PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Bud Dupree

tube517
05-14-2015, 04:34 PM
https://plus.google.com/+steelers/posts/EHGTLtgxcfu

We have signed our 1st rd draft pick, LB Bud Dupree, to a four-year deal. We've now signed 6 of our 8 draft picks.

steelreserve
05-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Every year I have to re-state how glad I am they finally did something about this. In years past we'd have all still been waiting around for the #1 overall pick to sign because OMG, you have to wait to see what he gets, then everyone else falls into line behind. I'm pretty certain the contract for the top pick would've been well over $100M by now too, comparable with any of the top QBs in the league. At least one thing the league finally got right.

ALLD
05-14-2015, 04:52 PM
That's one of the benefits of the new players contract. Top draft picks can't hold their teams hostage anymore. There is still a floor spending amount and the extra dollars go to the existing players instead of those who have never played a down in the NFL. That's how out of control things got with the league and agents.

Steeldude
05-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Every year I have to re-state how glad I am they finally did something about this. In years past we'd have all still been waiting around for the #1 overall pick to sign because OMG, you have to wait to see what he gets, then everyone else falls into line behind. I'm pretty certain the contract for the top pick would've been well over $100M by now too, comparable with any of the top QBs in the league. At least one thing the league finally got right.

In total agreement. I couldn't stand seeing these huge contracts given out for an unproven player. I have no idea why it took them so long to do this.

Winston would have been getting a contract worth $120,000,000. With the way these young people are today, with their "me-me attitudes", you know they wouldn't put forth much effort after signing such a huge contract.

ALLD
05-14-2015, 05:05 PM
In total agreement. I couldn't stand seeing these huge contracts given out for an unproven player. I have no idea why it took them so long to do this.

The timing of negotiating a new 10 year contract and the robbery of the Raiders by JaMarcus Russell.

stillers4me
05-14-2015, 05:08 PM

86WARD
05-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Love how easy the rookie deals are!!

st33lersguy
05-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Good, now time for J Peezy to get working on him and turn him into a beast

Born2Steel
05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Bud Dupree and JJ will be a wrecking crew in this league.

Steeldude
05-15-2015, 04:33 AM

I will wait and see. So far Jarvis Jones hasn't shown much promise.

86WARD
05-15-2015, 05:55 AM

I could only hope you are right on Double J.

fansince'76
05-15-2015, 06:01 AM
Love how easy the rookie deals are!!

Yep. The rookie wage scale is one of the few things the NFL has gotten right over the last 5 years. Hell, make that the last 10.

Count Steeler
05-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Yep. The rookie wage scale is one of the few things the NFL has gotten right over the last 5 years. Hell, make that the last 10.

Yeah, but imagine how much more money the owners are making. By keeping the salary cap relatively flat the last 4 years, it has forced vets off teams or lowered their pay. Rookies get paid dirt cheap, comparatively speaking, so where is all the money? 40,000,000 to Roger for 1 year, tells you. Dupree gets 10mil over 5 years. The pendulum went way too far to the owners.

The next bargaining session will be a lengthy one. I can't believe Smith is still around for the NFLPA.

tube517
05-15-2015, 06:57 PM
http://movieposters.2038.net/p/You,-Me-and-Dupree_1.jpg

fansince'76
05-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Yeah, but imagine how much more money the owners are making. By keeping the salary cap relatively flat the last 4 years, it has forced vets off teams or lowered their pay. Rookies get paid dirt cheap, comparatively speaking, so where is all the money? 40,000,000 to Roger for 1 year, tells you. Dupree gets 10mil over 5 years. The pendulum went way too far to the owners.

Players can still clean up on their 2nd contract, AFTER they've proven they're actually worth it, which is the way it should be, IMO. And this way, teams aren't left struggling for a decade (or longer) with a ton of dead money against their cap because the "can't miss" top-5 pick they gave a $100 million contract to with $60+ million guaranteed before ever playing one snap in the pros wound up being a huge bust. Do you honestly not remember just how ridiculous those rookie deals were getting? Especially when Al Davis was still alive?

The rookie pay cap was the one really good thing to come out of the last CBA, IMO. And a $5 million signing bonus like Dupree is getting is still enough on its own to put a person on easy street for life if they're not stupid.

86WARD
05-15-2015, 07:39 PM

The next bargaining session will be a lengthy one. I can't believe Smith is still around for the NFLPA.

$44.2 Million...for one year.

Count Steeler
05-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Players can still clean up on their 2nd contract, AFTER they've proven they're actually worth it, which is the way it should be, IMO. And this way, teams aren't left struggling for a decade (or longer) with a ton of dead money against their cap because the "can't miss" top-5 pick they gave a $100 million contract to with $60+ million guaranteed before ever playing one snap in the pros wound up being a huge bust. Do you honestly not remember just how ridiculous those rookie deals were getting? Especially when Al Davis was still alive?

The rookie pay cap was the one really good thing to come out of the last CBA, IMO. And a $5 million signing bonus like Dupree is getting is still enough on its own to put a person on easy street for life if they're not stupid.

In no way am I condoning a return to the insanity that was taking place. However, with a flat cap, it forces teams to cut/underpay the vets as well. Flat cap + huge revenue gains = mucho denaro for the owners.

fansince'76
05-15-2015, 08:14 PM
In no way am I condoning a return to the insanity that was taking place. However, with a flat cap, it forces teams to cut/underpay the vets as well. Flat cap + huge revenue gains = mucho denaro for the owners.

I've been bitching for almost 3 years now that the salary cap is at least $20 million under what it should be, considering the cap increases that took place between 2006 (TV contract year) and 2009. And we've had another TV contract year since then (2014), and that revenue sure didn't go down. The recent bumps in the salary cap ($10M in 2014 and this year) haven't come close to making up for the five years (2009-2013) the cap basically stayed flat, so no argument from me on that.

Bluecoat96
05-15-2015, 08:47 PM
$44.2 Million...for one year.
What blows my mind about that douchebag's salary is that he brings home over $1 million bucks every pay.....after taxes. (More than likely) Absolutely ridiculous. The POTUS makes 100x less than him a year.

86WARD
05-15-2015, 09:01 PM
It's amazing...

ALLD
05-16-2015, 07:25 AM
The commissioner makes more than any NFL player. Some players might get rich, but the owners who sign the checks are wealthy. The owners take care of their own.

hawaiiansteeler
05-21-2015, 09:55 PM
James C Wexell @jimwexell -

“@Bud_Dupree2: SteelerNation!!! ” -- Dupree in Worilds' old locker. Troy had the 2 right. Harrison just around corner.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFixpdtWAAE6fB7.jpg:large