PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben Roethlisberger in the Golden Age of his career?

polamalubeast
05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Greek philosophy describes the Golden Age of humanity as a great time of achievements and prosperity.

For Pittsburgh Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, it can be argued that he has entered the Golden Age of his illustrious career. Season after season the signal caller has endured criticism of his play style, injuries, a retooling of his offense, unfounded rumors of being traded…you name it. That all changed for him in 2014.

In his eleventh year in the NFL, Roethlisberger had, by far, the best statistical season of his career. He tied with Drew Brees for most passing yards in the league (4,952), matched his career high for touchdowns (32), and posted his best passing completion percentage (67.1) since the 2009 season (66.6)

Lets not forget when he became the first quarterback in NFL history to record two 500 yard passing games, and also the first to throw six touchdown passes in two straight games. If you wanted a perfect example of being “In The Zone”, you would be hard pressed to find one better than Big Ben.

After much waiting, the two time Super Bowl champion was awarded a contract extension that will keep him in the Steel City until after the 2019 season.

The overwhelming joy that he would be finishing his career in the city he has come to call “home” could be seen on his face and heard in his words at the press conference where the deal was announced.

read more

http://stillcurtain.com/2015/04/22/ben-roethlisberger-golden-age-career/

vrabinec
05-11-2015, 11:47 AM
No, Ben has entered into the closing window stage of his career. Ask Peyton what that feels like.

polamalubeast
05-11-2015, 11:56 AM
No, Ben has entered into the closing window stage of his career. Ask Peyton what that feels like.

I disagree

First, Peyton had 55 TD passes in 2013 and he was great last year before his injury in the last month of the season.Also, it is now a lot more easier for old QB to have success because of rules who protects a lot the QB and the WR.
Also, this is the first time that Ben has so much talent around him offensively and Ben was healthy in the last 2 years.

I am confident that if Ben stays healthy, he'll play its 5-year contract

fansince'76
05-11-2015, 11:58 AM

I'd buy that if Manning wasn't six years older than Roethlisberger.

Steelman
05-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Ben's getting better every year, hard to that's he's peaked. I don't need to read the article to know he's in his "golden age." As P-beast mentioned, there are more and more quarterbacks playing great ball in their old age. Tony Romo is a couple of years older than Ben and he's also playing the best ball of his career. The difference there, is while Dallas has a better than great O-line, they lost Murray, while we have a slightly better than good O-line, we also have Bell emerging as the hot young talent.

Bell is what will extend Ben's career and keep it going for the duration of this contract and thereafter. I could also see Ben retiring a year or two "early" with the effect getting married and having kids has had on him, especially if we somehow win another ring.

86WARD
05-11-2015, 02:11 PM
He's peaking now IMO.

tube517
05-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Mike Munchak will extend Ben's career. We need to keep him

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

vrabinec
05-11-2015, 03:25 PM
I disagree

First, Peyton had 55 TD passes in 2013 and he was great last year before his injury in the last month of the season.Also, it is now a lot more easier for old QB to have success because of rules who protects a lot the QB and the WR.
Also, this is the first time that Ben has so much talent around him offensively and Ben was healthy in the last 2 years.

I am confident that if Ben stays healthy, he'll play its 5-year contract

The window is closing. Nobody knows how long he has. Every body is different. He is as good as he has ever been, but I wouldn't put money on 5 years of 5000 passing yards and 40 TDs a year. I would guess that, based on how much pounding Ben's body has taken over his career, that the fifth year of his contract will be a "maybe he can pull it together for another year" kind of deal. I think he's got 2 or 3 years tops to carry the team, and then they'll have to carry him. This next 2-3 years will be the Steelers' best shot for a 7th title for a while IMO. Enjoy it.

Count Steeler
05-11-2015, 03:36 PM
I can see Ben having an amazing run in the next 2-3 years. Haley is in his 3rd year, Ben has clicked with Brown (3 years remaining), Bryant and Wheaton and Coates, should round out a nice stable of WRs. He has a RB that blocks and runs and gets open and his wheels should last another 3 years. He has an O Line like he has never had and they should remain solid for the next 3 years. Heath may need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

So barring an unexpected injury, I can see Ben putting up the best 3 years of his career. If we put out a half decent defense, he just may be in 2 of the next 3 SB. 4-6 year range becomes muddy at best right now.

ALLD
05-11-2015, 03:49 PM
He has the best offense of his career right now. Hopefully, the missing pieces to the puzzle came in this draft and he goes out like Elway with back-to-back SB wins.

86WARD
05-11-2015, 05:36 PM
He has the best offense of his career right now. Hopefully, the missing pieces to the puzzle came in this draft and he goes out like Elway with back-to-back SB wins.

If this happened, I'd be very happy with that...lol.

teegre
05-11-2015, 06:32 PM

Close.

BB will threepeat... and retire.

(Regardless, I like how you think.)

GBMelBlount
05-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Yes.

BigNastyDefense
05-11-2015, 08:34 PM
I think that we are going to be seeing the best of Ben Roethlisberger through his contract.

He's a tough SOB. The offensive line is probably the best it's been since his rookie year. And he had weapons like he's never had before. This is the best receiving corps that he's had in his career. The best RB he has had. Bettis was at the end of his career, Parker was good but not great. Bell can run it and catch it.

He's only going to produce and produce for us. Unless he gets a career ending injury, God forbid, he should be great for the duration of his contract.

Mojouw
05-12-2015, 11:57 AM
It is all about sparing him injury at this point. If he can keep from taking those massive shots that have caused all the nagging injuries over the years, then he should play 3-5 more high level years. If injuries continue to mount, then halve that #.

Ben is the kind of QB that when is legs go and he can no longer move around and shrug off defenders to make a play, his effectiveness will take a big hit.

Steelerschik
05-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Close.

BB will threepeat... and retire.

(Regardless, I like how you think.)

Hola Teegre my friend! You typed what I was thinking, but I think he'll doublepeat (twicepeat?). Call me a fool (do it and die), but I feel he'll have at least 2 more SBs before he retires. Ok, or maybe 1...I'll take 1, at least.

polamalubeast
05-12-2015, 04:53 PM
I will be very happy if Ben won only one more Super Bowl.Only 4 QB won at least 3 super bowl, so he would be in a very select group.

2 is already very good since 3 of the best QB of all time (Favre, Marino and Peyton) only won 0 or one super bowl, which proves it's very difficult to win

Kittyfish
05-14-2015, 10:30 AM
I agree with polamalubeast - while I would LOVE to see Ben get 4 or 5 or however many Lombardis, just one more would be good enough for me. It would pretty much guarantee his getting into the HOF, and perhaps he would get mentioned regularly as belonging among the elite quarterbacks, along with Br*dy, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers and for some ungodly reason, Andrew freaking Luck. I get Luck is a good quarterback with lots of potential, but why he gets put in with the elite group ahead of Ben, and why he is held as the standard of having a good rookie season and early start to his career over Ben, I'll never understand. An aside - do you people think Eli Manning get to the HOF with his 2 wins, and why is Jim Plunkett not in the HOF with his? I would think it's pretty hard to win 2 Super Bowls, and with two different teams, yet.

st33lersguy
05-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Ben is in his prime and is just getting better

Mexican Yinzer
05-14-2015, 03:59 PM
I think that we are going to be seeing the best of Ben Roethlisberger through his contract.

He's a tough SOB. The offensive line is probably the best it's been since his rookie year. And he had weapons like he's never had before. This is the best receiving corps that he's had in his career. The best RB he has had. Bettis was at the end of his career, Parker was good but not great. Bell can run it and catch it.

He's only going to produce and produce for us. Unless he gets a career ending injury, God forbid, he should be great for the duration of his contract.

I agree, time has make him better and his weapons are outstanding, forget about Brown we all know what a great asset he is, but for me what the great surprise was Bryant,that kid can run ! The OL is one of the best I've seen in years, Munchak has done a superb job.Bell is one of the best RB the Steelers have had since the bus (Jerome was a power runner) Bell is a talent runner agile, patient and a great catcher (he sometimes looks like a WR) And finally It seems that Haley & BB have a good communication and relation, This can only mean a unstoppable force in offense my only concern is that the defense can actually hold opponents so Ben can do its magic. Lets hope the renewal of the defense comes as good and fast as we all wish for.

ALLD
05-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Toward the end of a career what happens is the shoulders get sore and do not flex as well which affects the passing game. Nagging knee injuries and back problems hurt every morning, your body turns to hamburger from tenderloin. You also lose stamina and effectiveness deep into games.

I go to the gym regularly and will be 50 this year. I could not throw a baseball or football without hurting or tearing something.

Lady Steel
05-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Ben is in his prime and is just getting better

:yup:

Butch
05-15-2015, 12:11 AM
Who cares if he is or isn't? He's a Great QB even if nobody outside of Steeler Nation recognizes it.

Sit back and enjoy the ride while we can.

zulater
05-15-2015, 06:36 AM
I think Ben's still at or near his peak athletically. I feel baring major injury he should have at least two and up to four peak years left. All that said it's kind of a shame in a way that Ben was really never in a favorable situation to fully exploit his potential as a top tier qb until right now. By that I mean Ben has as much or more ability as just about any qb in the league, but due to circumstances he never really had the means or system to compete for a league MVP award. But as I said that's changed, and now he is in that sort of spot. In my opinion if Ben stays healthy and the major pieces of this offense do the same he should be a top 5 MVP candidate.

When you think about the offensive lines and mediocre running backs Ben had to deal with for the majority of his career it's amazing he's been as good as he has been. In my opinion prior to last season the only two times he was manned with above average offensive talent straight across the board was in his two first seasons (04-05). Since then one shitty offensive line after the next, one mediocre running game followed by the next. Manning Brady, Brees, put them on those teams, they wouldn't have survived the season.

But now that's in the past. Projecting into this season the Steelers offensively are slightly above average to exceptional at every position group. Martavis Bryant gives Ben the big playmaker wr he's longed for since Plaxico left in 04. I'm going to call it now. Ben will be first or second team All NFL at seasons end. ( got that Rodgers guy in Green Bay to contend with)

I don't know if the Steelers have the horses on defense to make any noise in the playoffs? So who knows where it goes? Which brings me to another point. I don't want this to come across as a poor Ben post. Because while to some extent it's frustrating that a great player has had to play with restrictions that kept him from realizing his full potential, it's still better to have played on a team that won consistently with defense than to go down the path of Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. Teams that over emphasized the pass to the exclusion of everything else.

So in short to answer the question of the thread. Yes. :lol:

zulater
05-15-2015, 11:56 AM
The overall offensive talent of the 2008 SB 43 champion Steelers was probably among the five worst of any Super Bowl era team ever, winner and losers inclusive. .

polamalubeast
05-15-2015, 12:02 PM
The overall offensive talent of the 2008 SB 43 champion Steelers was probably among the five worst of any Super Bowl era team ever, winner and losers inclusive. .

Even in 2005,it was not bad, but it was far from being very talented(Randel El as the second best WR)!

The steelers in the 2000s have spend their money on the defense, and it worked, but for the football fantasy, it was not ideal for Ben, but the goal was to win!

Many blamed Bruce Arians for the problems in offense, but the reality is that the Steelers were spending most of the money in defense.

Craic
05-15-2015, 12:16 PM
lolwat?

Roethlisberger: very talented QB
Santo Holmes: unbelievable talent—his problem was in his head, speaking of which. . .
Rashard Mendenhall: also a very good talent with the same problem as above
Mewelde Moore: Role player, but for his role in Pitt, he had good talent.
Willie P.: You don't come within a game of leading the NFL in rush yards without a ton of talent.
Willie Colon: penalties? Sure. But around this time and the year after, I wouldn't trade him for anyone
Heath Miller: probably the best all around TE this team has every had.
Hines Ward: nothing else to say
Nate Washington: he had his drop issues, but let us not forget he was the third receiver coming into this game. Ward's injury pushed him to 2.

No, the offense was plenty talented. We had a very bad O line outside of one position. And even with that, Max Starks was an average talent. When you have an O line that can't open running lanes and can't for your QB, what you end up with . . . is the 2008 offensive season. Of course, that offense nailed 6 fourth quarter comeback wins that year, including two against Baltimore, two in December (one of them being against Baltimore), and on in the SB. Overall talent wasn't the problem on that offense. Lack of talent on the line was the problem.

polamalubeast
05-15-2015, 12:44 PM
lolwat?

Santo Holmes: unbelievable talent—his problem was in his head, speaking of which. . .
Willie P.: You don't come within a game of leading the NFL in rush yards without a ton of talent.
Willie Colon: penalties? Sure. But around this time and the year after, I wouldn't trade him for anyone
Nate Washington: he had his drop issues, but let us not forget he was the third receiver coming into this game. Ward's injury pushed him to 2.

No, the offense was plenty talented. We had a very bad O line outside of one position. And even with that, Max Starks was an average talent. When you have an O line that can't open running lanes and can't for your QB, what you end up with . . . is the 2008 offensive season. Of course, that offense nailed 6 fourth quarter comeback wins that year, including two against Baltimore, two in December (one of them being against Baltimore), and on in the SB. Overall talent wasn't the problem on that offense. Lack of talent on the line was the problem.

The Steelers had no o-line and no running game in 2008.Mendenhall has almost not played in 2008 and Parker has never been the same RB after his injury against the Rams.

Holmes was clutch and he was great in the playoffs too.

Mojouw
05-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Ravens in 2000
Patriots in 1985
Steelers in 1995
Seahawks in 2005
Pick any one of the 1980's Elway teams. Those offenses were Elway and some dudes.

I get what is being said. The 2000's SB team was clearly dominated by a core of high value "elite" defensive players.

But a HOF QB, a HOF WR, at worst league average RB talent(s) and well above average secondary pieces (Miller and Holmes) is far more on paper talent than many teams have reached the SB with.

tube517
05-15-2015, 03:00 PM
lolwat?

Mendy in 2008 had his shoulder broken by Ray Ray in preseason. He was out the whole year on IR in 2008.

Willie Parker broke his leg the year before. His explosiveness was gone after that. Started 11 games in 2008. 3.8 ypc

If we had 2007 FWP and a healthy Mendy in 2008, we may have shown more on the offensive side that year. In the playoff game vs SD, they scored 35 and a healthy FWP had over a 100 yards.

polamalubeast
05-15-2015, 03:04 PM
Ravens in 2000
Patriots in 1985
Steelers in 1995
Seahawks in 2005
Pick any one of the 1980's Elway teams. Those offenses were Elway and some dudes.

I get what is being said. The 2000's SB team was clearly dominated by a core of high value "elite" defensive players.

But a HOF QB, a HOF WR, at worst league average RB talent(s) and well above average secondary pieces (Miller and Holmes) is far more on paper talent than many teams have reached the SB with.

The 2005 seahawks had a great o-line....

zulater
05-15-2015, 03:11 PM
The Steelers were 22nd in total offense in 08. 20th in points scored, despite a defense that put them in favorable situations more often than not.Willie Parker, a "speed guy" was their leading rusher. He averaged 3.8 yards per carry. Which is ok for a power back, but not even close to acceptable for a speed back. Their offensive line left to right was Max Starks (good guy below average left tackle) Chris Kemoeatu (at the time he was decent, call him an average left guard) Justin Hartwig (worst starting center in the Steelers last 40 years) Darnell Stapleton at right guard (worst starting right guard in the league that year) and last but certainly not least Willie (holding 15 yards) Colon. So you had Ben, two good receivers, and Heath Miller. That leaves 7 spots for mediocrity. That was a bad offense.

hawaiiansteeler
05-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Justin Hartwig (worst starting center in the Steelers last 40 years)

I would give that distinction to Sean Mahan...

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=JN.VFqYDMCxhAGOjscS11zKRw&pid=15.1

zulater
05-15-2015, 04:04 PM

True. I forget him! :doh: Self defense mechanism against painful memories no doubt. :lol:

86WARD
05-15-2015, 04:17 PM

This is the truth and it's not even close...lol.

Steelman
05-15-2015, 04:45 PM

God those are some memories that I thought I'd successfully buried. Geeze, thanks! :lol:

Hartwig, for all his flaws, was at least competitive. I'm not even sure why Sean Mahan was even in the NFL.

Mojouw
05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Sorry. Just not buying it. That o-line was terrible - not up for debate. But look at some of those other teams.

Steve Grogan? Tony Eason? Trent Dilfer? Quick name the Seahawks leading receiver? Name the first Elway SB era leading rusher?

I mean c'mon. The line was bad, the defense was otherworldy, but to cry "poor" on offense is a bit of stretch.

zulater
05-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Just looked up the 87 Broncos. They were second in total offense. 85 Patriots were 9th in total offense. Those teams had better offensive talent than the Steelers.

Craic
05-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Just looked up the 87 Broncos. They were second in total offense. 85 Patriots were 9th in total offense. Those teams had better offensive talent than the Steelers.

Ranking doesn't equate to talent. There's a ton of other things involved, including the fact that the '08 Steelers played the toughest schedule in the league. Of course, if you want to look at stats . . . the top ten defenses in the league that year after the Steelers were the Titans, Ravens, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Colts, Patriots, Dolphins, Bucs, and Falcons. That season, the Steelers played the Titans, Ravens (2x) Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Colts, Patriots. In other words, they played the top 5 defensive teams a total of 6 times, and the top ten teams a total of eight times, not including the playoffs. That's half the schedule against the top tier defenses.

Injuries also don't negate talent. It was still a very talented team, even if some of that talent had to sit due to injury. And as for Willie P. Sure, he had a 3. something year, but he exploded in the Chargers playoff game for 146 yards and a 5.4 YPC average. My point being, he was still a talented player at the time.

In fact, everything you state can be boiled down to two issues, both of which I'm already mentioned: the steelers had a brutal schedule against the top defenses in the league, and our o line sucked, which hurt the entire offense. But, even with that, we had six comeback victories that year, with the last one being in the SB itself. I wouldn't call that offense untalented in comparison to other SB offenses by any means.

zulater
05-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Having an atrocious offensive line for an offense is like putting bad tires on a race car. It really takes a lot away from what you have under the hood if your tires keep blowing on the turns.

fansince'76
05-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Ladies and gentlemen...your 2008 Steelers offensive line...

http://www.secure-lane.com/Rubber_Speed_Bump.jpg

fansince'76
05-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Hartwig, for all his flaws, was at least competitive.

I dunno...it took Pouncey all of what, 3 days of camp to not only take his job away from him but send him packing altogether?

(Yeah, the "3 days" part was an exaggeration, but not by much)

Like Craic pointed out earlier, the only saving grace of the 2008 OL was Starks and he was average on his best day.

polamalubeast
05-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Ladies and gentlemen...your 2008 Steelers offensive line...

http://www.secure-lane.com/Rubber_Speed_Bump.jpg

The game against the Eagles were probably the worst I've seen in my life for a o-line

9 sacks allowed,including 6 in 2nd quarter and only 32 yards rushing on 19 carries(and 4 of its carry, it was by Roethlisberger for avoided a sacks)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200809210phi.htm

fansince'76
05-15-2015, 06:32 PM
I mean c'mon. The line was bad, the defense was otherworldy, but to cry "poor" on offense is a bit of stretch.

The 2008 Steelers had far and away the worst OL of any Super Bowl champion. I really don't think there's much room for debate there.

Put Brady or Manning behind that line and they're on IR by week 5. Guaranteed.

Steve Grogan? Tony Eason?

John Hannah alone was probably better than the 2008 Steelers OL as a whole.

Count Steeler
05-15-2015, 06:32 PM
The game against the Eagles were probably the worst I've seen in my life for a o-line

9 sacks allowed,including 6 in 2nd quarter and only 32 yards rushing on 19 carries(and 4 of its carry, it was by Roethlisberger for avoided a sacks)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200809210phi.htm

The Steelers should have just turned around and got back on the bus. That was a horrible game.

polamalubeast
05-15-2015, 06:33 PM
The Steelers should have just turned around and got back on the bus. That was a horrible game.

Only for the offense....The defense was great in this game

Count Steeler
05-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Only for the offense....The defense was great in this game

Agreed, but I was praying Ben wouldn't get killed.

zulater
05-15-2015, 06:41 PM
The 2008 Steelers had far and away the worst OL of any Super Bowl champion. I really don't think there's much room for debate there.

The point I was trying to make. Thanks. :applaudit:

tube517
05-15-2015, 06:56 PM

:nono: Remember, that was Cowher's team. :coffee: :chuckle:

zulater
05-15-2015, 07:39 PM
:nono: Remember, that was Cowher's team. :coffee: :chuckle:

Most of Cowher's teams had above average to exceptional offensive lines. The 04-05 teams that Ben played on had very strong o-lines. Things started slipping in 06 with age - retirements and injuries, and kept getting progressively worse.

86WARD
05-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Team

Record

Points Scored

PPG

2000 Ravens

12-4

1990 Giants

13-3

1982 Redskins

8-1

2002 Buccaneers

2008 Steelers

12-4

12-4

2003 Patriots

14-2

hawaiiansteeler
05-15-2015, 09:51 PM
I dunno...it took Pouncey all of what, 3 days of camp to not only take his job away from him but send him packing altogether?

Hartwig was the center who replaced Mahan, that's how bad Mahan was...