel was an issue as well...if not the more pressing issue of the two. At times, I felt like LeBeau was trying to do things like he had the "All-Star" personnel out there.

...well, they arguably chose players that had the best knowledge of their complex defense rather than adjust the defense to fit the best players.

I am not saying that is wrong.

I would imagine that is the easier option of the two over the short term from a coaching standpoint.

October 20, 2014
Dejan Kovacevic

Rather, it’s that the Steelers continue to maddeningly prioritize knowledge of a complex system over choosing the personnel with the greatest ability to actually execute plays.

Tomlin has said a lot of eyebrow-raising stuff the past few days, but nothing perked my ear quite like this,

when asked Tuesday if he ever considers simplifying the system for newcomers like McCain or younger players:

“I think the larger thing is for them to rise up to the level of standard of expectation in terms of the detail and the energy and the physicality in which we want them to play.

It’s less about the adjustments or what we dial back or what we minimize.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/10/20/column-lebeaus-square-pegs-round-defense/

TeeTee
05-25-2015, 01:12 PM

I think it was obvious he was scheming as if Troy was still and all-star, when he clearly was not. There is no doubt that was part of the problem. The D seemed less porous when TP was out. How much that was playing a less exotic D without TP in there, I do not know. All I know was the D seemed more solid without him on the field. I am expecting a better D. I could be wrong, but that is what I am expecting. Here are some positive trends.

1.) More appropriate scheming for the players we have. I believe Butler will put more round pegs in round holes rather than trying to force things.
2.) A simplified approach, allowing for younger players to have to think less and react quicker.
3.) An upgrade in production from some younger players hitting their stride, including JJ, Shazier, Heyward, Tuitt, Shark (I know, asking for a lot).
4.) Harrison making a bigger difference bc he will come into the season totally in shape and his snaps will be limited, so when he is in on passing downs, he will be fresh.
5.) Some infusion of speed and ball hawking in the backfield, even though youth will cause some mistakes.

With this O, a D that is among the top half of the league should be good enough.

Psycho Ward 86
05-25-2015, 01:49 PM
they better be some big ass wrinkles because we cant play defense as if Deebo and Troy are in their prime anymore

fansince'76
05-25-2015, 02:18 PM

Doesn't get much worse than 27th in the league against the pass. Especially when the only reason it probably wasn't even worse is because the offense was 2nd in the league in TOP...

polamalubeast
05-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Doesn't get much worse than 27th in the league against the pass. Especially when the only reason it probably wasn't even worse is because the offense was 2nd in the league in TOP...

The steelers defense was 30th last year in DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

fansince'76
05-25-2015, 02:28 PM
The steelers defense was 30th last year in DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Not surprising. When you're getting picked apart by the likes of Mike Glennon and Zach Mettenberger, you've already got huge problems.

All due respect to LeBeau, but it was past time for a change.

I think it was obvious he was scheming as if Troy was still and all-star, when he clearly was not.

You mean like how Mitchell's play improved about 1000% when Troy was out and Allen was in there playing more of a traditional strong safety role? I agree.

Steelman
05-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Not surprising. When you're getting picked apart by the likes of Mike Glennon and Zach Mettenberger, you've already got huge problems.

All due respect to LeBeau, but it was past time for a change.

You mean like how Mitchell's play improved about 1000% when Troy was out and Allen was in there playing more of a traditional strong safety role? I agree.

This.

The secondary as a whole, and the defense in general, was playing as a unit until Troy came back. Then it was, to borrow a basketball term, back to "iso ball" with an aging star who can't keep up anymore. Losing Bell for the Ratbirds playoff game sucked, but I firmly believe it was changing up what had been working defensively that was our ultimate downfall. (In fairness, the offensive gameplan sucked too, but with Ben and AB you always have a chance)

Wrinkles are nice (I guess...lol) but we also have a lot of young guys that need to be given an opportunity to shine. If that means simplifying the defense so that more people can do less things better, I'm all for that.

Count Steeler
05-25-2015, 04:13 PM
We have the speed, time to crank up the simplicity and let these jack rabbits go. Teach them angles and how to tackle. And run baby, run.

Bluecoat96
05-26-2015, 05:38 PM
I know it's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I think Jarvis looks like he's actually bulked up some.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/26/bb7c8d3e5b0d946d35ce1e612b9c07d3.jpg

86WARD
05-26-2015, 08:12 PM
He does look a little larger...maybe it's just the two shirts and the black and white that does him good?

Steelman
05-27-2015, 09:08 AM
He does look a little larger...maybe it's just the two shirts and the black and white that does him good?

I was looking through the galleries on the Steelers website and noticed he looked bigger. Not massive gains by any means, but if he added 5-6 lbs of muscle and functional strength, that would be huge for him.

TeeTee
05-27-2015, 03:53 PM
I was looking through the galleries on the Steelers website and noticed he looked bigger. Not massive gains by any means, but if he added 5-6 lbs of muscle and functional strength, that would be huge for him.

Yea, I thought his arms looked more muscular than the past. A little more defined. Just attending Deebo's camp should do that.

hawaiiansteeler
05-28-2015, 01:33 AM
Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

The Steelers finished 25th in TFL through 2014. That must change in 2015. My brief study. #Steelers

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/steelers-rush-defense-must-improve-tfls-in-2015-2/ …

Bluecoat96
05-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Yea, I thought his arms looked more muscular than the past. A little more defined. Just attending Deebo's camp should do that.
I also read that he and the other LBs will be going back to Arizona at some point. That's awesome. Hopefully it will translate to a good bit of increased production on the field.

Steeldude
05-28-2015, 06:51 AM
They say this type of stuff each season. It's always, "Lebeau is working on some new wrinkles" or "Lebeau isn't going to reveal his secrets plays until the regular season starts."

Although this is a new DC so I suppose something new may happen, but I am not holding my breath.

86WARD
05-29-2015, 05:49 AM

Let's just hope it's not Ziggy Hood type hype... OUTER LIMIT SPORTS...FTW!!