PDA

View Full Version : 80's 49ers, or 70's Steeler's ... Who Was Better ?

SteelerEmpire
08-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Somethin' to talk about...
----------------------------------------
Article:

Question:Can Montana's 49ers of the 80s (with Young as backup) beat the steel curtain Steelers of the 70s?
I say the Steelers would not be able to stop Montana to Rice,Talor, and Jones. Roger Craig would run all over the defence and Ronnie Lott would show them the truth!

Read More... http://www.sports1234.com/football-american/550-1-football-american.html

GoSlash27
08-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm biased, but you're talking about the greatest defense in the history of the league. At their height they held their opponents to 3 points per game average and shut out almost half the teams they faced. If he's playing them under '70s rules he would lose, but the rules were different (softer) in the '80s.
JMO

Indo
08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
This question has been asked over and over...
Most of the media always answers "49ers" because of Montana's finesse game and the West Coast Offense.

But, let us not forget that the reason the West Coast Offense works is because of the Beginnings of the Pussification of Football. The whole No-Contact-After-5-Yards Rule EXISTS because of the Pittsburgh Steelers---Specifically, Mel Blount...
(has anyone noticed that most Pussification Rules have a Steelers' name attached to them?)

Sorry,
I may be a Homer, but the Steelers of the 70s would have crushed the 49ers---there is no way that Lambert, Ham, Shell, Blount and all the rest would've let that dinky-dunk shit fly.

cold-hard-steel
08-28-2010, 04:41 PM
It's already been computer simulated dude, steelers won,end of story.

BlastFurnace
08-28-2010, 04:43 PM
What NFL rules are the playing under?

cold-hard-steel
08-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Can't answer that. Considering rushing, sacks, interceptions, fumbles, i don't know. Defense ypp , oypp,they figured that the Steelers would have won. Who will ever know? I'd guess the rules at the time would be applied. I don't know. I'm a Steeler fan,of course they would have won. Any more questions?

SteelerEmpire
08-28-2010, 05:01 PM

Maybe this is the simulation your referring to ? And a description of it below ...

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51GR6ATTB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Imagine a football game played under a sky filled with a dozen blimps and attended by a current president and three former presidents. Just consider the "Star-Spangled Banner" being performed by a series of performers including Anita Bryant, Jim Nabors, Huey Lewis, and Kelsey Grammer, whose attempt at vocalizing immediately gets savaged by none other than Howard Cosell. In this fantasy "Millennium Bowl," a game made possible by some slick editing of action footage taken from the vaults of NFL Films, two teams meet to finally decide the greatest team of all time. The big game is played by the winner of two other games, one pitting the Green Bay Packers of the 1960s against the San Francisco 49ers of the 1980s, and the other featuring the Pittsburgh Steelers of the 1970s and the Dallas Cowboys of the 1990s. To avoid tipping who won those games, let's just say that the contestants in the "Millennium Bowl" take it down to the wire, and the greatest game that never really happened ends with a blockbuster of a final play. If the action between players from different decades isn't always convincing, at least it's all handled in a lighthearted manner and some anomalies are explained away jokingly. And the ESPN announcing crew of Joe Theismann and Mike Patrick lend an air of credibility to the incredible proceedings. This fairy-tale game probably won't settle any barroom discussions on which team was the best of all time. In fact, when viewed by fans who really know the history of the NFL, it will only lead the discussion in new directions. --Robert J. McNamara
From the Back Cover
The game of football has been played for over 100 years, but at the end of the millennium one question remains... Which team is the greatest of all time? Matchup of the Millennium combines the latest in computer-generated special effects with historic archival footage to create a mythical series in which four legendary dynasties battle to be the "Team of the Ages."

This mythical three-part series concludes with the Millennium Bowl--the championship game of the Matchup of the Millennium. Will the "West Coast Offense" meet the "Steel Curtain" or will "America's Team" take on Vince Lombardi's Packers? NFL Films uses its vast film archive--the world's largest sports film library--and special effects compositing to make the impossible possible... Joe Montana vs. Jack Lambert... Emmitt Smith vs. Ray Nitschke... Jerry Rice vs. Mel Blount... Paul Hornung vs. Charles Haley... Roger Craig vs. Jack Ham... Michael Irvin vs. Herb Adderley. ESPN's Joe Theisman and Mike Patrick call the game, while NFL Films President Steve Sabol provides historical insight. Plus, a broadcasting legend makes his return to the booth--Howard Cosell. 87 minutes.

http://www.amazon.ca/NFL-Matchup-Millenium-Bowl/dp/B00004W5SW

CPanther95
08-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Not even close.

cold-hard-steel
08-28-2010, 05:37 PM
We have six in the complex now so,i would put my money on our dudes!! Hands down. Defense,offense,turnovers, rushing, back in the day we had Chuck!!!! He never lost the biggest game of all!!!! Check the records. They speak for themselves ! Never.

cold-hard-steel
08-28-2010, 05:45 PM
No matter how one likes to reflect,we are still the face of the NFL. That is if you go by the number of Lombardy's, one team has collected. Anything else is just days byegone.

silver & black
08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Who cares? After the 70's, real football died.

cold-hard-steel
08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
All threads are cool. Keeps ya occupied till the real *&^^&* comes down!

SMR
08-28-2010, 07:20 PM

I remember that. I rented a dvd a few years ago pitting the 80's 49ers vs. the 70's Steelers and the Steelers won of course.

SMR
08-28-2010, 07:28 PM

Right on, brother!

http://i33.tinypic.com/1zeh5qg.png

Chidi29
08-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Probably not a question to ask Steelers or 49ers fans about.

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Haha yeah, i always roll my eyes when i see the title of threads like these.

Butch
08-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Look the same rules they are saying would help the niners would help the greatest WR tandem of all time too. Swann would have played a lot longer under the new rules and him and Stallworth would have run rough shod over everyone, and yes they niners had lott but he's only one against two huge all stars, we had both Blount and Shell and let's not forget Wagner. Who else did the niners have besides Lott? Also let's not forget that one of the things that made Lambert so valuable was his ability to cover in passing situations.

Let's also look at the competition. The Steelers of the 70's had a decent Oilers team and the browns weren't all that bad either, then they had to play the raiders and lets not forget the cryboys, pretty stiff competition for any era if you ask me. Who did the niners play? The way I see it they had no competition within their own division, only to face the bears (who pretty much fell apart after the superbowl when ryan left) and the cowpaties or the redskins other than that there wasn't a whole lotta competition. The AFC pretty much sucked back then so the 70's Steelers were more seasoned as far as competition.

I will say that if there was one thing the 70's Steelers would have had trouble with it would have been if Montana would have gotten in a rhythm. We seemed to have a tough time with Fouts but he had a hell of a stable of recievers. That would have been the only way the niners would have beaten us.

Call me a homer but if both teams are at their primes I think the Steelers would win and the only way it is close is if Montana can escape the pressure and get in a rhythm.

Bradshaw and company are the only franchise to win 4 Superbowls in 6 years and I'm sorry but Young is HIGHLY HIGHLY OVERRATED. He had one winning season big freakin deal, and the media is all gagga over him. Give me a break.

BPS3akaWirels3
08-28-2010, 10:13 PM
No matter how one likes to reflect,we are still the face of the NFL. That is if you go by the number of Lombardy's, one team has collected. Anything else is just days byegone.

I swear it looks like your sitting on the pot when you took that picture.. It's a side view and your shirtless.. :) lol Make the bad dreams go away.. please..

fansince'76
08-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Would've been a helluva game though. :thumbsup:

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I swear it looks like your sitting on the pot when you took that picture.. It's a side view and your shirtless.. :) lol Make the bad dreams go away.. please..

LOL

Chidi29
08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Would've been a helluva game though. :thumbsup:

No argument from me on that one.

cold-hard-steel
08-29-2010, 04:22 AM

Yeah,i have a toilet right at my desk in my living room. Living on the 3rd floor,90 some odd degrees,and i never use my airconditioner until before i go to bed,so yea, i had my shirt off. Any thing wrong with that? Get a grip bro.

BlastFurnace
08-29-2010, 06:38 AM

You are exactly right. 70's football was....BY FAR... the best.

st33lersguy
08-29-2010, 06:51 AM
steelers, almost everyone on their defense went to a pro bowl

HometownGal
08-29-2010, 07:19 AM

Sad, but spot on.

That being said, however, I'd have to go with the 70's Steelers as there hasn't been a defense that was off the charts great like that D since then and most often than not, defense wins football games. :tt02:

SMR
08-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Sad, but spot on.

That being said, however, I'd have to go with the 70's Steelers as there hasn't been a defense that was off the charts great like that D since then and most often than not, defense wins football games. :tt02:

That is a no-brainer. Sorry 49ers fans!

http://i33.tinypic.com/xmjtrk.png

CPanther95
08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
It would be like that cool toy on Christmas morning that you asked for months earlier. Looks fun to play with, entertaining as hell and the anticipation makes it even more promising - but the first time you play with it, it breaks.

... unfortunately, there's no amount of glue or duct tape that can put an NFL team back together.

Indo
08-29-2010, 12:47 PM
steelers, almost everyone on their defense went to a pro bowl

And almost all of them are in the HoF-----It's a travesty that Shell and L.C. aren't; they should be

HometownGal
08-29-2010, 05:19 PM
And almost all of them are in the HoF-----It's a travesty that Shell and L.C. aren't; they should be

AMEN to that Indo. :thumbsup: Tis absolute bullshit. :mad:

SMR
08-29-2010, 06:13 PM

At least, not yet...

cold-hard-steel
08-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah,i have a toilet right at my desk in my living room. Living on the 3rd floor,90 some odd degrees,and i never use my airconditioner until before i go to bed,so yea, i had my shirt off. Any thing wrong with that? Get a grip bro.

There you go Steel brother. Is that better for you? Steelers Rock , so do the phightins. Put the shirt on just for you ! It's dead straight on for ya too. Not from the side. Hope ya enjoy.

ALLD
08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
It is all about the big plays and the Steelers have a legacy of big plays winning the big games.

steelersjourney
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I Like To Add That In My Own Oppinion The Best Steelers Team Was The 1978 Squad And The Best 49ers Team Was Their 1989 Squad .Don't Get Me Wrong The 49ers Were Great No Question About That .Just Ask The Broncos After Getting Destroyed 55-10 In Super Bowl 24 .The Thing About The 49ers Were The Teams That Played Them Physical On Defense And Ran The Ball On Offense Gave Them Fits .The Giants Were That Team That Could Do Those Things .The Bengals Did Those Things In Both Super Bowls That They Lost To The 49ers But Didn't Have The Defense The Giants Had .Now The Steelers Had A Better Defense Then Both The Bengals And Giants And A Better Offense .I Think If What I Believe Is Their Two Best Teams Faced Each Other It Would Of Been A Very Close Game Like 24-17 Or 21-17 With Joe Montana Failing At A Comeback Attempt Simular To Roger Staubach In Both Steeler Cowboy Super Bowls !!

fansince'76
09-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Quite the necropost...

Craic
09-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Quite the necropost...

You're telling me . . . and I didn't even realize that it was, either. Dang.

Steeldude
09-30-2012, 02:29 AM

Very much so. With each passing decade it gets worse. I wouldn't be surprised if I gave up watching football by the year 2030

Texasteel
09-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Very much so. With each passing decade it gets worse. I wouldn't be surprised if I gave up watching football by the year 2030

There's a good chance I wouldn't be watching anything by 2030. :rip: But the Steelers will still be the better team.

tube517
09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
If the '84 Steelers with Mark Malone beat the '84 (15-1 and Super Bowl Champion) Niners, how could the 70's Steelers not beat them? :chuckle:

60_MINUTES
09-30-2012, 12:09 PM
hello....this has been covered more times then you can count...its always went 50 50 among all the experts so they plugged it into a computer..crossed all Ts and Dotted all the I...bottom line is Steelers Won... it ended the debate for many years now some 9ers fans can stand it so they starting it back up??? get over it... If I have to go into Detail for a min I will... the 9er fans all talk about their O... Well Im sorry but no one and I mean No one could run of the Steelers...Roger Craig couldnt carry some of the jock staps of the guys Steelers shut down over the years... So running Game would be nothing Period... Now if you take Rice out of the equation you have to admit 9ers would be average against us for sure...so No craig...No Rice...Steelers win easy....oh yeah how am I taking Rice out of the game...LOL.... Mel Blount...... Shit Rice would have never got off the line of scrimage guys... Really guys this is no debate at all Mel would kill the 9ers himself