PDA

View Full Version : Friday Insider: Polamalu unhappy with brass

stillers4me
05-15-2015, 05:15 AM
Roundup of a lot of randomness from a lot of time around our teams …
• Within the context of his immense stature, Troy Polamalu retired as quietly as possible. There was no press conference at the Steelers’ headquarters. There were no teary hugs or handshakes. He simply placed two phone calls, one to Dan Rooney and another to veteran reporter Jim Wexell, who landed the exclusive (http://pit.scout.com/story/1536060-steelers-great-troy-polamalu-retires) for his site Steel City Insider.

That was it. He called no one else.

One of the greatest athletes of his generation shut it down as quickly and effortlessly as if he vaulted over the Tennessee line, wrapped up the tackle and walked away............

read more @ http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/05/15/friday-insider-polamalu-unhappy-with-brass/

Bluecoat96
05-15-2015, 05:25 AM
Oh lord. The old, "sources say" line. Why do I click on these links? Of course Troy would be pissed at Tomlin, Colbert, and co. I think they knew it was time to move on and probably said as much. The question is, why didn't they move on earlier?

86WARD
05-15-2015, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this is true. They did NOTHING for Polamalu. The night he announced his retirement, nothing hit their website until around 10 the next morning. For a player like that, that's a joke.

Mojouw
05-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Big deal. In a handful of years no one will remember any of this.

tube517
05-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Offseason articles. :yawn:

ALLD
05-15-2015, 05:28 PM
They gave him an extra year last season to figure out a plan. He still thinks he has gas in the tank for one more year. That is the issue if there is one.

Godfather
05-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Troy is mad at them. When you ask someone to retire or cut them, you're saying they're washed up. There never has been, and never will be, a good way to do that.

And the great ones always believe they have something left in the tank. That competitive fire is what made them great.

Count Steeler
05-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Hope they make up for it later in the year. Maybe a Polamalu Sunday.

Bluecoat96
05-15-2015, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't be one bit surprised if this is true. They did NOTHING for Polamalu. The night he announced his retirement, nothing hit their website until around 10 the next morning. For a player like that, that's a joke.
Sorry, but I disagree. What were they supposed to do? Have their resident website nerd sitting by the computer waiting to press return the moment Troy announces his retirement? What they did was just fine. Also, isn't it kind of a running joke how crappy the Steelers website is compared to some other NFL websites? This is just speculative journalism at its finest.....kind of like the media manufacturing the Haley/Ben to be more than it was.

I'm sure Troy's a little pissed. He's a warrior, and his HC probably told him more or less that he was done, which probably wasn't easy to hear. Maybe at the time he was faced with the truth, he wasn't quite ready to hear it. I'm sure things will be just fine, even if everything isn't peachy right now.

86WARD
05-15-2015, 08:32 PM
No. But it takes little time to throw up a banner to say thank you...most other teams do it on a moments notice. I'm not saying it had to be done immediately but usually a press release is done and that could easily be put up as a "top story" in a matter of seconds.

BigNastyDefense
05-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Nobody knows how the call between Dan Rooney and Troy went.

Maybe he asked that they let Wexell break it.

In the end, it was business. And business gets messy. The Steelers are in the business of winning football games and Super Bowls. Troy Polamalu played a big part in getting to three of those and bringing home two Lombardi Trophies. But he was no longer even a serviceable player. Yeah, he could come down in run support, but he became a major liability in coverage.

He still had the instincts, but he didn't have the speed to make a play based on those instincts. Instead of being there on time, he was late.

It couldn't have felt good to hear your coach and your GM tell you that you can retire a Steeler, or keep playing but get cut. I am sure he's angry and hurt by that. But that's the business side of football. It sucks. It really does. But that's how that game is played.

TD's & Beer
05-16-2015, 10:12 AM
I heard Bradshaw is still pissed too

News at 11

Sorry Troy, it was time

Tell them snoopy reporters to back off

stillers4me
05-16-2015, 10:18 AM
I haven't seen hide nor hair of Troy on the internet since he retired. Not one word or a even a picture of him anywhere. I hope he comes out of hiding sometime soon. I don't expect him to be out there in the media like Ike or Ryan Clark or Keisel but it would be nice to hear something from him at some point. No matter how he feels about the Steelers, I hope he comes back to the fans. I understand his need for privacy, since football was not and never was his whole world but he is very much loved by Steelers fans.

katmandu
05-16-2015, 11:42 AM
I am sure he's angry and hurt by that. But that's the business side of football. It sucks. It really does. But that's how that game is played.This is the part of "the business" that I think absolutely sucks monkey balls. Yes, business is business and has absolutely no heart what-so-ever.

However, WHO spends all their hard earned cash and is totally devoted to this "business" ? Right ! YOU AND ME and all the rest of Steeler Nation.

I think it is absolutely horrible PR for "the business" as to HOW they treat players such as Troy, Ward , Potsie and all the rest of our heros. It was these heros that made "the business" BILLIONAIRES and then "the business" cuts them lose like their cutting a loaf into the toilet! At least that is how it "APPEAR" to us diehard fans!

The Rooney's are always seen as a "Class" organization that respects everybody (and the do) and everyone is treat like "family". Well, IMHO this is NOT how you treat a family member (unless of course your from my family ! LOL! ).

Perhaps it's the Retired NCO in me that sees when a member of your "family/unit/team" departs, you hold some big assed party for them CELEBRATING their contribution to YOUR organization and publically recognizing them for their sacrifices!

Yes I know, they do have special events all the time bringing back our heros and honoring them, but I'm talking about immediately after the fact when a hero leaves.

You only get one shot at this opportunity and to just let them go like a turd down the toilet is reprehensible IMHO.

Lady Steel
05-16-2015, 10:56 PM
With Coach LeBeau now gone, Troy should be invited back to recite 'Twas The Night Before Christmas. He would be the perfect candidate.

BigNastyDefense
05-17-2015, 08:19 AM
This is the part of "the business" that I think absolutely sucks monkey balls. Yes, business is business and has absolutely no heart what-so-ever.

However, WHO spends all their hard earned cash and is totally devoted to this "business" ? Right ! YOU AND ME and all the rest of Steeler Nation.

I think it is absolutely horrible PR for "the business" as to HOW they treat players such as Troy, Ward , Potsie and all the rest of our heros. It was these heros that made "the business" BILLIONAIRES and then "the business" cuts them lose like their cutting a loaf into the toilet! At least that is how it "APPEAR" to us diehard fans!

The Rooney's are always seen as a "Class" organization that respects everybody (and the do) and everyone is treat like "family". Well, IMHO this is NOT how you treat a family member (unless of course your from my family ! LOL! ).

Perhaps it's the Retired NCO in me that sees when a member of your "family/unit/team" departs, you hold some big assed party for them CELEBRATING their contribution to YOUR organization and publically recognizing them for their sacrifices!

Yes I know, they do have special events all the time bringing back our heros and honoring them, but I'm talking about immediately after the fact when a hero leaves.

You only get one shot at this opportunity and to just let them go like a turd down the toilet is reprehensible IMHO.

Remember Kat, Troy has never been the most public person. For all we know, he didn't want the hoopla around a press conference.

And also, most owners were already billionaires before they owned their teams. The players didn't make most of them billionaires. And it's not like the players walk away from this empty handed, they make millions of dollars to play a game. Something that most of them love. Most people don't get to do that, so I have a hard time feeling bad for players when they get cut.

Troy didn't have to retire. But he was told that if he didn't, he would be playing for another team. He had a choice, play a couple of forgotten years past your prime for a team that probably won't sniff the playoffs (Titans) or retire and be forever known a Steeler.

I'm sure they gave Ward and Potsie the same choices, and they chose to try to play more. Then the embarrassment came when nobody wanted to sign them, even for vet minimum. Sometimes it's the only way for a player to know that their career is done. It's sad. But you know what they say - pride goes before the fall.

katmandu
05-18-2015, 12:33 AM
With Coach LeBeau now gone, Troy should be invited back to recite 'Twas The Night Before Christmas. He would be the perfect candidate.He sure would be perfect for that !

fansince'76
05-18-2015, 12:41 AM
The Rooneys aren't billionaires. Nowhere close. That's why there's about a dozen other "co-owners" of the team besides Dan and Art II, who, between the two of them, only own a 30% stake in the team, and they went asshole deep into debt just to acquire that much.

Goodell didn't quite manage to force the Rooneys out back in 2007/2008, but he came close (http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2009/01/20090126/Opinion/Family-Drama-Has-Happy-Ending-For-NFL-And-Steelers.aspx). Old school owners like the Rooneys and Maras simply don't jibe with Goodell's corporate vision for the league, you see. It's been made abundantly clear over the years that he much prefers the Krafts and Joneses and Snyders of the world as team owners. Fucker probably popped a bottle of champagne behind closed doors in his office when Ralph Wilson passed.